Star Wars: Rebels Has Begun Production

Eillack

I actually hope that the new series focuses on how the Rebels came to be. I really think that the new show shouldn't focus on the rebels right off the bat. Maybe for an episode or two then go back and show how it was formed. Bail organa, Mon Mothma, Garm Bel Iblis.

Show who helped fund and give weapons to the rebels. We need to see Dodanna, be recruited, all the things that led up to the rebel alliance.

Then we can get into the battles and such.

I really hope the first seasons focuses on the build up to the actual rebels.

Have you played TFU? Basically this.

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Never said that it wasn't. Though I will admit, this whole thing with Jedi coming up in the EU and helping out the Rebels is starting to bother me.

Most likely because it's idiotic and goes against everything said in the OT.

Most likely because it's idiotic and goes against everything said in the OT.

Well yes and no, yes because I would like to see the Rebels themselves do things without Jedi coming in and saving the day, yes because it just makes them even more of a target to be hunted down and killed along with whatever Rebels they are helping out. Yes because it just makes Luke not that special when we see him become a Jedi, it would be like..

Rebels: "Oh hey you a Jedi?"

Luke: "Ya thats right."

Rebels: "Oh nice, we got help from a couple of Jedi before."

Luke: "....."

Now its no, because I mean I can at least understand Kota being ok because he has his own Militia to help him out it being a sort of branch from the actual Rebellion. So Kota is ok(though he still needs to die) if just for the fact, he has his own group from the Clone Wars to help him out...sure he may get some other Rebellion support but for the most part he seems to rely on his own Militia.

Well yes and no, yes because I would like to see the Rebels themselves do things without Jedi coming in and saving the day, yes because it just makes them even more of a target to be hunted down and killed along with whatever Rebels they are helping out. Yes because it just makes Luke not that special when we see him become a Jedi, it would be like..

Rebels: "Oh hey you a Jedi?"

Luke: "Ya thats right."

Rebels: "Oh nice, we got help from a couple of Jedi before."

Luke: "....."

Now its no, because I mean I can at least understand Kota being ok because he has his own Militia to help him out it being a sort of branch from the actual Rebellion. So Kota is ok(though he still needs to die) if just for the fact, he has his own group from the Clone Wars to help him out...sure he may get some other Rebellion support but for the most part he seems to rely on his own Militia.

It all depends on what period its set in. I doubt its going to be set in the Rebellion era or the years building up to that, because they have already been fleshed out, particularly by TFU and TFU II. Its likely all going to happen before that when the Alliance to Restore the Republic does not exist but fledgling Rebellions are emerging across the galaxy.

I feel this would make sense because I find it hard to believe that in a 20+ year period of oppression the oppressed only decided to get their act together after 17 years of dithering.

So that allows for some Jedi involvement in small resistance movements etc. But I'd also like to see separate arcs that focus primarily on Jedi fugitives not attached to Rebel groups.

On the other hand it could be set between 2 BBY (when the Rebel Alliance was formed) and 0 BBY (when the Death Star was destroyed. A short period to work with but not much shorter than the three year Clone Wars. However by that point most/all of the Jedi are dead so....

OK, I'd be interested to know what you mean by 'CW' then as I took this to mean 'Clone Wars'. However I'd disagree. While amongst the EU fans and more dedicated supporters of the franchise she is well known, for more casual fans and general enthusiasts she is an unknown. Not all Star Wars fans are familiar with the EU, most just with the movies - few have read the comics. Considering that an average fan has just seen the movies and maybe played a game or two.

Now I'm not denying that she is a minor character, but in terms of popularity etc. she is a minor character. Or at least was until the TCW made her a major component of the franchise. She's appeared in a movie, a TV series, she's got action figures, Lego figures, T-Shirts, costumes, posters, lightsaber collectibles etc. Not to mention a voice and a far larger fanbase than before which now includes casual as well as dedicated fans. She has become one of the most major figures in the Star Wars universe who who does not appear in the films, up there with the likes of Revan and Thrawn, in fact I'd go as far to say she is the most well-known character outside of the EU.

Still interested to here how exactly TCW has ruined her character.

Lightsabers are an inherent part of Star Wars, the series won't be nearly as successful as TCW if there isn't any lightsaber action, and given that this is supposedly about 'hunting down the last of the Jedi' you can expect some.

Personally I'd like to see it, we've seen Jedi are guardians of the Republic and we've seen Jedi as vanguards of the Rebellion - but what about Jedi on the run? With no loyalties or duties? That would be interesting.

Completely changing who she is, her origin, and her entire life tend to be a "ruined" in my book.

Star Wars Republic Commando. No need to really go beyond that.

=================================================

I'm hoping more info comes out the next few months on Rebels, and how TCW is supposed to finish off the show seeing that there are massive plot holes around.

