Jawa species = $$$ for you

None of this 600 CC crap. Will pay 1800 CC without any consideration. 1801+, I would think you were greedy bastids, but I would probably pay it if not insane.

No need for voice. Would greatly prefer Jawa gibberish speak, it's part of the charm.

People need to understand a couple of things about races in swtor.

First off, they must be Humanoid, this is beyond obvious but seems allot of people don't understand this so I will explain. Whatever race comes into the game it must be able to wear the current models of gear. This isn't up for discussion it is the way it is.

2nd

Must be able to speak basic. It seems this is something else allot of people don't understand so I will explain.

All playable races in swtor must be able to speak basic on their own, this is because this is a fully VOICED MMO and despite many of you being okay with having sub titles its not only immersion breaking for other players but also would require so much work for them to go back and re voice every conversation in the game.

3rd It must at least fit into the lore somewhat and story.

So for those of you that want Jawa's and can't see that they already don't qualify for two reasons already here is a third. How many Jedi or sith Jawas do you see around the galaxy? oh thats right none because its not who they are and would a romance between a jawa and anyone work out? No it wouldn't, would a jawa be physically able to do the things that Humanoids could do? No they could.

This also goes for those of you that want Yoda's and Wookies. It just doesn't fit into the game and while I agree it would be cool its never going to happen.

People need to understand a couple of things about races in swtor.

First off, they must be Humanoid, this is beyond obvious but seems allot of people don't understand this so I will explain. Whatever race comes into the game it must be able to wear the current models of gear. This isn't up for discussion it is the way it is.

Jawas are meter-tall humanoids

See http://starwars.com/explore/encyclopedia/groups/jawas/

I think we can all agree that the official page for the Star Wars brand is authoritative.

2nd

Must be able to speak basic. It seems this is something else allot of people don't understand so I will explain.

All playable races in swtor must be able to speak basic on their own, this is because this is a fully VOICED MMO and despite many of you being okay with having sub titles its not only immersion breaking for other players but also would require so much work for them to go back and re voice every conversation in the game.

There are conflicting sources about whether Jawas could speak Basic. For example, the Wizards of the Coast Star Wars Roleplaying game gives the Basic language to Jawas as an automatic language. See Star Wars Roleplaying Game, Revised Core Rulebook, p. 323.

There are no G canon sources to which I am aware of which resolve this issue, leaving it open for change. I suspect that most Jawas use their native language in game because they are found on Tatooine.

3rd It must at least fit into the lore somewhat and story.

So for those of you that want Jawa's and can't see that they already don't qualify for two reasons already here is a third. How many Jedi or sith Jawas do you see around the galaxy? oh thats right none because its not who they are and would a romance between a jawa and anyone work out? No it wouldn't, would a jawa be physically able to do the things that Humanoids could do? No they could.

This also goes for those of you that want Yoda's and Wookies. It just doesn't fit into the game and while I agree it would be cool its never going to happen.

How many Cathar Jedi and Sith do we see in the source material?

How many Cathar Jedi and Sith do we see in the source material?

Not to mention the imperial storyline on Tatooine shows Force Sensitivity in jawas is common enough that they have freaking -training camps- for them. And there's also allready been a jawa Jedi (Akial) outside of TOR who, should be noted, spoke Basic just fine. "Ohhhh, but that's expanded universe and not strictly canon" people will say... yes well, TOR is EU too.

Of course I don't see it as realistic we'll ever get playable jawas. Reworking cut scenes, armour models, combat animations... there's simply a bit too much for the developers to do to make it realistic seeing as TOR isn't having dump trucks of money delivered to them each tday. Also the jawas would need a complete re-design as the ones currently in the game wear rubber raincoats and look like something out of a cartoon with their odd glued-on yellow light eyes. Why they do not look like the concept art the forum avatars has is beyond me. I'd like them too, but it won't happen.

But saying they can't be playable due to not speaking Basic or having the capability of being Jedi/Sith is incorrect and ignorant.

Edited by Pscyon

Not to mention the imperial storyline on Tatooine shows Force Sensitivity in jawas is common enough that they have freaking -training camps- for them. And there's also allready been a jawa Jedi (Akial) outside of TOR who, should be noted, spoke Basic just fine. "Ohhhh, but that's expanded universe and not strictly canon" people will say... yes well, TOR is EU too.

Quite right.

Of course I don't see it as realistic we'll ever get playable jawas. Reworking cut scenes, armour models, combat animations... there's simply a bit too much for the developers to do to make it realistic seeing as TOR isn't having dump trucks of money delivered to them each tday. Also the jawas would need a complete re-design as the ones currently in the game wear rubber raincoats and look like something out of a cartoon with their odd glued-on yellow light eyes. Why they do not look like the concept art the forum avatars has is beyond me. I'd like them too, but it won't happen.

Hence why I am willing to spend quite a bit to have them. Realistically, jawas would need certain restrictions that might make this a non-starter for the devs. For one, I think relationships would just need to be off-limits. Although the kissing scenes could be quite cute! :jawa_confused:

I think one of the biggest technical limitations though might be their stature would make it difficult for them to have the camera pointed the right way during cut-scenes.

