Why do some people want Bolster removed from ranked wz

Alizaro

I'm just curious. I know bolster is a jacked up mess but why wouldn't people on the more organized teams want new blood? I keep seeing this request throughout the pvp forum, hoping for clarification here.

There are some items that will bolster higher than conqueror and not everybody has access to them. This is a similar problem to the old flash frozen ice trick. It's a bug that some are abusing to gain small advantages over others. BUT, ranked games are so tight right now that small advantages make the difference whether they are legal or illegal. It all comes down to whether the community believes it's working as intended or not.

If people are so new that they don't have the least amount of gear they're probably not ready for rateds so I don't think it would have an impact on the population.

Possibility of everyone on the team being experienced players but on new chars? Slim.

I started to do the sensible thing and put some level 54 crafted gear on my shadow rather than conqueror. It works way better as Bolster gives me better stats. This should express one reason why bolster needs to be removed.

Here's my reasoning... (and this is 55 Bolster only - below 55, it seems to work fine'ish)

Bolster is only trying to accomplish one thing - a minimum Expertise value.

The solution to both WZ and open world PvP issues is innate Expertise, not gimmicky Bolster. 1500 innate Expertise would be the easy fix for both buggy Bolster and open world encounters. Once gear Expertise>1500, use gear as the basis. Scale it as players level, add in Valor as a bonus if you'd like, but Bolster, as Bioware currently has it at 55, is a buggy mess that never needed to happen.

If people are so new that they don't have the least amount of gear they're probably not ready for rateds so I don't think it would have an impact on the population.

Possibility of everyone on the team being experienced players but on new chars? Slim.

Just as an example, I've got a 50 I'm waiting to bring up to 55. I've got 4 chars, valor rank 81 to 100. I've got a pretty good idea how to play. I don't see why it'd hurt to have that player compete once I've got a little gear on it.

It's hard enough with gear getting a team to mesh and actually give the more veteran teams any sort of competition when everyone's sporting conqueror gear or at the min itemized partisan. Not allowing bolster will simply hurt the evolution of the newer players.

Is it more of a "I've put in the hours so should you" deal?

Just as an example, I've got a 50 I'm waiting to bring up to 55. I've got 4 chars, valor rank 81 to 100. I've got a pretty good idea how to play. I don't see why it'd hurt to have that player compete once I've got a little gear on it.

It's hard enough with gear getting a team to mesh and actually give the more veteran teams any sort of competition when everyone's sporting conqueror gear or at the min itemized partisan. Not allowing bolster will simply hurt the evolution of the newer players.

Is it more of a "I've put in the hours so should you" deal?

A working as intended bolster, which nobody has any issues with, would be fine.

The problem is, it's not working as intended, and some PvP gear can be circumvented with other crafted pieces. It's not that people hate bolster to just hate it, there are valid reasons, one being the team never fully tested this before we were forced to eat it.

Edited by Pistols

Here's my reasoning... (and this is 55 Bolster only - below 55, it seems to work fine'ish)

Bolster is only trying to accomplish one thing - a minimum Expertise value.

The solution to both WZ and open world PvP issues is innate Expertise, not gimmicky Bolster. 1500 innate Expertise would be the easy fix for both buggy Bolster and open world encounters. Once gear Expertise>1500, use gear as the basis. Scale it as players level, add in Valor as a bonus if you'd like, but Bolster, as Bioware currently has it at 55, is a buggy mess that never needed to happen.

I think your issue is with bolster itself. I understand the frustration, I don't like it either but BW does. Just don't understand why people want it to not work in rateds, nothing to do with 55 plus.

I think your issue is with bolster itself. I understand the frustration, I don't like it either but BW does. Just don't understand why people want it to not work in rateds, nothing to do with 55 plus.

Did you even read what I wrote above?

:rolleyes:

A working as intended bolster, which nobody has any issues with, would be fine.

The problem is, it's not working as intended, and some PvP gear can be circumvented with other crafted pieces. It's not that people hate bolster to just hate it, there are valid reasons, one being the team never fully tested this before we were forced to eat it.

^^This

Ranked is dead right now because bolster is so jacked up that you've got guilds running around in crafted purples increasing their stats by sizeable percentages while tacking almost no hit to expertise. It's creating an even larger gear gap than what already existed and people just don't want to deal with it. If bolster was removed from ranked it would at least establish an understandable baseline for gearing and more people would be interested in doing ranked matches. As it is, bolster seems to have mostly killed ranked matches (servers may vary) and there's no end to it in the foreseeable future. Top guilds have even publicly stated that they're exploiting the broken bolster system because they see no reason to "gimp" themselves by using PvP gear when the system is broken. In the end, the answer to the question seems really obvious.

I have barely played my Commando since 2.0 and the whole reason behind that is bolster. I'm tired of trying to keep up with what is the new buggy piece of gear to get. First it was naked, then it was empty shells, then it was removing augments, then it was removing enhancements and now it's 54 crafted gear. I just don't have the patience for it.

I don't usually play ranked but why would I want to when there is a possibility the other team figured out that the lvl 34 unmoddable legacy gear bolsters even better than the PvP gear I spent thousands of comms on. And then we all move on to the next cycle of getting some stupid gear we shouldn't need to PvP.

I have seen a bunch of much more elegant and simpler solutions for bolster than what BW has in place now. It's been months now that we are dealing with this mess and frankly it's getting old. Either fix it or get rid of it.