RP Naming Policy

chimex

Ok, I know naming policies can be viewed in different ways by different people. For example, if someone was called "Dagger", that could very well be an alias or something along those lines.

I found this name in HG when I was on the empire side. I had to log into the rep side to /who it for a snapshot.

http://img585.imageshack.us/img585/2701/v2wn.jpg

For the love of god, BW. Can you please give a hard line in regards to naming policies on RP servers.

Really, ^^ THAT'S the kind of name acceptable on an RP server??!!

:mad:

Looks more like MoonGuard RP realm on WoW... sad really.

The fleet cantina areas on the RP servers aren't much better than Goldshire most of the time.

Just replace night elves with twi'leks.

Edited by Tatanka

Next time you log in, go to server select.

Theres a big warning about how names wont be enforced.

Your server is better off than some of the others though, be thankful for that :)

Yes, it states clearly at the bottom (even double checked to see if memory served correctly :)

However, it's names like this which cause me to openly ask for some form of (loose) naming policy in RP servers.

Edit:

We always, in our guild, like to find the worst names and share them on Vent. We call one the winner and send them 5 credits in the mail. LOL

Or, you could report it, I guess.

Tbh, I usually laugh them off. But this one me mega mad!!!!!!! :rak_04:

Edited by chimex

The fleet cantina areas on the RP servers aren't much better than Goldshire most of the time.

Just replace night elves with twi'leks.

That's too bad. I used to love RP back before the ERPers and their depravity. I will likely never create another RP character again.

This is pretty simple: Find the person, right click on their portrait, select 'Other Commands' > 'Report' > 'Report Player Name'.

If Bioware thinks the name is fine, no harm done. If they disagree, they'll make the person rename. I know there are loads of people who claim this system doesn't work. I can't conclusively prove that it is, but I can say that I've seen literally dozens of variations of Revan (Revann, Rev'n, R'e'v'a'n, ...) and Malak (Malakk, Mal'ak, Mallak...) on Korriban and Dromund Kaas, and... virtually none in Level 55 dailies and PvP.

Now, maybe its just a coincidence, and the people who are so painfully unoriginal as to pick names like that don't have the patience to stick around until Level 55. Or maybe its hard to get to Level 55 without passing a dozen or so people who are annoyed by the unoriginality of your name. Either way, the end result is this: At higher levels, there are drastically fewer characters with silly, offensive, or blatantly-ripped-off names.

(Yes, I know everyone has a buddy who is Level 55 and named "Revan" who has never had anyone question their name. Apparently everyone is playing on different servers than I am.)

ok. fine....ill be the one to say it...ITS AN RP SERVER....no one cares. they made rp servers to keep the freaks away from the people that love to play the game and be social. lol. If you dont like someones name? uh ok here is an idea...put em on ignore list, or ignore it personally, or move on.

They had rules in the Terms & Usage saying they would enforce the name policy. Then they back tracked on it, while leaving that part in there (or have they finally got rid of it).

But to be fair, with all the running around in slave bikini's , maybe that's the name the slave owner gave them and then sent them out into the galaxy to start turning a profit.

ok. fine....ill be the one to say it...ITS AN RP SERVER....no one cares. they made rp servers to keep the freaks away from the people that love to play the game and be social. lol. If you dont like someones name? uh ok here is an idea...put em on ignore list, or ignore it personally, or move on.

Obvious troll is obvious.

It's attitudes like that which demonstrates why we ask for some form of naming policy for RP servers. Thank you for demonstrating my point so delicately.

Yes, it states clearly at the bottom (even double checked to see if memory served correctly :)

However, it's names like this which cause me to openly ask for some form of (loose) naming policy in RP servers.

Edit:

Tbh, I usually laugh them off. But this one me mega mad!!!!!!! :rak_04:

In this particular case...just /report the name. That name is offensive as it has connotations that violate the ToS.