Edited by Eillack

Completely changing who she is, her origin, and her entire life tend to be a "ruined" in my book.

Star Wars Republic Commando. No need to really go beyond that.

Ah yes because Ventress is an entirely different character now and everything other than TCW has been rendered non-canon... :confused:

The only change that as been made to Ventress' story is that prior to the events of her upbringing on Rattatak is that she was born into a nightsister clan. That's it.

But perhaps you like to elaborate a little. As right now I could apply that statement to just about anyone and the meaning would be the same. I'm also just really confused and intruiged as how you support such a position.

And yeah, I'd like to see some plot holes filled too. One of the biggest plot holes for you must be why Ventress who used to be a womp rat from Tatooine is now a Nightsister from Rattatak...

Edited by Beniboybling

It was the Blood of Khan that retconned Ventress.

I would ask the writers of TCW if it was their intention to distance the validity (render non-canon)

the earlier silly-animated Ventress to the hawtness with a story MOST people love today ...

Writers write stories; it's what they do.

The writers saw they had a hit character and expanded her backstory. Thus giving her a purpose in the future.

With Rebels, the writers can do whatever they want, short of going against the movies.

Edited by Noblis

With Rebels, the writers can do whatever they want, short of going against the movies.

That's where you're wrong. Lucas no longer has a say. Disney can rewrite the movies entirely if they so choose. Not saying they WOULD but they CAN.

Actually, what seems to not yet sink into the SW fanbase is that Disney can do *whatever* they wish. They can make a statement saying everything SW happened in another universe and they are completely rebooting the IP and *poof*.

Again, not saying they would, but they CAN.

Edited by Jandi

That's where you're wrong. Lucas no longer has a say. Disney can rewrite the movies entirely if they so choose. Not saying they WOULD but they CAN.

Actually, what seems to not yet sink into the SW fanbase is that Disney can do *whatever* they wish. They can make a statement saying everything SW happened in another universe and they are completely rebooting the IP and *poof*.

George Lucas stipulated in the contract with Disney what parts of canon MAY NOT be altered.

Plus he is "very close" to the executor of the division controlling the Star Wars franchise.

Yes, George Lucas sold it, but it is not completely out of his control.

George Lucas stipulated in the contract with Disney what parts of canon MAY NOT be altered.

Plus he is "very close" to the executor of the division controlling the Star Wars franchise.

Also Disney isn't stupid they didn't retcon nearly anything when they took over marvel and they know part of the reason Star Wars is great and successful is because it is almost never retconned....

And you've read the contract? Or do you take PR talk at face value?

Have you read the contract? Or are you fabricating a personal fight of some sort?

I asked you a question, a very simple one at that. What's with the hostility? I've never seen or heard what you stated, so I asked.

I asked you a question, a very simple one at that. What's with the hostility? I've never seen or heard what you stated, so I asked.
Neither of you really have any grounds for your argument so both your points are invalid.

However it would be logical to assume that Lucas left some sort of clauses in the contract that protect the movies from being rewritten, along with various other 'rules' of canon e.g. don't give Yoda's species a name etc.

Neither of you really have any grounds for your argument so both your points are invalid.

However it would be logical to assume that Lucas left some sort of clauses in the contract that protect the movies from being rewritten, along with various other 'rules' of canon e.g. don't give Yoda's species a name etc.

You don't sign something without reading it. You also don't sign something without revising parts to your liking.

This would be the case with GL. He obviously put some things in his contract like you said to make his legacy not be ruined or tampered with in ways he did not want.

What argument? I'm not arguing a single thing. He claimed to know what was in the contract, not me. I also did not claim Disney would do anything that goes against the movies or established canon, just that they probably could because someone else said they cannot do anything that goes against the movies. I'm not saying they would, or that I would want them to, simply that they could.

Neither of you has an ounce of basis for what you're claiming.

Have you played TFU? Basically this.

I did, however, you didn't see the events really pushing them into it. All you saw was "ok time for action who's in?"

You didn't see the repression, graft, corruption, the whittling down of the senate. Things like that.

You didn't see the actual chain of events that lead up to TFU.

What argument? I'm not arguing a single thing. He claimed to know what was in the contract, not me. I also did not claim Disney would do anything that goes against the movies or established canon, just that they probably could because someone else said they cannot do anything that goes against the movies. I'm not saying they would, or that I would want them to, simply that they could.

Neither of you has an ounce of basis for what you're claiming.

To quote you:

That is making the assumption that there are no clauses in the deal that say Disney cannot override established G-Canon and is completely baseless as you have not read the contract and no such statements have been made. Unless you have some hidden insight that we are not aware of then your argument (and that's what it is) is entirely baseless and IMO, fairly illogical.

And then Nobilis said:

This is making the exact same assumption.

