The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

The weird people you meet in Group Finder.

Groupfinder Short Story part III: PLEASE MAKE IT STOP

Queue as 59 Commando, get pop to heal for HM Czerka Labs. Tank is Vanguard, DPS are Sage and Sentinel. They're in so-so gear but I figure we should be just fine. There I go being an optimist again.

Tank proceeds to go jumping down the atrium ramps to get to the bottom without getting the cards. He ignores my reminder that we need to get the cards, and then proceeds to split the party, chainpull groups despite the fact that I'm still near the top trying to get to the first keycard without pulling, and eventually get us all killed by a swarm of mobs all rushing up the stairs together. One of the DPS just NOPEs the heck out, I concur and drop group as well. The last thing I see is the tank futilely yelling in chat that he knows what he's doing.

SCREAM.

The Progenitor

KDY (15-54)

Station Guardian One

Adds... Why it's still so difficult to kill adds?

Group: me, Shadow, 2x Sentinel

We die multiple times with this group because sentinels ignore adds. Both sentinels quit and we get replacements: 2x Guardian. It's not difficult to guess where this is going. Both Guardians ignore adds and we don't have enough dps to kill adds fast enough. Not to even mention that I get focused by boss + adds most of the time + guardians clicking kolto stations (usually both at the same time) at 90%+ hp when I am at 20% or below.

Repairs: 19k

At least I got new record! Haven't seen that high repair bills for a while in leveling content.

Where: Battle of Rishi Tactical Flash point

Who: Me (60 slinger in optimized 186 gear), 56 scoundrel, 58 Guardian tank, 57 Shadow Tank

We start, I am cruising through not really paying attention since it is a tactical and easy. I am admittedly pulling the groups instead of letting the tank do it because well, I can kill them before the rest of the group really gets there. Then the fun begins. No one has died yet, or even come close and the Guardian tank starts raging about letting him set up the pulls etc.

I say ok, but ask for a guard from one of them if they want to keep aggro. No guard. I am being nice and letting them pull. Now we get to the first boss. I tank the boss. even using surrender on cool down to drop aggro. The Guardian taunts, but after the 6 seconds, I immediately have aggro again. That is fine, I can probably solo it anyway. Continue on, the guardian rages on again about pulling mobs before he sets them up (no body was doing it, not sure where he got that idea from). I ask for a guard again, since he is trying to play proper tank. nothing. I get agro from pulls pretty much immediately.

At this point, the tank tells me to stop pulling again...I am not pulling. I am waiting and just stealing the agro through dps, I explain it and he rages at me. I get angry, so I decide to just go nuts. I start pulling, mobs everywhere. I pull a group, pull another group, aoe everything. The tank gets angry start cussing at me, threatens to drop. I say "meh, its a tactical that I can probably solo, you can go if you want". He drops. The other tank drops (who was remarkably silent this whole time).

We finish the last 2 bosses with just me and the Scoundrel, no problems, no one coming close to dying. Say gg and leave.

That was longer than I intended, but thought it was funny. My main is a tank, and when he asked I stopped pulling early until I realized he did not know what was going on. I might have done a childish thing in pulling 2 or 3 groups at a time to piss him off, but it was funny to watch him rage and quit even though no one was dying and we were flying through the instance.

I had a blood hunt on the same slinger where I got yelled at for soloing 2 of the challenge bosses why the other 3 people were doing the first one. Made the instance a whole lot faster though.

We start, I am cruising through not really paying attention since it is a tactical and easy. I am admittedly pulling the groups instead of letting the tank do it because well, I can kill them before the rest of the group really gets there.

Well, Sab/Engineering is a bit OP right now. They really need to nerf it.

Well, Sab/Engineering is a bit OP right now. They really need to nerf it.

I am actually Sharpshooter/Marksman. The tacticals are all level 58 ,mobs and I am in optimized gear (100/110 acc and about 70% surge). I can usually 4 shot silvers and 1/2 shot normal mobs. That and you can just aoe with orbital and sweeping fire. orbital is more of a CC for the normal mobs and sweeping fire is just overpowered now. Level 60 normal mobs die within 1 channeling of sweeping fire now, level 58s just do not stand a chance.

