Slicing?

ArchonGamer

They need to back off the slicing nerf they implemented shortly after launch. True, it was out of hand, but the oversteer was just as much out of hand. Sadly, classic oversteer in MMO's you can count on like death and taxes.

they replied to that also. they wanted to make sure the calculation was correct so no error they would make would not have lingering implications on the economy.

ROFLMAO, what a *********** joke. Translation: We have no *********** idea what we are doing or how to fix something that should be simple.

3200 for a 1400 return is a bit extreme, but I don't think that slicing missions should necessarily be paying out very much. As a gathering skill, my understanding is that it's supposed work best when you use it to gather--in which case it is profitable because you're spending nothing and getting credits in return. If I recall correctly, the nerf was designed to reflect this and it seems to be working more or less as intended, though I agree that 1800 to increase your skill level by a couple points is pretty steep. Again, I could be wrong, but I think the missions are supposed to average out to a slight loss in credits--which I see as the cost of the crafting materials/schematics and advancing your crew skill in a way that doesn't require any effort--while players are rewarded for actually gathering with a profit credit-wise and free advancement of their crew skill. Seems fair enough to me,

3200 for a 1400 return is a bit extreme, but I don't think that slicing missions should necessarily be paying out very much. As a gathering skill, my understanding is that it's supposed work best when you use it to gather--in which case it is profitable because you're spending nothing and getting credits in return. If I recall correctly, the nerf was designed to reflect this and it seems to be working more or less as intended, though I agree that 1800 to increase your skill level by a couple points is pretty steep. Again, I could be wrong, but I think the missions are supposed to average out to a slight loss in credits--which I see as the cost of the crafting materials/schematics and advancing your crew skill in a way that doesn't require any effort--while players are rewarded for actually gathering with a profit credit-wise and free advancement of their crew skill. Seems fair enough to me,

I run 4 rank 450 every 36 minutes and a lot of times the payout is a huge loss. The only thing that makes it worth it is getting a good mission return like Underworld or Treasure Hunting that I can GTN sell. I'd be out hundreds of thousands of credits just based on credit boxes the way it currently is.

I run 4 rank 450 every 36 minutes and a lot of times the payout is a huge loss. The only thing that makes it worth it is getting a good mission return like Underworld or Treasure Hunting that I can GTN sell. I'd be out hundreds of thousands of credits just based on credit boxes the way it currently is.
Um, right. I don't understand how that contradicts or is at all inconsistent with what I said in the post you quoted. (Or maybe it's not supposed to be? Sorry if I misunderstood your intent.) You're running missions with a gathering skill and EVEN THEN it's still "worth it." Again, seems fair to me.

Nothing gathering-wise sells for quite as much as slicing crits. I don't get what the problem is. Money boxes are only really good for crits to get schematics that you can use or sell. Unlike the other gathering mission you guranteed to at least recoup some of your money. Most of the others you pay as much and just get raw material that you either need to make stuff or try your luck with the GTN and hope it's not flooded with the stuff. If lockboxes suck that much just run tech parts.

The point of sending out companions isn't to get credit boxes when you send them on those missions, but instead to get crafting missions. Will you lose some money trying to get them? In a sense, yes. That is the credit return on the boxes themselves is a loss, but it's not like you are losing 3k per mission. I was losing on average about 800 credits for each mission that didn't return a crafting mission. When I did get a mission, I was able to sell the mission for about 50k and I am getting one in roughly one in every 5 missions.

Also, you can get augment crafting mats. You can make a bit of money each time you send out a companion if you sell the blue mats, but the real money is in the purple mats you make.

All in all since the xpac release, by sending out companions on two different characters a few times a day I have made about 2 mil creds by selling crafting missions and purple augment mats. So to say you only lose tons of money from slicing missions is total false.

The main benefit of slicing is all those lockboxs, security lockers, computer mainframes lying about in the game, without even trying I gathered 3000+ credits on Coruscant during one mission, yes you loose credits during lockbox gathering missions, but between those lockboxes lying around the planets and the crafting materials slicing is still very profitable.

The main benefit of slicing is all those lockboxs, security lockers, computer mainframes lying about in the game, without even trying I gathered 3000+ credits on Coruscant during one mission,

But... .that takes work.

People just want to log in and get credits.

The main benefit of slicing is all those lockboxs, security lockers, computer mainframes lying about in the game, without even trying I gathered 3000+ credits on Coruscant during one mission, yes you loose credits during lockbox gathering missions, but between those lockboxes lying around the planets and the crafting materials slicing is still very profitable.

This is untrue. The benefit of slicing is the same as the benefit of any gathering skill. Slicing shouldn't be singled out as special or unique. It's just another gathering skill.

