The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

The Clone Wars "Darksaber" make it available in the Cartel Market

Please make The Darksaber unique hilt and blade become available for both the single and double-bladed hilted versions!

Specifications:

-The core of the blade was black, while the outer edges glowed white -Example

-The hilt was slightly longer than the standard saber length, the blade was flattened and pointed making its general shape closer to a vibrosword in appearance

-Additionally, the edges of the blade were not flush with the emitting end of the hilt, but were slightly off-center, along with the unusual appearance of the blade

-It possessed unusual audio properties: The ignition sound, and hum the blade produced seemed to be higher pitched and softer than heard by more common lightsabers. Interestingly, unlike most sabers, when the darksaber struck another lightsaber, it did not produce a clashing sound. Instead the blade made a "twang" or whistling sound when struck against another energy blade

Preview of it's unique properties:

Edited by RaithHarth

It was discovered during the Clone Wars, and prior to that, stolen by the Mandolorians. Even if they managed to let one of their most prized posessions out of their sight for a second, only one Darksaber existed. So you can't put it on the store anyway, as it goes against lore and would completely cheapen it's importance.

• 2 weeks later...
It was discovered during the Clone Wars, and prior to that, stolen by the Mandolorians. Even if they managed to let one of their most prized posessions out of their sight for a second, only one Darksaber existed. So you can't put it on the store anyway, as it goes against lore and would completely cheapen it's importance.

So whats your point? That's like saying iconic gear is only unique to certain individuals such as Revan's attire yet it's being sold off to thousands of users on the cartel market wouldn't that be going against lore too? The Darksaber would be no different.

Edited by RaithHarth

So whats your point? That's like saying iconic gear is only unique to certain individuals such as Revan's attire yet it's being sold off to thousands of users on the cartel market wouldn't that be going against lore too? The Darksaber would be no different.

Reven's attire is a well known look and they are just replicas anyway. Like buying costume. The Darksaber is just an urban legend until The Clone Wars. You can't make a replica of something that "is just a story" and just expect it to look exactly right. If they made a Darksaber replica, it would look nothing like the show at all. No one but the Mandos know it exists, and the Mandos are very secretive about owning it. This lightsaber is the ultimate weapon against the Force Users. Elder Wand all over again, you know?

Reven's attire is a well known look and they are just replicas anyway. Like buying costume. The Darksaber is just an urban legend until The Clone Wars. You can't make a replica of something that "is just a story" and just expect it to look exactly right. If they made a Darksaber replica, it would look nothing like the show at all. No one but the Mandos know it exists, and the Mandos are very secretive about owning it. This lightsaber is the ultimate weapon against the Force Users. Elder Wand all over again, you know?

Such as his mask? it's unique only to him, sure it's mandalorian in nature but compared to other mandalorian helms it was unique, meaning there was none other like it. Yet it's ok for hundreds if not thousands of users to wear the very same mask?

According to the Clone Wars, the Darksaber was actually stolen from the Jedi Temple by Mandalorian raiders during the sacking of Coruscant which means it fits in with SWTOR lore.

Unique or not it has it's place just as much as Revan's mask does in the cartel market.

Edited by RaithHarth

Such as his mask? it's unique only to him, sure it's mandalorian in nature but compared to other mandalorian helms it was unique, meaning there was none other like it. Yet it's ok for hundreds if not thousands of users to wear the very same mask?

According to the Clone Wars, the Darksaber was actually stolen from the Jedi Temple by Mandalorian raiders during the sacking of Coruscant which means it fits in with SWTOR lore.

Unique or not it has it's place just as much as Revan's mask does in the cartel market.

Revan's mask is a replica. It's just a hunk of metal that LOOKS like a Mando helm, but is not. And Revan was WELL KNOWN. Everyone knew what he looked like.

Yes, The Darksaber exists but no one KNOWS it exists, save for the Mandolorians. They aren't going to go prancing around, telling everyone they have the most powerful lightsaber in history, especially when they are supposed to be in league with the Sith. Malgus would have taken the Darksaber from the temple himself if he knew, so clearly the Mandos are keeping quiet.

No one knows about it's existence yet, so you can't make a replica about something you do not know about. It's like living in 1987 your whole life and someone just out of the blue asks you to make a replica of an Xbox 360. You have no idea what they are talking about or what one even looks like.

Edited by Darth_Moonshadow

I find the idea of black lightsabers incredibly stupid and lore breaking in of themselves....but since they are here...gotta deal with it.

with that said...black core white glow crystals might be cool. We already have white core black glow crystals in game as it is.

I think BioWare should implemented the darkaaber from the Clone Wars in stead of implementing the current black-cored lightsabers. The darksaber is an acceptable alternative to the lore-breaking black-cored lightsabers. (A darksaber is not the same thing as a modern lightsaber after all)

I would have improved immersion a lot (at least for me).

