The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Are there any plans in the long term to upgrade or optimise the SWTOR Engine?

Tharka

I wonder if these performace issues are not mostly client side hardware.

As I get a constant 120-130fps from a quad core cpu and a single 7950. And thats with every setting on ultra high.

Never had pop up mobs or loading times that seemed extra long.

Only performance issues I have are internet connection based and thats more the network provider.

What generation of gfx cards are people having issues with?

Not current or last gen I would bet.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Those who say that there's been absolutely no improvements are full of hot air, compared to the game at launch its far, far more stable, yes crashes and other hiccups still happen, and every once in awhile I have to wait a bit for something to load but that's with any MMO.

Honestly the ones I see complaining the most are the kiddies who immediately declare a game engine to fail if they cant get over 100 FPS at all times with everything running at max settings and downloading three million programs in the background.

Our codebase forked from Simutronics codebase quite some time ago - at a certain point, the divergence between code bases is so significant that continuing to merge in updates from a coding partner becomes technically unfeasible.

This is the part that I am having trouble with. So are you saying the bugs and graphical anomalies and lag are to blame on Simutronics or is it on your programmers who are having a hard time coding and converting to .HLS ?

We have a team of programmers who work on optimizing both the client and the server, in order to increase performance and the quality of the play experience, increase visual appeal, and reduce downtime and loading time. They have already made significant strides, but many of the improvements they've made aren't as big and splashy as all-new features, and may not be apparent to people running top-end machines.

I've been playing since day 1, and the only changes I've heard of have been visual ones. Improved textures in 1.2, improved shadows in some other patch, improved "clutter" if that is the right word...

However, I've upgraded my hardware over the time and my performance has only gotten worse and worse for each patch. In 1.3 the rubberbanding began and since 1.6 Ability Delay is back and it is worse than ever. I don't care much for visual appeal, as I think this game already looks great. You went for a timeless look and I think you acheived just that. The unseen issues though, that is really hidering the enjoyment of the game have become worse and worse. To fix that should be your immediate focus.

Edited by Majspuffen

We have a team of programmers who work on optimizing both the client and the server, in order to increase performance and the quality of the play experience, increase visual appeal, and reduce downtime and loading time. They have already made significant strides, but many of the improvements they've made aren't as big and splashy as all-new features, and may not be apparent to people running top-end machines.

Our codebase forked from Simutronics codebase quite some time ago - at a certain point, the divergence between code bases is so significant that continuing to merge in updates from a coding partner becomes technically unfeasible.

Can you fire these worthless clowns and hire ones that actually produce results? I'm sure you can find more scrubs from the unemployment office after a career of failed gaming ventures (isn't that where you found that Gabe kid in charge of pvp?) I'm sure he came cheap.

As I get a constant 120-130fps from a quad core cpu and a single 7950. And thats with every setting on ultra high.

Only performance issues I have are internet connection based and thats more the network provider.

GTX 680 and performance is not on par with capabilities of card. BF3, GW2, Tomb Raider performance is off the charts amazing...

Don't you dare say it's the card, having a game run poorly with this level of hardware is not acceptable.

Bring it on fanboy, i'm waiting.

Edited by DesmoLegacy

GTX 680 and performance is not on par with capabilities of card. BF3, GW2, Tomb Raider performance is off the charts amazing...

Don't you dare say it's the card, having a game run poorly with this level of hardware is not acceptable.

Bring it on fanboy, i'm waiting.

Fanboy? Lol ok.

Go crawl back under your bridge little troll... Shoo shoo

i got 680 sli and i7 3770k and 16 gb of ram and ssd. and i can drop from 110 fps to 25 inn a sec. lets say 16 man raids scum of vilany when you need to aoe down a pack of mobs. i drop down to 22 fps :S and right after the fight am back to 110 . its the samme if you try to do a world pvp event 20 vs 20 ppl fighting you lagg like ****.

i would love bigger raids or pvp events with with this engine like its atm it wont happen :(

To me it seems limited by having anyone else on screen. The engine works 100% fine aka I can get 110fps anywhere as long as I am the only one in that location. Whether or not that points to the engine, or netcode or w/e..pleaaaassseeeee fix it! Take 3 cycles of patching away from us, I wouldn't care if you could just optimize the game so it performs with PEOPLE IN THE SAME AREA! This is an MMO, did you hear?

