The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Guardian/Jug=Worst Low Level PVP Class

Ninja_Amnesty

I made a guardian with the sole purpose of pvping with it. A Jug was my first toon to 50 way back in the day and I wanted to start over because I don't really remember how to play the class well.

I am level 15 now with current mods in all my gear. I don't make much of an impact on any fight and all the abilities I have are sub par. It looks like I don't get any of the useful abilities for about another ten levels.

I feel like I would have more use being shot out of a space cannon into a sarlacc pit full of rancors.

I feel more useless than an exploration xp boost.

that's lowbies for you, every one is missing skills. sub 30 were always easy kills on lowbies 10-49 brackets (not counting snipers/slingers on flat ground with no breaking los)get to L 39/46 and try again (I guess)

be glad now we have brackets 10-29,30-54,55 as other wise you would be meeting L 50+ on your way.

it's even worse if you'r mara/sentinel, as when people see 2 sabers, they tend to focus you.

Edited by Atramar

that's lowbies for you, every one is missing skills. sub 30 were always easy kills on lowbies 10-49 brackets (not counting snipers/slingers on flat ground with no breaking los)get to L 39/46 and try again (I guess)

be glad now we have brackets 10-29,30-54,55 as other wise you would be meeting L 50+ on your way.

I'm just comparing it to other classes of the same level. It seems that guard/jug have the worst survivability and or playability. Others have stealth or heals or enough spike damage to make a difference. The only high damage or useful move I have only works if i'm not stunned or knocked back, requires melee range, and isn't spammable. The mobility is also very bad.

I'm not saying there needs to be some sort of a change or attempt at balance but my god it's just awful to play at these levels.

Since you played the class already, you should know this. The warrior class doesn't get a variety of abilities until later on. While other classes fill up their toolbars faster, the warrior classes gain levels on base abilities. Like every other class, you don't really start coming into your own and gain a class identity until about level 30.

well, if it will make you feel any better, operatives suck hard aswell.

hardly any attacking abilities, only good thing is stealth, atleast Jugg/guardian can carry the ball and leap.

would suggest go tanking spec in dps gear, worked for me in lowbies on my guardian when I started.

also, read my edit from before, be glad you'r not mara/sent :eek:

Edited by Atramar

well, if it will make you feel any better, operatives suck hard aswell.

hardly any attacking abilities, only good thing is stealth, atleast Jugg/guardian can carry the ball and leap.

would suggest go tanking spec in dps gear, worked for me in lowbies on my guardian when I started.

also, read my edit from before, be glad you'r not mara/sent :eek:

ops get heals, flashbang, and that stun shiv move so I don't feel as bad for them.

marauders are also not fun to play lowbie pvp but I had more fun wit it than what I am experiencing with my guardian right now.

What tree did you go up? Vig tree in the early levels is probably the most forgiving as none of the abilities in the first two tiers don't require a stance. So you could swap between Shii-Cho and Soresu depending on the situation (like solo guarding the off node). Defense tree is good early as well, but taking three in single saber mastery first is a wise idea. You'll also get your single target taunt next level (16) and interrupt soon after, those will help a lot.

I've been working on a new Guardian myself. When I get into a WZ I check the other 7, if there are no tank stances, but a couple of healers, I'll change out to a shield and Soresu and stick near them. Don't be the first to jump in, fight around the fringes and near your healers. They always attract opponents so the fights usually will come to you anyway. Stats don't tell the whole story but, for an idea, I usually see around 100-200k dps with 50-100k protection so far in the low bracket.

Get your opponent sundered, use Blade Storm every CD, spam slash as filler and try to time your MS's well. Use sweep if you get a group bunched, though I usually save that to stop multiple cappers.

Edited by Ridickilis

Yeah you're pretty much going to be a free kill until at least 30. 10-29 is pretty much dominated by Shadow/Sin, Sniper/GS, and maybe Commando/Merc to an extent. Healing Op/Scoundrel is crazy in every bracket.

The main issue imo is that everything that defines each Jugg/Guard spec is wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy up the skill tree. I tend to spread all my points around in the 3 trees like this until 20:

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#500MzZcZbM.3

My goal is usually focus/rage efficiency and making my force abilities hit harder. Once I hit 20 I just go rage/focus.

Edited by Pheros

To be honest I've jumped right into pvp on every toon I have right at level ten and never felt nonviable. Sure, until you get some of the higher level abilities it takes some work not to get smoked in a few GCD's, but it can be done. I've seen 11-12 level healers (any of the three) spamming that one heal for 300k+ while doing a good job of kiting.

I have been through that phase on my Juggernaut recently. Shien is the best tree early on. You might is well play dps in soresu form for extra protection and guarding healers. No matter how you put you will have difficult time breaking through 250 dps (in 1.7 I have not played lowbie Jug in 2.0 yet).

I must complain about pvp on lowbie even if I can reach lvl 30 within the next 10 hours. Oh PVP is so hard, I don't have abilities. I can get more abilities if I leveled my toon instead of spending the time whining on the forum but I just love whining soooooooooooo much.

I actually enjoy low level pvp (for the most part). Not as many stuns roots and you live longer. It's just an overall different experience and better in some ways. Just because some of you don't care about lowbie pvp doesn't mean that I want to hurry and level past it always. Edited by Ninja_Amnesty