Most powerful Sith Lord ever (essential read)

S_W_LeGenD

Okey dokey.

Thank you.

Probably not.

So you agree?

Same with the B-team in ROTS.

Agreed.

Though those Jedi were struck down with a lightsaber. It is not clear how a contest of Force powers would have gone between the two sides. In the novelization, Mace blunted the impact of Palpatine's Force push. So it is possible that Palpatine may not have been able to overcome that Jedi Strike Team through his Force powers.

I'll take your word for it.

Good luck, bro.

Yes, obviously.

Thanks

Ah, I see.

Thanks again

When did Galen overwhelm him telekinetically. I have the TFU novel in front of me, and all Galen does is throw debris while the Emperor is distracted.

In the visual comic.

And given that both Luke and Yoda are held to be the most powerful Jedi of all time, I don't see the fuss.

As per old sources, they are.

However, in Pablo's compilation, the author chose to not declare any Jedi and Sith most powerful due to lot of updates. He did mention that Luke mastered the Force. However, this would not be the case by DE.

Fact, or your opinion?

Let me put it this way: if I wanted to, I would counter your arguments, but I have already debated this topic last week. I'm not too keen on doing so again. I'm not as patient as I used to be.

Look! Declarations in versus threads are either informed opinions or not, since we have not seen many characters fighting each other so it is not always possible to figure out who is superior. What we can do is that we can use available information to make an informed opinion. Informed opinions are supported by evidence; personal opinions are not. On the basis of available evidence, my informed opinion is that Tenebrae can beat Palpatine. Their are no chances of if(s) and but(s) in this case, if you focus on the available evidence and try to comprehend it logically.

Edited by S_W_LeGenD

• Replies 788
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So you agree?

I agree that you don't send weaklings to fight someone as powerful as the Sith Emperor. Or someone powerful in general.

Agreed.

Though those Jedi were struck down with a lightsaber. It is not clear how a contest of Force powers would have gone between the two sides. In the novelization, Mace blunted the impact of Palpatine's Force push. So it is possible that Palpatine may not have been able to overcome that Jedi Strike Team through his Force powers.

Well, Sidious did blitz them, confirmed by George Lucas and the Revenge of the Sith Visual Dictionary (among other sources).

Also, by that point in the fight, Mace had engrossed himself in Vaapad, which has the added bonus of protection and redirection of Force abilities. This is why he is able to deflect Sidious' lightning, but only for so long.

Good luck, bro

Thanks, I'll try to get it as soon as I can.

In the visual comic.

I wonder how the comic stands in terms of canonicity to the novel and game. They all inhabit the same level of canon.

As per old sources, they are.

However, in Pablo's compilation, the author chose to not declare any Jedi and Sith most powerful due to lot of updates. He did mention that Luke mastered the Force. However, this would not be the case by DE.

It doesn't change the fact that G-canon sources declare them to be the best. I haven't seen such statements retracted, and I'm not sure if Pablo's works are considered G-canon. But if we want to go by virtue of feats, such things could be determined.

Look! Declarations in versus threads are either informed opinions or not, since we have not seen many characters fighting each other so it is not always possible to figure out who is superior. What we can do is that we can use available information to make an informed opinion. Informed opinions are supported by evidence; personal opinions are not. On the basis of available evidence, my informed opinion is that Tenebrae can beat Palpatine. Their are no chances of if(s) and but(s) in this case, if you focus on the available evidence and try to comprehend it logically.

Alright, no need to get riled up. We'll just say that this is you opinion.

Give my own? I think I've already done that, but maybe I will elaborate later.

I agree that you don't send weaklings to fight someone as powerful as the Sith Emperor. Or someone powerful in general.

Settled then.

Well, Sidious did blitz them, confirmed by George Lucas and the Revenge of the Sith Visual Dictionary (among other sources).

Also, by that point in the fight, Mace had engrossed himself in Vaapad, which has the added bonus of protection and redirection of Force abilities. This is why he is able to deflect Sidious' lightning, but only for so long.

I was talking about a contest of Force powers with all of the FOUR Jedi simultaneously; Sidious chose to utilize his martial skills instead.

