Star Wars: Rebels Has Begun Production

Eillack

The animation style of TCW was fantastic. I hope they keep that.

Want more Quinlan Vos (Zaphod Beeblebrox). I heard there is some lore where he assists a young Han Solo.

It could happen in the new production.

Asajj Ventress. She was admin-banned from the Seps (and therefore the new Galactic Empire.)

Is she a bounty hunter? Does she reluctantly help The Rebellion?

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The animation style of TCW was fantastic. I hope they keep that.

Want more Quinlan Vos (Zaphod Beeblebrox). I heard there is some lore where he assists a young Han Solo.

It could happen in the new production.

Asajj Ventress. She was admin-banned from the Seps (and therefore the new Galactic Empire.)

Is she a bounty hunter? Does she reluctantly help The Rebellion?

Well before TCW ruined her story, Asajj abandoned the entire galaxy pretty much and ran away to never be seen again - I'd imagine she just phases out of the big picture after TCW.

Well before TCW ruined her story, Asajj abandoned the entire galaxy pretty much and ran away to never be seen again - I'd imagine she just phases out of the big picture after TCW.
Ruined her story? I assume your referring to the retcons which made her a Dathomirian nightsister instead of a Rattataki. But if that alone was upholding the quality of her story then, well, her story was never that good to begin with.

Really, before TCW came along Ventress was just another character in the EU. Now she's a major Star Wars figure with an extensive backstory, a voice, an incredibly dynamic personality and a large fanbase. I'd say that's an improvement.

Ruined her story? I assume your referring to the retcons which made her a Dathomirian nightsister instead of a Rattataki. But if that alone was upholding the quality of her story then, well, her story was never that good to begin with.

Really, before TCW came along Ventress was just another character in the EU. Now she's a major Star Wars figure with an extensive backstory, a voice, an incredibly dynamic personality and a large fanbase. I'd say that's an improvement.

Oh? And you think completely wrecking the story of a character like Bariss Onfree is a good idea? I mean there is retconning like they did with ventress...then there's the utter dump on what they did to Bariss.

To Quote TreeBeard in The Towers "There is no curse in Elvish, Entish, or the tongues of men for this treachery"

Oh? And you think completely wrecking the story of a character like Bariss Onfree is a good idea? I mean there is retconning like they did with ventress...then there's the utter dump on what they did to Bariss.

To Quote TreeBeard in The Towers "There is no curse in Elvish, Entish, or the tongues of men for this treachery"

I never made any mention of Bariss so I'm not sure what that's got to do with it.

But anyways, I think I'd shown support of acceptance for Offee's retcon before so I may as well defend my position. In a nutshell I feel this change in Bariss' character ultimately makes her more dynamic and more important. Before she was just that pious Jedi good girl who died with all the rest in Order 66. Now she has a real, dynamic and memorable story.

Nor would I refer to it as a retcon. TCW pretty much potrayed Bariss in her original persona in the series, so they took that into account with the finale. Basically Bariss was twisted by the dark side and pushed by her complete devotion to the Jedi Code to act in that way. I see her as something of an Atris, a zealot.

Let's remember that the dark side can completely change a person's personality. Just look at the transition from Anakin to Vader or almost any Jedi turned dark for that matter.

P.S. Even if I was against this, I'd accept it anyway just for her awesome fighting style. Pumped on elegance is the are the only words for it :p.

Edited by Beniboybling

The only real problem I had with Barriss' dark side conversion is the line where she says "I think the color suits me." Other than that her character fit the reversion practically perfectly. But the "color suits me" line made her sound a little...I don't know...crazy, and evil? She was supposed to be an unknowingly-fallen Jedi, not a would-be Sith.

I never made any mention of Bariss so I'm not sure what that's got to do with it.

But anyways, I think I'd shown support of acceptance for Offee's retcon before so I may as well defend my position. In a nutshell I feel this change in Bariss' character ultimately makes her more dynamic and more important. Before she was just that pious Jedi good girl who died with all the rest in Order 66. Now she has a real, dynamic and memorable story.

Nor would I refer to it as a retcon. TCW pretty much potrayed Bariss in her original persona in the series, so they took that into account with the finale. Basically Bariss was twisted by the dark side and pushed by her complete devotion to the Jedi Code to act in that way. I see her as something of an Atris, a zealot.

Let's remember that the dark side can completely change a person's personality. Just look at the transition from Anakin to Vader or almost any Jedi turned dark for that matter.

P.S. Even if I was against this, I'd accept it anyway just for her awesome fighting style. Pumped on elegance is the are the only words for it :p.

Well they also screwed up another thing. Bariss was as old as Anakin. In this they made her Ashoka's age. didn't like that either.

Either way, she was a kind hearted healer, and then suddenly she's a Zealot. no. just no. Plus she goes from a serious practicioner of Soresu to suddenly Jar'kai? Really?

Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar. Nothing more, nothing less.

Bariss.

In storytelling, to make a betrayal interesting, the betrayer must be someone close. Besides Anakin, Bariss

was the closest friend to Ahsoka. I said friend. And, in keeping with memorable storytelling betrayals, the

bad guy is the person you least expect. There was nothing more to it.