As for RP naming policy..there is none.. so there is nothing to enforce. You don't have to like it, but that's the way it is.

As an aside.. you break forum rules if you post directly or indirectly information about any character or name in the forums.

Edited by Andryah

So What are you going to do if you see my alt Bacon running around. If I was all anal about someones name on a GAME...i would just ignore them. that feature is basically there to make the annoying people invisible to us. Use it. And remember, this is a GAME. Have fun. let others have fun in a way the want. If Bioware deems the name in need of change, it will change. But if they dont, then move on....or go outside.

In this particular case...just /report the name. That name is offensive as it has connotations that violate the ToS.

As for RP naming policy..there is none.. so there is nothing to enforce. You don't have to like it, but that's the way it is.

As an aside.. you break forum rules if you post directly or indirectly information about any character or name in the forums.

Yes, I know there are no rules enforcing naming policies in RP servers. That said, I (and many other RP players) would very much like some, and this is a clear (if not, extreme) demonstration why. :)

I'll need to check up on your last point in the ToS, but you're probably right. However, it's not like this player has any issue publicly running around with "Suckyfivedollar" above his/her head. :(

Edited by chimex

FYI...the name in question...HILARIOUS. They are lvl 38. I am sure they were reported before, and the name is still there at lvl 38. So here is what ya gotta do...move on. Edited by anesvik

However, it's names like this which cause me to openly ask for some form of (loose) naming policy in RP servers

I was originally pretty miffed about this too when I first started. I even posted on some threads about it. Then I found out there have been tons of threads on this very subject, and BW has ignored all of them. Then I got higher level, and saw even more non RP and "abusive" names that go directly against the naming policy in the TOS with gear it takes months and months to acquire.

Then I saw the notification at the server select.

BW has zero intention of enforcing or supporting the RP in the RP servers. Just accept it as it is, join an RP guild, and be happy there :) That troll may be right, it may be bait for keeping the weirdo RPers (there are more than you think) away from the people who just wanna PvE or PvP.

Your server is better off than some of the others though, be thankful for that :)

Actually, it states that it wont enforce any RP naming rules.

But there are still general naming rules that can be reported. Rude names, names that are famous real/fictional characters and some other rules.

Naming Policy

When creating a character or guild name for Star Wars: The Old Republic, it is encouraged that you select a name that reflects the theme of the game. The guidelines listed below outline the types of names that you can NOT use, and apply to both player or character names, as well as guild names.

You may not use any names that violate the General Rules. This includes the use of names that are hateful, defamatory, racist, ethnically offensive, obscene, vulgar, sexually explicit, or any other language that is offensive in nature.

You may not use names that are harassing or defamatory to other players or employees of EA, BioWare or LucasArts, e.g. EASUX, Timsretarded, and Biowaresux.

You may not use names of any EA, BioWare, or LucasArts employee or service related to Star Wars: The Old Republic.

You may not use names of copyrighted or trademarked characters, materials or products, e.g. Coca-Cola or Dr. Pepper.

You may not use names from popular culture or media, e.g. Lady Gaga or George Lucas.

You may not use names that are religiously or historically significant, e.g. Jesus, Winston Churchill.

You may not use proper names of areas within Star Wars for character names. Guild names, however, MAY use the proper names of specific areas to help promote role-playing and realm pride, e.g. Defenders of Tython or Protectors of Hutta.

You may not use proper names of non-player characters within Star Wars: The Old Republic, e.g. Darth Malgus, Satele Shan, Yoda, Darth Vader or Luke Skywalker.

You may not use names containing titles or ranks within them, e.g. General Supertrooper, Captain Tim, Darth Timmy, Knight Wakey.

You may not use names that refer to drugs or that are drug related.

You may not use names that contain an inappropriate phrase, sentence or any fragment of a sentence or Leet speak, e.g. uberhaxer, xxspeederxx, lolface, rofl, Noobwhacker, TimmyF**k, kock, fuk.