I really hoping these "optimizations" that the EAware rep was talking about is applying to game performance, because if it's "unfeasible" to get the game working properly then that response is pretty unacceptable.

- get rid of warzone lag spikes

- make it so your game engine doesn't fall apart when too many players are on the screen at the same time (IE: make open world PvP viable)

If you get these two things working you will see an increase in subscription numbers.

this game does not properly utilize available hardware. when my gpu doesnt top 45% usage, and my cpu doesnt top 30% usage, there is a problem.

when i can pull consistent FPS >80 in bf3, yet in a warzone in this game i am lucky if my FPS remains above 60, there is a problem.

when standing in the spawn area pre-warzone gives me FPS of 90-110, yet leaving the spawn immediately drops that to 50-70, there is a problem.

when there is barely a 15% performance difference between "very high" and "very low" sliders, there is a problem.

when i am getting 35 FPS on the fleet because there are 25 (JUST 25!) players in view, there is a problem.

Any chance you are running this with 16 gigs of RAM? Been trying to find something that people have in common and so far, to get smooth gameplay it seems you need more then 8 gigs of RAM (no idea why since it wont even use that much - its still a 32bit program at its core) and above 4.0Ghz for the CPU.

Any chance you are running this with 16 gigs of RAM? Been trying to find something that people have in common and so far, to get smooth gameplay it seems you need more then 8 gigs of RAM (no idea why since it wont even use that much - its still a 32bit program at its core) and above 4.0Ghz for the CPU.

Yes I run 16gb of ram. Game is also run off a SSD. Cpu is a i7 3820 @ 5ghz

But I have checked system usage and it barely uses 2-4gb, so I dont see having only 8gb being a issue.

Edited by wookiwwlover

This is the part that I am having trouble with. So are you saying the bugs and graphical anomalies and lag are to blame on Simutronics or is it on your programmers who are having a hard time coding and converting to .HLS ?

He's saying they have done so much work to their version of the Hero Engine that is essentially is no longer the Hero Engine, so code improvements made by Simutronics to the Hero Engine are not easily, if at all, integratable into SWTOR.

Just because it's the geek in me, but has anyone ever tried to download and develop with the new hero engine? I mean its what like $99 a year I think. Im seriously considering it , just to see what problems these guys are facing.

He's saying they have done so much work to their version of the Hero Engine that is essentially is no longer the Hero Engine, so code improvements made by Simutronics to the Hero Engine are not easily, if at all, integratable into SWTOR.

I wonder if they touched bases with Idea Fabrik who know owns the engine to see if they can thelp them out. Now I know a lot is going to have to do with cost but there has to be a better solution that over working (and Im assuming this) what little staff they have for the swtor. Maybe even contract some indie developers *cough* *wink* to sling some code and see if they cant improve performance.

Significant strides and improvements lol.

In beta/at launch, I got 35-45 fps during heavy fighting in warzones. Annoying sure, but I could deal with it.

Nowadays during heavy fighting where most of the people in the wz are in one area, 20-30 fps. That's pretty much just barely playable, and as others have said it's gotten worse as time goes on. The worst of it is the first doors in Voidstar, middle node in Civil War and the middle area in Hypergate At this rate in a few more big patches/by the end of the year I'm either gonna have to build a new rig just to play this poorly optimized game or just quit TOR for good because WZ's will be unplayable at 10-20 fps.

I get better frames in huge battles in Planetside 2 with way more stuff going on, and Planetside 2 is a pretty damn poorly optimized game as well, so it's pretty sad when you have a game that has worse optimization than Planetside 2.

Know what other game had this problem? Age of Conan. The performance in that game just got worse as the years passed, I had to make upgrades twice and build a new rig once just to keep up.

Edited by Stncold

• 8 months later...

Hi everyone, so, this was almost a year ago. Is it possible to find out some sort of update from BW on what's been going on? What the long term goals are (a list from the devs)?

I would imagine that many folks are wondering if there will be any move to DX11 and maybe even a 64bit client version.

Edited by Gawlron

I've noticed little changes here and there, such as improved tent textures in the Mandalorian camp on Dromund Kaas. They do make a difference! Hoping for many more of these little things! Edited by Blackholeskipper