Thanks, I'll try to get it as soon as I can.

You're welcome.

I wonder how the comic stands in terms of canonicity to the novel and game. They all inhabit the same level of canon.

Agreed.

It doesn't change the fact that G-canon sources declare them to be the best. I haven't seen such statements retracted, and I'm not sure if Pablo's works are considered G-canon. But if we want to go by virtue of feats, such things could be determined.

C-canon actually.

Alright, no need to get riled up. We'll just say that this is you opinion.

Give my own? I think I've already done that, but maybe I will elaborate later.

Put it this way; if Tenebrae can terminate whole Dark Council with a single blow (whole Dark Council is unprecedented firepower to deal with), then this suggests that he can take on and one-shot any single extremely powerful individual. Regardless of power, biological bodies have limitations, even if protected by the Force. Case in point: Abeloth. She lost several of her bodies to her opponents during combat and you might be aware how powerful she is.

So power does not makes you invincible or something. Keep this in mind.

Edited by S_W_LeGenD

I am not sure if some players have experienced this but Sith Emperor can actually "one-shot" HoT in their second encounter as this video reveals:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tC2UcSSGbVs

HINT: That purple FLS which sends the player packing dead.

Everybody should keep in mind that this fight is circumstantial and the Sith Emperor was actually vulnerable during this encounter because he had invested most of his power in a super-ritual prior to this encounter. Therefore, he wasn't properly prepared for battle during this encounter. However, the purpose of showing this video is to highlight the fact that Sith Emperor packs extremely potent powers.

Well, apart from canon confirmation, we have visual confirmation as well.

Edited by S_W_LeGenD

I am not sure if some players have experienced this but Sith Emperor can actually "one-shot" HoT in their second encounter as this video reveals:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tC2UcSSGbVs

HINT: That purple FLS which sends the player packing dead.

Everybody should keep in mind that this fight is circumstantial and the Sith Emperor was actually vulnerable during this encounter because he had invested most of his power in a super-ritual prior to this encounter. Therefore, he wasn't properly prepared for battle during this encounter. However, the purpose of showing this video is to highlight the fact that Sith Emperor packs extremely potent powers.

Well, apart from canon confirmation, we have visual confirmation as well.

I interrupted that ability every time. My Guardian pwned him with 70% health left (I believe). No defensive cooldowns, no heroic moment.

Not making a point or anything because game mechanics are non-canon.

I interrupted that ability every time. My Guardian pwned him with 70% health left (I believe). No defensive cooldowns, no heroic moment.

Not making a point or anything because game mechanics are non-canon.

I fully understand.

Just wanted to see what actually could happen.

Edited by S_W_LeGenD

Sidious is the most powerful Sithlord in History for many reasons , this does not make Vitate weak by anymeans .

You seem to misunderstand what i said.

I never said Vitiate was weak, i just completely disagreed with the Set in stone "Most Powerful Sith Lord Ever" title.

I fully understand.

Was curious about this power event though.

Well, I don't think the power is canon, given that the Jedi Knight survives the encounter. I think it was just an ability put in to make the encounter more difficult. He is the big bad guy at the end.

To be completely honest, I had way more trouble with the final Sith Warrior boss than the Sith Emperor. And the final Trooper boss (well not the actual boss, but his guards).

Well, I don't think the power is canon, given that the Jedi Knight survives the encounter. I think it was just an ability put in to make the encounter more difficult. He is the big bad guy at the end.

Power is actually canon; remember that "swirling storm of pure dark side energies" that Vitiate unleashed on Revan to utterly destroy him? This power seems to fit the description.

Of-course, Sith Emperor was not in the position to unleash such powers during this encounter though due to the reasons mentioned.

To be completely honest, I had way more trouble with the final Sith Warrior boss than the Sith Emperor. And the final Trooper boss (well not the actual boss, but his guards).

Well, of-course game mechanics do not represent canonical difficulties in these encounters; the game isn't realistic in these aspects. MMOs typically aren't.

I wonder how these fights will look in big-budget mediums. Would be very impressive, I guess.

