The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Who is the oldest Geezer here?

MSchuyler

There's another thread concerning "older" players, the "45 and older professional club" here: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=194387 and there have been some interesting and fun posts, but I quickly learned that a lot of people think they are "old" for playing an MMORPG if they are over thirty.

My youngest kid is over thirty, my oldest over 40, both sniveling little whiners. At least they don't live at home in the basement. And I have seven grandchildren. The oldest, 14, taught me this game. So when I hear someone is "old" at 35 I do the usual mature thing and ROTFLMAO in hysterics. Of course, it's kind of hard to get up off the floor these days, but still.....

So, WHO is the oldest geezer here? I am 64 in a few days (5/21/49),

Beat that.

P.S. There's a prize. And no cheating!

Edited by MSchuyler

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't fall into the 45+ category yet at just over 40 so I might not be your target audience with this post, but I felt I had to reply to this because I am so glad you posted it. It has crossed my mind that since I am over 30, I might be too old to be MMORPGing. I will have to check out the thread you referenced. I just started actually playing a few months ago and I noticed that there are many many things that the kids know immediately off the top of their heads which I have to eventually discover through trial and error or ask about. I am so glad to know that there are other older players on swtor and I know there is a spot for all of us here too. This post just reinforces it.

I am sixty almost 61 (born August of 1952). Started out playing D&D in the seventies and just kept playing. As new formats came into being just kept playing using the new tech.

This however is the first MMO I have Stuck with not because of age gap, but just because i find this game fun.

I also shy away for Guilds and Flashpoints just because of age differences and my poor old eyes and shot reflexes hurt in combat, things 'youngsters' don't understand.

Need to have a Geezers Guild here where all us old foogies can hang out in.

Older than me by a few months. I started out with D & D board games also in the 70s, loved the Sierra puzzle games when they came out. Everquest was a revelation. It wasn't a safe game. When I first logged in, i accidently attacked my trainer, the very first guy you see. He killed me instantly. And I had to figure out a corpse run. With no tutorial. That was a game of discovery and will always be my favorite experience in mmos. I have played a number since then. Star Wars has a very enjoyable but mostly solo leveling experience I have had in an mmo. But I miss the Sand Box community atmosphere of Everquest. City of Heroes was a hoot too. Edited by MotorCityMan

I know what you mean about the reflex issue. My grandson is just SO FAST that I keep asking him, "What did you just do?" and he's ten steps past that already. I also noticed that he plays much differently than I do. I "play" right behind my guy, at the same level or a little above. My grandson plays from about a hundred feet up, so his vision of what is around him is much better, but his toon is a tiny thing in the middle of the screen. He says he does it for situational awareness (though he doesn't use those terms.)

I'm also much more of a solitary player and shy away from Flashpoints, space battles, and even Heroics. Some of that stuff is way too fast to play with bifocals.

Started with Adventure, text-based, zero graphics, then graduated to that Star Wars-like game on an Atari 400 cartridge.

I for one respect that oldies play MMO's. I have total respect for you guys. To still be playing video games of course.

I take my hat off to you guys and if there are more out there I bow to you all, with full respect.

I'm only 23 and am just amazed with this.

Whilst I myself am a mere 20, I used to raid with a couple in their 60s back when i was playing wow.

Bumped into them on my return to wow towards the end of cata, when i returned to the raid scene they were well ahead of me, and offered me all the help I could ever want.

When mop rolled around we all started fresh, I was the 1st in my team to 90, from memory i was 90 on the thursday night... But i didnt even play on release day.

The two of them and I were clocking about 18-20hour days on wow (don't judge me! :p)

By the time the masses were raid ready myself and the two of them were in the top percentage of players.

I was #2 dps warrior on horde frostmourne (if any wowers are reading) without stepping foot in a raid. Purely because the three of us had put in so many hours into getting as good as possibly whilst the rest of the team was getting 90 and gearing.

By the time LFR rolled out I only needed the sword from 5th boss, and that was only a minor upgrade because of the extra strength. By the time our team was there I only needed 2-3 pieces of NM gear. This was all within the first few weeks of MOP.

We eventually got raiding and were i think within first 15 guilds through MSV, cant remember exactly but we were one of the early birds to get elegon down (god i hated that fight) and last boss was a joke)

I love playing with older members of the mmorpg community. Please don't shy away from me :) whilst I can understand you don't really want to hang around with the 12 year olds, there are few of us who do. I hate them :p

I doubt many will read, and fewer would ever contact me, but feel free.

Belzagor on harbringer

Not quite up there yet. Will turn 44 later this year, but I am certainly sick of the "You're too old to be playing games.' garbage. Average age of a computer gamer is mid to upper 30s these days. We started it and by god there is not reason we can't keep going. That and the larger discretionary income helps :D

Yep first generation gamer here, I have past 40 and am proud that we older folk made video games a success so these young whipper snappers can enjoy them today lol

Yes that was slightly tongue in cheek so don't flame me lol

Apparently, I'm not the oldest, but I still get the "What! You're playing video games at your age?!" crap. Will never forget a kid (must have been about 11) who suggested I go to Vegas (where real adults go) instead of playing a kid's game. That was while I was playing Diablo 2. Vegas! How do you level in Vegas?

My son plays and confessed that he has never told his guild that his mother plays--much less asked the guild to invite me to join.

Edited by NgeneR

So, WHO is the oldest geezer here? I am 64 in a few days (5/21/49),

Beat that.

P.S. There's a prize. And no cheating!

I really wish I could enlighten my retired parents and show them how fun playing video games are. They sit on their asses all day anyway!

67. My first computer space game was Space wars on a Heath Kit with 8K memory and a cassett recoder for memory

Looks like you are in the lead! Let's let it run a little while in case there are some guys with walkers and canes who need to catch up.

I'm not that old :p but wanted to say that if any wiser (read: older!) men and women are looking for a European guild to call home, we would love to have you in the Phoenix Unit! We have people of many ages in our guild and value mature members greatly. (Especially if you have management experience :) )

Here's a link to an interview on Correlian Run Radio about us: http://corellianrun.com/2013/03/04/community-checkpoint-30/#more-18504