I think BioWare should implemented the darkaaber from the Clone Wars in stead of implementing the current black-cored lightsabers. The darksaber is an acceptable alternative to the lore-breaking black-cored lightsabers. (A darksaber is not the same thing as a modern lightsaber after all)

How is breaking lore with the Darksaber any less lore breaking than black core crystals? Lore is still being broken.

Because the Darksaber is not a lightsaber, this distinction may seem trivial to some, it is vital to me. This way you can have a weapon that has a black energy blade, yet is it not a "modern" lightsaber. It's an acceptable compromise to me.

Because the Darksaber is not a lightsaber, this distinction may seem trivial to some, it is vital to me. This way you can have a weapon that has a black energy blade, yet is it not a "modern" lightsaber. It's an acceptable compromise to me.

It is a Lightsaber. A very early one, but a lightsaber none the less. You can't just argue your own personal semantics to justify a major break in lore and then say it'll strengthen the immersion. It's like a Trekkie going to a Civil War reenactment, claim to be time travelers and then say "well, The actual Civil War might have had time travelers present, so it's perfectly okay!"

Agreed, it wouldn't be that hard to assemble either, at least a Darksaber fits in with Star Wars lore, the current black-cored lightsabers in SWTOR are out of place. Because who knows how many other Darksabers there were, we don't know much about it's history, I mean it's a 3,500 year difference between SWTOR and the Clone Wars is it not? There could of been more out there, just look at the possibilities:

-The Mandalorians could of taken the technology from the one they stole from the Jedi Temple and made more.

-Prior of it being stolen during the Sacking of Coruscant, the Jedi themselves could of made more Darksabers or at least kept a blueprint on how to make them (which wasn't stolen) which would make a great feature for players who use the artifice crew skill.

Edited by RaithHarth

Don't put it in a pack. Please...

Perhaps add it as a Artifice crew skill? That would be acceptable!

This would include it's unique vibroblade hilt (single & double-bladed) that gives it that unique shape and sound when it's ignited + The black crystal with the white core around it.

Edited by RaithHarth

Agreed, it wouldn't be that hard to assemble either, at least a Darksaber fits in with Star Wars lore, the current black-cored lightsabers in SWTOR are out of place. Because who knows how many other Darksabers there were, we don't know much about it's history, I mean it's a 3,500 year difference between SWTOR and the Clone Wars is it not? There could of been more out there, just look at the possibilities:

-The Mandalorians could of taken the technology from the one they stole from the Jedi Temple and made more.

-Prior of it being stolen during the Sacking of Coruscant, the Jedi themselves could of made more Darksabers or at least kept a blueprint on how to make them (which wasn't stolen) which would make a great feature for players who use the artifice crew skill.

According to the Wookieepiedia, it stayed in the hands of Clan Vizsla, passing from generation to generation. It never left their sights and the Darksaber is unique among other lightsabers due to it's precursor nature. If there were any others, they were destroyed long ago by either war or disrepair. There is only one true Darksaber.

Black cores, however, are indeed a bit out of place, but not uncommon. The blacksaber crystal was experimented with by the Galactic Empire during the Domination to recreate the Darksaber and only one ever really got out of R&D (The blacksaber bonus of TFU II). While you can't recreate the Darksaber itself, you could get a true blacksaber going, if only as a very powered down version of what historians would believe the Darksaber to actually look like. That's about the closest we could get to a Darksaber that doesn't break lore. It's a black lightsaber, but it will have the hilt, sounds and power of a regular lightsaber.

Yeah, I remember when they first announced Nihilius's Mask. The uproar was insane.

• 2 weeks later...
dear god no. whats next? the lightsaber whip added? with a black core?

Thats the best IDEAR evva !

LoL i just had this discussion the other day, how does the lightsaber not just burn up everything it touches when its not actively being used.. IE i activated my lightsaber wip, part of its on da floor just burning a nice gooey hole into the ground while I wait for your attack so I can counter u... ;x

its just about as understandable, as one of the strongest sith lords in SW getting owned by an elevator shaft ;x

or one of the strongest jedis, ( at the time ) getting owned by a window...

I don't see why we couldn't have a hilt replica. Even if nobody's seen it, doesn't mean a lightsaber couldn't be made to a similar design. As for the blade, you can get a very similar effect by using a black cored crystal. You don't get quite the right the shape, but it looks fairly close.

1) The period where the Mando's aquired the Darksaber is about the same period that we're playing: during the Old Republic Era. There are NO records prior to their time of aquisition.

2) Only one is known to exist during the Clone Wars Era, however, absolutely NOTHING is known about the time before that. It is possible, without breaking a shred of lore, that more existed, and it was possibly even in mass production or about to go into mass production. (a storyline ending up with blowing up that productionline along with the schematics would definitely serve the Star Wars universe well, preventing more to ever pop up after this era)

3) As an interesting sidenote, the wielder of the Darksaber in the Clonewars was NOT force sensitive, while he was very capable of wielding it. Ergo, if Darksabers were implemented into TOR, they should be usable by non-Force classes as well: Bounty Hunters, Troopers, Agents and Smugglers.

Edited by AsheraII