I am actually Sharpshooter/Marksman. The tacticals are all level 58 ,mobs and I am in optimized gear (100/110 acc and about 70% surge). I can usually 4 shot silvers and 1/2 shot normal mobs. That and you can just aoe with orbital and sweeping fire. orbital is more of a CC for the normal mobs and sweeping fire is just overpowered now. Level 60 normal mobs die within 1 channeling of sweeping fire now, level 58s just do not stand a chance.

Strongs 1 level below:

Flyby -> Shock Charge -> Incendiary Grenade -> Sabotage Charge -> Speed Shot = dead before channel finishes

Edited by Halinalle

We start, I am cruising through not really paying attention since it is a tactical and easy. I am admittedly pulling the groups instead of letting the tank do it because well, I can kill them before the rest of the group really gets there. Then the fun begins.

I think you got it wrong, this thread is about people doing the unusual and unexpected, hence weird. You are the weird one in the group. :D

The remnants of 12x XP continue to turn up gems in the 60 HM FPs. I had this amusing encounter with a tunnel vision Jug tank in HM Legacy of the Rakata.

Tank: I feel bad for healer

Tank: apparently healing this is harder than healing HM TFB

This is the first thing the tank says to the group when we start. I (the healer) disagree with this, but I mention that the amount of damage silver mobs put out is currently glitched. (It will be reduced in a coming patch.)

From the start, I see that the tank is only agroing one mob at a time, but the group tries to ignore the problem until we reach to the part of the FP where we need to fight many mobs standing around crates to destroy. The sorc DPS immediately dies in a trash pull during which everyone in the group except the tank had agro.

Me: Bad sign when everyone but the tank has agro

Tank: Not as easy as it looks

Tank: Especially in a group with that many

The NiM title wearing mara helpfully points out what high threat AoE moves the tank should use and asks for guard. He also tells the tank to "look over some guides." The tank then feels the need to assert his pedigree to prove he is not a nub. He links the following achievement for our edification: <Exorbitantly Wealthy><Living Legend><Galactic Mastery> saying "I'm not new here, don't go telling me to look up a freaking guide."

In the next trash pull, the tank continues to tunnel vision. At one point the mara starts jumping up and down next to a droid that is whittling down the healer, trying to get the tanks attention and yelling at the tank to start hitting it. The tank decides now is a good time to put the mara on ignore.

After one especially bad trash pull, the whole group wipes because the healer died to having agro.

Sorc dps: your costing me money

Tank: Not my fault they hit you so hard

Me: >.>

Me: lol

Mara: I love this guy

After a moment of silent appreciation we moved on and eventually completed the FP.

In the next trash pull, the tank continues to tunnel vision. At one point the mara starts jumping up and down next to a droid that is whittling down the healer, trying to get the tanks attention and yelling at the tank to start hitting it. The tank decides now is a good time to put the mara on ignore.

Just another example of dps not doing their job.

If enemy is hitting healer it's your job as a dps to take the aggro. Then run around tank to get tanks attention. Never run away from tank. As a dps you never, I repeat never, let enemies hit healer.

Btw, where are these magical strong enemies that hit like a truck? I'm asking because I have yet to find one and I really want some challenges. Just a bonus for you: I'll go and beat them with my Combat Sentinel and Carnage Marauder.

Edited by Halinalle

Just another example of dps not doing their job.

If enemy is hitting healer it's your job as a dps to take the aggro. Then run around tank to get tanks attention. Never run away from tank. As a dps you never, I repeat never, let enemies hit healer.

Btw, where are these magical strong enemies that hit like a truck? I'm asking because I have yet to find one and I really want some challenges. Just a bonus for you: I'll go and beat them with my Combat Sentinel and Carnage Marauder.

I don't know for sure whether the Strongs are glitched or not. I've just seen that any trash pull in the new lvl 60 HM FPs that contains more than 3 silvers is more challenging to heal than the boss fights in the same.

For example:

In Legacy of the Rakata the bipedal droids in the area with crates to destroy can hit very hard. My logs from my Assassin tank (in a mix of 186 and 180 set bonus gear) show that my damage taken per second in those trash pulls varied from 2,748 to 3,367 when I was holding agro on every single enemy and popping Overcharge Saber or Deflection to stay alive. In the boss fights in the same FP my DtPS varied from 570 to 1,100.

I'm not complaining, because those trash pulls are the only interesting part of the FP. But I have a feeling there is something wrong with this picture.