None of this 600 CC crap. Will pay 1800 CC without any consideration. 1801+, I would think you were greedy bastids, but I would probably pay it if not insane.

No need for voice. Would greatly prefer Jawa gibberish speak, it's part of the charm.

Absolutely would roll a Jawa juggernaut. Leave it jawaspeak.

JUST SHUT UP AND TAKE MY CARTEL COINS

Quite right.

Not only that but i think i read a reference on wookiepedia saying that Chewbaccas son is force sensitive? and that during his training he used a translator droid that was attached to his belt or something i dont remember. I'm sure it was from EU but hey there it is.

All this talk of "thats not canon" is BS imo...we have people running around in bikini slave outfits and assault cannons or lightsabers, we have Imp races on Rep side and Rep races on Imp side due to race unlocks. I have an Imperial Officer telling my Cathar Bounty Hunter this "Hunter you must slay these Cathar, they are beneath us blah blah" and my Cathar BH just stands there with her arms crossed and with her best poker face she says "ok sure thing". I think it's safe the say that the "we cant do that its not canon" argument is getting thinner and thinner as time passes by.

I can understand if there are design limitation. But are you going to tell me that the zoom distance on cutscenes is hard coded and cannot be changed to accomodate taller or shorter characters? I've even heard some of the other reasons. The race has to be romanceable? or as someone else in another thread put it "XXXX race wont be playable because they aren't kissable". When it is worded like that i just cant help but think...you know what? i dont even know what to think. Like seriously? seriously? are you serious? kissable? romanceable? you cant be serious right? it just boggles my mind that this would be a reason as to why we aren't getting species X as a playable character.

anyways i'm gonna get back to my game before my head explodes and level my 20th humanoid character...

OK, everyone who want jawas as a playable race and keeps clamouring for them to be added to the game, pay attention, because I'll only say this once: it will NEVER happen.

Completely forgetting about canon and whether jawas can use the Force or speak basic or anything, I don't think you realise exactly what you're asking the devs to do. They'd have to completely redesign the game to incorporate playable jawas. The cutscene cameras are most likely set at a specific height with the ability to tilt up or down slightly to accomodate larger or smaller body-types, but jawas are just slightly over half the height of BT1 characters, which means that if you don't want cutscene cameras to be angled straight down at the top of your hood, the devs would need to add in a new camera anchor for every single cutscene in the game that would only be used for jawas.

Secondly, and even more importantly, they'd need to set up an entirely new set of skeletons for the new species, again which would only be used by the jawas, recreating all the existing animations for the smaller skeletons because they couldn't simply transfer the existing animations to a different-sized and different-proportioned skeleton without making it look very weird.

And then of course there's the question of customisation: how do you customise a jawa? Make his robe a slightly different shade of brown? I personally love jawas - they're funny to look at and they've got a great chittering language, but the sheer workload involved in incorporating jawas as a playable species would not be valued at 1800 CC's, but rather 18000, at least. Please stop asking for things that cannot possibly happen :(

OK, everyone who want jawas as a playable race and keeps clamouring for them to be added to the game, pay attention, because I'll only say this once: it will NEVER happen.

all canon reasons aside.

Some people might now be aware, and they might not consider the technical aspects. But there are also those of us that do (people like me for example) know that there are limitations to the game engine. After the initial "ohh ahh" effect wore off, it didnt take me long to realize that the way SWTOR is designed would make future content harder to make. Yes i want Jawas, Wookies, sentient droid species and all the other non humanoid, unkissable species in the SW galaxy. You know why? cause other games out there are releasing blood elves, pandas, space goats, monks, death knights, wardens and runekeepers. Then i start to look at the trends for some of the new content we have been getting in SWTOR. Some of it is completely new which is nice, but some of it is also recycled. By recycled i mean things like reusing armor models but putting different coloring. And i was pretty disappointed with the Cathar addition. I didnt follow it too closely before release, but when it came out I started a new Cathar toon. When I saw that they recycled the VO dialogue i wasnt surprised. I mean i know why they recycled the VO, but it still left me with a poor impression.

IMO this whole thing just doesnt look good for the future of the game.

I think it could be made feasible to have Jawa and Wookiee player characters, reusing code from the Jawa and Wookiee companions and making a few tweaks:

• They get a few custom pieces (helmets? chest pieces? relics?) that change their overall look, and armor doesn’t show on them, just like on Jawa and Wookiee companions.
  • They have the “character is nonhuman” flag set in conversations.
  • The camera stays at human head height in cut scenes, so you see the top of the Jawa’s hood or the Wookiee’s chest, emphasizing their different height. Play this up for intentional hilarity.
  • They are not romanceable, to avoid the hassle of animating kissing scenes.
  • All dialog is replaced by a random selection of Jawa babble or Shyriwook hooting, avoiding the need for new voice acting.

Though I’ve seen suggestions for Cartel outfits of “Wookiee ghillie suit” that could accomplish the same end (put on the whole outfit and you display as a Wookiee).