Saw this post on reddit about how dyes could have been done

paowee

This actually a great idea, like better the template/color and see it changing in the armor as you finally dye it the way you like.

Bioware you have ONE or TWO developers that were in SWG, please stop following the same partter, Armor dyes, Armor ani-decay kits, this developers only think in SWG when developing please assign them other place rather than creative design.

Eh, I dunno. I think part of the reason it was done this way was so Artificers would have something to do. I don't like how some of the best dyes are only available thru random and expensive dye packs. 100 coins is waaaaaayy too much for a single (random) dye.

I don't like how some of the best dyes are only available thru random and expensive dye packs. 100 coins is waaaaaayy too much for a single (random) dye.

But that is precisely why dyes were done the way they were in SWTOR! Makes perfect sense from a developer point of view. It's not about more customization options for subscribers. It's about getting more people to spend/buy cartel coins. :(

Eh, I dunno. I think part of the reason it was done this way was so Artificers would have something to do. I don't like how some of the best dyes are only available thru random and expensive dye packs. 100 coins is waaaaaayy too much for a single (random) dye.

It's a good system in a perfect world, but I still think an adaptation of the GW2 system would work better for this game, as it currently stands. Perhaps dropping the "get dyes in-world" for an Artifice recipe that makes two or three random dyes, as well as having the schematics for other colours.

The schematic colours would be for less popular, but still not crayons, colours (blue, green, pink, brown, orange etc.), while the random schematic would give you a chance at having White or Black (or a variation thereof - GW2 had a lot of different "white" and "black" colour dyes - I particularly like Antique Gold.)

This actually a great idea, like better the template/color and see it changing in the armor as you finally dye it the way you like.

Bioware you have ONE or TWO developers that were in SWG, please stop following the same partter, Armor dyes, Armor ani-decay kits, this developers only think in SWG when developing please assign them other place rather than creative design.

Oddly enough, one of the devs from SWG that works on this game, AdeptStrain (aka Matt Boudreaux). if he still works for EA/BW, is the person that developed the Appearance Tab for SWG. Now if they'd only let him do that here.....

I like the OP's idea though.

Edited by qAsandra
correction

I'm pretty sure the dyes are texture swapping, rather than actually applying a dye / color filter to the texture on the item.

Which means a full spectrum dye system would be impossible.

That's ridiculous. No one is copying n (amount of armor skins currently in the game) armor skins and manually applying k (number of dye modules) different color schemes to them.

The only reason the system is as stupid as it is, is because it allows Bioware to more easily extract money from players.

Dream on...

Bioware has obviously made a very poor system with the prime intention to earn money. I can't believe anyone made this system thinking that it would be a good system.... Mostly all the dyes are locked to two colors, there are almost none of those primary or secondary only colors. If people actually knew that colors would be this poorly made I wonder if so many would have bought those gambling packs....

Why could they not just give us the oppertunity to just choose the colors we want, just let us at least pick the colors we want to buy for CC.