Edited by Gardimuer

My logs from my Assassin tank (in a mix of 186 and 180 set bonus gear) show that my damage taken per second in those trash pulls varied from 2,748 to 3,367 when I was holding agro on every single enemy and popping Overcharge Saber or Deflection to stay alive. In the boss fights in the same FP my DtPS varied from 570 to 1,100.

I'm not complaining, because those trash pulls are the only interesting part of the FP. But I have a feeling there is something wrong with this picture.

Every fp, even before 3.0 came out had trash pulls which are harder on the healer than the bosses, for example Hammer station, the pull on the corner as you enter the building at the start (you know the 1). Atheiss the droid pull before the first boss, mando has the pull before the first boss, and a couple pulls before that in the corridor with 4 or 5 dogs and a patrolling elite.

Every fp has trash that hit harder than bosses, and theres even some bosses that hit like whimps (ikoral, xander, basically anything with specific mechanics they balance it out by making the boss a noob).

I had an interesting Depths of Manaan HM run the other day. To start off, I was the weird one. I was on my merc with dps and heals selected in the group finder. It popped with me as heals so I respecced and zoned in, forgetting to swap to combat support cylinder.

We got to the first boss (let me just say that the fight is WAY too long) and as Im healing Im noticing Im having a hard time healing and having energy management issues. I realize after a few minutes in that Im in the wrong cylinder. By this time tho the tank had died twice so when 1 of the dps died I just /stuck it and apologized for not paying attention to my being in the wrong cylinder. We laughed it off and cleared the boss with no problem after that, aside from the fight taking forever. Honestly in any other 55 HM FP pre 3.0, you could probably heal thru the dmg being in the wrong cylinder, but the dmg in the new HM FP's is no joke.

We get to the 2nd boss and had some issues at first because of the adds and also making sure we all went the same way when the giant aoe bubbles part happened (for group heals). Other then me getting abused by the adds, the pull went fine :rolleyes: We get to the bonus boss, and I start to explain the mechanics (did it on the PTS) but the tank jumps in and stands near the top of the room, where the probes come out of lol, so I say in chat to come back to me and don't aggro, attack, or anything by the probes. We wipe anyways. Take 2: before we start I ask if they want an explanation. The 3 in the group were all from the same guild btw. 2 of them want an explanation and the tank says "I think we know how it works now". I say ok lol but start giving out details. We wipe again. Take 3: 1 of the dps starts to go and attack the probe and brings it to the group. We wipe..again. So we decide to move on. Fine with me lol.

We get to the last boss and its not really a hard fight. They ask if there's anything to know and I explain the cleanse mechanic with the kolto tanks and we start the pull. We failed 3 times due to the enrage timer. Also we wiped because the adds weren't getting picked up right away. The merc threat drop is crap. Also when the boss would kick the tank, he would go on the sorc and hit him for quite a bit each time. So the other dps, which was a jugg dps, would taunt when this happened and he was a alot easier to heal lol. But I guess the weird part on this was the tank told me I needed to dps more lol. He even said "i cant believe Im asking this" lol. Once we got the mechanics down and the dps jugg started to taunt after the tank was getting knocked back, it gave me a chance to dish out more dps in the beginning. Once the adds started coming out it was a little harder to dps, because the adds will stun you making kiting difficult. We FINALLY cleared it and overall it wasn't a bad run. We wiped a few more times then I would've liked, but that's to be expected with new content.

Edited by raidlegend

so i was grouped for rakata prime Hm, dpsing on my sentinel. the other red was a guardian, green was a sage and tank a shadow.

first boss ok, then we start the part with jedi patrollers: the guardian dps starts pulling them before the actual trash and i follow him.

at the last crate to be destroyed, the tank writes: you tank i dps. and pulls the 3 gold droids+some weak mobs.

well me and the guardian finish the patroller, then proceed on the standard pull, tank drops, a mob drops, healer drops and aswell the other dps. i finish off the last elite during guarded by the force.

at the next boss, the tank refuses to pull and starts jumping around.

guardian: you got dps gear?

shadow: no

guardian: then you have no use to us

me: vote kick tank

it goes through, guardian respecs, swaps gear, GF pops a dps and we finish the fp.

