The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Status of Class Stories?

iamthehoyden

I have no idea if there is truth to it...but check out swtor reddit, some guy data mined 2.0 or 2.1 and found references to republic class stories on Bothawuthi or whatever lol and Imperial class stories on Ziost with a shared neutral planet in hutt space to continue a world and class story

now this might just be left over from back in the day when they wanted to do this, for all we know that all got scraped, who knows?

they found the info through jedi consular story and found some of the dialogue.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you for the link. As someone who loves the class stories, the comments from Hickman are extremely disheartening. (I'm being kind, there are much worse words running through my head right now.)

I agree completely. What I'm hoping, is that he more meant creating the exact same type of stories would be too expensive.

I'd love to see them find a middle ground between Makeb and Chapters 1-3. Make it unique enough that it has replay value -- but you can keep the "main" pieces of the story the same.

Like makeb. If my operative had been doing something sneaky, rallying up the citizens to join the Imps and revolt. If my BH had to take out key targets. If my SI was manipulating the hutts, and my SW was killing hutts and jedi.

THAT would be ok for me. But if they take away all replay value -- they will lose a lot of subs. As it is, I only stay because:

1.) Have to finish the 4 Republic stories.

2.) Guildmates.

Actually in a recent interview James Ohlen said this was not true as far as cost.

Source: http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/03/29/gdc-2013-james-ohlen-on-how-f2p-saved-swtor/

ROI may be another story.

I hope we see more class stories, but I'm also not getting my hopes up.

That was in answer to the voice acting aspect.

The multiple choices and outcomes however was considered expensive. Now they just have to deal with 2 fraction based stories and not 2 Fractions/8 classes.

Here is what I don't get.

When releasing a new story content, like Makeb, why not have 2-3 missions that further the class story for each class that intertwine with whatever the faction story for the planet is?

That way, class stories continue but don't have to make up for the leveling span of the planet. Just something that keeps your personal story going. After all, your character has to have personal interests. as well wherever he goes. The one major story failure of Makeb (which was otherwise excellent) was the paltry lip service paid to your class story, and then have it all swept aside as you are relegated to being a special forces grunt, more or less.

That dismissal of the class stories and all that happened is a slap in the face, and the paltry lip service paid to it as if that makes it all better is even more of an insult.

There has to be a better way to strike a balance between faction quests and class quests going forward that allows the personal story to continue along-side the context of the war in a meaningful way.

But if they take away all replay value -- they will lose a lot of subs. As it is, I only stay because:

1.) Have to finish the 4 Republic stories.

2.) Guildmates.

Finishing the stories and running in groups with guildies is why I stay. This game heavily pushes alts. The legacy system is designed around them. To say, hey, level all these alts, they have great stories, and look how you can build your own story around them, and then drop the class stories without so much as a whimper at 50 is...sad (I'm being kind and deleted a number of words before settling on that one).

I'm noticing a lot of dev posts today...a dev statement on the status of class stories would be appreciated.

The one major story failure of Makeb (which was otherwise excellent) was the paltry lip service paid to your class story, and then have it all swept aside as you are relegated to being a special forces grunt, more or less.

Opinion is not fact.

My main is a Sorcerer, and as such when i was called out to go to Makeb, take charge, bust heads and get things done... to me that's my story. Sure it didn't specifically say "Sorcerer-X go and do something just for you, get a lightsaber just for you, find a new artifact for yourself"... but you know what, by the end of my 1-50 story, I'm a member of the dark council, I'm the A-number-1 go to guy now, so when a big problem occurs like Makeb, it "IS" my story continuing to go there and deal with it.

My Warrior, I'm the Wrath of the emperor, guess what i do when a galactic problem occurs? I take charge and kick butt... that's continuing my story.

My Soldier is Havoc Squad, best of the best, war breaks out... its my story continuing to go there and help.

