The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Best build for PvP puggs?

Is there one? Been away for a while. I know pyro got nerfed hard but I was thinking of trying AP.

Is AP or Shield tech any good? Or should I just stick with my mara and operative for now?

thx.

Both are pretty good. Probably not as good as operative or marauder but they're also two of debatably the best PVP classes right now for pugging.

Is there one? Been away for a while. I know pyro got nerfed hard but I was thinking of trying AP.

Is AP or Shield tech any good? Or should I just stick with my mara and operative for now?

thx.

Show that you have a character and you are not a fotm reroller.The wzs are infested like crazy with inquisitors(both types) and marauders,and their republic counterparts.Be unique ,play dps powertech.

Both AP and Pyro are not bad,but you are usually not going to be first on damage done,but you have a decent utility.

Edited by Kaedusz

Operative dps isn't on par with the above mentioned classes + snipers,but you can pull of decent numbers if you are good.It comes to whether you want to have a healer(awesome for pvp) or tank as an offspec and the playstyle + general feel of the class.Your choice.

I'll be honest here. AP is a better spec for PUG matches, because it survives longer without a pet healer.

If you have a healer or a tank helping you, nothing beats pyro. It's the best spec for a premade.

I usually just run pyro and put up with dying constantly when queuing alone.

I agree on that. I run around as pyro to... atleast in the <55 wz. It's a hell lotta fun to kite certain "op" classes. Ofcourse you'll die alot as pyro, seeing how AP got the 30% reduced damage during stun, but nothing beats the fun of running around as a pyromaniac. Can't say how pyros are at 55, but right now they are a lot of fun, even if you die alot.

1st rule of a thumb: Use field respect to adjust to specific warzone and team. Yes that is right you need to be flexible, because on hutball you can become BEST control build around all classes, and on Voidstar assault phase you can wreak havoc as a BURST dps.

2nd rule of a thumb: Play different specs all the time. Learn the skills and rotations, You should use specs accordingly to enemy setups also (take antismash spec for antismash, take burster for burst... etc.)

3rd rule of a thumb: If you are looking for an easy class, don't play pyro. This is true because of above two points. This is not true dps spec and will never be.

4th rule of a thumb: There is no all round spec that works well in every game simply because you have to many things calculated into the consideration.

5th rule of a thumb: Your best survivability tool is your unpredictability. Don't run toward sniper if he targeted you. And don't stand (this is for most specs) in the middle of a fight with 2 smashers.

I could go on, but you catch my drift i suppose. feel the class, work with it on daily basis, talk to other warzone participants, train alot, play with setups to fit the talents to your playstyle.

I would say one more thing. For me, at least 7 specs (6 CGC specs and 1 ECG spec) are viable, but they differ. Read forums, try skills on your own. And don't base on what all the people are saying, because they are not right 100% of the time (me included).

1st rule of a thumb: Use field respect to adjust to specific warzone and team. Yes that is right you need to be flexible, because on hutball you can become BEST control build around all classes, and on Voidstar assault phase you can wreak havoc as a BURST dps.

Agreed.

Field respec is a MUST with a PT. On my server at least, we are very defense-oriented. Premades are built for staying power, which includes a lot of cross-healing. Pyro is essentially useless against teams like that, because DoT damage against multiple healers is an exercise in futility. No one dies. I run Shieldtech in those matches to stay in the fight longer and beat them @ their own game.

Voidstar, I almost always run AP on offense and Shieldtech on defense. PFT is nasty on this map because there isn't much running room. For Huttball, I use Pyro and help control mid. If we lack scorers on our team, I'll switch to Shieldtech. You can run in full DPS gear and just pick up a shield generator, earpiece, implants, and relics for Shieldtech and be 90% effective as a tank.

Your mileage may vary of course, but switching between specs is really your best bet in my opinion.

How does field respec work when your gear isn't optimized for the class you're changing into?

Eliminator works great for pyro, but is useless for AP. AP rail already auto crits after RP.

AP works best with combat tech for the RP bonus, but pyro doesn't work well with it because rail doesn't crit as much.

I don't see either of those suits working for a tank, which needs the extra defense, absorb, and shield chance.

How do you guys deal with it?

Edited by Brunner_Venda
Fixes

How does field respec work when your gear isn't optimized for the class you're changing into?

Eliminator works great for pyro, but is useless for AP. AP rail already auto crits after RP.

AP works best with combat tech for the RP bonus, but pyro doesn't work well with it because rail doesn't crit as much.

I don't see either of those suits working for a tank, which needs the extra defense, absorb, and shield chance.

How do you guys deal with it?

How do you want to change your gear, when you revolve 90% of your builds around high impact bolt/railshot and the eliminator is the way to go in all of them?

And for information:

11/11/24, 11/8/27, 8/8/30, 4/6/36, 3/27/16 and couple of others are all based on plasma cell/cgc and HIB/RS reset.

And yes, i do switch for 4 pieces of combat tech when going Tactics/AP - but to be honest it's not that hard to get it if you really pvp....

How do you want to change your gear, when you revolve 90% of your builds around high impact bolt/railshot and the eliminator is the way to go in all of them?

And for information:

11/11/24, 11/8/27, 8/8/30, 4/6/36, 3/27/16 and couple of others are all based on plasma cell/cgc and HIB/RS reset.

And yes, i do switch for 4 pieces of combat tech when going Tactics/AP - but to be honest it's not that hard to get it if you really pvp....

