Need For Companion

TyeJae

I just said this in another thread, but it may get overlooked because it's turned into an flame war, so I'm gonna see what people think.

I think TOR should implement a "Need for Companion" button when rolling. I just think it needs to be there. This would solve the issue of people wanting items for their companions and winning those items over people who actually need them for their character.

What do you guys think?

If your companion didn't participate in the group encounter, then it doesn't deserve loot. Win it with a greed roll.

Yeah but if you truly need it for your companion and someone else is just going to vender/gm it then you have need for it. It's a fair way to split up items for companions.

That logic is terrible, so I'm assuming your trolling.

how is it terrible? it's exactly what will happen. hell, i'd do it just because I know other people will be doing it and I don't wanna be screwed out of loot. a trust system will not work in a multiplayer game.

Edited by SunwindIon

how is it terrible? it's exactly what will happen. hell, i'd do it just because I know other people will be doing it and I don't wanna be screwed out of loot. a trust system will not work in a multiplayer game.

And your the type of person that would be put on my special list.

The major problem I see with "Need for Companion" is that by end-game, every class has basically the same set of companions. Ranged Tank, Melee Tank, Ranged DPS, Melee DPS, and Healer.

There's not an item I "need for my companion" that everyone else in the party couldn't also need for their companion. So, a "Need for Companion" option is really indistinguishable from "Greed", except that someone who "Greeds" an item might sell it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JansanRuno

Which companion? Everyone has tank, healer, and DPS companions. Everyone just will need everything.

That logic is terrible, so I'm assuming your trolling.

Umm--by the time you have three companions--your companions will use the spectrum of gear. i.e. I can use Heavy, Medium, and Light. The idea people will not roll need for the companions is crazy--at least half the groups I've been in, someone rolls need for their pet. No one really minds on the green gear--but the blue and orange stuff tends to get folks upset.

I think of companions as alts. Nice to gear them up--but not before mains.

A lot of people are steering the conversation away from what the original intent of having "Need for Companion". It's so that those people that actually "Need" the item for their main aren't losing the roll to someone who wants it for their companion. And people who want the item for their companion aren't losing the roll to someone who just wants to sell it.