--

B/W I see in your signature that you have the capability to write stories. Very nice.

Edited by S_W_LeGenD

Power is actually canon; remember that "swirling storm of pure dark side energies" that Vitiate unleashed on Revan to utterly destroy him? This power seems to fit the description.

Well, there's that. But it's pretty obvious that he didn't use it in this fight.

Well, of-course game mechanics do not represent canonical difficulties in these encounters; the game isn't realistic in these aspects. MMOs typically aren't.

I know, I was just saying. Some fights are easier than others, but that's not indicative of how strong they would actually be.

I wonder how these fights will look in big-budget mediums. Would be very impressive, I guess.

Probably very impressive. If the TOR trailers are any indication.

Well, there's that. But it's pretty obvious that he didn't use it in this fight.

I know, I was just saying. Some fights are easier than others, but that's not indicative of how strong they would actually be.

Probably very impressive. If the TOR trailers are any indication.

Agreed with every point here.

Will check out your stories. :)

Edited by S_W_LeGenD

I am curious though, what do you make of the Sith Emperor's defeat by the Hero of Tython?

Probably he is just an instrument of destiny.What Vitiate planned could not be allowed to continue.If you remember the exact description of Scourge's vision,it was something similar to Anakin and the sith of his time.The Force just produced a being that was destined to destroy/cripple Vitiate,or at least have a huge chance of doing so.

That is one possible explanation imo.

Also the Hero of Tython is one of the top jedi in Star Wars and it well known that jedi can defeat more powerful sith for other reasons than power alone.

@S_W_LeGenD,admirations for taking the time to do what you did at the original post.However i think you gave too much concessions in your evaluation of Sidious for the sake of being tactful and diplomatic towards his supporters.

Edited by Kaedusz

Probably he is just an instrument of destiny.What Vitiate planned could not be allowed to continue.If you remember the exact description of Scourge's vision,it was something similar to Anakin and the sith of his time.The Force just produced a being that was destined to destroy/cripple Vitiate,or at least have a huge chance of doing so.

That is one possible explanation imo.

Also the Hero of Tython is one of the top jedi in Star Wars and it well known that jedi can defeat more powerful sith for other reasons than power alone.

@S_W_LeGenD,admirations for taking the time to do what you did at the original post.However i think you gave too much concessions in your evaluation of Sidious for the sake of being tactful and diplomatic towards his supporters.

Thanks, bro.

It shall be kept in mind that individuals with unnatural abilities and power often invest their powers in many areas. For example: Tenebrae had invested his powers on galactic scale; simultaneously siphoning energies from huge number of life forms located or trapped on different planets; controlling his children stationed on different planets; continuously performing rituals of incredible scope on Dromund Kaas; empowering Imperial Guard individuals when necessary; and possibly more. He was making such investments to unnaturally prolong his life, maintain his dominance over his Empire and also develop offensive capabilities to destroy the Jedi Order from within without him being required to be on the front lines. His ultimate plan was to gain unlimited power and invincibility and he could make this happen, but the Force had other plans (Force have its own will) and he was treading too far so he had to be stopped. So when he invested his powers further to accomplish this goal, it made him vulnerable at that moment because it was an investment of unprecedented scope. Therefore, not surprisingly, Tenebrae soon found himself under unfavorable circumstances and went down. His plans were brilliant but the Force was not with him.

As far as Sidious is concerned; I have made it abundantly clear that if Tenebrae prepares himself for combat, he will beat/kill anybody; possibly even one-shot anybody. He have canonically demonstrated such level of effectiveness when he prepared himself to fight an entire Dark Council; he had not invested his powers much during that time as a hint.

However, Sidious have a chance, if he gets the opportunity to unleash his Force Storm during a fight. He can one-shot anybody with that power too. Though he cannot summon that power swiftly.

Thus far, Tenebrae is the most dominant combatant yet introduced in the whole mythos.

Edited by S_W_LeGenD

As far as Sidious is concerned; I have made it abundantly clear that if Tenebrae prepares himself for combat, he will beat/kill anybody; possibly even one-shot anybody. He have canonically demonstrated such level of effectiveness when he prepared himself to fight an entire Dark Council; he had not invested his powers much during that time as a hint.

