Largest Cartel Market weapons sale of the year is now live! Check it out before August 27! ×

Should there be a thing that lets you change to like a juggernaut to a murrader?

gammofet

You have no place to say gamers that feel like I do should have no say. I feel you are ignorant, but does that mean I get to tell you that you have no say in the matter. Nope…

Ah, name-calling, and what has led you to believe that I am ignorant? What piece of knowledge am I lacking? What perspective? I am curious how you can derive such a leap from one post that happens to disagree with yours. For the record, I didn't say that you have no say in the matter. All I said was that I don't want the perspective of hardcore extremists (didn't call you one but your stance on this topic is indicative) to dictate how the rest of us play this (or any) game.

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 months later...

OP,

I totally agree with you & wish they would incorporate this into the game. WoW had the right idea in doing that.

But sadly I don't see BW/EA doing this for one reason, to keep you occupied forcing you to level 2 toons of the same class for DPS/Tank/Heals. Which is bull. If I have a Trooper, I should be able to choose Tank or DPS or Heals whenever I want to play that spec.

They need to get rid of so many talent trees, reduce the need for so much gear, and focus on what they have and improving the game.

E.G. the huge lag problems, & known (for months/year) bugs.

No... just no.

Like several others have said before me, leveling up as one of your subclasses to 50 is like the "training" for the game. It lets you get to know your keybinds and how your subclass works. Allowing you to change it would cause many problems, in particularly for End-Game content such as level 50/55 flashpoints, operations, warzones, etc. I'd hate to join an operation group to learn the main tank is just learning how to use his abilities and keybinds since he changed subclasses a few minutes ago.

No. The point of them telling you "remember, you can't change this later" should make you take the choice more seriously. If you make the mistake, you pay for it and reroll.

This has been hashed to death in the other thread. The point of a game is to have fun, not to be made to "pay for" changing your mind. Just get over your need to control the way others play the game.

:rolleyes:

Well why did wow make it you can do that?

Because in WoW, you're still the same class you were before you dual-specialized. In SWTOR, an Imperial Sniper and an Imperial Operative are two very different classes, each with their own talent trees. They might have the same storyline, but they're still very different classes.

Because in WoW, you're still the same class you were before you dual-specialized. In SWTOR, an Imperial Sniper and an Imperial Operative are two very different classes, each with their own talent trees. They might have the same storyline, but they're still very different classes.

Every AC pair shares 1 tree, so your statement is misleading. They also share the entire set of base class skills. A DPS Sniper and a healing Operative are not much more different from each other than a DPS Operative and healing Operative are. The only role change not currently allowed that AC change would allow is between tank and healing. Big deal.

Nice to see some new names chiming in on the issue :)

It was getting a tad boring discussing exactly the same issue over on this 400+ page thread that has hovered on and off the first page of the general discussion board for the last 6 months or so ;)

ETA on Advanced Class change?

Personally still for the option to allow AC swapping.

I wouldn't use it myself, as an altoholic I'm working towards the goal of one of each AC, 9 down just 7 left to go.

My last suggestion for it was to have it as a one shot consumable purchased from the CM for 1,000 cc (can resell on the GTN) I could probably be convinced that the price is a little on the low side and could see it raised as high as 3,000cc but I think that would be the upper limit.

As it stands a player can spend 600cc for a new character slot (or 300cc at the moment as it's on sale) or how ever many credits they are currently going for on the GTN, plus the hours required to level it. Having a second (or more) character gives the additional advantage of more bank space, more credit earning potential (more dailies, OPs).

Being able to swap between ACs gives a player more flexibility on the single character but no real additional power (definitely not a pay-to-win option).

If a player has any unused character slots left they can level an additional character at no additional cost. That is they contribute nothing more to the future development or upkeep of SWTOR. An AC swap function, if introduced, should cost a reasonable sum (1,000 to 3,000 cc for one-off use), and whether purchased off the CM directly or off the GTN would have some return to the game.

With the elimination of the Subscription only model and now the Hybrid model development of QoL and Cartel features should focus on convenience and allowing players to chose between investing Time or Money into the game.

you are pulling quotes from extremly old things... they have said MANY time they will NEVER allow AC swaps because your advanced class is your class.

It's actually the most recent quote any dev has made on the subject, made by the lead designer no less. As to an ETA, I'd imagine around the time they introduce extra ACs to the game, or maybe a month or two before.

That you want is a new max level character without earning it... my guess is you are c0ompletwely terrible at your current one so you just want to be handed another one. It takes very very little time to level a characte.r.. in the time you have spent crying in this threat about how you feel you are "special" enough to be handed a max level character you could of leveled one...

It amuses me that players how feel classes are swift to level are usually those able to sit and play for 8+ hours a day, using all the levelling shortcuts at their disposal. In other words the sort that feel all other gamers should play their way and no other. I've played more SWTOR than any other game (probably more than is healthy tbh) and still only have 9 of the 16 ACs at max level. I have friends who have been playing from launch who have a level 41 as their highest character. Please try to realise that involvement in an MMO shouldn't be restricted to those who do not have a vast amount of disposable time on their hands. Asking such players to go back to stage one over a decision they made at level 10 is unreasonable.

No one is asking for an 'Additional' character, nor are they asking for one at 'Max' level, or so far even asking to swap their 'Class'. All they are asking for is the opportunity to swap to the other AC. If they swap from Powertech at level 24 they are only going to a 24th level mercenary.

And you never commented on your epic fail saying that Mercs are closer to powertech then powertech are to juggs which is not true.

All of the aspects of an Advanced Class that you identify with at any iconic level such as appearance (facial tattoos/cybertech, less armour specific with the advent of adaptive armour types), companions, legacy buffs, and most importantly story are shared from the root class.

The aspects that differ are based upon the abstract association of game mechanics to desired role.

Yes, a Shield Tech specced Powertech fulfils the same role as an Immortality specced Juggernaut on pure game mechanics. But, just as importantly to the discussion the Immortality specced Jugg plays differently to the Rage specced Jugg which is almost identical in play style to the Rage Marauder.

Personally, I identify far more with the core identity of the character based on Class shared specifics, not on arbitrarily assigned mechanical aspects of role.

No, but I wouldn't mind an option to switch factions and become the faction equivalent of your class.

Only issue would be the Story Quests, they would either have to be reset to the start and have some system where it scales your level to be appropriate for the quests or have them pre-completed (which is a bit sucky).

Every AC pair shares 1 tree, so your statement is misleading. They also share the entire set of base class skills. A DPS Sniper and a healing Operative are not much more different from each other than a DPS Operative and healing Operative are. The only role change not currently allowed that AC change would allow is between tank and healing. Big deal.

Except that, to the best of my knowledge, NO "AC pair" shares a tree. Both classes in an "AC pair" have a tree with the same name and some skills that have the same name but those trees are NOT identical and therefore NOT a SHARED tree. Each of the classes has some skills in this "same name" tree that the other class does not have . Even the skills that have the same name differ in fundamental ways, such as range.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.