Why are Cyborgs a separate species?

PetFish

Cybernetic Organism

An organism that has enhanced abilities due to technology.

Shouldn't *every* species be able to be a Cyborg if they wanted? I really feel like they shouldn't be a species unto themselves and certainly not just Humans with implants as they are now. If you think about it, Anakin and Luke are both Human Cyborgs.

Miralukans bother me also for the same reason... they are just Humans without eyes. It seems like any species with that particular Force sensitivity would poke out their eyes to follow this path. At least with Miralukans they could have made them look different than Humans and it wouldn't be so bad, but Cyborgs should be able to be any species.

I really have no desire and see no reason to make any of my characters either of these "species". I'd rather see them amalgamated into Humans and introduce two *actual* different species such as Duros and Togruta.

Edited by PetFish

For that matter, why do cyborgs not have cybernetic limb appearance items in character creation?

If I were to do, or redo, Cyborgs as a race, I would offer the following changes...

1) Almost all race and appearance options would be available. It would be one way you could create a truly customized toon since you would have your pick from almost all of the other races and appearance options.

2) The ability to have cybernetic limbs, or even a droid appearance. I would either offer this in character creation or simply create "covert" armor pieces that would display a robot part instead of invisible armor. So putting on "cybernetic" pants would give you left, right or both leg robotic limbs, depending on type. Same thing for chest, hands and head.

Cyborg species

As well, the following are known species with cybernetic augmentation.

Entire Gank species

Entire Yaka species

Entire Marasan species

Entire Iskalloni species

Males of Rokrul Nelvaanians

thats from wookiepedia. There are multiple species that are cyborgs there is even an entire race from a half frozen planet that are brought up with cybernetic parts. I believe this is the race used in swtor because they look just like humans.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Yaka

Edited by Ansalem

They're also, as far as I can tell, not considered 'alien' in most of the Imperial convos. Replaying as a chiss or a Miraluka I got way more conversation about being a 'dirty alien' that I don't remember getting at all as a cyborg.

I think its been said before but I am going to go with lazy and because when they had done 8 species they promised more would be avaliable when the game went live, just no one thought it would be such a lazy option.

To hazard a guess... Lazy development. Do I blame them. Not really. Star Wars is vast in scope when it comes to species and this game is VERY limited to which you can play already. Cyborgs where just a quick and semi easy way to add one more to the selection.

Makes you wonder if they planned the CM and going F2P all along!

They did. They started a thread about it to gauge the idea way back in beta. Needless to say the outcome did not at all match the consensus of the post since we are now freemium.