The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

So when are you giving bolster for raiding?

Vassise

A person who PvPs a lot doesnt have good raid gear, and will find it difficult to participate in raids

A person who PvEs a lot doesnt have pvp gear, but their stats get boosted so they are more or less equal to the people who PvP a lot.

Once again, Bioware treat pvp like the skidmark of EA's toilet.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A person who PvPs a lot doesnt have good raid gear, and will find it difficult to participate in raids

A person who PvEs a lot doesnt have pvp gear, but their stats get boosted so they are more or less equal to the people who PvP a lot.

The top PvP gear is better then the top Raid gear even after bolster... Sooo ummm get over it...

An MMO is a game of choices. You chose to grind PvP for your gear and now (I assume) you have a kick *** set of gear for your pvp'er.

I'm a PvE'er. I don't have any pvp gear, because I ground the crap out of my PvE gear. You could destroy me in PvP, I can destroy you on a parse in PvE. We each have our baliwicks. The only difference between us, I had to grind a tier of gear prior to my HM ops gear. You had bolster and were able to skip the grind of the lower tier gear.

The top PvP gear is better then the top Raid gear even after bolster... Sooo ummm get over it...

Maybe for PVP. . . Either you're missing the OP's point or you're being deliberately difficult. As it is you can PVP fine in your raid gear, wear PVP gear to a raid and you'll be kicked out of the group. It's a valid request; that or fixing the bolster.

perhaps pvpers need to understand that pvp really isnt a end game no matter what they think. it is something that raiders and then unguilded solo players learned to do in other boring mmos which didn't have difficult/challenging end game content to keep such entertained all week.

An MMO is a game of choices. You chose to grind PvP for your gear and now (I assume) you have a kick *** set of gear for your pvp'er.

I'm a PvE'er. I don't have any pvp gear, because I ground the crap out of my PvE gear. You could destroy me in PvP, I can destroy you on a parse in PvE. We each have our baliwicks. The only difference between us, I had to grind a tier of gear prior to my HM ops gear. You had bolster and were able to skip the grind of the lower tier gear.

As a PVPer, i would have to grind PvE gear in order to be good in PvE

You as a PvEer wouldnt have to grind PvP gear because your stats would be bolstered, also your higher main stat would make up for the 400 expertise loss or something.

Um... you shouldn't have any problem doing most of lvl 55 SM Ops with top end pvp gear. The problem only comes when you are doing top end NiM and HM ops. If you don't have decent pve gear then you're likely not familiar with the mechanics for those ops. So why bother with NiM/HM when you haven't done enough SM to get simple 69 gear?

Raid gear should be nerfed to hell and get a new stat which increases its performance only while in a raid-environment, but not outside raid-environments. Next, players in non-raid gear who enter a raid-environment should get bolstered to compensate for their lack of this raid-stat.

Now you might think I'm joking here, by simply switching around pvp and raid gear for how the situation currently is, but I am actually serious. Raiders should NOT get any benefit in performance outside raid environments!

NEVER, EVER!

The game is seriously messed up as it is right now, and caters too much to the raid-or-die mentality.

Bioware, fire EVERY single one of your developers who even remotely supports the raid or die mentality, and you'll end up with the developers who actually got their priorities right, and who have a chance at keeping players attention once they reach level 55, instead of seeing all those players quit!

Sigh. Pvp should come down to skill not stats which is what the bolster system is for. I'm sorry you can't curb stomp new pvp ers anymore but maybe you should work on being better.

Edit: some of the best pvp games are the ones where each player starts on a level playing field. Sc2, lol, dota. A skilled player will still beat a noob but at least the noob has a chance.

Edited by TrooperSev

Actually no, they're just fixing the mistake they made in the PvP design, where you would have a massive advantage over other players from gear. This is not an issue in PvE where you need something to grind 'for'.

So...pre-2.0 when you could take part in everything with your PVP gear it was all fine and dandy but now that the tables are turned it's an outrage.

It just goes to show what kind of mentality some people have, which could be summed up as "if it helps me it's fine, if it doesn't it's awful".

Still this question getting asked?

Pve has a progression, pvp has not. You are automatically pitted in the top end of it (rated wzs don't exist), so you need a boost to level the field.

Oh really? Try buying a full set of Conqueror gear before you get your Partisan set and get back to me on how that works out for you.

Seriously though, I don't see the point in having a PvP stat if we're just going to give it out for free whenever you PvP. If the main PvE'er justification for the bolster buff is that PvP is supposed to be about skill rather than gear then shouldn't PvE be exactly the same in that regard? Is PvE not supposed to be about skill?