You may not use misspellings or alternative spellings of names that violate any of the above rules, e.g. Hamsolo, Yooda, DorthVader.

You may not use gibberish names when creating character, e.g. ajsdu, rifndsw, qweszs.

If you violate any part of the above Naming Policy you will either be assigned a new name, or given the option of changing the name. In addition to this, your account could incur a penalty up to and including account closure.

These are actual naming rules, and anyone violating those rules can (and should IMHO) be reported.

BUT, they will not enforce the rules themselves, players have to report them for them to be discovered and handled.

So there ARE naming rules, despite what some think.

Just not any special ones for roleplaying servers.

I was originally pretty miffed about this too when I first started. I even posted on some threads about it. Then I found out there have been tons of threads on this very subject, and BW has ignored all of them. Then I got higher level, and saw even more non RP and "abusive" names that go directly against the naming policy in the TOS with gear it takes months and months to acquire.

Then I saw the notification at the server select.

BW has zero intention of enforcing or supporting the RP in the RP servers. Just accept it as it is, join an RP guild, and be happy there :) That troll may be right, it may be bait for keeping the weirdo RPers (there are more than you think) away from the people who just wanna PvE or PvP.

And I know I come off Trollish. But I dont sugar coat for people. Its the same in most MMOs...At some point, we as players need to not always have the company hold our hands through the game and save us every time someone is "mean" or "annoying"... let people make stupid names. As long as you like your character's name and story, etc....then its all good.

Some people RP differently then others. What makes your RP so damn important?

I am usually very easy going with RP names. Even more easy going on how people RP. That said, no matter how people spin it, "Suckyfivedollar" is NOT a role play name.

In my OP, I gave an example of how a name such as "Dagger" could be seen as RP, or "Shadowkiller" even (especially for a Sin :p). But, that name in the pic, is clearly not.

Edit:

And I know I come off Trollish. But I dont sugar coat for people. Its the same in most MMOs...At some point, we as players need to not always have the company hold our hands through the game and save us every time someone is "mean" or "annoying"... let people make stupid names. As long as you like your character's name and story, etc....then its all good.

We're not asking for hand holding. We're asking for some small, easy to go by rules to prevent situations like these. If that person did not wish to put any effort into RP, why roll on that server?

I expect if they had no vote to kick for FP's, you would ask BW for some kind of way to help you enjoy your gametime :rolleyes:

Edited by chimex

Actually, it states that it wont enforce any RP naming rules.

But there are still general naming rules that can be reported. Rude names, names that are famous real/fictional characters and some other rules.

These are actual naming rules, and anyone violating those rules can (and should IMHO) be reported.

BUT, they will not enforce the rules themselves, players have to report them for them to be discovered and handled.

So there ARE naming rules, despite what some think.

Just not any special ones for roleplaying servers.

Re-read the notice.

Also, tell that to my servers suckyfivedollas that I know for a fact, have been reported. Hell, one is still on my friends list and I see them every night.

Well heres the thing. You can disagree and strongly state something (even passionately) without being a troll.

This post wasn't bad. The other one was trolly.

Also, I think people are expecting a community - in this case a community of roleplayers. That's wrong by what the company encourages, and well - thats the breaks. I also expected the Sorcerer to be like a wizard in other games and do top DPH damage but have little survival and I was wrong about that too.

That. A thousand times that. It amazes me that people still just assume there is one though.

In honesty, "RP name" enforcement is the single biggest waste of time I can think of for an RP community of any sort to engage in in an MMO.

And don't give me the "but good sir! Seeing that moniker-most-foul spoilt mine immersion!" malarkey, either. Name me a place in real life where people either:

A) Precede every statement, vocalization or action they perform with the phrase "MyName-Colon", or

B) Have big, blue, six-inch-high lettering floating over their heads with "MyName" spelled out in dayglo/glow-in-the-dark neon.

...or please find yourself a new hobby. Like needlepoint.