Encrypted Data Cube-credit boom

Zaella

Hey folks,

As some of you have already guessed, we made this change to address exploitive behavior. Players were able to create new characters, and with some craftiness, fairly quickly and repeatedly acquire the Credit Booms from the Encrypted Data Cubes.

Hope that explains the decision. Thanks!

-eric

Since you have to get past the capital planet in order to obtain a ship, how "quickly" did this work?

Literally the only possible thing I can think of is somehow teleporting after the starter planet, which by itself takes an hour and a half.

You can do some dailies during the same time period and earn just as much money, so I really question how quickly it could actually be exploited.

Your post doesn't really explain anything at all, especially for level 55s who have no need of a major experience boost.

Edited by Fluffyburrito

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If they put a pretzel in the cartel packs.. people would over-react and declare that they are taking over real life super markets.

I tip my hat to you for correctly characterizing the forum behavior as "overreaction". :)

Forum hyperbole and overreaction is what I am most likely to engage in discussion in the forums here. I guess I have a soft spot for trying to assist in treating lunacy. And it's like a predictable tide in the forum. It ebbs and flows. A few weeks ago it was Dyes. Currently it's "OMG they putting story in the CM nao!!" Next week it will probably be "OMG they putting pink bunny slippers in the CM! It should be a world drop! oh nooz!!!"

i am sorry if did not understand this Properly(since english is not my first language), but are you even insuniating that we who are supposed to be "overreacting" are lunatics? do you KNOW the meaning of that world to dare and compare to this so called forum "behavior"? is that supposed to be a stealth insult andryah?

you said that in Page 6 right on this quote, where you claimed that lore that is integral progress your game and even pointed out Class story are.

OIC. Actually, let me be more precise for you:

1) there is lore that is contained in the actual integral progression elements of the game (class story, planet mission, etc)

2) there is lore that is contained in disintegral, standalone, not required in any way to progress in the game (ie: the data-cubes)

Item 1 is NOT FLUFF because it adds both real and meaningful game progression + lore elements.

Item 2 is FLUFF because the only thing it adds for the player is some lore.

Please Note: The lore aspects of both 1 and 2 are irrelevant to the topic really. Lore is relevant to some players and not to others. This is the nature of a broad playerbase.

Hopefully that clears up the confusion for you.

1) there is lore that is contained in the actual integral progression elements of the game (class story, planet mission, etc)

2) there is lore that is contained in disintegral, standalone, not required in any way to progress in the game (ie: the data-cubes)

Item 1 is NOT FLUFF because it adds both real and meaningful game progression + lore elements.

Please Note: The lore aspects of both 1 and 2 are irrelevant to the topic really. Lore is relevant to some players and not to others. This is the nature of a broad playerbase.

Does not, Item 1 is broken because we do require to do World quests(after doing it 4 times, ive skipped Balmorra.Hoth,voss and Correlia on my new Smuggler during double exp), therefore it falls into Item 2, now anwers me, what about the dear Companions quest? it falls into two, should it be sold on the CM?

Since you have to get past the capital planet in order to obtain a ship, how "quickly" did this work?

Literally the only possible thing I can think of is somehow teleporting after the starter planet, which by itself takes an hour and a half.

You can do some dailies during the same time period and earn just as much money, so I really question how quickly it could actually be exploited.

Your post doesn't really explain anything at all, especially for level 55s who have no need of a major experience boost.

Yet another perfect example of Bioware taking the shortest route to fix a problem(?) they - supposedly - created.

Edited by Darth_Wicked

So let me get this straight

progression missions = lore

not progression missions = lore but fluffy lore?

So how I was trying too much again?

"Lore is relevant to some players and not to others." And current state of cubes pisses off players that plays this game for story.

They really need to change the remaining rewards to BoE. That way we can at least sell the valor and XP consumable to make up for the lost credit boom. Either that or lower the value of the datacube to blue so it doesn't take up an artifact slot in the gambling pack.

i am sorry if did not understand this Properly(since english is not my first language), but are you even insuniating that we who are supposed to be "overreacting" are lunatics? do you KNOW the meaning of that world to dare and compare to this so called forum "behavior"? is that supposed to be a stealth insult andryah?

This is probably why you and I are having difficulty discussing the topic.

I did not say lunatic, I said lunacy. There is a difference.

Lunacy: as in and pertaining to the influences of emotion and passion by the Moon. The Moon and Lunacy share the same language roots in linguistic history.

By lunacy I mean exactly the traditional meaning, not the clinical meaning -------> emotion and passion that is in disproportion to the context.

Is that clear... or do I need to be more precise to avoid miscommunications and appearance of insult where none is present?

Edited by Andryah

This is probably why you and I are having difficulty discussing the topic.

I did not say lunatic, I said lunacy. There is a difference.

Lunacy: as in and pertaining to the influences of emotion and passion by the Moon. The Moon and Lunacy share the same language roots in linguistic history.

By lunacy I mean exactly the traditional meaning, not the clinical meaning -------> emotion and passion that is in disproportion to the context.

Is that clear... or do I need to be more precise to avoid miscommunications and appearance of insult where none is present?

And you knew that and yet you choose to post it? when it can carry such meaning yet you posted, i am sorry but it really sounds as a steath offense

and plus ive searched that second meaning and did not find it in my physical dic, and nor on the internet "www.thefreedictionary.com/lunacy" so why would you posting something that would sound different than what you would want?

If they put a pretzel in the cartel packs.. people would over-react and declare that they are taking over real life super markets.

I tip my hat to you for correctly characterizing the forum behavior as "overreaction". :)

Forum hyperbole and overreaction is what I am most likely to engage in discussion in the forums here. I guess I have a soft spot for trying to assist in treating lunacy. And it's like a predictable tide in the forum. It ebbs and flows. A few weeks ago it was Dyes. Currently it's "OMG they putting story in the CM nao!!" Next week it will probably be "OMG they putting pink bunny slippers in the CM! It should be a world drop! oh nooz!!!"

