Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Ok Devs, you tell us. What would make a server transfer function difficult?

shooterguy

I just don't see how the server queue problem gets fixed without a server transfer option. If that is too hard or unworkable for some reason, I'm willing to listen to why. Every MMO goes through server transfers, so why not do them now to free up the queues instead of letting people get more and more pissed off.

It's just data, so what's the hold up?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

They've already said they're working on a character transfer system.

There's no ETA on it though.

Also, as a computer programmer, the statement "It's just data" makes me want to choke you. :p

Edited by Jaku

It's the first day after launch, theres always gonna be huge ques, it is much better than the ques on WOW at launch believe me. They are also raising the population cap gradually on servers so they won't get overpopulated at once and to spread out even numbers.

In my opinion, BIOWARE should make it so when a server says "full" people shouldn't be able to join the server

Edited by Middles

In my opinion, BIOWARE should make it so when a server says "full" people shouldn't be able to join the server

But they are doing that. It's called a queue and it prevents you to log in until you have reached your place in said queue.

And there is really no other way, because the second one logs out, and the server wouldn't be unlocked, no one could enter. Thus, whenever someone logs out, it's not full, but there's one place open, which is immediately taken. and BAM server full again.

OK, enough common sense.

Yeah..let me in, then lock the server, who cares about the rest, as long as I can join the server, everything is fine.

:rolleyes:

Would you like that "Just data" in the correct order or will any order do? because if any order will do it could be done right now!

It's a complex procedure, but I for one would be happy to transfer off a very over subscribed server.

I just don't see how the server queue problem gets fixed without a server transfer option. If that is too hard or unworkable for some reason, I'm willing to listen to why. Every MMO goes through server transfers, so why not do them now to free up the queues instead of letting people get more and more pissed off.

Read the stickies, it's being worked on. They don't have to give us every single detail regarding where they are with it. They've said no ETA right now, so we just have to be patient. As soon as they have more details they will tell us.

"It's just data"... Wow.

All sorts of potential storage, QoS, continuity, and integrity issues that could be at play.

They should have some idea though.

Bioware have been running WAR for 1.5 years and have much of Mythic in their SWTOR team.

It's not like they've never done it before.

Just lock the FULL servers for new people who don't have any characters on that server until things settle down. How hard can it be? Those who dont have any character on the FULL realms yet shouldnt be able to make a char there really.

"if server status=full

set Create New Character=off"

Suck at c++ but something like that :D

Just lock the FULL servers for new people who don't have any characters on that server until things settle down. How hard can it be? Those who dont have any character on the FULL realms yet shouldnt be able to make a char there really.

"if server status=full

set Create New Character=off"

Suck at c++ but something like that :D

Now tell me how you handle the server no longer being full due to the characters not being played. And then how you handle it should a whole bunch of people then come back at once.

Also, as a computer programmer, the statement "It's just data" makes me want to choke you. :p

LOL! I'm a US Navy "computer geek" if you will and I'm laughing because I actually simultaneously understand why that pisses you off and don't understand what makes it so hard. :) An Aegis destroyer's combat system is one enormous UNIX based LAN, and that data flows smoothly enough to track a supersonic sea skimming cruise missile with a phased array radar with thousands of individual radiating elements. The slow and stupid part is always the people sitting at the consoles :D

They've already said they're working on a character transfer system.

There's no ETA on it though.

In a well written system it is JUST that, a series of organised records set out by a pre defined class, each representing a single player character, his stats and inventory.

Transferring records between databases is nothing more than a simple script away, their problem it is clear, is how to manage that across separate server blades, However, frankly, that too should have been taken care of during design, its basic and intrinsic database management. I have no idea what sort of programmer you claim to be, but you are clearly not very capable.

The structure, organisation and management of records within a database is taught to school children now, as its fundamental to data management, maintaining a healthy database and ensuring data security.

Just lock the FULL servers for new people who don't have any characters on that server until things settle down. How hard can it be?

Compared to other endeavors prolly not too hard, BUT....

It has been said that they don't want to restrict people on their server choice. They can try to direct ppl to other servers which they are doing with queues.

How would you like it, if you didn't have EGA, you just got the product code and your friends are already on Server X to have the game tell you "Sorry, this server is full, you cannot create a new character here. Please try again when the population has decreased or find a non-full Server. Thank you for your cooperation."

This way, the people at least have the option to wait. In your scenatio they don't.

So, although your intentions were good, want to rethink your idea?

LOL! I'm a US Navy "computer geek" if you will and I'm laughing because I actually simultaneously understand why that pisses you off and don't understand what makes it so hard. :) An Aegis destroyer's combat system is one enormous UNIX based LAN, and that data flows smoothly enough to track a supersonic sea skimming cruise missile with a phased array radar with thousands of individual radiating elements. The slow and stupid part is always the people sitting at the consoles :D

And that system was created over night right? :)

And the computational power to land on the moon existed when, again?

The apparent complexity of a task doesn't correlate to the difficulty of designing, testing, and implementing a solution to handle it. Missiles, for example, have hilariously simple AI overall. They basically just say "There he is! Time to go UP!". Which is great, because you expect 3d collisions in open areas to be extremely difficult to calculate.

The structure, organisation and management of records within a database is taught to school children now, as its fundamental to data management, maintaining a healthy database and ensuring data security.

Then you must have heard about data integrity and duplicates?

All you need is a player with the same name as you. And maybe that isn't even the hardest part. Just add a -1 to the name, I'm sure, the transferring player will be very happy. ;)

But then take into account the 100.000's of other data within a database for one server alone. Have fun.

Migrating databases is not as easy as you make it out to be. This isn't just some little CD Home database.

A character transfer service could be as easy as simply changing the serverid in the database to make the character appear on a different server or might involve long strings of code that need to transfer all the character data to a different database.

Everything depends on the design, planning and the infrastructure of the datacenter/database the servers are using.

Give them time the queues will relax in a while.