At least she wasn't killed off. I don't see the Bariss affair as a retcon of her character. She was mostly only

know within TCW.

To me, Asajj Ventress is Rattataki. If they make her Dathomirian to open up more story, that's a retcon.

So what? I live with it. In any case, Asajj Ventress already was a more interesting character. Maybe there

will be more of her.

She came in through the bathroom window.

You must have missed her in CW and multiple comic series, including one just about her then. Never hear of anyone refer to her as just "another character." :confused:

The addition of other characters getting screwed up and / or getting killed before their correct times is something I hope that never happens in Rebels.

If anything I'm hoping for almost completely new characters, or just those in the background who you never hear of in the OT so that if anything happens, it won't mess with the timelines again. :rolleyes:

Edited by Eillack

You must have missed her in CW and multiple comic series, including one just about her then. Never hear of anyone refer to her as just "another character." :confused:

The addition of other characters getting screwed up and / or getting killed before their correct times is something I hope that never happens in Rebels.

If anything I'm hoping for almost completely new characters, or just those in the background who you never hear of in the OT so that if anything happens, it won't mess with the timelines again. :rolleyes:

Well yeah that was my point. Before TCW she was a relatively unknown character from the EU and TCW made her a major figure. I'd also be interested to here what your reasoning is behind saying the TCW ruined Ventress...

I think Rebels will be good in the sense that it will draw from the EU, and those pilots who make brief appearances in the movies and make them as well-known and as popular as Ventress has come to be.

Nonetheless I don't think TCW 'screwed up' any characters. If making a few tweaks and minor retcons can do that then heck they were never good characters in the first place.

Edited by Beniboybling

I would bet that an older Ahsoka plays a major role in this. Considering that she left the order, she most likely survived order 66.

If they retcon stuff as well as they did Anakin in TCW, I'm all for it. Anakin in TCW was actually believable compared to mess of the PT. I hope they make Vader really well as a self-hating and bitter man who kills Imperial soldiers every chance he gets for no other reason than to kill them.

Haven't read the entire thread so sorry for butting in like this just to pitch in with my own thoughts. Carry on folks.

I would bet that an older Ahsoka plays a major role in this. Considering that she left the order, she most likely survived order 66.

Doesn't change a thing, doesn't matter if she left the Order or not she would still be hunted down just like the rest. An example of this being Kento Marek, left the Order and was still hunted down afterwards. It doesn't make sense to let Jedi walk away alive, just because they left the Order...they are still Jedi.

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

This won't get off the ground. We (America) are an imperial nation now and our sympathies lie with the status quo/the people in power/stability. We don't like rebels anymore. Why else are we propping up Central American dictators, why did the media dump all over the 99ers, and why aren't we supporting the plucky resistance fighters in Afghanistan, Pakistan and Syria who are only trying to liberate their country from foreign invaders and corrupt regimes (Karzai, Assad)?

Our society is heavy militarised. Our youth have been indoctrinated by playing games like Call of Duty and Battlefield.

This is why TCW cartoon series was so successful. We want to be the jedi and clones fighting in our sleek armor and equipped with the finest ships, tanks and weapons, fighting for a galaxy-spanning organisation to crush the separatists aka rebels. Noone wants to see rebels playing terrorists with rickety hand-me-down and scavenged equipment.

Edited by Kharnamatic

This won't get off the ground. We (America) are an imperial nation now and our sympathies lie with the status quo/the people in power/stability. We don't like rebels anymore. Our society is heavy militarised. Our youth have been indoctrinated by playing games like Call of Duty and Battlefield.

This is why TCW cartoon series was so successful. We want to be the jedi and clones fighting in our sleek armor and equipped with the finest ships, tanks and weapons, fighting for a galaxy-spanning organisation to crush the separatists aka rebels. Noone wants to see rebels playing terrorists with rickety hand-me-down and scavenged equipment.

I do, though really the Rebel Alliance wasn't running around with rickety/scavenged equipment all the time. They stole and gathered some stuff themselves off the market too. In the early days when there were just some Rebel cells, ya they probably had to just go on scavenged equipment but when they actually formed into a Rebellion their resources and ability to acquire things improved.

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

Doesn't change a thing, doesn't matter if she left the Order or not she would still be hunted down just like the rest. An example of this being Kento Marek, left the Order and was still hunted down afterwards. It doesn't make sense to let Jedi walk away alive, just because they left the Order...they are still Jedi.

Umm what are you raging on about? I never said she wouldn't be hunted. I said she probably survived order 66 and hence likely plays a role in the series due to her popularity. I don't care if she is or isn't in the show. I merely stated that I think she will be.

I do, though really the Rebel Alliance wasn't running around with rickety/scavenged equipment all the time. They stole and gathered some stuff themselves off the market too. In the early days when there were just some Rebel cells, ya they probably had to just go on scavenged equipment but when they actually formed into a Rebellion their resources and ability to acquire things improved.