I haven't played through with all of my 50's yet, so i don't know them all, but of those i have personally i see those events on Makeb to BE my story continuing, just because its the same story for each class on a side doesn't mean its not a continuation.

I would agree, separate stories for each like 1-50 might have been cool, but it wasn't, and i still enjoyed it.

Edited by Zilik

I agree. I'd just love a

"We do plan on bringing back some level of uniqueness to the stories."

or

"We don't plan on ever doing things too much different than Makeb."

Even just to let us know they are aware that MANY people are playing this game solely for story, because they have done an excellent job with story.

I agree. I'd just love a

"We do plan on bringing back some level of uniqueness to the stories."

or

"We don't plan on ever doing things too much different than Makeb."

Even just to let us know they are aware that MANY people are playing this game solely for story, because they have done an excellent job with story.

It would be great to see how many people are playing the game for class stories, pvp, hard core raiding, hanging out in the fleet etc..? I don't think they have the capacity to enhance the game in all fronts so they will have to choose. So far what they are doing is working on the easiest ones. They probably know a small percentage of the population will play new nightmare mode ops but it is probably easy to implement. But I don't think they can continue this way forever

It would be great to see how many people are playing the game for class stories, pvp, hard core raiding, hanging out in the fleet etc..? I don't think they have the capacity to enhance the game in all fronts so they will have to choose. So far what they are doing is working on the easiest ones. They probably know a small percentage of the population will play new nightmare mode ops but it is probably easy to implement. But I don't think they can continue this way forever

Class stories are more gameplay for almost every player. Plus as one other poster mentioned, there are so many of those class stories that are unfinished with loose ends and unanswered questions. I want to see what happens! :)

Opinion is not fact.

My main is a Sorcerer, and as such when i was called out to go to Makeb, take charge, bust heads and get things done... to me that's my story. Sure it didn't specifically say "Sorcerer-X go and do something just for you, get a lightsaber just for you, find a new artifact for yourself"... but you know what, by the end of my 1-50 story, I'm a member of the dark council, I'm the A-number-1 go to guy now, so when a big problem occurs like Makeb, it "IS" my story continuing to go there and deal with it.

My Warrior, I'm the Wrath of the emperor, guess what i do when a galactic problem occurs? I take charge and kick butt... that's continuing my story.

My Soldier is Havoc Squad, best of the best, war breaks out... its my story continuing to go there and help.

I haven't played through with all of my 50's yet, so i don't know them all, but of those i have personally i see those events on Makeb to BE my story continuing, just because its the same story for each class on a side doesn't mean its not a continuation.

I would agree, separate stories for each like 1-50 might have been cool, but it wasn't, and i still enjoyed it.

You are right, opinion is not fact. Fact is fact, and the fact is, you are not there on Makeb as the Emperor's Wrath but there because some member of the Dark Council begged you and payed you lip service. You're supposed to be serving the Emperor's interests and yet you are being a Dark Council lapdog on Makeb.

That you described everything as you did shows just how little attention you actually paid to the story.

Edited by ZionHalcyon

I can understand the reluctance for them to revisit class stories on a large scale, and I would not be surprised if we never saw anything on that scale again. I'm not completely without hope, though. It really depends on whether they can get the time and budget to greenlight a full class writing project and the Q&A involved in checking them. It may be unlikely at this point, but not completely out of the question. I think they wouldn't want to hint that they might do them and then leave hanging, there has been enough of that.

I definitely think they could do smaller scale class updates.

I play my class stories and all of the side quests since December, I think, with various classes, and have reached Chapter One only with 1 Char.

Of course I do crafting as well, did a bit PvP (stopped doing that), chat with a few friends ...

Considering that, SWTOR is - imho - great for slow story players.

The - imho - greatest problem consists of hiring actors for voice acting. Difficult if they moved away or even died.