However, Sidious have a chance, if he gets the opportunity to unleash his Force Storm during a fight. He can one-shot anybody with that power too. Though he cannot summon that power swiftly.

Thus far, Tenebrae is the most dominant combatant yet introduced in the whole mythos.

If this truly is the case, then Vitiate would easily 'one-shoted' Revan, Meetra and Scourge. I find it hard to believe he did not see it coming and would have had plenty of time to prepared, and yet he was not able. I find it hard to believe that Vitiate would therefore be able to 'one-shot' Darth Sidious regardless of the circumstances. Vitiate has not displayed any abilities that Sidious could not resist and overcome.

Futhermore, Sidious can summon Force storms almost instantly. And I'm sure he would have been perfectly capable of destroying both incarnations of the Dark Council.

EDIT: The fact that Vitiate managed to destroy the Dark Council on two occasions also does not imply that Vitiate is necessarily more powerful than the DC or has the power to destroy a Force user with the combined powers of the DC. Regardless of whether this is the case or not. Why? Because they did not engage him in battle, and therefore did not have the opportunity to combine their powers against him. Because of this Vitiate can only be considered capable of 'one-shotting' one member of the DC.

For example, if the DC under Lokess were alerted to Vitiate's imminent attack they may have been able to combine their power to ward against it, and may have been able to overcome it because of that. I can't speak for the second incarnation but I expect the same can be said.

This in turn would explain why Revan was able to challenge Vitiate, as he was far stronger than your average Dark Council member and therefore could not be overwhelmed in the same way. Sidious is at least twice as strong as Revan and would therefore also not be able to overwhelmed in the same way.

Edited by Beniboybling

Also, objectivity is not your cup of tea, it seems; Vitiate have canonically received "most powerful Sith Lord ever" accolade which makes him a contender at least. Deal with it.

Just to clarify, and I haven't waded through the whole thread so not sure if its been mentioned/answered, aren't Vitiates accolades contemporary? (ignoring comparisons which could obviously suggest he's stronger than Sidious) Wouldn't that only prove him the strongest sith lord up to the period of SWTOR leaving beyond it in doubt?

Edited by Trimaxion

Just to clarify, and I haven't waded through the whole thread so not sure if its been mentioned/answered, aren't Vitiates accolades contemporary? (ignoring comparisons which could obviously suggest he's stronger than Sidious) Wouldn't that only prove him the strongest sith lord up to the period of SWTOR leaving beyond it in doubt?
That's what I'm arguing. The same would apply to Sidious also.

That's what I'm arguing. The same would apply to Sidious also.

Interesting Debate - Some Very Well reasoned arguments Supporting Vitiate

So Theoretically it May be possible to Introduce a possible Sith Lord in the Future (I mean Timeline wise) more powerful than Sidious

However, it seems that canonically - None that have come before him can be

Also, Rituals can be defended against if you have the right powers

Without any training ,while a small child he killed and tortured his mother and father using the force.He fed on their fear and suffering at that age also,by himself without any training.

Again without any training he killed his real father-a sith lord,he sucked the sanity and force out of him,again advanced force techniques ,at the age of 10.By the age of 13,he conquered a planet.

He never had any tutor up until,decades later(imagine what he would have become by then),when he ate the force out of his planet and thousands of sith lords.After that event there is no need for comments.

Anakin,Sidious and Luke had hightly developed senses thanks to their talents in the force while they were young.Sidious killed his parents when he was an young adult and did it not entirely consciously.They could not use the force in an advanced way,not without any training.

I mean it's at least delirious to still keep comparing him to any other force user user in Star Wars.I guess habits die hard.

Edited by Kaedusz

Without any training ,while a small child he killed and tortured his mother and father using the force.He fed on their fear and suffering at that age also,by himself without any training.

Again without any training he killed his real father-a sith lord,he sucked the sanity and force out of him,again advanced force techniques ,at the age of 10.By the age of 13,he conquered a planet.