With Bioanalysis, for example, I can run missions that return results that are WILDLY profitable when I sell them on GTN or use them to make stuff to sell on GTN. "Wildly" as in factor of 5x or more. This is with stuff I get from missions; not from gathering in the field.

Slicers aren't asking for the missions that cost 3,000 credits to return 15-20,000 credits in the lockboxes. But we sure would like it if those missions, on average, returned something more than they cost to run!

Edited by DarthTHC

This is untrue. The benefit of slicing is the same as the benefit of any gathering skill. Slicing shouldn't be singled out as special or unique. It's just another gathering skill.

With Bioanalysis, for example, I can run missions that return results that are WILDLY profitable when I sell them on GTN or use them to make stuff to sell on GTN. "Wildly" as in factor of 5x or more. This is with stuff I get from missions; not from gathering in the field.

Slicers aren't asking for the missions that cost 3,000 credits to return 15-20,000 credits in the lockboxes. But we sure would like it if those missions, on average, returned something more than they cost to run!

Almost every box I get returns within 200 creds of the mission cost. Quite often, it's +200 and not -200.

They've already said they are working on it. They have to find a sweet spot, where sometimes you'll get a really nice reward for them, other times you'll lose -- but average won't be enough to negatively affect the economy. I, personally, would rather have them take more time and fix it right.

That said -- I only use slicing for the tech parts I need on other chars, now. But lockboxes were a good way for me to level slicing up quickly without 'useless' mats.

Almost every box I get returns within 200 creds of the mission cost. Quite often, it's +200 and not -200.

They've already said they are working on it. They have to find a sweet spot, where sometimes you'll get a really nice reward for them, other times you'll lose -- but average won't be enough to negatively affect the economy. I, personally, would rather have them take more time and fix it right.

That said -- I only use slicing for the tech parts I need on other chars, now. But lockboxes were a good way for me to level slicing up quickly without 'useless' mats.

Oh, I'm not in a hurry. I'd like them to put in reasonable effort to get it done sooner rather than later but most importantly like you said, fix it right.

My response was mainly to those who think Slicing should be treated vastly differently than any other gathering skill. I find the "Kill all slicers!" mentality distasteful when the lockbox rewards have always been pathetic from a % profit perspective when compared with other gathering skills, and they always will be.

ROFLMAO, what a *********** joke. Translation: We have no *********** idea what we are doing or how to fix something that should be simple.

Yup. Seems to be how they run everything these days. Management at Bioware needs to be more demanding of quality work, or possibly replaced. The game is a complete mess atm and someone needs to be held accountable.

So we should be getting a monetary return on all gathering missions? I don't see why slcing needs to have a net return, all of the other gathering skills do not get any return, they get an item to craft with or sell at best.

I run slicing on all my characters. I don't care what I lose on credit boxes, because even if I'd lose 2k per one, the crits happen often enough to give me mission discovery to sell for like 50k at least each 10th try. With this pesimistic maths I would still be 30k in profit.

And in practice, I am in huge profit!

Lockbox missions are just for training and mission discoveries. If you are trying to make profit by clicking th credit boxes, then you will not.

So we should be getting a monetary return on all gathering missions? I don't see why slcing needs to have a net return, all of the other gathering skills do not get any return, they get an item to craft with or sell at best.

Right. And in return for that extra work of posting on GTN or making something with them to post to GTN, they net a 5x+ return on investment.

Slicing isn't asking for a 5x return (which would be 15-20k on lockbox missions). That would be a bit silly since there's no work involved after the lockbox mission except opening the lockbox.

However, Slicing is asking for a non-negative return. That's it. 10% would be plenty.

Lockbox missions are just for training and mission discoveries. If you are trying to make profit by clicking th credit boxes, then you will not.

Why not? We did before 2.0.

Edited by DarthTHC

You really believe that crafting makes a 5x profit? Sorry it doesn't, most of the items that I make wind up being re'd for the blues and purples. Maybe at some point in the future once I have my adrenals, medpacks and stims, plus ears and other items made, maybe I can sell stuff. Crafting gathering missions should not be a profit center, i've broke more characters doing crafting than anything else, and that does not include slicing. You don't like the loss you get from slicing, then do something else.

You really believe that crafting makes a 5x profit? Sorry it doesn't, most of the items that I make wind up being re'd for the blues and purples. Maybe at some point in the future once I have my adrenals, medpacks and stims, plus ears and other items made, maybe I can sell stuff. Crafting gathering missions should not be a profit center, i've broke more characters doing crafting than anything else, and that does not include slicing. You don't like the loss you get from slicing, then do something else.

That was kind of a rambling rant, there. There is nothing wrong with expecting a 10% return on lockbox missions. It wouldn't be game breaking, and that's all the OP is really asking for.