Character Rename - Bait & Switch

Character Rename has finally made it into SWTOR, we have been promised this for so very long and now it is in the game...Cartel Market. Subscribers were promised a free rename (we were actually promised a few renames but they have reneged on that, Legacy/Guild) but a few days ago we were told there is a problem giving out the free rename.

Okay they have offered free items to subscribers since launch, that system has been in place and working for the last 18 months, now all of a sudden it is not working?

Instead of holding back the Character Rename on the Cartel Market until they give out the free one they put it there ready to go at 1000CC. This is a blatant bait & switch, money grab. If they cared at all about their subscribers they would have held off till their so called problem was fixed. There is NO problem they just know there are many out their who for various reasons will not wait and pay for it.

A lot of subscribers I have talked to are not even aware we are getting a free name change, these ones who have now forked over their money will be on the forums complaining when/if we get our free token. This would have been avoided quite easily by holding off putting the rename on the Cartel Market.

Character Rename has finally made it into SWTOR, we have been promised this for so very long and now it is in the game...Cartel Market. Subscribers were promised a free rename (we were actually promised a few renames but they have reneged on that, Legacy/Guild) but a few days ago we were told there is a problem giving out the free rename.

Okay they have offered free items to subscribers since launch, that system has been in place and working for the last 18 months, now all of a sudden it is not working?

Instead of holding back the Character Rename on the Cartel Market until they give out the free one they put it there ready to go at 1000CC. This is a blatant bait & switch, money grab. If they cared at all about their subscribers they would have held off till their so called problem was fixed. There is NO problem they just know there are many out their who for various reasons will not wait and pay for it.

A lot of subscribers I have talked to are not even aware we are getting a free name change, these ones who have now forked over their money will be on the forums complaining when/if we get our free token. This would have been avoided quite easily by holding off putting the rename on the Cartel Market.

Really? So you would rather hold back a feature for everyone to have access to because you can't wait a few days to get your free name change?

I swear to god...

People that use the internet to play games should really use the internet to do research! They stated that free renames were coming if people cant take the time to research the game they play its not Bait/Switch.

It's called impatience!!!

Edited by Wodaz

Really? So you would rather hold back a feature for everyone to have access to because you can't wait a few days to get your free name change?
Did you not get the memo?

He is the center of the universe and if he doesn't get the thing he wants, no one can get the things they want either.

I made this point a few hours ago. It is so transparent. it's ridiculous. EA has been voted the worst gaming company 2 years in a row for a reason. They care nothing about you, only your wallet. Wall Street applauds and the little guy get's F'd. Welcome to the US! Somehow we think that the corporate swine are helping our country grow, instead they are further dividing the classes. Three Boos for EAware. There new motto should be, "there's a sucker born every minute".

People that use the internet to play games should really use the internet to do research! They stated that free renames were coming if people cant take the time to research the game they play its not Bait/Switch.

that's BS and you know it. You have no idea when the "free" name change will come. Just blind obedience. Go buy more Cartel Packs and post less.

A lot of subscribers...are not even aware we are getting a free name change, these ones who have now forked over their money will be on the forums complaining when/if we get our free token.

To be honest, I wasn't aware of the free rename promise. I've only read about that today while reading up on the 2.1 details. And I do read a lot about this game. I try to stay informed. This one nugget just seems to have slipped by me.

Anyway, I logged in this morning, coughed up my credit card number and bought enough Cartel Coins to rename a character I've been wanting to rename for a while. Then I realised that the new name breaches the naming policy (oops!).

IF I ever actually do get a free rename, I might log a ticket with Customer Service to refund the Cartel Coins pleading ignorance. Or I might use it to rename the character to something that doesn't break policy. Or I may do nothing with it. I haven't decided yet.

But what I won't do, come what may, is come to the forums and whine about it. I'm an adult and I take responsibility for my actions. I took an action that seemed right at the time. In hindsight, maybe it wasn't. I might ask, politely, for a do-over, but I appreciate the fact that life doesn't come with a guaranteed Ctrl-Z function. Sometimes you just need to grin and bear it!

Actually, what I heard is that they have delayed the free rename (toon, legacy, guild) for subbers due to technical issues, but it was only delayed.

They have a post writing we, the subbers, get one of each for free ONCE.

It's not that easy to go back now. We just need to be patient and wait for what comes next.

Shorter OP: "WAH WAH WAH I want my instant gratification NOOOOOOOWWWWWW!!!!! In fact, instant gratification takes too long, and it's all a sinister conspiracy!! "

OP, you are an embarrassment, and you should be beet-red with shame right now.

If you really, desperately can't wait to rename Darth SillyName, not even for a couple of days until they sort out the free rename issues, you can:

• use your monthly entitlement of free CCs for the past few months
  • cough up the dough and admit that it's your own choice to do so
  • roll an alt so you don't have to ever look at Darth SillyName again.

Actually, what I heard is that they have delayed the free rename (toon, legacy, guild) for subbers due to technical issues, but it was only delayed.