Edited by AlrikFassbauer

I can understand the reluctance for them to revisit class stories on a large scale, and I would not be surprised if we never saw anything on that scale again. I'm not completely without hope, though. It really depends on whether they can get the time and budget to greenlight a full class writing project and the Q&A involved in checking them. It may be unlikely at this point, but not completely out of the question. I think they wouldn't want to hint that they might do them and then leave hanging, there has been enough of that.

I definitely think they could do smaller scale class updates.

Seriously, I think thats all we need, is smaller scale class stories.

Think of the movies. Usually its some major battles, then some split off to do their own thing, and then they all meet up again at the next crisis. That is what I think they should be doing. Makeb, for instance, could have had sidelines for each class where they have their own interests that directly pertain to the class story.

I'll use the aforementioned Emperor's Wrath story as an example. What your Warrior could have done is shut down Darth Marr, as your Warrior only answers to the Emperor. After the conversation, you get a call from the Emperor's Hands who were listening in, and tell you to take Marr up on his offer to head the Makeb team, because there is something of value to the Emperor on Makeb, and your Warrior is needed to retrieve it, and the Makeb team makes a good cover for this, as the Dark Council is not to know about it. Then you take the existing Makeb storyline and weave in 2-3 Class quests pertaining to what the Hands sent you to do.

THAT is how it SHOULD have been handled.

I definitely agree about the importance of class stories and companion stories. These are what made the game special, and the hope of more of this, is pretty much the only thing keeping me around.

I don't care about ops or fp, or pvp even. (Yes, I know I can practically hear raiders and pvpers hissing in the background somewhere lol)

To me it's always been about the stories and the characters, and faction only stories, don't really cut it. They're ok as a little perk once in a while, but there is more CLASS and COMPANION stories needed, and I really would like to know if its completely done, or if there is any hope in hell, that we'll have more. I keep feeding the game with my sub and cartel money in the hopes it will be used for making stories.

Basically, i just want to hear from my companions again (other than running around in the world), and hear from some of my class quest NPCs again. Some classes didn't really have strong non-companion NPCs (like the Bounty Hunter). But some did have NPCs that were with you from the first to last quest (like the Agent). Darn the writers for making me care about too many characters.

I married my companion and apart from occasionally moaning about the weather when we go somewhere hot or cold, she never says anything to me whilst I potter around trying to keep myself entertained.

Game is far too close to real life. I want more escapism!

Basically, i just want to hear from my companions again (other than running around in the world), and hear from some of my class quest NPCs again. Some classes didn't really have strong non-companion NPCs (like the Bounty Hunter). But some did have NPCs that were with you from the first to last quest (like the Agent). Darn the writers for making me care about too many characters.

Agent in particular was something that really begs to be continued because

you could go one of 3 different directions - Hand of Jadus, Free Agent, or Double Agent. Each variance begs some sort of continuation, not to mention Watcher X is still out there.

Other stories that beg to be continued are Sith Warrior, and Sith Inquisitor could stand to use some more writing as you as a newbie

climbed your way to the dark council, but what will it take to keep you there?

I agree Bounty Hunter is a bit loose, but thats the nature of a Hunter - always out for the next big bounty.

Really can only speak to the empire side, because the only Rep I completed was trooper, and that actually fits perfectly with just being an elite grunt - thats what being a trooper is all about.

But I'd bet Smuggler could use a lot more exposition, particular with Risha's storyline and Durbillion (which begs to be an expansion planet).

Agent in particular was something that really begs to be continued because

you could go one of 3 different directions - Hand of Jadus, Free Agent, or Double Agent. Each variance begs some sort of continuation, not to mention Watcher X is still out there.

You can get the "New head of Sith Intelligence" option without being the Hand of Jadus, just fyi.

Personally, there's nothing I'd love more than to see Watcher X again. But probably won't since some people could kill him. Though, having gone through that, I never did check his body to see if he was dead, and never saw his body get picked up by Intelligence, so who knows. ;) Also, I'd like to know what Watcher 2 and the former minster of intelligence are up to now. Even on Makeb I get the impression that we haven't heard the end of the situation with Imperial Intelligence.

