The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

2.4 Arena is a great idea!

Selout

Ya, areas are a great idea...

And the teams will include 6 sins and 2 operative healers...

The class balance currently in the game would never work in arenas. No offense, BW can't even fix the class balance in both PvP in the game's current state, if we add arenas...

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can we wait to see what happens before we go off at the deep end? ridiculous all this moaning. There are more pressing issues in this game then something which may or may not come in October. Also terminology question, *** is a shocknaut? rage jugger? Edited by stephenalandavie

Ya, areas are a great idea...

And the teams will include 6 sins and 2 operative healers...

The class balance currently in the game would never work in arenas. No offense, BW can't even fix the class balance in both PvP in the game's current state, if we add arenas...

6 sins and 2 op healers, what is stopping 8 stealthers now?

IMO objective pvp is more stealth favor then DM.

In objectives stealth exit can help saving a node, in DM it means some one else is gonna die in your place.

6 sins and 2 op healers, what is stopping 8 stealthers now?

IMO objective pvp is more stealth favor then DM.

In objectives stealth exit can help saving a node, in DM it means some one else is gonna die in your place.

What stop stealthers now is that there are many other factors than survivability to win a WZ. In fact dying to delay enemies from capturing objectives, or to respawn at a more favorable location. In arena it will be a question of one thing; how long can you survive. Classes that can avoid/mitigate damage will have clear advantage.

It's not a secret, sins are the strongest solo class, and Ops healers have great survivability. As dps its most likely be down to deception sins and carnage marauder (maybe snipers). Healers will be down to ops.

For arenas to be implemented successfully, major overhaul of class balance has to happen, and the overwhelming question will be survivability. Currently classes provided different roles and functions (not very successfully) which be coned down to survivability and burst damage.

Guys, take it easy. 2.4 is scheduled for October, which means its still gonna be a while and at some point they will put it on PTS, it will probably be delayed because we all know it wont be an easy thing to implement (class balance and queue matching being the top concerns) and only then we can all say our piece of minds.

I have my doubts about it, but I am very excited aswell. Mostly because as many people have stated IF arenas are going to have 4men teams and less, it will surely allow many people who dont do ranked nowadays to actually go into arena considering the hassle of getting 8 good pvp'ers available at the same time and with the right composition to actually go into ranked.

People are assuming already its going to be wow-like arenas, and even tho pvp in swtor is somehow similar to wow, imo as a 4year wow player I've never EVER had so much fun in pvp as i do in swtor. The maps, the objectives, the abilities the classes have in swtor make pvp pretty much addictive, and even tho i complain about doing the same over and over, i still do it anyway. So i do trust the pvp devs to bring something new. Maybe similar but i'm sure they will add their flavour to it. Just have a little faith and give ur support and ideas to the devs, instead of dooming it with negative impressions.

Lets help the devs make arena something to define swtor as the best pvp in the mmo scene :)

Lets help the devs make arena something to define swtor as the best pvp in the mmo scene :)

I like your enthusiasm, but the term "best pvp" is highly subjective.

Personally, I would never label an mmo without large scale instanced and/or open world pvp as the best pvp mmo, and potentially adding small scale shoebox instanced pvp wouldn't change my opinion at all.

Edited by G-Seven

Chalk me up as someone that wants arena teams to be as small as possible (1v1 even).

The one thing I don't like about wzs at the moment is that it is very difficult to get 8 decent players together every time I want to do pvp. And when I don't (which is most of the time) I am at an extreme disadvantage vs those that do. Regardless of how good I am (I'm not spectacular but I have had moments), I can't compensate for team members that quit without leaving, bad morale, afks, etc.. Even just one inactive player in 8v8s is hard to reconcile unless the enemy team also has them (or the enemy team is really bad). But in a 2v2 or 3v3? It's much easier to compensate for and/or deal with a deliberately bad player on my team (or educate someone that's inexperienced).

Large-scale mass fights are fun on occasion but I don't like them as regular wzs because it's really hard to make a difference in those as one player; they aren't very satisfying to win - I often feel like I was lucky to be on the right side, not "a winner".

Edited by Savej

Chalk me up as someone that wants arena teams to be as small as possible (1v1 even).