He never had any tutor up until,decades later(imagine what he would have become by then),when he ate the force out of his planet and thousands of sith lords.After that event there is no need for comments.

Anakin,Sidious and Luke had hightly developed senses thanks to their talents in the force while they were young.Sidious killed his parents when he was an young adult and did it not entirely consciously.They could not use the force in an advanced way,not without any training.

I mean it's at least delirious to still keep comparing him to any other force user user in Star Wars.I guess habits die hard.

Well like I said this is a canon abiding forum so, yeah. At least I think it is... Edited by Beniboybling

If this truly is the case, then Vitiate would easily 'one-shoted' Revan, Meetra and Scourge.

I think you didn't read Revan's novel properly. Nyriss could actually one-shot Meetra and Scourge simultaneously (she summoned power of such level) but she couldn't do that to Revan. In contrast, Tenebrae could one-shot Revan as well (he summoned power of such level but T3-M4 interfered). You need to understand that scripted fights do not give you the whole picture; authors have to make stories interesting for readers otherwise they would be very boring. Revan was totally outclassed but since he was the star of the novel, author granted him a graceful exit so that fans won't be surrounding his home and stage mass rallies there. On technical grounds, Tenebrae would have no issue at one-shotting Revan and his allies. He could one-shot that entire Strike Team. Got it?

I find it hard to believe he did not see it coming and would have had plenty of time to prepared, and yet he was not able.

Thanks to role of Scourge, nobody thought that the Jedi had sneaked through to attempt to assassinate the Sith Emperor. The cover was blown when Imperial Guards' leader (Yarri) identified Revan (Revan had visited the place earlier), but Sith Emperor was absolutely confident and he decided to toy with the potential assassins.

I find it hard to believe that Vitiate would therefore be able to 'one-shot' Darth Sidious regardless of the circumstances. Vitiate has not displayed any abilities that Sidious could not resist and overcome.

Tenebrae have canonically demonstrated such capability; their is no room for argument anymore.

Futhermore, Sidious can summon Force storms almost instantly. And I'm sure he would have been perfectly capable of destroying both incarnations of the Dark Council.

I don't think that that kind of power can be summoned instantly. If this was the case then Luke and Leia would never had the chance to escape from the Force Storm that Sidious summoned to destroy them. He may summon it quickly but the power itself takes a while to come to full force.

EDIT: The fact that Vitiate managed to destroy the Dark Council on two occasions also does not imply that Vitiate is necessarily more powerful than the DC or has the power to destroy a Force user with the combined powers of the DC. Regardless of whether this is the case or not. Why? Because they did not engage him in battle, and therefore did not have the opportunity to combine their powers against him. Because of this Vitiate can only be considered capable of 'one-shotting' one member of the DC.

Those events possibly represent Tenebrae's peak level of preparation for combat situations; keeping in mind his power on the whole, it shouldn't surprise anybody. In both of those cases, Tenebrae may have disengaged from investing his powers in other areas, and focused on purging the councils. After all, no one would risk prolonged confrontations against such a potent force in single combat because that would be suicidal.

For example, if the DC under Lokess were alerted to Vitiate's imminent attack they may have been able to combine their power to ward against it, and may have been able to overcome it because of that. I can't speak for the second incarnation but I expect the same can be said.

Well, they didn't suspected that Sith Emperor was aware and had gathered sufficient power to utterly destroy them. But it does not makes sense (assumption wise) that those Sith Lords decided to fight Tenebrae unprepared. Why would they risk fighting such a powerful foe by not keeping their guard up?

This in turn would explain why Revan was able to challenge Vitiate, as he was far stronger than your average Dark Council member and therefore could not be overwhelmed in the same way. Sidious is at least twice as strong as Revan and would therefore also not be able to overwhelmed in the same way.

The explanation above is satisfactory, I believe.

The key word is "ever" which have left room for creative liberties. It is not necessary that Sidious may loose his (TOP) Sith Lord position even though the possibility exists but that a Sith Lord have been introduced in the mythos who can actually defeat him in single combat; Tenebrae it is.