TL;DR; nice tank drama queen

Not so weird, on the contrary perhaps quite common, but really frustrating... when you explained all the mechanics of the FP, including one of the hardest FP bosses ever, only to find you are the only one saying " thank you for the group", while others exit the area then quit the group immediately. Was a smooth run. Only wiped on the 1st boss twice then oneshot everything. 2 were first timers and 1 didnt know how to deal with the bugged boss. Yeah it's hm tython. So not bad at all right?

well perhaps I shouldn't expect too much but...it's really frustrating :/

Not so weird, on the contrary perhaps quite common, but really frustrating... when you explained all the mechanics of the FP, including one of the hardest FP bosses ever, only to find you are the only one saying " thank you for the group", while others exit the area then quit the group immediately. Was a smooth run. Only wiped on the 1st boss twice then oneshot everything. 2 were first timers and 1 didnt know how to deal with the bugged boss. Yeah it's hm tython. So not bad at all right?

well perhaps I shouldn't expect too much but...it's really frustrating :/

The issue you have there is you are expecting level 60's to acknowledge that you were the reason they got through the fights. Most people at end game are too perfect (in their eyes) to require advice.

As an example I was on alderran with my lvl 60 sniper looking for MCR-99 droids and someone asks in chat for a last member to do a H4 with them (the 1 in the castle type thing, cant remember the name). I just happened to be passing just as they asked so I called for an invite, joined them and we did the mission rather easily.

At the end I ask "all good? you guys got any other heroics you want?"

The group leader kicked me, no thanks, nothing at all, just "hmm this person has helped us do something that is of no benefit to him, and now we don't need him any more we can throw him away". Ironically I saw him calling for a replacement 4th member in the H4 where you plant the evidence on the jedi corpses, I didn't bother asking for an invite to that 1.

Edited by BobFredJohn

My logs from my Assassin tank (in a mix of 186 and 180 set bonus gear) show that my damage taken per second in those trash pulls varied from 2,748 to 3,367 when I was holding agro on every single enemy and popping Overcharge Saber or Deflection to stay alive. In the boss fights in the same FP my DtPS varied from 570 to 1,100.

Every fp, even before 3.0 came out had trash pulls which are harder on the healer than the bosses, for example Hammer station, the pull on the corner as you enter the building at the start (you know the 1). Atheiss the droid pull before the first boss, mando has the pull before the first boss, and a couple pulls before that in the corridor with 4 or 5 dogs and a patrolling elite.

Every fp has trash that hit harder than bosses, and theres even some bosses that hit like whimps (ikoral, xander, basically anything with specific mechanics they balance it out by making the boss a noob).

From the latest (3.0.1) patch notes:

•Strong NPCs now deal less damage with basic attacks.

So looks like the issue of Silvers hitting like a train has been resolved :)

And also, I can finally cleanse boss mechanics:

•Restoration now properly removes physical effects when the Seer Sage possess the Mend Wounds skill.

3.0 was bugged horribly, but if BW keep fixing them quickly then hopefully, normal funny story service can be resumed! :D

No, it isn't.

Are you sure?

Blood Hunt

Gunslinger, Vanguard tank, 2x Sentinel

Two mandos fight, I keep aggro after 30 seconds. Both Sentinels constantly inspect my character, even during fighting. "Only 42k, must be undergeared!"

Edited by Halinalle

Are you sure?

Blood Hunt

Two mandos fight, I keep aggro after 30 seconds. Both Sentinels constantly inspect my character, even during fighting. "Only 42k, must be undergeared!"

I can solo the tacticals on any of my 3 level 60s in jut basic com gear really (even without companions) So I would not say that Slingers are particularly overpowered in PvE.

Are you sure?

Blood Hunt

You were quite clearly grouped with Derptinels --proof is in how they kept inspecting you during combat-- and the tank either didn't know how to, or simply didn't care to keep aggro, as it's a tactical.

Blood Hunt is pretty easy in Tac-mode (barring the occasional unluckily-timed knockback from the husband/wife boss team), even for a tactical, and 42k HP (depending on exact stats-budgetting of course) is actually overgearing the instance significantly. (The levelling 172/178 blues are more than enough for it if you know what you're about.)

Edited by midianlord

Three runs of KDY with my under-used reps just to keep them active (seems with 3.0 55's can now get into kdy with sub 55's).

First my merc healer, In the group is a go-go-go mara. He seems to like telling me my job as a healer is to keep him alive while he chain pulls, often starting pulls sub 30% but not getting any aggro so I end up having everything shoot me.

