Serious Tharan Cedrax romance, anyone?

Yermog

We have to remember that while bioware had content like this in their single player games pretty much always, before this game was released, there'd never been an mmo with this level of story. They were introducing the idea of story and companions who were people not just 'pets' for the first time and to an audience who really wasn't used to such things. There are people who spacebar through all the dialogue, never play the story content and consider it an annoying waste of their time.

We should also remember that while most of bioware's games come with a mature rating, this one is not only rated for teens, they had to know that a lot of children would be playing simply because it was star wars. Some characters would be WAY harder to write PG relationships for than others, lol.

All this being the case, I think they did relatively well in finding a balance between the kind of content bioware is known for and producing an mmo. Still, they managed that balance better in some stories than others, and there were aspects of many stories that could have been gone into in more depth without tipping the balance too far, but after playing this game for as many years as many of us have, it's become normal and I think we forget how groundbreaking it was.

Edited by errant_knight

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love Iresso, and started romancing his socks off ASAP.

That said, I also really liked Tharan. I think it would make for a good whirlwind romance story, the femconsular and Tharan, and was actually disappointed that I didn't even have a chance to pursue it or shoot it down. I really wanted him to be romanceable.

Errant Knight, BioWare's first two games did not have the content. But even tiny smidgens of dialogue introduced in BG1 were immediately a hit. So, BioWARE has an appreciative audience. Always. In KOTOR1, which had no maturity whatsoever in its romance content, the romance was handled very well. NWN1 sucked, so BioWARE returned to its winning formula, and ventured beyond in the subsequent games, introducing more mature themes in JE, in ME, in DA.

If Bio's mastery in that aspect fascinated SP players, chances are MMO audience wanted the same. Sure, the clickers are out there, and that's fine. The have plenty of content there to enjoy. But what of Bio's loyalists who expect the new adventures, including the romantic ones?

Asking for romantic content is not asking for a full frontal nudity, cussing, something bad. It always annoys me when people assume that a Flirt = FTB. It is about interesting dialogue, emotions, beautiful stuff, chance to deliver great sequences, develop cutscenes that make people remember. How much do you remember from NWN2? I bet not much, but you surely remember the scene on the Walls.... Romantic companion is a memorable companion because, well, humans respond well to the interest and affection offered to them (or here, to their beloved character).

To this day, my favorite dialogue in any computer game is a non-romantic dialogue that I have interpreted as romantic. It's Bao-Dur's The longest you have looked at me in KOTOR2. That's the kind of WOW experience I keep hoping for.

On topic:

One thing I did not like about Tharan's current relationship is that even if you reject his advances, if you flirted with him, the next dialogue starts with "Too bad it didn't work out between us," without acknowledging that the female player broke it off, not Tharan,. A minor thing, I know. But I saw the same in male SW story. Vette interjects, male SW backs out of a FTB, but he is still telling Lard Barras that he seduced the lady. And Vette does facepalm :)

Edited by DomiSotto

I personally haven't given up hope on eventual new meaningful story content, including new romances. I just doubt that they'll be revisiting the old ones. I could be wrong though. What I was saying wasn't that it's wrong to want more, just that we forget what a milestone what we did get was in an mmo.

I personally haven't given up hope on eventual new meaningful story content, including new romances. I just doubt that they'll be revisiting the old ones. I could be wrong though. What I was saying wasn't that it's wrong to want more, just that we forget what a milestone what we did get was in an mmo.

Oh please, be wrong about it. My (male) shadow is tired of drooling over Iresso :rak_03:

I am okay with not revisiting per se, but if they added the romances to the previously non-available companions in the end-game content, that would be something. I dunno, throwing in new 'on the ship' dialogues in the body of the game is less challenging than revising the quests etc. If there is a will....

I wish, he'll always be "loyal" to Holiday.

I was DAYDREAMING of a Mission that took me to multiple planets and daunting situations, because of a similar story to Holiday's, but it's a MALE abused hologram that needed saving. He called out for HELP through hacked communications, and Holiday is OBSESSED with saving him. Tharan wanting nothing more than to please Holiday will go to the ends of the galaxy with YOUR help to find this hologram only to lose Holiday to him in the end... the rest is up to YOU ;)

LIKE?