The one thing I don't like about wzs at the moment is that it is very difficult to get 8 decent players together every time I want to do pvp. And when I don't (which is most of the time) I am at an extreme disadvantage vs those that do. Regardless of how good I am (I'm not spectacular but I have had moments), I can't compensate for team members that quit without leaving, bad morale, afks, etc.. Even just one inactive player in 8v8s is hard to reconcile unless the enemy team also has them (or the enemy team is really bad). But in a 2v2 or 3v3? It's much easier to compensate for and/or deal with a deliberately bad player on my team (or educate someone that's inexperienced).

Large-scale mass fights are fun on occasion but I don't like them as regular wzs because it's really hard to make a difference in those as one player; they aren't very satisfying to win - I often feel like I was lucky to be on the right side, not "a winner".

this:)))

lol the only people who want premades and solo quers separate is the people who get stomped.

The reality is we don't have the population for it

Would i prefer everyone i qued with was BiS min maxed with 3 buddies in a voice client? Of course. The real problem here is below average players. Not premades

Good players will be asked to group and then join a premade if they weren't already. That is reality. The only people left out are poor pvpers that no one wants to group with

Interesting that you say that we don't have the population for it. There are many people wanting arenas who claim that there is a "whole population" of pvp'ers who want to make 4 man teams for competitive pvp. On the one hand, there are tons and tons of pvp'ers wanting to play competitive team pvp (say those who are advocating for arena), but on the other hand there isn't the population to support seperate queues for team vs team and solo players (say the pug farmers).

I wish you guys would make up your minds.

Truth is, players always take the path of least resistance. Teams are fun and easy when you can queue for easymode pvp, not so fun and easy when the other side has the same advantages as you do.

And it is very telling that you point out that the best players want to play with the best players, which is what happens in arena, creating a few top teams and a bunch of left out pvpers.

Creating shoe box pvp isn't going to provide content and enrich game experience for the majority of players.

Edited by MotorCityMan

yeah pretty much.

8v8 can be a lot of fun when the teams are at least somewhat equal, but lets be real, often they are not. on my server most often you know exactly who is going to win a match before the match even startet just by looking at your teammates and one for damn sure knows whos going to win when you see the enemy team ;). when im standing in spawn before a match and look around and say, well thats a good team and then the match starts and you find out the opoosing team is equally good.. those matches are thrilling, and im pretty sure those kinda matches could happen more often in an arena type setting.

i dont like slaughterings, being on the giving or receiving end of it and chances of that happening in 4vs4 or even smaller group sizes are reduced and if you do get slaughtered at least - to a much bigger extent (then in regular 8vs8) - its your own fault, which makes it easier to swallow and a more personal experience ^^ ... and people who cant play well at all can always continue to roll the dice in the hope of ending up in a winning team in those 8vs8s ;)

i like pvp in swtor more then in any other games, even with only those 8v8 maps we have now, but in any case.. smaller arena type matches will be a very welcome, very needed breath of fresh air.

Edited by FrankyFin

i agree i love pvp inn swtor. and i realy hope they start focusing more on it. and for me arena is a step inn the right direction. i used to love it, i was a huge arena junkie back inn the day. cant wait to get back inn to it :)

found this

there is a few god points inn there :)

Edited by brutall

Rofl, ppl dont even understand that half ppl that log to WoW do Arenas. WildStar will have areans.

What Blizzard says in an interview is just a fcking trick for a fools like some guys here. Its the best idea and this is what competitive PvPers are interested in.

Rofl, ppl dont even understand that half ppl that log to WoW do Arenas. WildStar will have areans.

What Blizzard says in an interview is just a fcking trick for a fools like some guys here. Its the best idea and this is what competitive PvPers are interested in.

i agree and i think this will drav alot of new players to the game that like competitive pvp : )

yes, there is. there are SO many players out there that are competitive enough to play ranked, but cant because they cant find a team of 8. 8 is too much to organize, but 4, 4 will create a ton of new teams and a lot more activity in the high end pvp scene.

It really wont. Unless Bioware restricts skills upon entering the Arena it is doomed to fail and decline in popularity.

To make arena's viable you need:

1. Proper MMR match-making
  2. Lots of participants
  3. Class Balance

Class balance having far reaching implications barring entry into Arena's. The power of the healing/tank combination restricts compositions. With the operative's ability to keep you floating at 30% health, execute-only DPS classes are going to be considered.

Without a proper MMR system people will staff for the worst case scenario which means compositions will be fixed barring entry.

Until any class and any 4 man spec is viable, Arena's will just become like rated warzones. They'll be intensely competitive fights, but nothing novel will really happen that's unexpected making it boring after 3-5 months.

Edited by Yeochins

What is class balance?

