Is it time to lower the price of a subscription?

This game is literally the most expensive MMO out right now subscription wise. Many subs feel they are not getting their monies worth either. I think it is high time to start a lowering of the subscription price. As it stands now if someone subs and wants to buy RotHC they are pay MORE than the F2Plebs. Doing this I believe would be more inviting for people that are going to sub/re-sub as it is not such a bank breaking investment.

inb4it's$15dollarsthat'scheap and all the other stupid strawmen and tu quoques.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This game is literally the most expensive MMO out right now subscription wise. Many subs feel they are not getting their monies worth either. I think it is high time to start a lowering of the subscription price. As it stands now if someone subs and wants to buy RotHC they are pay MORE than the F2Plebs. Doing this I believe would be more inviting for people that are going to sub/re-sub as it is not such a bank breaking investment.

inb4it's$15dollarsthat'scheap and all the other stupid strawmen and tu quoques.

Uhm. What?

WoW is the same price. If you don't feel it is worth $15/mo, there is now the option to play without paying a subscription fee. . .

Uhm. What?

WoW is the same price. If you don't feel it is worth $15/mo, there is now the option to play without paying a subscription fee. . .

Yeah, I'm a bit confused. I used to pay $15/month for WoW and $15/month for Rift. So I don't understand how the OP can say "literally the most expensive"...

I do not think he understands the word "literally".

Besides that, still fine with the price. What my sub paid for back in 1.0 I still get now.

Honestly, All I get from my sub is the ability to post on the forums and 500 CC per month, instead of lowering the price make it sosubscribers have more! E.G. customisation koisk for credits for subs, 1mil credits = 10 CC etc.

honor your subscribers again BW!

Wow, total disagreement in one thread, total agreement in another (i.e., this one).

@the OP: no company gives more value for the money just because some customers ask for it. If you want to send BWEA a message, unsub and tell them why.

Wow- $14.99

Eve- $14.95

WAR-$14.99

EQ2- $14.99

Lineage- $15.00

Rift- $14.99

I don't think that word means what you think it means.

But, wasn't FFXI $12 (with 1 character slot) ;)

Yeah, No reason to change the price. If you play the game a decent amount. The price is insanely cheap compared to any other sort of entertainment. Even compared to other video games. How much gameplay would you actually get anywhere else (outside of MMO's) spending only $15 a month

For my sub I pay over $17 a month. Welcome to corporate taxed America. Thus literally the most expensive.

Edit: for all of you that assume that I am complaining about the price for myself I am not, stop assuming such things. I don't mind the price but many that I talk to say that if it was $10 a month, they'd sub in a heart beat. $15 is out of some people's reach.

Edited by BurnedRemains

This game is literally the most expensive MMO out right now subscription wise.

World of Warcraft Subscription Charges as posted on their website:

1 month / £8.99 every month

3 months / £8.39 every month

Billed @ / £25.17 every 3 months

6 months / £7.69

Star Wars: The Old Republic Subscriptions:

1 month / £8.99 every month

90 days / £8.39 every month

Billed @ / £25.17 every 90 days

180 days / £7.69

Billed @ / £46.14 every 180 days

They're identical. O_o

I've seen this discussion many times with different games, and very simply, cutting the subscription cost would more than likely not get enough additional subscriptions to make up for the very direct cut in income that is coming from the subs they have. And once you go down in price, you can't ever raise it again. That's why all MMOs kind of stick to that standard. If you consider inflation from when that standard was set, the price has indirectly become cheaper anyway. ;)

For my sub I pay over $17 a month. Welcome to corporate taxed America. Thus literally the most expensive.

What state do you live in, so I can be sure to never move there.

Edited by chuixupu

You pay $15 plus taxes. If those other games do not charge they will be soon. Laws are changing and you now have to pay taxes online. Saying Bioware has to change this is crazy.

Honestly, All I get from my sub is the ability to post on the forums and 500 CC per month, instead of lowering the price make it sosubscribers have more! E.G. customisation koisk for credits for subs, 1mil credits = 10 CC etc.

Except, that isn't all you get as a subscriber.