Edited by S_W_LeGenD

I think you didn't read Revan's novel properly. Nyriss could actually one-shot Meetra and Scourge simultaneously (she could summon power of such level) but she couldn't do that to Revan. In contrast, Tenebrae could one-shot Revan as well (he summoned power of such level but T3-M4 interfered). Look, scripted fights do not give you the whole picture; authors have to make stories interesting for readers otherwise they would be very boring. Revan was totally outclassed but since he was the star of the novel, author granted him a graceful exit so that fans won't be surrounding his home and stage mass rallies there. On technical grounds, Tenebrae would have no issue at one-shotting Revan and his allies. He could one-shot that entire Strike Team. Got it?

Thanks to role of Scourge, nobody thought that the Jedi had sneaked through to attempt to assassinate the Sith Emperor. The cover was blown when Imperial Guards' leader identified Revan (Revan had visited the place earlier), but Sith Emperor was absolutely confident and he decided to toy with the potential assassins.

Tenebrae have canonically demonstrated such capability; their is no room for argument anymore.

I don't think that that kind of power can be summoned instantly. If this was the case then Luke and Leia would never had the chance to escape from the Force Storm that Sidious summoned to destroy them. He may summon it quickly but the power itself takes a while to come to full force.

Those events possibly represent Tenebrae's peak level of preparation for combat situations; keeping in mind his power on the whole, it shouldn't surprise anybody. In both of those cases, Tenebrae may have disengaged from investing his powers in other areas, and focused on purging the councils. After all, no one would risk prolonged confrontations against such a potent force in single combat because that would be suicidal. These events represent Tenebrae's fully prepared condition.

Well, element of surprise worked. They didn't suspected that Sith Emperor was aware and had gathered sufficient power to utterly destroy them.

The above explanation should be satisfactory.

The key word is "ever" which have left room for creative liberties. It is not necessary that Sidious may loose his (TOP) Sith Lord position even though the possibility exists but that a Sith Lord have been introduced in the mythos who can actually defeat him in single combat; Tenebrae it is.

Well lets be clear that Nyriss was only able to kill Meetra and Scourge after they she had defeated them in a pitched battle. So not sure what the relevance is their. And while I see what your saying concerning the duel with the Sith Emperor I would disagree. 'One-shooting' Revan would amount to this. Those guys weren't even able to get close to the Emperor. Revan on the other hand was not only able to get close but reflects his bolts of lightning back at him. I mean, the very fact that Scourge recieved visions in which the Sith Emperor died would imply the stakes were far higher than you think. (I think we are forgetting how Meetra almost killed the Emperor.)

Regardless, it could be argued that Vitiate was not well prepared for that confrontation. Though he was no more prepared for the Jedi strike team.

But anyway, you claim "Tenebrae have canonically demonstrated such capability; their is no room for argument anymore." - care to elaborate? I can think of no instance when the Sith Emperor has performed anything that Sidious would not be able to counter.

Enslaving the minds of 8,000 Sith Lords? I think Sidious, who has manipulated the minds of billions and completely dominated the mind of Luke Skywalker, would be able to resist such an attack. After all Revan and the Hero of Tython were able to. And the visions of Scourge would suggest Meetra could too.

Absorbing the life force of said Sith Lords and the planet they inhabited? This is largely irrelevant as he did so with the aid of the Sith previously mentioned.

Destroying the entire Dark Council possibly through manipulation of the weather? Well as I have explained that feat only proves him capable of 'one-shoting' a single DC member as because they were caught by surprise, they were unable to combine their power. This is supported by the fact that Revan, who proved himself stronger than the average DC member, was not overwhelmed in a similar manner. Likewise Sidious could resist such an attack, and would probably preempt it given his remarkable ability in precognition.

Subduing a Jedi strike team with a storm of Force lightning? Well only one of them was a Jedi Master and only one of them (the Hero of Tython) was renowned for his combat abilities, and he had yet to reach the pinnacle of his power. I'm sure Sidious would have little trouble defending against such an attack and would likely blast Vitiate back with his own more powerful lightning.

And that's about it.