This would be too easy for my tastes. I don't like it when a romantic situation gets resolved by taking a love interest out of the picture because she is either evil or didn't truly loved him (or he her) in the first place. It sort of cheapens the romance and the character for me. The whole beauty of a potential romance there with Tharan for me is that he has to leave the absolutely perfect digital soulmate for an imperfect human/near-human woman (if he does) whose goals and aspirations are not his goals and aspirations. Edited by DomiSotto

Though many of the Swtor romances are good IMO, Kira has the best romance in the game by far. Other romances like Vette are good too, but Kira has a very developed personality and feels...more...human I guess. While others have these qualities too, Kira just has something about her that sets her apart, and the scenes for her romance are amazing and some of the dialogue between her and the Knight are great.

I understand that frustration. Yeah, most male characters get more romance options than girls do, it's true. But I don't mind so much myself because all of the female romances (with the exception of Iresso) are done very well. Making all the male companions romancable is just not a good plan, especially since some of them are, to put it lightly, insane. Some people have a little bit of a torch for Khem Val, the force-eating, Sith killing Deshade you pick up on Korriban as a SI. The big issue with this is that he wants to EAT THE INQUISITOR. And not in the fun way, ifyouknowwhatImean. ;)

on the other hand a khem romance would cover the other sith inquisitor romance that people seem to want. two birds with one stone.

even if most people get over zash when she takes of her makeup in the act one climax or at least I really hope they do

There are plenty of male characters in the game that are appealing, but not available for romance or have a very short one, like Zenith, Scourge, Pierce, Tharan, Rusk... not to mention scenery NPCs that come in droves (Cole on Corellia, you gotta be kidding me!)

Honestly, calling female romances well done - hey, let's agree to disagree. I actually like Iresso, but Zenith is so much better. Riggs - nope, I wish I had an option to commit or at least meet Numen Brock again. Aric - has not even started, what's the point of his being the first companion, and he is ugly as sin. Quinn - ye gods (nice character, but a romance for a female PC?) Vector - yeah, one day I might actually meet him. Like months in the future. Doc... I think my Knight is going to be the only Jedi in the Galaxy to stick to the Order's teachings (why couldn't Rusk had Iresso's dialogue?).

Edited by DomiSotto

There are plenty of male characters in the game that are appealing, but not available for romance or have a very short one, like Zenith, Scourge, Pierce, Tharan, Rusk... not to mention scenery NPCs that come in droves (Cole on Corellia, you gotta be kidding me!)

Honestly, calling female romances well done - hey, let's agree to disagree. I actually like Iresso, but Zenith is so much better. Riggs - nope, I wish I had an option to commit or at least meet Numen Brock again. Aric - has not even started, what's the point of his being the first companion, and he is ugly as sin. Quinn - ye gods (nice character, but a romance for a female PC?) Vector - yeah, one day I might actually meet him. Like months in the future. Doc... I think my Knight is going to be the only Jedi in the Galaxy to stick to the Order's teachings (why couldn't Rusk had Iresso's dialogue?).

I just finished Zenith's conversations for the first time, and wow, just wow. Quinn I adore. It helps that I got lucky with the timing of things with my first warrior. Vector is sweet as honey and worth suffering with Kalio for (Yay for Treek! I can shelve Kalio at level 10!) I wish Talos were romanceable, I just can't picture things working out with Andronikos, and Talos is just so cute and enthusiastic! I haven't met Rusk yet. As for NPCs, I'd love to get to flirt with General Hesker. OK, OK I have a soft spot for stuffy, Imperials. I like Elara a lot too...

I love how Quinn is written and would love to play his romance but on a male warrior. The female one does not appeal as I feel I am forcing my toon on the guy who's already suffered far too much indignity. Quinn is the only gay character that seem to have his sexuality thoughtfully integrated into the character instead of slapped on like Juhani and Sky out of the blue. Well, imo.

I will meet Vector on someone else's toon sooner than on mine, but I just dunno, his empty eyes and the Joiners I met in the Imperial story.... eww.

