How to kill a Sniper/Gunslinger........

gsll

Lol. I beg to differ. And yes. I main both.

Assassin is the counter class...so... if you both play optimally you're going to lose :) or at the very least have a close fight.

Edited by dakisback

Sure my Sniper is barely geared and 55 PvP is pretty ugly at the moment. Though, when I tried PvP on my Sniper when I hit 55 I just seemed by far squishier than before. I've barely even touched my Sniper since then ;\

Most snipers don't pop entrench until you're within melee range. This makes seismic grenades your friend. Pop them out of cover with a seismic grenade and you start the fight with the advantage.

Can't really go by the stealthers that come right at the front of you and get shot out of stealth before they even use their opener. There area lot of them

Yes, the same mouthbreathers who complained our stealth detection was OP for our class.

LOL.

Most snipers don't pop entrench until you're within melee range. This makes seismic grenades your friend. Pop them out of cover with a seismic grenade and you start the fight with the advantage.

Yeah, I'm guilty of this more then I'd like to admit. Usually, its because I'm more interested in finishing off the priority target (in my mind, such as a healer or someone preventing a cap at the time) and if I have to get killed by a stealther/second guy 10 seconds later that's usually a trade I'm fine making.

Edited by islander

Spinning Kick -> Force Potency -> Shadow Strike -> Low Slash -> Mind Crush -> Force Stun -> Force Breach -> Project -> 2 x Double Strike if Shadow Strike didn't crit -> Spinning Strike -> Dead.

Use CC in that order cause Force Stun will cap Resolve, Sniper stays CC'd the entire time. If they have their trinket available you may have to take one or two to the face, no big deal. If they manage to Entrench after trinket then LoS to force a move, vanish and wait them out, or find an easier target.

Edit: Even an Entrenched Sniper isn't that hard Assassins/Shadows can simply do more instant burst, you just have to waste CC to proc Infiltration Tactics and so on.

Wow, you completely white bar the enemy, and use your one charge of FP on a hard cast Mind Crush and the second on a stun? And your Discharge and Shock are 6-7 gcd into the rotation?

No doubt this could work on someone new to the game but you have to really work on that rotation. :)

We've got a Tactics/ Tank Vaunguard in our guild who easily beats some the best slingers and snipers on the server. I don't know exactly how, but there's been a lot of QQ about Hold the Line.

Yea I thought unremitting was a ***** but HtL is a huge pain in the *** for a GS...especially SS spec. Then add the reflects and boom goes the sniper.

Edited by JustinxDuff

Yea I thought unremitting was a ***** but HtL is a huge pain in the *** for a GS...especially SS spec. Then add the reflects and boom goes the sniper.

Except it only works after we Force Leap to a target, and you can't exactly do that to a Sniper/Gunslinger in cover.

As a Vigilance Guardian, I'm STILL trying to figure out how NOT to get blown to hell and back by Snipers. And Saber Reflect can only take one so far...

Edited by RodneyMcNeely

The easiest way to deal with Sniper is hit them with a Maul and see if that will scare them into leaving their cover. If they do he is going to get shredded basically instantly and die by all your guys who can charge. Note that this only works with Maul because Maul not only hits hard, it makes a very distinctive noise when you stick a lightsaber in someone's face so ensure the recipient always knows he's being Mauled. For example HSM hits just as hard but there's no obvious cue for a Heatseeker so the recipient might not even notice that he's being targetted for a major attack.

Of course if the Sniper isn't intimidated (and if he's good, he shouldn't be) then you got problems.

Actually Hidden Strike has a similar effect, but it's harder to get a Hidden Strike off against a Sniper than a Maul. You basically want something that hits very hard and is easily identifiable to trick the Sniper into leaving his cover, so that the classes that can't deal with cover (a whole mess of them) can deal with the Sniper. An Assassin or an Op may or may not be able to beat a Sniper in cover 1on1. That's not the point because almost anybody can beat a Sniper 1on1 once he leaves his cover, so the goal is to scare the Sniper into leaving his cover.