The main point is that bolster is a really poorly implemented idea that sounds just as silly when applied to operations. The real fix here is taking out bolster and then bringing back the starter PvP set (except this time give it competitive stats). Not wearing PvP gear in PvP SHOULD get you curb stomped just like how wearing PvP gear in PvE will get you laughed at.

Edited by TheHeat

Seriously though, I don't see the point in having a PvP stat if we're just going to give it out for free whenever you PvP. If the main PvE'er justification for the bolster buff is that PvP is supposed to be about skill rather than gear then shouldn't PvE be exactly the same in that regard? Is PvE not supposed to be about skill?

The main point is that bolster is a really poorly implemented idea that sounds just as silly when applied to operations. The real fix here is taking out bolster and then bringing back the starter PvP set (except this time give it competitive stats). Not wearing PvP gear in PvP SHOULD get you curb stomped just like how wearing PvP gear in PvE will get you laughed at.

The difference in gear for pve is that without a gear grind or something similar, there is zero reason to continue beating bosses. Imagine mmo's trying to keep subs when players only have to beat a boss once. Whereas in pvp, unless you are number 1 and nobody equals your skill, there is always competition from other players and each pvp match plays out differently.

Stop being mad that you aren't as good as you thought you were without a gear advantage. (A problem loads of pvp'ers actually have.) Also, you're trying to apply the same mechanic to two different gameplay styles. It's not working.

Maybe for PVP. . . Either you're missing the OP's point or you're being deliberately difficult. As it is you can PVP fine in your raid gear, wear PVP gear to a raid and you'll be kicked out of the group. It's a valid request; that or fixing the bolster.

Oh... and you guys think top raid gear is gifted to everyone? It's still mediocre compared to the top PvP gear. So it's still better. You might have a leg up just starting PvP then someone fresh 55, but hell you can have top raid gear in any game and be well off in PvP so get used to it. Like no ****... Hold up... I started out in my arena team with top raid gear in WoW... and still raped people in full pvp gear.... Oh I did that in RIFT too... oh ... and LOTRO... I mean wow... it's so un heard of...

Oh as an edit: I would like for you to tell me right now how many people yuou have seen in a WZ with full 72 gear. I mean come on. There's not many guilds (aside from really hardcore ones who care nothing about PvP who have it on farm which is a very small group) that actually have cleared every bit of HM SnV and HM TFB. So please stop the whining :p

Edited by Levity

Jesus you cry about a lot of ****

another perfect reason why PvP and PvE should not be forced into the same environment. 2 diff worlds with 2 diff mechanics, and were trying to balance it out with one set of standards, and doesn't work. try to give them different approaches, and one whines about the other.

the issue with PvP is player skill creates a variable outside the realm of control of the Developers...which is why the best PvP games then to be FPS, where the "gear" and "class" are rigidly controlled (no variance, everyone's the same). thus gear isn't an issue. when you introduce a PvE style of play and gear to that environment (like Bio is doing, and Wow....and many others), it becomes chaotically difficult to control balance. WoW's dev's even blogged on it once...they admitted that trying to balance a PvE game around it's PvP play broke both. Not sure why Bio is trying to re-invent a wheel that never spun well even from design...

they should have never had the two together in the first place. now, having said that. it's really an issue of tier vs. open field. PvP is open field. when there is progression in PvP gear, new players get stomped (even in starter gear). the environment is hardly positive nor supportive of new players. PvE tier mechanics work well in PvE, they suck in PvP...which is why they are even trying the bolster system.

it's actually odd to me....prior to 2.0, the PvP crawl from 1-49 was apparently a blast, many people loved it. I'm not sure why the experience is so broken now. But either way, the reason they are trying something other then the tier system is it simply didn't work for the general PvP populace...whereas in PvE the tier system is very effective.

2 different creatures...

translation..make anyone not in pvp gear gank fodder please

seeing how its been well over a year and you have still missed the bus. SWTOR is a PvE game that has PvP in it... it was never said to be anything else. On top of that if you are playing this game for its PvP you are doing it wrong.

Raiders do dailies and can even easymode the heroics ON THEIR OWN by merrit of their raidgear.

PvP-ers do dailies too, but have a noticably harder time if they try to do the heroic ones on their own.

Sorry, but it's true, and that raid-or-die design mentality has to end. Raiders are NOT first class citizens, and they should NOT be treated as such either.

So that is why I am in favor of introducing a raid-exclusive stat which gives raiders a benefit while they are in a raid environment, but is inactive outside raid environments, meaning their gear would be on par with gear from other content types while outside raid environments.

No, no, PVP is the skid mark of everyone's toilet.