Second my sorc healer. Everything is smooth-ish, we have proper trinity too with a tank, 2 dps and healer. However at the elite in the second room the tank waits for both dps to heal up to full, instead dps 1, a mara, leaps in at 27% hp (on the mini-boss). They die fast, the tank taunts while the mara spams chat about how crap my healing is. I pop a bubble on the tank and use this to give me a chance to combat res, the mara gets back up with 20% hp and leaps straight into combat, no channel hatred at all. Soon after 2 strong droids patrol past and dps 2, another mara, jumps on them, they then realise they have aggro and start running round trying to los them. In doing so they run to the lift, which has another 2 strongs. As such we have a mara sub 20%, a second mara being shot by 4 strongs, c-res on CD.

As if thats not bad enough the tank doesn't bother trying to get aggro on the 4 strongs and the mara that pulled them tunnel-visioned 1 so I get 3 strongs on me, I stand my ground and heal all 4 of us but cant keep up, dps 2 dies and the strong that was on them turns to me. The champ does a knockback taking dps 1 down to 3% hp so they run away and refuse to join the fight. We now have my healer being shot by 4 strongs and the tank tunnel-visioning the champ while a dps lies dead and the other stands and watches. We manage to get through it

At the end the boss is the grenade guy. I ask if people know it, the tank says yes, neither mara says anything and dps 1 pulls before the tank. First set of grenades its apparent both dps don't know the fight as they don't cleanse grenades. When adds appear both dps ignore them, the tank has to hold aggro on the boss so can't afford to stop hitting it, resulting in my healer doing the adds by itself.

Run with my jugg tank. In the group is a sniper who plays like a mara, chain pulling ahead of the tank. I write in chat "you pull you tank". I get no response and the sniper carries on pull first so I decide to stop tanking, I switch to sii-cho, stop taunting and stop using an aggro rotation. Pretty much every single pull up to the final boss the sniper is "tanking" (he never uses shield probe, evasion, ballistic shield or any DCD at all). Final boss is the grenade guy again, me and the sniper get there first, the other 2 take ages, not sure why. I ask if people know it, while the sniper decides not to wait for the full group and pulls with just us 2. As he pulled I again decide not to bother trying to take aggro. Grenades come, the sniper ignores them, carries on being shot by the boss, never using DCD's or koltos, he doesn't even survive until the first group of adds.

Once he dies I start soloing it while the sniper is too busy flaming me in chat to revive and the other 2 dps still aren't coming to join. I solo it up until the 3rd set of adds, at which point the 2 dps finally get there and we complete with the sniper still dead and still moaning about how he had aggro on every pull and I am a useless tank. After the fight I decide to go on a rant at the idiotic sniper:

"its not my fault you can't read, I wrote that if you pull you will tank. Its also not my fault you are absoutely pathetic at tanking and don't know anything at all about DCD's. In future, seeing as your completely pathetic at this game, let the tank do his job so he can carry you through." He manages to get a "*********** noob" reply in before I stick him on ignore and exit

Edited by BobFredJohn

Second my sorc healer. Everything is smooth-ish, we have proper trinity too with a tank, 2 dps and healer. However at the elite in the second room the tank waits for both dps to heal up to full, instead dps 1, a mara, leaps in at 27% hp (on the mini-boss). They die fast, the tank taunts while the mara spams chat about how crap my healing is. I pop a bubble on the tank and use this to give me a chance to combat res, the mara gets back up with 20% hp and leaps straight into combat, no channel hatred at all. Soon after 2 strong droids patrol past and dps 2, another mara, jumps on them, they then realise they have aggro and start running round trying to los them. In doing so they run to the lift, which has another 2 strongs. As such we have a mara sub 20%, a second mara being shot by 4 strongs, c-res on CD.

As if thats not bad enough the tank doesn't bother trying to get aggro on the 4 strongs and the mara that pulled them tunnel-visioned 1 so I get 3 strongs on me, I stand my ground and heal all 4 of us but cant keep up, dps 2 dies and the strong that was on them turns to me. The champ does a knockback taking dps 1 down to 3% hp so they run away and refuse to join the fight. We now have my healer being shot by 4 strongs and the tank tunnel-visioning the champ while a dps lies dead and the other stands and watches. We manage to get through it

Sounds like you've got some LEADERSHIP there. Double the lightsabers, double the leadership! And to quote Scott Adams, "don't step in the leadership".

KDY continues to produce high-level bads.