Edited by Astarica

The easiest way to deal with Sniper is hit them with a Maul and see if that will scare them into leaving their cover. If they do he is going to get shredded basically instantly and die by all your guys who can charge. Note that this only works with Maul because Maul not only hits hard, it makes a very distinctive noise when you stick a lightsaber in someone's face so ensure the recipient always knows he's being Mauled. For example HSM hits just as hard but there's no obvious cue for a Heatseeker so the recipient might not even notice that he's being targetted for a major attack.

Of course if the Sniper isn't intimidated (and if he's good, he shouldn't be) then you got problems.

Actually Hidden Strike has a similar effect, but it's harder to get a Hidden Strike off against a Sniper than a Maul. You basically want something that hits very hard and is easily identifiable to trick the Sniper into leaving his cover, so that the classes that can't deal with cover (a whole mess of them) can deal with the Sniper. An Assassin or an Op may or may not be able to beat a Sniper in cover 1on1. That's not the point because almost anybody can beat a Sniper 1on1 once he leaves his cover, so the goal is to scare the Sniper into leaving his cover.

Yet we have some sniper "pros" that claim snipers need to stay mobile out of cover. See this on regular basis on sniper forums. Ok ok, if you are godlike 360 aware that nobody will leap to you, you still risk getting pulled by a stealthed tanksin...

Yet we have some sniper "pros" that claim snipers need to stay mobile out of cover. See this on regular basis on sniper forums. Ok ok, if you are godlike 360 aware that nobody will leap to you, you still risk getting pulled by a stealthed tanksin...

Ever since our new hightail it ability we can be at least somewhat mobile. Prior to 55 you were a fixed turret, or you were mobile kill bait.

But you need to trade your entrench for his combat vanish ASAP, the more health you got left for he comes out of stealth, the higher are your chances.

There is another reason for desiring to do this ASAP. All of the commentary in this thread regarding the Assassin v. Sniper fight seems to be fixated on a 1v1 segregated engagement. Which is probably the rarest of encounters. What people are ignoring is that the sniper can lose a 1v1 to the Assassin in a non-segregated engagement and still WIN from a team perspective. If the Assassin is waiting 20 seconds after using exit out of combat stealth to reengage the sniper, then the sniper can be dps outputting for that 20 seconds, i.e. making himself useful. In fact for many warzones, that 20 second window is in excess of the time required for the sniper to reenter combat after being killed. In other words, even if the Assassin kills the Sniper rapidly after beginning the second battle, the Sniper still has more uptime than the Assassin, and should be outputting higher dps.

Assassin versus Sniper is one of the more interesting meta game. It's a fight where neither side is really concerned with killing the other guy. Assassin's goal is to get the Sniper to leave the Cover because Sniper is easy for anyone to kill once he leaves it. Sniper's goal is basically figure out if it's possible to somehow kill the Assassin first or, failing that, at least kill someone else before you're forced to leave cover (because chances are really good you'd be dead after you leave your cover). If they do fight, it's usually mutual assured destruction, as one guy will die and the winner will have so few health left that he's going to die immediately to anyone else nearby.

I find that Force Lightning is deadly on Snipers, even if you don't have Harnessed Darkness. It uses up 2 charges of Ballistic Dampeners but only loses 15% of the damage (absorb 30% on 2 out of 4 ticks). Once Ballistic Dampeners is gone, the Sniper is faced with the nasty situation of holding his ground and probably die, or leaving Cover and probably die. If you see the Sniper pop entrench, use Force Lightning immediately as he's almost certainly not going to leave his cover at this point and will only have 1 charge of Ballistic Dampeners left after your lightning.

Spinning Kick -> Force Potency -> Shadow Strike -> Low Slash -> Mind Crush -> Force Stun -> Force Breach -> Project -> 2 x Double Strike if Shadow Strike didn't crit -> Spinning Strike -> Dead.

:eek:

That's .... a pretty brutal rotation. I'll give that a go ... thanx:D