Neither of you have any basis for your argument here. And I'm not admitting that I do either, however while my argument is speculation it is based on logic. On the other hand I'd say its fairly illogical to claim that Disney have the ability to override movie canon, to believe that George would not protect his intellectual property is somewhat absurd.

Edited by Beniboybling

I did, however, you didn't see the events really pushing them into it. All you saw was "ok time for action who's in?"

You didn't see the repression, graft, corruption, the whittling down of the senate. Things like that.

You didn't see the actual chain of events that lead up to TFU.

True, true. I think there's room for exploration here. However action is a must so that needs to be a part of it as well.

Nonetheless as I said before it seems fairly illogical to assume that it took 17 years before anyone decided to make a real stand against the Empire. So definitely some room for rebel action.

Edited by Beniboybling

True, true. I think there's room for exploration here. However action is a must so that needs to be a part of it as well.

Nonetheless as I said before it seems fairly illogical to assume that it took 17 years before anyone decided to make a real stand against the Empire. So definitely some room for rebel action.

Oh there's plenty of room for that. Ever read the courscant night's trilogy? Great starter right there.

Got Jax Pavan, whiplash, black sun, vader, grey paladins.

All the intrigue and more you could want and you could spin that out for almost a season and there is plenty you can build off of that into the 17 years before finally going into TFU.

Plus Kota was alive and kicking for a lot of that, plenty you could do with his militia.

Oh I think there is a lot that can be done in the 17 years before the offical rebellion.

Oh there's plenty of room for that. Ever read the courscant night's trilogy? Great starter right there.

Got Jax Pavan, whiplash, black sun, vader, grey paladins.

All the intrigue and more you could want and you could spin that out for almost a season and there is plenty you can build off of that into the 17 years before finally going into TFU.

Plus Kota was alive and kicking for a lot of that, plenty you could do with his militia.

Oh I think there is a lot that can be done in the 17 years before the offical rebellion.

Mmm, I like the idea of Whiplash and those sort of underground movements in general. I expect they cropped up all over the galaxy so that should be interesting. Also room for Jedi action from Ashoka etc. and perhaps even Lux Bonteri? And then we can bring in the Senate and perhaps even a young Leia Organa fighting for justice.

I think tying it in loosely with TFU is also a good idea. And hopefully it will give projects like 1313 and Star Wars: Underworld the popularity they need to get off the ground. A mass exploration of this era will really be good for the franchise. I also here that the spin offs are going to look at this era too...

Just need to get X-Wings and TIE-Fighters in their and we're good to go!

Mmm, I like the idea of Whiplash and those sort of underground movements in general. I expect they cropped up all over the galaxy so that should be interesting. Also room for Jedi action from Ashoka etc. and perhaps even Lux Bonteri? And then we can bring in the Senate and perhaps even a young Leia Organa fighting for justice.

I think tying it in loosely with TFU is also a good idea. And hopefully it will give projects like 1313 and Star Wars: Underworld the popularity they need to get off the ground. A mass exploration of this era will really be good for the franchise. I also here that the spin offs are going to look at this era too...

Just need to get X-Wings and TIE-Fighters in their and we're good to go!

Problem is X-wings didn't come in till LATE in the game. Hell when the official rebellion started, they had Z-95s and Y-wings. X-wings didn't come along till about a year before Yavin IV.

Unless they seriously retconn that[which I doubt], when the rebel alliance starts, fighters are going to be the Y-wing and Z-95 and other fighters they can cobble together. Wouldn't be surprised to see Cloakshape fighter squadrons.

And for the Empire. I don't think TIE's came in until about 10 years BBY. I could be wrong on the TIE, but I don't think I'm too far off in that estimate.

Wow, you're actually using the "You can't disprove god so he must exist!" argument? Rofl, ok. Have fun with that.
No. This has nothing to do with that pal and no such analogy can be made. And frankly its a testament to your incompetence that you even attempted to make such a connection. Don't try and throw me off with nonsensical statements, just admit that your argument has no basis and move on, or attempt to provide some. Thank you. Edited by Beniboybling

Problem is X-wings didn't come in till LATE in the game. Hell when the official rebellion started, they had Z-95s and Y-wings. X-wings didn't come along till about a year before Yavin IV.

Unless they seriously retconn that[which I doubt], when the rebel alliance starts, fighters are going to be the Y-wing and Z-95 and other fighters they can cobble together. Wouldn't be surprised to see Cloakshape fighter squadrons.

And for the Empire. I don't think TIE's came in until about 10 years BBY. I could be wrong on the TIE, but I don't think I'm too far off in that estimate.

TIE fighters were introduced 19 BBY - that's the year the Galactic Empire was founded. Your right about the X-Wings though which is a bummer as that's major IP. However it could be retconned, that would be a minor retcon.

Then again, they're not much different from Z-95s...