Chat shortcuts

SettGirkkurn

Ok, I am not uber PVPer, but love to go into wz occasionally and play against other players. Considering that all warzones are objective based, there are some issues that I have encountered while playing (its not related to bolster, gear, smash monkeys, scamper being op, healing being op or anything that complicated).

Now, being regular human, with only two hands and five fingers on each I have difficulties when I have to call in incoming on chat, number, type and what not, and at the same time being able to try to stop them from capping/scoring. I know that there are out there leet PVPers cross-breed with octopuses with 8 hands, 20 tentacles and 48 fingers that dont have any issues doing that, but for majority of people it might be a problem. Mistyping INC(oming) with OMV makes you wonder are they trying to say that there is OMV gas station attacking pylon or they are talking about Open Media Vault. Or they are simply high and have no idea what is going on or game they play.

Now with brief and hopefully funny to some extent intro, my suggestion is to have set of Chat shortcuts. There is another MMO called World of Tanks that have this implemented very well to the extent where you can select other tank in battle and issue "Follow me" chat shortcut, and in chat there will be written "<username>: Follow me!" and only you will see it on chat screen(similar to whisper). That way, I really dont have to open chat, type something really fast, and keep it understandable. Keypress does it all for me. WoT have several of those that works very well such as "Follow me", "Request fire" and so on.

I really dont know if this would be that usefull, since yeah, i know its not that hard to figure which one is west bunker, but typing it out takes away from you, few very important seconds in WZ combat. I know that there is emotes that pretty much do that but not sure if you can keybind them thus render them unusable.

Any thoughts on this?

Edited by SettGirkkurn

Ok, I am not uber PVPer, but love to go into wz occasionally and play against other players. Considering that all warzones are objective based, there are some issues that I have encountered while playing (its not related to bolster, gear, smash monkeys, scamper being op, healing being op or anything that complicated).

Now, being regular human, with only two hands and five fingers on each I have difficulties when I have to call in incoming on chat, number, type and what not, and at the same time being able to try to stop them from capping/scoring. I know that there are out there leet PVPers cross-breed with octopuses with 8 hands, 20 tentacles and 48 fingers that dont have any issues doing that, but for majority of people it might be a problem. Mistyping INC(oming) with OMV makes you wonder are they trying to say that there is OMV gas station attacking pylon or they are talking about Open Media Vault. Or they are simply high and have no idea what is going on or game they play.

Now with brief and hopefully funny to some extent intro, my suggestion is to have set of Chat shortcuts. There is another MMO called World of Tanks that have this implemented very well to the extent where you can select other tank in battle and issue "Follow me" chat shortcut, and in chat there will be written "<username>: Follow me!" and only you will see it on chat screen(similar to whisper). That way, I really dont have to open chat, type something really fast, and keep it understandable. Keypress does it all for me. WoT have several of those that works very well such as "Follow me", "Request fire" and so on.

I really dont know if this would be that usefull, since yeah, i know its not that hard to figure which one is west bunker, but typing it out takes away from you, few very important seconds in WZ combat. I know that there is emotes that pretty much do that but not sure if you can keybind them thus render them unusable.

Any thoughts on this?

ok let me enlighten you if you are defending alone on a node heres what you do

For arguments sake lets say your defending snow in civil

you have incoming snow typed into your chat bar when u see 3 ppl coming u type 3 and hit enter

now if your defending and stealth pop out as soon as they mez/stun you u hit enter and your You have incoming snow will go into ops chat and as soon as u get a chance to count them press enter again and type 3

Pretty simple way to never be called a scrub and not calling incs and doesn't require anymore fingers

you can see any non-stealth class coming as they are running towards you - as soon as you see them on the way, start typing. If they change direction, run back, or just change their minds you don't have to hit that last key to send the message.

Otherwise, you would be attacked by a stealth class - most of which will open up with a stun. Because your resolve bar isn't filled yet you generally don't want to use your cc breaker yet - so use this time to start typing "1g" or "2w" or whatever - be concise, but be descriptive enough so your team can react appropriately.

Then your focus can shift to staying alive long enough for help to get there.

Other Cases...

If you are attacked by more than 1 stealther at the same time, it might be worth it to use your cc-breaker b4 your resolve bar is filled - allowing you to use a defensive cd/medpack (pretty sure they are off the gcd) - before calling for help - so you don't die in that first few to several seconds. - if there are any more than 2 and it is just you - there should be >1 defender (be aware of how many the other team has attacking the nodes you have)

Be ~30m away from the objective if it takes <8 seconds to cap and don't use your cc-breaker on the first mezz

every class has an ability w/ 30m range allowing you to prevent a cap - but being too close allows the stealther to use their ooc mez/sleep while in capping range which when chained w/ a stealth-out and re-mez or flashbang can equal an instant cap

Also...

keep your eye on the objective door/terminal/panel so you don't get capped while you are dealing with 1 attacker - be they stealth or not - make them have to kill you b4 they get the objective

and Lastly

be accurate w/ the callouts - "wwwww22313ww" "INCOMING 9" or "MAJOR INC" doesn't cut it for 1 or 2 enemy players - over-responding can be just as much of an issue

note to devs, add an option where typing the same number 5x in a row bumps you out of chat... i.e. if "wwwwwwwwwwwwwww" winds up in chat, it is because i missclicked/typed and am trying to walk forward - this shouldn't be that hard to implement and would represent a nice qol improvement

you have incoming snow typed into your chat bar when u see 3 ppl coming u type 3 and hit enter

now if your defending and stealth pop out as soon as they mez/stun you u hit enter and your You have incoming snow will go into ops chat and as soon as u get a chance to count them press enter again and type 3

Pretty simple way to never be called a scrub and not calling incs and doesn't require anymore fingers

just numbers doesn't cut it w/o voice chat - "inc 'any #<4'" might be ambiguous - because that can happen at 2 nodes at once, kind of like using "left" or "right" especially since the side of the map this refers to will change depending on which side you spawn on and even the direction that they are facing

and just because you aren't at the node doesn't mean you can't call inc - if you see a group moving towards another node and inc isn't called, type it out yourself

Edited by jolleebindu

just numbers doesn't cut it w/o voice chat - "inc 'any #<4'"

I believe what he was referring to was an updated count after his preset "inc snow". Similar to typing "1E" and then seeing two more pop out of stealth, I'll just follow with a "3" and perhaps a "911" for good measure.

Personally I don't like presets, I usually end up n00bing something like this "inc snow 3q2er45t34yua32". So I do like most and call when cc'ed by a stealth or the moment I see a red name plate on the horizon.

Also if you move by holding left and right click down on the mouse, you can hit enter to toggle the chat, type your message and hit enter again all while still moving your toon.

Edited by Ridickilis

While I don't think it is needed, I do not see a problem with its implementation should there be enough of a demand for it. Even something as simple as "help east" "help mid" and "help west" could make things better for some.

I'm fine with this too. I pay attention to the players name guarding a node/side/pylon - if you type ANYTHING, I know you're in trouble. Just a number is fine, or even a wwww22211 works.

snip

note to devs, add an option where typing the same number 5x in a row bumps you out of chat... i.e. if "wwwwwwwwwwwwwww" winds up in chat, it is because i missclicked/typed and am trying to walk forward - this shouldn't be that hard to implement and would represent a nice qol improvement

Fun fact, multiple "w"s in japanese writing is actually an equal of "lol" more w's more haha. Though since this is an english/french/german game, i kinda agree with what you said. :p would be nice in game. Happens lots.