I do have the extra partisan four pieces for combat tech. Most of the eliminator armor is conqueror. I usually just pay the 32K and switch out between AP and Pyro.

I am interested in seeing some of your CGC specs though, and hearing when each is useful. I usually run full pyro, because the quell/explosive dart/thermal det/ double rail shot combo kills healers, or at least it makes them hike their skirts and run screaming for a peel.

Edited by Brunner_Venda

I do have the extra partisan four pieces for combat tech. Most of the eliminator armor is conqueror. I usually just pay the 32K and switch out between AP and Pyro.

I am interested in seeing some of your CGC specs though, and hearing when each is useful. I usually run full pyro, because the quell/explosive dart/thermal det/ double rail shot combo kills healers, or at least it makes them hike their skirts and run screaming for a peel.

In response i'll make a brief take on each of them.

4/6/36 - FULL PYRO - used on Assault phase of Viodstar, Civil War and from time to time also Novare Coast.

The burst of TD (with it's increased damage), Rocket Punch crits and Railshots make your damage much less predictable for healers. The build it'sef is vulnerable, BUT it's offensive abilites and pure burst make up for the lack of defensive cooldowns like "oil slick" or abilities like "Power armor" or "Combust". With Explosive fuel used this is the TOP BURST build (on pugfights i often get 5+k(even 6 sometimes) from TD, followed by 6.5k RS, 6k RP and another 6.5k RS.

The Value is there also in DOTs. You have all 3 BURNING dots, which on the target bellow 30% health take on average more than 3.2k health a TICK (all combined). This Will help you finishing your targets off in 12 sec rotation.

Also take a note that with this build, Alacrity makes into account, and with careful considerations about 5% Alacrity can make a difference (most people would say it doesn't but remember you are always 5% faster than your enemy is).

8/7/31 or 8/8/30 - So called TRUE BEAST. Variation with increased elemental damage (especialy flameburst). Used in same situations as the FULL PYRO, except it relys on sustained high damage Flameburst spam instead of BURST unpredictible from TD. If you are not the fan of RNG system, this might be your build.

For me it lacks the burst making it abit worse for healerfights but it excels more in fights with other DPSers.

Note also the lack of 3rd dot (done by TD). It might be a problem for some. Personaly i dislike the loss of 3rd dot, because Burnout is there on full points (so why not to use it?).

3/27/16 ANTISMASH. This build is a hybrid, bit harder on the heat management but it is very effective againts groups that utilize 2-3 smashers. It Runs around both Prototype flamethrower stacks which make your Flamethrower do up to 60% additional damage, AND Prototype Particle Acceleratior that gives you railshot resets.

You resign from some of your high impact bolt offensive capabilities and in exchange you get two tools to fight shashers and stealthers - Stabilized Armor (reduces 30% of ALL AOE attacks [read smash here] and all attacks that were done on you while you were stunned) and Prototype Flamethrower which should be directly used against any smashers that are leaping you. A good timing can drop them down to 50% of their health after just one flamethrower, which you use against them droping them even lower with Railshot rotation.

This is defensive build used for Voidstar, and all objective defense fights. By the way remember that gut makes huge impact here adding that 3% damage.

11/11/24 or 11/10/25 Those builds were introduced on the forums as: Workhorse type of a build. It's a compromise between punch with sustained damage, AND defensive capabilites. It is a rounded spec that does not excel in any category, but is nice for one on one fights. So if you want to do alot of solo kills, and drop the masive objective fights this might be the build for you. I use the variation of it, that gets Retractable Blade, because it is a 3rd dot, that is there on the target (about dots read full pyro),

There is one other build that is stricktly for Huttball, that i am using to geat extent, but you have to pardon me, because it is somehow private and unique talent setup i do not want to share yet.

Show that you have a character and you are not a fotm reroller.The wzs are infested like crazy with inquisitors(both types) and marauders,and their republic counterparts.Be unique ,play dps powertech.

Both AP and Pyro are not bad,but you are usually not going to be first on damage done,but you have a decent utility.

Funny thing is that I feel my lvl 30 marauder as "weaker" than my lvl 15 vanguard though it's probably just the heavy armor thing :).

I only started a vanguard (I do have a commando, a powertech (shield tech) and 2 mercenaries) and I was kinda inclined to go for Pyro but after all the "it's the easy class" I might switch over to AP, given that the character is very low currently but I'm looking forward to it.

I only started a vanguard (I do have a commando, a powertech (shield tech) and 2 mercenaries) and I was kinda inclined to go for Pyro but after all the "it's the easy class" I might switch over to AP,

When people say this I don't even understand. I have a sorc, assassin, DPS operative, powertech and marauder. With the exception of the sorc, they're all 60 valor or higher. The only subclasses I've found difficult to play have been Madness on my assassin, and Annihilation on my marauder. Every other spec is obvious and straightforward. I played nothing but AP after 2.0 dropped for several weeks. It isn't any harder than Pyro, it just flows less well because Immolate's CD is too high and after your first use of Flamethrower CDs don't line up smoothly so you're left with a GCD of awkwardness. But the general rotation for AP is practically as simple, still relying too heavy on Flame Burst spam for filler and stacks, and its far more tanky and thus forgiving a spec than Pyro.

I disagree. I really dont like AP but its damage out put is much better than Pyro. I'm usually in the top three for damage.

I disagree. I really dont like AP but its damage out put is much better than Pyro. I'm usually in the top three for damage.

If warzones would be only solved by top dps then yes, AP would be good. But the thing is AP is not mobile enough and doesn't burst on move.