Hopefully they've realized that most accounts played through Makeb once. It has 0 replay value, as it is exactly the same from toon to toon. If they can see that, and understand it, I'm hoping they will fix it.

So, will we see another 3 chapters of the same individualized stories? Highly unlikely. Will we see planetary archs that are customized for your class? Seems much more likely.

I have over a dozen toons, and have played through Makeb ONCE. When I continue to play, it's mainly my alts to experience all the other class and companion stories, and some from difference choice or gender perspectives.

I have over a dozen toons, and have played through Makeb ONCE. When I continue to play, it's mainly my alts to experience all the other class and companion stories, and some from difference choice or gender perspectives.

That's pretty much it. Makeb has very limited replayability. And for 5 levels that's fine...it'll get old after awhile, but you can hold your nose and get through 5 levels. But if that's all that's coming...well, that's just really really sad.

Thank you for the link. As someone who loves the class stories, the comments from Hickman are extremely disheartening. (I'm being kind, there are much worse words running through my head right now.)

Hickman doesn't realize he's wrong. At that point in time pre launch of ROTHC, they hadn't seen what a massive failure Makeb would be as a "player retention element". Makeb is a couple of day event that made almost no difference in keeping the fanbase paying. This is the absolutely vital point to the whole Cartel Market scheme. We MUST have something to do that keeps us logging in. So far class stories have been the best at long term retention, followed by endgame PvE and in last endgame PvP. That said, endgame PvP has actually lost content (Ilum) since launch, so of course it's lagging as a retention tool.

I hate to say it, but I've noted a steady decline in concurrent users during primetime over the past month as people have realized there is no meat to Makeb and no meat to 2.2. We need some intriguing content to keep us playing. Some new unique class stories to encourage us to level all of our alts at 55 and further would last a lot longer than a 1 or 2 times played planet.

The financial reason TO release this content is to keep us subbing and buying CM coins. Right now, we're slowly losing the daily logins and the revenue loss will come trickling after as subs decline to f2p and eventually to rarely login at all.

Edited by annabethchase

Any chance we could get some information on class stories, Eric? To be honest, a simple confirmation that honest to goodness class stories (as opposed to faction-based stories) are being developed would go a long way.

The Devs have already said in multiple interviews and Q&A's that they are focused on faction-specific stories going forward rather than class stories (although never say never). This info has been pointed out in the forums repeatedly when this same topic pops up every few days.

The Devs have already said in multiple interviews and Q&A's that they are focused on faction-specific stories going forward rather than class stories (although never say never). This info has been pointed out in the forums repeatedly when this same topic pops up every few days.

They said this before they had the data showing Makeb didn't last long enough.

Hickman doesn't realize he's wrong. At that point in time pre launch of ROTHC, they hadn't seen what a massive failure Makeb would be as a "player retention element". Makeb is a couple of day event that made almost no difference in keeping the fanbase paying. This is the absolutely vital point to the whole Cartel Market scheme. We MUST have something to do that keeps us logging in. So far class stories have been the best at long term retention, followed by endgame PvE and in last endgame PvP. That said, endgame PvP has actually lost content (Ilum) since launch, so of course it's lagging as a retention tool.

I hate to say it, but I've noted a steady decline in concurrent users during primetime over the past month as people have realized there is no meat to Makeb and no meat to 2.2. We need some intriguing content to keep us playing. Some new unique class stories to encourage us to level all of our alts at 55 and further would last a lot longer than a 1 or 2 times played planet.

The financial reason TO release this content is to keep us subbing and buying CM coins. Right now, we're slowly losing the daily logins and the revenue loss will come trickling after as subs decline to f2p and eventually to rarely login at all.

indeed

makeb was nice for and imperial agent or trooper, not for a sith inquisitor or a smuggler. makeb has little to no replayability and that is bad for a game where replayability is one of selling feature e.g. running thru a planet with different classes