With exception of my Commando (nothing personal, but if I'm going ranged dps, I preffer sniper or even a sage), I feel good pvping any of my classes.

When is pvp balanced, is it when marauder has a close chance to kill sniper from 30 meters?

Is it when sniper kills an assassin who is opening on him with no entreh?

Is it when Jugg tank can hold against 3 stealth atacking his node until lazy bum team walks to help him in 1 minute 30 seconds?

Imo it's very balanced now, every one has ups and downs.

Only bad players perform poorly (and some AC trees are more for pve then pvp, but no one forces you to use same build for 1 year with no respec)

What is class balance?

With exception of my Commando (nothing personal, but if I'm going ranged dps, I preffer sniper or even a sage), I feel good pvping any of my classes.

When is pvp balanced, is it when marauder has a close chance to kill sniper from 30 meters?

Is it when sniper kills an assassin who is opening on him with no entreh?

Is it when Jugg tank can hold against 3 stealth atacking his node until lazy bum team walks to help him in 1 minute 30 seconds?

Imo it's very balanced now, every one has ups and downs.

Only bad players perform poorly (and some AC trees are more for pve then pvp, but no one forces you to use same build for 1 year with no respec)

No the classes aren't balanced. Some classes synergize much better than others leading to predefined compositions. Unless all classes synergize equally, Arena's are doomed in the same way Rated Warzones are. Blizzard realized this mistake.

No the classes aren't balanced. Some classes synergize much better than others leading to predefined compositions. Unless all classes synergize equally, Arena's are doomed in the same way Rated Warzones are. Blizzard realized this mistake.

I'll bite.

is there only 'one god dream team'?

all 3 healers are great.

all 3 tanks perform their duties.

all dps have their strong and weak points and similar dps.

Yes, jugg tank can land armor reduction in aoe (but I see far more smashers, and recently, more vengeance). Mara has speed/attack buff. Horrors.

for the record, I'm solo que and not in favor of arenas (but preffer arenas over nothing new for next 3 years). preffer objective pvp.

Edited by Atramar

I'll bite.

is there only 'one god dream team'?

The smaller the teams, the closer things get to the answer being 'yes'.

1v1s are *always* dominated by a stealth class. Always.

2v2s are about who can alpha down one of the opposing team fastest. Stealth still has the advantage here, as well played they get the opening shots.

It is only when you get to larger teams (like 8v8) when stealth+burst is not > all. Even when you start throwing in pure healers, there is a clear advantage in small teams to having a healer that can stealth and choose when to reveal himself over one that from the very start has a big 'kick me' sign over his head.

Edited by Jherad

Depends how arenas will be implemented. Many voices were crying out loud that stealth classes are gonna pown, opratives stunlocking full teams, assassins killing people on a whim... and we mostly see teams of smashers rather then stealthers.

I won't be arguing over high survivability of operative healer, as I have one and I know how easy is to escape from some people, but other healers are not so defensless as they might want to be seen.

either population will rebalance stealth with counters (3 sins vs 3 smash any1? yes -30% aoe damage, but it will still hurt), or we will all see nothing (stealthers only, this will be fun), or devs will nerf stealthers (again) and people will move to stronger classes.

I would preffer a new objective WZ tho. But it seems many people have problems with objectives as it is...

Edited by Atramar

WoW Arena was awesome till they turned the game into World of Magecraft. Bioware should give Arena a shot. Getting 3-5 GOOD players together is much easier than 8. Its harder to get carried with 3 man teams. I bet most people that dislike arena couldn't break 1800 in WoW.

WoW Arena was awesome till they turned the game into World of Magecraft. Bioware should give Arena a shot. Getting 3-5 GOOD players together is much easier than 8. Its harder to get carried with 3 man teams. I bet most people that dislike arena couldn't break 1800 in WoW.

Ask yourself how much fun would it be to play the same team composition and same matches over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over again? That's what arena's were when you had a solid team and were facing other solid teams.

It's intense, but boring. The only thing that keeps you going is having a massive e-peen. If you really could care less about having a big e-peen then it eventually becomes boring.

Edited by Yeochins

Great post! you summed up my thoughts on the issue as well. The pvp in this game has always been very addicting, and I believe the overall balance of the classes is why. I have pvp'd in many other mmo's, and this game has always felt very well tuned in regards to balance.

That being said, we are long overdue for some new content, bolster tweaks, and something going on in regards to world pvp. Looking forward to the upcoming patch