My gripe with Inquisitor story so far.

Barxus

I have not yet finished the story, in fact I have only just landed on belsavis and I hope my fears are unfounded. This is mostly a vent to maintain my sanity (nope, not overdramatic at all :p )

One of the main draws of the inquisitor for me was the idea that it was partially inspired by palpatine. Now when I think palpatine I think of plots and plans, manipulations and lightning... Well... we got the lightning.

So far everything I have done has been someone elses idea, we hit a problem? Get the crew to find a solution. Do we do our homework to find out about what the upcoming ritual does? Nope, we take it on faith that it will work exactly how we hope it does. Oh crap, the ritual had unforseen conscequences, lets ask the ***** who essentially tried to kill us to find a solution rather than find out ourselves.

I just feel very powerful but not very bright, I certianly do not feel like darth council material.

Why do I never seem to come up with the plan, why do I jump into every situation almost blind.

I am falling so far from the palpatine Image I had in my head. I hope this changes at some point (even if it is in some future expansion) and I can chalk all this up to being a former slave thrown into the deep end of sith power plays and strugling to tread dark water and learning some hard lesons in the process.

Mini-Rant over... Not sure it helped any... /sigh

Edited by Barxus

One of the main draws of the inquisitor for me was the idea that it was partially inspired by palpatine.

Well, it's not. Nothing more can be said really. As soon as you drop this idea, you may find yourself really enjoying the story. Because it's a very good Sith story, rather refreshing and personal. I never read any previews describing it as some "Palpatine power fantasy" so I didn't jump into it with any expectations and I loved it. Edited by Pietrastor

It doesn't really get any better by the end. The best way to enjoy the story is to remove any expectations you had prior.

That said, the story itself isn't actually bad - only the execution is terrible. It has a good premise - it was refreshing to play as a hero who wasn't perfect, who actually failed at some things he/she set out to do rather than simply winning all the time and being the chosen one (like the Jedi Knight).

The reason the execution is so poor is actually an implementation detail that could have been fixed early on in the development - who comes up with the Inquisitor's plans? It should be the Inquisitor, rather than two shmucks on Nar Shaddaa telling you exactly, step-by-step, how you should gain control of a cult, for example. This pattern continues throughout the whole story and becomes especially cringe-worthy by the time you realize that Zash, who should be your mortal enemy, is basically coming up with all the ideas for you. And then there's the "by the way I'm still mad at you." :rolleyes: The single greatest disappointment is that the supposed master manipulator can't even make his/her own apprentice fall to the dark side (Ashara).

Thankfully, the Sith Warrior story excellently delivers on a true Sith-like storyline.

Edited by Jenzali

It has a good premise - it was refreshing to play as a hero who wasn't perfect, who actually failed at some things he/she set out to do rather than simply winning all the time and being the chosen one (like the Jedi Knight).

The single most frustrating thing about the JK story was the embarrassing forced defeat at the end of Chapter 2.

None of the classes really feel like "I came up with the plans!" Because all the stories have you being lead place to place by someone.

Honestly, I would say that the Inquisitor feels more "independent" than most of the classes, though, and that's one of the things I enjoyed about the story. For every other class, you're told "go here, now go here, then go there" by some regular voice over your holoterminal. Inquisitor, you get that in chapter 1, but after that, it feels a little more self-propelled, since it's mostly following rumors. Granted, you're still railroaded, as it were, into following the specific things that you are, but you're still doing it for your own ambition, rather than at someone else's behest.

Honestly, I would say that the Inquisitor feels more "independent" than most of the classes, though, and that's one of the things I enjoyed about the story. For every other class, you're told "go here, now go here, then go there" by some regular voice over your holoterminal. Inquisitor, you get that in chapter 1, but after that, it feels a little more self-propelled, since it's mostly following rumors. Granted, you're still railroaded, as it were, into following the specific things that you are, but you're still doing it for your own ambition, rather than at someone else's behest.

For some it makes sense however.

Now, I haven't gotten to Chapter 2 on Agent or Consular just yet (was HOPING Aspiring Jedi Knight Vest would be in the newest pack for my Consular, so I was waiting to continue on with her :/ And Agent waiting for double XP, as I enjoy the storyline, but hate the Operative AC), buuuut...

Agent, Trooper, Knight and Consular seem very much like classes that would be following others orders. Bounty Hunter is about taking contracts, so being told go here and there falls in line with BH pretty well.

