The loading screen pollution

kifa

This game is suffering from too many loading screens. And the loadtimes seem excessively long and feel longer with each new patch.

Even getting off at a speeder destination now triggers a loading screen. And the fact that I can see myself being able to move the camera around behind the load screen and using hotkeys makes it feel even more redundant and stupid.

Why is this even necessary? Every time I need to get to makeb to do dailies, I ugh at the thought of trudging through the load screen muck. Get on ship, stare at long load screen, get off ship, stare at even longer loadscreen. And so on.

Get rid of these redundant and obscenely annoying loadscreens and streamline the game, already. It feels like dancing around with a big millstone on each foot.

Edited by kifa

You don't have to go to your ship for dailies unless you are on a planet without priority transport

?

Personally I don't think loading times are that bad

Great... Problem solved, then.

Edited by kifa

Even getting off at a speeder destination now triggers a loading screen. And the fact that I can see myself being able to move the camera around behind the load screen and using hotkeys makes it feel even more redundant and stupid.

You think that is bad? Try getting that loading screen in middle of warzone while fighting.

Altough maybe we shouldn't say 'loading screen' but 'spinning circle screen' instead, as 'true' loading screens don't appear after using speeder.

I believe that if you simply rename the loading screen file, it will be gone. You'll presented with the graphics redraw that occurs when you move locations so experience will vary. On my computer, the redraw is practically instant, so the loading screen was a complete waste.

I believe that if you simply rename the loading screen file, it will be gone. You'll presented with the graphics redraw that occurs when you move locations so experience will vary. On my computer, the redraw is practically instant, so the loading screen was a complete waste.

Will the renamed file be downloaded by the launcher every time ?

Am I the only one who feels that this steaming pile of poo has become a hallmark of Bioware-games? I remember in Mass Effect 2 how I was forced to look at a completely unnecessary and obnoxiously long loading animation every time I loaded a game. After a while I learned how to remove it by MODDING THE GAME!

Is this some sort of weird fetich or a contractual obligation on bioware's part? I am sick and tired of it.

Edited by kifa

Am I the only one who feels that this steaming pile of poo has become a hallmark of Bioware-games? I remember in Mass Effect 2 how I was forced to look at a completely unnecessary and obnoxiously long loading animation every time I loaded a game. After a while I learned how to remove it by MODDING THE GAME!

Is this some sort of weird fetich or a contractual obligation on bioware's part? I am sick and tired of it.

Most the loading screens funnily enough cover the loading of areas. If you can't spacebar through it, it's loading.

Loading screens have become a fact for games over the last few years.

Alot of it depends on the architecture the game is built on.

It is ironic that as we get more powerful tech, we got more loading screens. Not entirely sure why. But it seems Devs are pushing the hardware more and more and forgot how to gradually load things in.

Admittedly, WoW has very few loading screens. But just be glad we are not as bad as games like FFXI, Imagine every time you leave a relatively small area (as in several times per planet) you had a loading screen. (Yes FFXI only blacked out but you can't tell me it wasnt for loading reasons)

Just be glad that, for the most part, when you get to a planet you are free from loading screens.

Edited by ninjonxb

got my game on an ssd.. (cannot recommend this enough)

Loading screens and loading times are measured in seconds..and very few of them at that... :D

depending on your system specs this might be an option to help things move quicker.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showpost.php?p=3780118

Recommending a SSD in general is one thing. Recommending one for a specific issue with a specific game is quite another. This particular issue has been around since the game was made available to the public, and honestly, it hasn't gotten any better overall. Some patches it's been better, but others have made it worse. And all we're told on the matter is that "ongoing optimizations" are in progress, which I'm sure is true, but I have a feeling that these are merely a myriad of band-aid solutions for a problem that is much more integral to the engine than BioWare would have us believe.

The the whole galaxy wide traveling system is very clunky. It has been helped a bit by legacy travel abilities and priority transport terminals, but the epic long load screens aren't getting any quicker.

I hope the space project presents an opportunity to overhaul and streamline traveling between planets.

Recommending a SSD in general is one thing. Recommending one for a specific issue with a specific game is quite another. This particular issue has been around since the game was made available to the public, and honestly, it hasn't gotten any better overall. Some patches it's been better, but others have made it worse. And all we're told on the matter is that "ongoing optimizations" are in progress, which I'm sure is true, but I have a feeling that these are merely a myriad of band-aid solutions for a problem that is much more integral to the engine than BioWare would have us believe.

Reason why i suggested it..

if you missed the point.

was with an ssd I barely notice loading screens anymore. they happen so fast they are not that much of an annoyance at all. Its in the game..its not going away.. can't change that. so find a solution to reduce the impact. And running the game from an ssd is one solution.

Reason why i suggested it..

if you missed the point.

was with an ssd I barely notice loading screens anymore. they happen so fast they are not that much of an annoyance at all. Its in the game..its not going away.. can't change that. so find a solution to reduce the impact. And running the game from an ssd is one solution.

I'm not saying that it isn't a solution. Merely that it isn't a reasonable one.

My SSD still loads the game pretty slow.

One thing that REALLY bothers me is that I can see the game in the corners of the loading screen. I can see my camera move with my character and everything when the loading bar reaches about halfway.

I have this game loaded on my SSD and the load times only improved by a small fraction. My other components may come into the factor but I wouldn't hold your breathe if you were to just switch out a HD for an SSD.

I rarely queue for war zones or Flash points outside of the fleet due to the incredibly long load times. Not entirely sure how they load the part of the world / instance but I have very small load times in Guild wars 2 that has even bigger zones

Also on SSDs and still annoyed by the slowness.

I'm told it's because the game is thrashing its resource files to load textures and the like. Apparently they're not particularly well-organized?

Edited by Major_Error

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.