I am one of the people who have no problems with pink bunny slippers being on CM, as those are used to make you look... well, I guess someone might find them cool.

But still, I maintain my conviction that story, no matter how insignificant and disconnected, should not be part of CM, and definitely not random drop from packs.

--------------------

I finally caved today and bought the cubes from GTN as a modest sum of 500k credits for all 4, and I find the story to be... interesting, and definitely not meaningless as some might suggest. However, I am judging before setting my greedy Sith paws on Imperial Makeb, so I might be wrong

"Lore is relevant to some players and not to others." And current state of cubes pisses off players that plays this game for story.

Everything pisses off players. So there is nothing special here, just a different piss_de_jour.

If you wish to stay emotionally worked up over the cubes, that is your choice. It feels more like a crab walk pretense of complaint about there being no more class story arcs planned IMO.

Frankly, I feel you overreacting. It's not like these silly, disconnected, and trivial cutscenes mean anything or in any way took away the existing volumes of story content in the game itself.

It's a game. Play it for what it offers, for as long as it offers you fun and enjoyment.

I am one of the people who have no problems with pink bunny slippers being on CM, as those are used to make you look... well, I guess someone might find them cool.

But still, I maintain my conviction that story, no matter how insignificant and disconnected, should not be part of CM, and definitely not random drop from packs.

--------------------

I finally caved today and bought the cubes from GTN as a modest sum of 500k credits for all 4, and I find the story to be... interesting, and definitely not meaningless as some might suggest. However, I am judging before setting my greedy Sith paws on Imperial Makeb, so I might be wrong

by all means those cutscenes are relevant yes, as meaning as those Companions talks, it gives insights on many things, and i think those cubes are the Shroud datalogs.

And you knew that and yet you choose to post it? when it can carry such meaning yet you posted, i am sorry but it really sounds as a steath offense

and plus ive searched that second meaning and did not find it in my physical dic, and nor on the internet "www.thefreedictionary.com/lunacy" so why would you posting something that would sound different than what you would want?

Look... you asked for clarification and I provided it. On a post of mine that was not even in response to you.

You insist on being deliberately combative to my posts, even when I clarify for you to try to communicate rather then miscommunicate. Your are way off topic now... please stop.

Edited by Andryah

Everything pisses off players. So there is nothing special here, just a different piss_de_jour.

If you wish to stay emotionally worked up over the cubes, that is your choice. It feels more like a crab walk pretense of complaint about there being no more class story arcs planned IMO.

Frankly, I feel you overreacting. It's not like these silly, disconnected, and trivial cutscenes mean anything or in any way took away the existing volumes of story content in the game itself.

It's a game. Play it for what it offers, for as long as it offers you fun and enjoyment.

again we disagree, no one is complaning about no new Class quest, we are complaining about Story content on the CM, if you feel its overreacting its your opnion, but those are not silly, disconnected and trivial cutscenes anymore then Companions quests, they are the same in content, go place X in your ship hear what he has to say and done quest over, its pretty simple it should not be on the CM.

So in other words you didn't think it through that players with 12 Characters would take a item that can be traded via the collection and use it on all of their characters?

Players weren't being "crafty or using "exploitive behavior", they were simply using the system that you have in place.

What in your mind is an 'exploit'? I'll tell you what it is. It's using existing game mechanics to gain an in game advantage not intended by the designers.

So yeah, taking an encrypted data cube and using it to gain the benefit from that cube on muliple characters is in fact an exploit. Whether you choose to believe that or not is irrelevant. EA/Bioware saw it as an exploit.

Those that used these items as intended just got burned by their fellow players doing the exploiting. They have them to thank and should be directing their ire towards them.

Look... you asked for clarification and I provided it. On a post of mine that was not even in response to you.

You insist on being deliberately combative to my posts, even when I clarify for you to try to communicate rather then miscommunicate. Your are way off topic now... please stop.

as much as you are, i am simple asking politely that you stop using words with double meaning.

Of course everything pisses off players. But some stuff is valid and some is not. This is important to me and other players who value status quo (not even tiny part of lore in CM).

I'm not emotionally worked up, all my arguments are reasonable and there's no post in this thread complaining that this takes space from planned arcs..

I'm not overreacting, we just seem to value lore way different. To me it's one of the most important part of this game. I don't distinguish important lore from not important. It's part of the history of this universe and should never be in CM.

Edited by Mike_Bluesky

we are complaining about Story content on the CM

You have low standards for what represents story content in a game that set the standard for story content in the genere.

I'm sorry, but if you consider data-cubes to be anything more then sentence fragments in the context of the game proper... that's on you.

Why did I use the term "sentence fragments"? Because you are pissing about standalone 30 second cutscenes in the context of a game with dozens of hours of integrated story content in the core game. Mole HIll =/= Mountain.

Edited by Andryah

You have low standards for what represents story content in a game that set the standard for story content in the genere.

I'm sorry, but if you consider data-cubes to be anything more then sentence fragments in the context of the game proper... that's on you.

Why did I use the term "sentence fragments"? Because you are pissing about standalone 30 second cutscenes in the context of a game with dozens of hours of integrated story content in the core game.

again, Companions quests, ive asked you about that many times, its the same, somtimes its even less than that.

again, Companions quests, ive asked you about that many times, its the same, somtimes its even less than that.

Again... you want to go off topic. What exactly do companion quests have to do with the topic? Are they selling them in the CM? NO. Companions quests though do actually integrate with your character class though, don't they? How again do these data-cubes integrate with your character class? Yeah...... apples meet oranges.

Edited by Andryah