The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Focus or Vigilance?

JZeuss

I used to play focus back in the day but i've only recently come back to my Guardian and im not sure which way to spec. I know focus is still viable because of the amount of AOE but has vigilance been improved enough to make it more viable in PVP and/or PVE?

Any help is appreciated.

Love focus on the sentinel, can't stand it on the guardian (PVP). Vigilance is amazing on the other hand. I am beating myself up for not having given it a go back over a year ago when I started the game. Levelling and pvping as defense had killed the guardian for me.

I ran Vigi last night for the first time ever and omg its awesome! Single target stuff though (raids)

My vigilance guardian puts out 6000 - 7000 DPS in AOE situations. i have not been able to get a straght answer from a focus player yet about how much aoe DPS they actually have. (raiding that is)

I can do much better single target sustained and burst DPS as Vigilance than Focus. Vigilance can also survive a lot longer than Focus can. Focus is still useful as an AOE pressure spec, but doesn't compete with Vigilance in terms of single target damage.

My vigilance guardian puts out 6000 - 7000 DPS in AOE situations. i have not been able to get a straght answer from a focus player yet about how much aoe DPS they actually have. (raiding that is)

Focus has better aoe burst due to 9k lolsmash crits while vig should pull ahead in sustained aoe (cheaper cyclone slash and free smash, while focus needs to charge up their smashes with force exaustion/leap).

That said i find Focus to be more rewarding on almost all encounters in this game, even pure singletarget fights.

Can't say much about PvP, don't like it in this game.

It really depends on what you're doing and how often you do it:

Dailies: Focus. 1 shot smashing all the mobs for or inbetween the objectives (especially on Makeb) makes the missions more convenient and less mind-numbing.

PvP: Focus. Even after the nerf, Focus' renowned utility and threat still exists. If anything, there's more utlity.

HM flashpoints: (varies). Focus is amazing for Mandalorian Raiders and Athiss. The charged Force sweep clears out grouped up boss adds with one attack. And having burst AOE against the packs of silver hounds in Mando Raiders is very helpful. However, Vigilance is almost a must for some of the new bonus bosses. The cooldown resets for Master Strike are mouth watering and the DoTs keep you in the fight with all the anti-melee dps segments.

Raiding: Vigilance will keep you alive longer and the sustained DPS will look pretty on those third-party DPS logs at the end of the fights.

Old Content: Focus

I think Darth had a pretty good breakdown up there. If you want to stick with one, then pick based on playstyle.

Focus = AoE burst with moderate inbetweens, and decent mobility

Vigilance = Single target damage (lots of bleeds) with moderate AoE, and higher mitigations.

AoE damage is a mixed ball of wax. some think its critical, others don't care. Personally, I run Vigilance ( Ihave 3 jugg's and run the mirror tree on that side too). because I like the flow and how the animations work out, it's just funner for me.

But IMO there isn't any specific reason that would make one so much better then the other that you have to choose based on that. so go with what you like

Like the guy two posts above said. That's why I love field respec. And gear is pretty much the same, too.

PvP, dailies, flashpoints - Focus

Operation Bosses - Vigilance.

Vigilance is much harder than focus and for most players Focus will yield better results even on ops bosses.