The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Space missions: almost completely worthless now

Syphenus

Oh yeah, people would totally run OPs and FPs multiple times if there was no reward at all. No XP, no credits, no loot, but... they totally would. I can see it. Absolutely.

Sarcasm aside.... It is not for either you nor I to dictate what is/is-not "fun" for another player. ;) That's a pesonal decision. Personally, I don't care what rewards you give in space mission.. I won't play them. But that's me. Other players may play them simply because it's fun to blow crap up in space. And then we have the carrot adicts. MMOs have a diverse player base.

Bioware chose the nuclear option on the herioc space missions. It's not like we can change that. You either adapt to changes in content in and MMO, or you don't. If a space mission is not "fun" without the carrot... go follow the moving carrot. There are lots of them in this game.

Bioware chose the nuclear option on the herioc space missions.

Do you actually have any proper evidence for this? Something from a dev, an interview with a Bioware employee, perhaps? As a scientist and engineer, I do like to make my judgements based on evidence based thinking.

Bots.... Bots are bad. If you cannot grasp that people have been exploiting the on-rails play with space missions using bots... then there is not point in discussing this further with you.

Bots are bad, I agree. Equally I can grasp the concept that people exploiting space missions with bots would be bad.

Present some proper evidence for this.

tl;dr - Put up or shut up.

Oh yeah, people would totally run OPs and FPs multiple times if there was no reward at all. No XP, no credits, no loot, but... they totally would. I can see it. Absolutely.

(Please don't point out now that space mission still do have a reward - your point appears to be that people would do things because they are fun even without a [sufficient] reward, or at least you quoted someone who stated that.)

Anyone will do anything for leisure if they find it sufficiently enjoyable. If rewards in a computer game are required for you to enjoy a particular activity, then that's part of your fun. Putting your character in a nice-looking outfit has no reward beyond the activity itself. It does not give your character more XP or commendations. If I enjoyed space combat for its own sake (as Andryah said, an arcade mini-game within a larger MMO). I would do it. If the OP "loved" space combat, he'd do it. What he "loved" were the rewards and now he's complaining because he feels the rewards have been nerfed. That's fine, but he can at least own up to the fact that he loved the rewards, not the activity.

There are activities in-game that people do simply for their own sake, whether you're willing or able to recognize that fact or not.

I think the title should be are still completely worthless.

I said as much in my first reply. I have never liked them. So, amazingly enough, I've never done them (other than to try them a couple of times to learn that I don't like them). But I don't care because having them in the game for others has no affect on me whatsoever.

Sarcasm aside.... It is not for either you nor I to dictate what is/is-not "fun" for another player. ;) That's a pesonal decision. Personally, I don't care what rewards you give in space mission.. I won't play them. But that's me. Other players may play them simply because it's fun to blow crap up in space. And then we have the carrot adicts. MMOs have a diverse player base.

Bioware chose the nuclear option on the herioc space missions. It's not like we can change that. You either adapt to changes in content in and MMO, or you don't. If a space mission is not "fun" without the carrot... go follow the moving carrot. There are lots of them in this game.

True. I don't doubt there are people that would run FPs (or space missions for that matter) just for fun. I was talking about what I assume is the majority, but obviously I have no hard data on that sort of thing and I am all for people doing what they enjoy.

Well, no, we can't change that, but we can give feedback and hope they might start seeing the issue from our perspective. I know you are an advocate of adaptation when it comes to changes in this game, which is fine, but I only partially agree. I won't start spouting nonsense about my rights as a 'paying customer' or somesuch, but I do think we should speak up if we dislike something, especially when there's no reason given.

Next step in BioWare's attempt to kill space is implementing ship damage and repair cost, now we could definitely tell that they do not want us to run these space heroics.

It could be worse... they could just not offer repairs.. and when your ship takes enough damage to crap out... you'll be taking interplanetary shuttles... 'cause you destroyed your ship. :p

Next step in BioWare's attempt to kill space is implementing ship damage and repair cost, now we could definitely tell that they do not want us to run these space heroics.

I want space combat to be like it is in Treasure Planet.

Arrrr.

Edited by branmakmuffin