They have a post writing we, the subbers, get one of each for free ONCE.

It's not that easy to go back now. We just need to be patient and wait for what comes next.

sorry but they changed the deal on you. you only get the toon rename now. they changed it so you wont get the legacy, guild rename.

sorry but they changed the deal on you. you only get the toon rename now. they changed it so you wont get the legacy, guild rename.

Hmm... that I didn't see, so you yeah, I might've been outdated in info.

Anyway... a free toon rename is better than nothing in my opinion.

Since I might not change my toons's names now or for a long time, it's not a big deal for me.

Did you not get the memo?

He is the center of the universe and if he doesn't get the thing he wants, no one can get the things they want either.

<sarcasm>

That can't be, because I'm the Center of the Universe! ME!ME!ME!

</sarcasm>

It IS bait & switch as some subscribers who would have used their free name change have now gone ahead and paid for it, either because they did not know a free one is coming or they were impatient. If Bioware held back till both were ready this would not happen and it would look better for them as a company.

This just reeks of money grabbing and will cause problems for their CS team down the road. I am not interested in the name change as such...I do have a character I wish to rename but for me there is no point at the moment as I am on an Australian server that is soon to be shut down so I will probably loose all my character names when I get to transfer.

Actually it's a double bait and switch.

First they announce that subscribers will get a free Character, Legacy and Guild rename and place this information right next to a "Subscribe Now" link. Then they decide this was an "admin error" and they only intended to offer a free character rename. How many people subbed because of the original offer though?

Then when 2.1 is about to be launched they announce that for "technical reasons" they can't even offer the free Character rename. There's no mention of this in the patch notes. And players can't easily check the forum announcements because you have to use a backdoor to get in here, the front door currently says "Forums Down For Maintenance". So they know full well that a lot of players will inadvertently pay with their coins rather than wait.

Shady indeed. It puts EA/Bioware in a very poor light.

Edited by Cernow

Subscribers were promised a free rename (we were actually promised a few renames but they have reneged on that, Legacy/Guild) but a few days ago we were told there is a problem giving out the free rename.

Actually, we were told that there would be a delay in the free re-name before 2.1 even hit. If you can find your way to the forums, you ought to read the Dev Tracker periodically. From the Dev Tracker on May 9th - "One piece of bad news I do have is that unfortunately we are running into some issues granting the free name change and so that will not happen right at the launch of Game Update 2.1. We are working to get it implemented ASAP and I will give you exact timing as soon as I can. You will definitely get it, just not right away." Also, I'm not sure you actually know what the terms "promise" and "bait & switch" mean. When did they promise we would get free re-names for legacy and guild? Someone posted an incorrect statement on the update page which was promptly corrected by the Devs when they found out about it. That's a far cry from a "promise". Was it sloppy work by whoever typed up the update page? Absolutely. But it's a far cry from a "promise".

Um, that's not a bait and switch. I suggest you look up the definition.

Also, they have stated that a free rename is on the way. I suggest practicing patience while you wait for your free stuff.

People who get stuff for free often complain the worst. Why is that? :t_confused:

I made this point a few hours ago. It is so transparent. it's ridiculous. EA has been voted the worst gaming company 2 years in a row for a reason. They care nothing about you, only your wallet. Wall Street applauds and the little guy get's F'd. Welcome to the US! Somehow we think that the corporate swine are helping our country grow, instead they are further dividing the classes. Three Boos for EAware. There new motto should be, "there's a sucker born every minute".

Wrong, EA was voted WORST COMPANY.

And you know what that means? People ACTUALLY think EA is worse than Bank of America. Or Walmart. Or BP. It shows that gamers are fickle morons with no concept of reality.

To assume the ending to EA is worse than single-handedly causing a housing-market crash? Wow, just wow.

And you know what that means? People ACTUALLY think EA is worse than Bank of America. Or Walmart. Or BP. It shows that gamers are fickle morons with no concept of reality.

To assume the ending to EA is worse than single-handedly causing a housing-market crash? Wow, just wow.

/Signed.

People really need to get some perspective.. starting with the empty heads that vote a game company worse over BofA and Walmart.

Wrong, EA was voted WORST COMPANY.

Doesn't change the fact that EA has a track record of screwing over their customers, which is what caused them to get voted in the first place. Doesn't matter what the company does or sells, if you get customers pissed off at you, it isn't a good thing.

It also could mean that gamers were the only ones who actually cared enough to vote in the first place. You don't know how the poll was conducted, how they got people to vote, or what the criteria was. All you know is that EA was voted worst. Regardless of it actually reflects reality or not, it is NOT a good thing.

And the worst company in America is the government, but thats another topic :p

Edited by jgoldsack

I am inclined to agree with the OP. It is a bit fishy that they have a problem giving something away but have no problem selling it... How hard is it to send each sub a free rename? I think this is a simple way to take advantage of people who want the rename so bad they cant wait for an undisclosed time that they get a free one.