Unlimited WZs, FPs, OPs

3 Crew Skills

Bank Storage

No 200k credit cap

No chat restriction

No mail restriction

Trading

More than 2 GTN slots

Free Respec

More than 2 Character Slots

More than 3 species choices

More than 3 space missions

Emergency Fleet Pass

Unlimited field revive

Artifact Equipment Authorization

No gimped xp/valor/comms

In-game Ticket System

Section X

If you think forum privelages and 500CC is all you get for $15/mo sub, why are you still subscribing? You should've swapped to F2P!

Edit: for all of you that assume that I am complaining about the price for myself I am not, stop assuming such things.

Well, you kinda are.

Not everyone lives in the US. Therefore, not everyone has to pay the same taxes you do. I obviously wouldn't mind a reduction in sub price, but this is not something that affects us all.

I'm not qqing, troll harder brah.

Sorry, BUt you are claiming that SWTOR is the most expensive subscription when you are including taxes.

That doesn't work when everything either has or will very soon be getting taxes.

So we get 50million credits a month :/

I'm not qqing, troll harder brah.

Mom cut down your allowance this month?

The troll is calling someone else a troll?

What is this, trollception?!

We've got trolls inside of trolls inside of trolls.

Edited by scraycroft

$15/month is fine.

I'd rather they just stop lessening the value of that subscription by stopping the insulting policy of redefining what a subscription is. It used to be "all inclusive" but now has the rider of "*....except anything added since Judgement Day (CM launch date)".

Uhm.. and you're not capped at 200k credits, you can use mail, you can trade with other players... you're quite a lot more free to do what you want than F2P afaik.

And I agree, the sub seems to be worth less and less, but there ARE some key things you get.

Edited by Asavrede

The troll is calling someone else a troll?

What is this, trollception?!

Personally I don't think he even lifts :rolleyes:

It was a cool story, I especially like the part with all the qq.

Seriously though, sub prices is on par with all other major MMOs and it has a pretty decent F2P program. Last investor call reported their revenue has doubled since F2P launch, subs aren't getting cheaper, nor do they need to. The ONLY legitimate suggestion I've seen for a cheaper sub, is to have a secondary cheaper sub that's only $10/$12 a month and includes everything the normal does, except the CC stipend.

Edited by Arlon_Nabarlly

I disagree with the obvious fact they are NOT more expensive then other games.

I do agree that its over priced to subscribe.

Games that charge this month generally have new content on a regular basis, as well as COUNTLESS bug fixes. And usually fix bugs that were in beta within months of release.

This game...has the SAME bugs i reported in beta. and passes off reskinned garbage on the cartel market that requires us to buy it...as content.

OHHH we also get more FP and WZ...both of which are bug laden.

We also get to post on the forums and be ignored by devs.

and many other features that most games include by default.

While i enjoy the game. it is nothing more then money sync. core game mechanics are broken or bugged. new content is rare. (reskinned garbage is not content, neither is customization. access to stuff already in the game..at a fee...is not new content. Its charging players who didn't select old content, a chance to access that old content...for a fee)

This game needs to either step up its dev team and make new content and fix old bugs...or reduce sub fees to $5-$9.99 a month. But it certainly doesn't seem worth 14. and once my sub expires i have no intentions of renewing. PVP is broken beyond belief and its the only real end game i enjoy playing. Correction. Enjoyed. past tense.

$15/month is fine.

I'd rather they just stop lessening the value of that subscription by stopping the insulting policy of redefining what a subscription is. It used to be "all inclusive" but now has the rider of "*....except anything added since Judgement Day (CM launch date)".

I think this is the problem with their transition.

F2P model cannot allow subs to have everything -- they'd be losing quite a bit of money.

But, subscription model cannot charge subs for 99% of this crap.

So now, they're stuck with a F2P model inside of a Sub model -- and they can't stay true to either of them. Crappy situation -- and I wish they would either let me pay a "premium" subscription, like $30/mo -- and get access to everything for in-game credits.

Money isn't really the issue for me, personally -- but I do hate feeling nickel and dimed, and I just think micro-transactions are annoying.