Rusk is unremarkable, but looks good so has the Iresso's potential for a solid if not the earth-shattering romance. But JK needs anything, anyone at all! Some females, well, me, would like to romance an alien. :)

Edited by DomiSotto

Okay, I have a few things to say:

1) I got so bored with the Consular story, I couldn't get far enough to even meet Tharan, let alone Iresso. To each, his own, I guess.

2) I have played the Nadia romance and it was bleh. It went from, 'Master, you're such a great teacher' to 'My dad died, and I need sex. Now.' Wth?

3)

Nautolans' are dark and shiny! And they are st on those amazing exotic faces! Vector's at least on the screenshots' are dull. :( But as I said, I will see him within next month or so in the joined game. Screenshots often do not convey the 3D art well. Funnily, I don't recall seeing many of him around, but then I am not customary on the fleet. Most agents seem to run with Treek or Kalyio. Edited by DomiSotto

That... that was surprisingly amazing and deep for HK-47! I had forgotten that scene entirely from the game. Then again, it has been a while since I played that one.

I wouldn't mind if they didn't have Tharan in the future as an LI, but I would like someone who would compliment the Consular's personality. After playing her a while (Once I got to level 20, I knew I had to get to the end, exhausting though it may be) I came to realize that maybe her personality is just quiet and generally expressionless. I didn't think of it in positive terms until I thought about a good friend I have who is like that as well. He's fairly quiet, and unless you know him it's difficult to have a conversation with him, BUT when he's with someone who's dramatic and animated most of the time (usually me) he seems much more approachable because it looks like his reactions are just bouncing off of mine, and visa versa.

So now it's not so much that I hate the Consular's personality, it's more that s/he needs someone else there to balance their personality out. Iresso doesn't really do that, as least not to an extent that I personally find satisfactory. I can't speak for Nadia's personality however, because there's no way I'm playing a Consular again.

• 2 weeks later...
Nautolans' are dark and shiny! And they are st on those amazing exotic faces! Vector's at least on the screenshots' are dull. :( But as I said, I will see him within next month or so in the joined game. Screenshots often do not convey the 3D art well. Funnily, I don't recall seeing many of him around, but then I am not customary on the fleet. Most agents seem to run with Treek or Kalyio.

Took me awhile to get a good cut scene with Vector. His eyes are only dull from a distance. In close-ups he has shiny eyes. http://i.imgur.com/d7LkAHL.jpg

I have one agent who uses Treek since she is too little to have anyone other than the much despised Kalyio, my sniper uses Lokin & my operative uses Temple.

I have just switched to a new system and my game settings went from bare bones to max and tops. And OMG, everyone is sooooo crazy attractive, it's mind-blowing (I mean, I knew Zenith was handsome, but drop-dead gorgeous?!). So, there is hope for Vector!

Yeah, mine have Treek as well. I expended many credits and took obnoxious dialogue options to pump Kalyio to 10,000, and I am not letting her near a dialogue from now on. :)

Edited by DomiSotto

Tharan's taken. In fact, you can sleep with him only to find out that he's extremely taken.

I'd almost prefer to romance Nadia as a female Consular... then again, it's also nice to not be a teacher perving on her student, so I might be able to live without romance. Felix is both boring and male.

Or he is playing the field and uses Holiday as a fool-proof exit strategy. After all his Codex mentions his womanizing tendencies, so it's not like he had not done it before, and a Consular has I think 3 repetitions in the convo that go "let's tell Holiday, then we sleep together..." "No, no, we do it behind her back."

Sweet Felix is a great romance. If he were on a Knight's crew, he'd be perfect. It's just that Consular has 2 men that come on board earlier and well, there is Zenith. :) So, it's hard to be a Consular with all the wonderful and very different males, only one of which is truly rom'd. If all three had the tracks, I bet each would have had its audience.

Honestly, Zenith dropping AP every time PC was nice to Iresso on Corellia or Tharan anywhere in the game makes me think that was the original design.

Edited by DomiSotto

Bloody sausagefest, in my opinion. I wish we could have had Nadia earlier.

And Zenith's sort of... evil. I seriously doubt I'd work well with him if I ever bothered to take him with me (which I don't; I used Tharan fairly consistently until getting Nadia).