Smuggler falls a little inline with BH, it's about the job, and you're enjoying the ride.

It's the Sith that makes less sense for after Chapter 1, when you become Lords. You're Sith! You make your own path! :)

The reason the execution is so poor is actually an implementation detail that could have been fixed early on in the development - who comes up with the Inquisitor's plans? It should be the Inquisitor, rather than two shmucks on Nar Shaddaa telling you exactly, step-by-step, how you should gain control of a cult, for example. This pattern continues throughout the whole story and becomes especially cringe-worthy by the time you realize that Zash, who should be your mortal enemy, is basically coming up with all the ideas for you. And then there's the "by the way I'm still mad at you." The single greatest disappointment is that the supposed master manipulator can't even make his/her own apprentice fall to the dark side (Ashara).

This right here sums it up pretty well for me.

I get that the inquisitor is more independant than other classes in that I'm not following some authority figures commands all the time and I'm basically out for number 1, but it just feels like I'm allways following someone elses lead anyway.

I'm sure I'm just being overly sensative about it, but it would have been nice to see a bit of cutscene/dialogue where I do the research and come up with the plan.

Dont get me wrong I don't dislike the storyline, its just been a growing irritation. I suppose it makes perfect sense really, considering how quickly we go from (presumably) uneducared slave to sith lord, we're going to be a bit behind our peers in knowledge department until we have the chance to settle into our titles.

Edit: And forthe record I'm fairly certian one of the vids/official posts I saw ages ago claimed the inquisitor was inspired by maul and palpatine - which playstile-wise they are. And I suppose palpatine wasn't an evil mastermind in his early twenties either.

Edited by Barxus

The SI is not supposed to be a tactician so the brainstorming is usually up to the crew. I see nothing wrong with that.

The SI has stated that he really doesn't like people randomly backstabbing him and that's got to change once he's in charge even if that's how he got up there in the first place, so he really has no motivation to make Ashara fall to the dark side because then he'd have to watch his back from his own apprentice. He values loyalty because he knows you can't spend all your time fighting your own guys and still get anywhere. He might not be someone you'd ever trust, but he certainly doesn't want his crew to model themselves after him, because that'd totally suck for him.

The problem is that the game just isn't designed in a way that allows the player to make up their own plans. None of the classes can do it, but for some (e.g. the Trooper) it makes sense to follow orders all the time whereas for the Inquisitor it really doesn't. The Friendly Neighborhood Force Ghost actually calls you on it at the end of Chapter 1. Redacting for spoilers, he says something like "This is the second time you stick your nose where it doesn't belong without even the slightest idea of what is in there. Shouldn't you have a plan or something?" I would if I could, dude, I would if I could.

I'm sure I'm just being overly sensative about it, but it would have been nice to see a bit of cutscene/dialogue where I do the research and come up with the plan.

You're not oversensitive. I was annoyed by this as well. And the inquisitor doesn't ever resort to any sort indirect means/trickery for achieving some goal, with the sole exception being Ashara. And even that is messed up beyond all recognition the moment she sets foot on inquisitors ship.

ps. SW is my favorite story, and I have no recollection of my SW ever being "forced to lose" anything.. Its the SI that has that.

Edited by Karkais

You're not oversensitive. I was annoyed by this as well. And the inquisitor doesn't ever resort to any sort indirect means/trickery for achieving some goal, with the sole exception being Ashara. And even that is messed up beyond all recognition the moment she sets foot on inquisitors ship.

ps. SW is my favorite story, and I have no recollection of my SW ever being "forced to lose" anything.. Its the SI that has that.

Planet Quesh comes to mind as forced to lose.

Eh. You don't really lose, you just survive an nasty explosion. It's not like Draahg went into the mine himself and beat the crap out of you. You just walk into a trap and you walk right out again.

The JK, on the other hand, is forced to submit to the Emperor without even a fight, through some goofy meat-puppet mind control.

Someone trying to collapse a cave on me is not the same as "losing" in my books. My SW never lost a fight..

In complete contrast to what happens in SI story. And I haven't yet played jedi knight story through so no spoilers there please.

As a story device, fighting a fight you cannot win is ok. Showing that your character is still weak, is a stepping stone. It makes you rise above your limitations and finally win in heroic fashion.

"Why do we fall, master Bruce? So we can rise up again."

My issues with SI story are not related to the forced loss. Its more to do about SI acting in a completely un-inquisitor fashion most of the story.

Edited by Karkais