Umm they were nothing but a band of rebels constantly on the run from secret hideout to secret hideout until the Mon Cal joined them with their ships that could challenge the imperial Star Destroyers. That's when the fight shifted from guerrilla tactics to warfare as more joined them as they actually stood a chance at that point. Before the Mon Cal ships, they had no chance to actually beat the Empire because they had nothing that could even dent the ISD's.

Umm what are you raging on about? I never said she wouldn't be hunted. I said she probably survived order 66 and hence likely plays a role in the series due to her popularity. I don't care if she is or isn't in the show. I merely stated that I think she will be.

Intial Order 66 perhaps yes she does.

Umm they were nothing but a band of rebels constantly on the run from secret hideout to secret hideout until the Mon Cal joined them with their ships that could challenge the imperial Star Destroyers. That's when the fight shifted from guerrilla tactics to warfare as more joined them as they actually stood a chance at that point. Before the Mon Cal ships, they had no chance to actually beat the Empire because they had nothing that could even dent the ISD's.

As I said, when they formed the actual Rebellion they were able to acquire more. Never said that they were a bunch of rebels that could take on the Empire in full warfare. But when they were formed together their ability to gain resources/tech improved, hence they were able to acquire more even before the Mon Calamari came in.

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

Well it does, if we consider that Kento Marek survived the Great Jedi Purge for almost 20 years. That's a large portion of the era being handled.

So, likewise, we can assume that Ashoka Tano survived Order 66 and a large portion of the ensuing purge. And if she did it is unlikely that she remained in hiding, her persona would drive her to try and help people fight against the Empire. Her appearance in Rebels is highly possible if not likely.

Well it does, if we consider that Kento Marek survived the Great Jedi Purge for almost 20 years. That's a large portion of the era being handled.

So, likewise, we can assume that Ashoka Tano survived Order 66 and a large portion of the ensuing purge. And if she did it is unlikely that she remained in hiding, her persona would drive her to try and help people fight against the Empire. Her appearance in Rebels is highly possible if not likely.

Never said that it wasn't. Though I will admit, this whole thing with Jedi coming up in the EU and helping out the Rebels is starting to bother me.

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

Well yeah that was my point. Before TCW she was a relatively unknown character from the EU and TCW made her a major figure. I'd also be interested to here what your reasoning is behind saying the TCW ruined Ventress...

I think Rebels will be good in the sense that it will draw from the EU, and those pilots who make brief appearances in the movies and make them as well-known and as popular as Ventress has come to be.

Nonetheless I don't think TCW 'screwed up' any characters. If making a few tweaks and minor retcons can do that then heck they were never good characters in the first place.

I think you misread my post; I was pointing out that she was very known and had a large backstory that was around for many years before TCW was created.

Never said that it wasn't. Though I will admit, this whole thing with Jedi coming up in the EU and helping out the Rebels is starting to bother me.

Yeah, other then the very few that Luke encounters post-OT, the Jedi themselves are gone. I'm hoping Rebels doesn't show a single saber unless it is from Vader, Palpatine, Ben Kenobi, and pending on when this is - Luke.

Edited by Eillack

I think you misread my post; I was pointing out that she was very known and had a large backstory that was around for many years before TCW was created.
OK, I'd be interested to know what you mean by 'CW' then as I took this to mean 'Clone Wars'. However I'd disagree. While amongst the EU fans and more dedicated supporters of the franchise she is well known, for more casual fans and general enthusiasts she is an unknown. Not all Star Wars fans are familiar with the EU, most just with the movies - few have read the comics. Considering that an average fan has just seen the movies and maybe played a game or two.

Now I'm not denying that she is a minor character, but in terms of popularity etc. she is a minor character. Or at least was until the TCW made her a major component of the franchise. She's appeared in a movie, a TV series, she's got action figures, Lego figures, T-Shirts, costumes, posters, lightsaber collectibles etc. Not to mention a voice and a far larger fanbase than before which now includes casual as well as dedicated fans. She has become one of the most major figures in the Star Wars universe who who does not appear in the films, up there with the likes of Revan and Thrawn, in fact I'd go as far to say she is the most well-known character outside of the EU.

Still interested to here how exactly TCW has ruined her character.

Yeah, other then the very few that Luke encounters post-OT, the Jedi themselves are gone. I'm hoping Rebels doesn't show a single saber unless it is from Vader, Palpatine, Ben Kenobi, and pending on when this is - Luke.
Lightsabers are an inherent part of Star Wars, the series won't be nearly as successful as TCW if there isn't any lightsaber action, and given that this is supposedly about 'hunting down the last of the Jedi' you can expect some.

Personally I'd like to see it, we've seen Jedi are guardians of the Republic and we've seen Jedi as vanguards of the Rebellion - but what about Jedi on the run? With no loyalties or duties? That would be interesting.

Edited by Beniboybling

I actually hope that the new series focuses on how the Rebels came to be. I really think that the new show shouldn't focus on the rebels right off the bat. Maybe for an episode or two then go back and show how it was formed. Bail organa, Mon Mothma, Garm Bel Iblis.

Show who helped fund and give weapons to the rebels. We need to see Dodanna, be recruited, all the things that led up to the rebel alliance.

Then we can get into the battles and such.

I really hope the first seasons focuses on the build up to the actual rebels.