[Guide] Sage DPS (TK + Balance) 2.0+

Nibbon

Anyone else recommend it? If so sure i'll put it in when i get the time :D Have sentinel/operative (not mine) pending at the moment due to the holidays and with starfighter coming out... >_<

Nibbon's heal theory crafting always included it as a guide at the bottom, and Nibbon's has been consistently the most popular in the official forums as far as I know. His quote at the bottom is:

For more information on your spells, specs, and everything except gearing (I disagree with his choice of gearing, per my current theorycrafting), I do agree with everything else on this thread: http://mmo-mechanics.com/swtor/forums/thread-1199.html

Excited to see what you put up on the site for sentinel/operative guides, outside of watchmen, those two classes lack much as far as guides go.

Edited by campbellsoup

• Replies 490
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone else recommend it? If so sure i'll put it in when i get the time :D Have sentinel/operative (not mine) pending at the moment due to the holidays and with starfighter coming out... >_<

After todays patch, DF FR relic has double proc while DF SA has not!

Nibbon's heal theory crafting always included it as a guide at the bottom, and Nibbon's has been consistently the most popular in the official forums as far as I know. His quote at the bottom is:

Excited to see what you put up on the site for sentinel/operative guides, outside of watchmen, those two classes lack much as far as guides go.

I don't play those classes (that much) so I won't make a guide for them. Like the other guides in the website (they are probably going to be taken from popular threads/theorycrafters from the class forums).

Anyway i guess i'll the sage/soc healing one on my to-do list like you guys suggested! But after I contact and get a go-signal from the original author first.

My first time raiding HM DF / DP tonight as sage!

Question on TK priorities,

When multiple targets are present where you can sustain Weaken Mind, is it a DPS increase to keep your DoT up on more than one target while keeping your rotation on your primary target or is it more DPS to not apply WM on those targets and just spam Disturbance to increase your chance of proccing TK Wave as soon as it comes off its ICD?

Iirc i remember seeing some TK/Lightning players keep Aff/WM up on several targets and they did good raid DPS. The parse i saw was from a Lightning Sorc in SnV specifically Cartel Warlords, and his torparse log showed very high total dmg done by Affliction.

Also @Sindariel or anyone,

i remember a Balance rotation list instead of a priority list. What was that again? I'm gona try Balance for bestia and going to use a priority list which means... lots of debuff bar watching. does anyone have a good "set" rotation that he/she uses (rotation = better QoL than priority, buff/debuff bar watching).

edit: what i used for balance , just a brief summary

precast Crushing Mind -> FiB -> SF -> WM -> spam TK (1 disturbance) ->spam TK, wait for Mind Crush then repeat...

>_< FP on TK wave and FiB, MAlac on CD.

Edited by paowee

My first time raiding HM DF / DP tonight as sage!

[/Quote]

:D

Question on TK priorities,

When multiple targets are present where you can sustain Weaken Mind, is it a DPS increase to keep your DoT up on more than one target while keeping your rotation on your primary target or is it more DPS to not apply WM on those targets and just spam Disturbance to increase your chance of proccing TK Wave as soon as it comes off its ICD?

If they are all spread out I would prioritize Weaken Mind on all of them over Disturbance and TK Wave, if you can be fairly sure targets won't die before it ticks for 18 seconds.

If TK Wave would hit 2 of them, I'd only use Weaken Mind instead of Disturbances that don't proc TK Wave.

If 3+ are stacked up then spam Disturbance until TK Wave proc and then Forcequake until next proc (they don't share the ICD).

At 5+ I think Force Wave should become decent too, as long as the stuff you're pushing is immune to knockbacks (unless you enjoy the screams from your fellow dps :p)

I mostly play balance, although I'm kinda messing about with TK again lately, so I don't have that much experience to back this up ^^.

Iirc i remember seeing some TK/Lightning players keep Aff/WM up on several targets and they did good raid DPS. The parse i saw was from a Lightning Sorc in SnV specifically Cartel Warlords, and his torparse log showed very high total dmg done by Affliction.

Gotta say though, I'm not a fan of doing that on Cartel Warlords of all bossfights. Since they all heal up, multidotting and aoe is just useless number padding :p

edit: what i used for balance , just a brief summary

precast Crushing Mind -> FiB -> SF -> WM -> spam TK (1 disturbance) ->spam TK, wait for Mind Crush then repeat...

>_< FP on TK wave and FiB, MAlac on CD.

It's a detail, but I prefer to do

precast Mind Crush -> SF -> WM -> FiB -> ...

Reason for this is that you create a gap between MC and FiB so less stacks of Force Suppression get eaten by low dmg dots.

Have fun on next raid!

I finally finsihed adding healing for Sages and Sorcs. I read Orderken's write-up and it is very detailed and covered almost anything you can think off about sage / sorc heals. I added some touch of my own particularly on Rescue and Extricate, and the section towards the end of the guide. Let me know what you think!

http://swtorboard.org/2013/12/12/corruption-healing-sorcerer/

http://swtorboard.org/2013/12/11/seer-sage/

As this was originally a Sage DPS thread, I'm looking for advice as to BiS gear for a TK Sage. The majority of posts lately seem to be hijacked for healing however =/

Any idea where I can find this information out? I'm also looking to see what's BiS relic-wise.

THANKS!

As this was originally a Sage DPS thread, I'm looking for advice as to BiS gear for a TK Sage. The majority of posts lately seem to be hijacked for healing however =/

Any idea where I can find this information out? I'm also looking to see what's BiS relic-wise.

THANKS!

Afaik, latest from Nibbon

Telekinetics: 4 surge, 2 alacrity, 4 accuracy, 61 crit (either 1 mod or 1 enhancement with Crit)

Sage: 4 surge, 2 alacrity, 4 accuracy, 185 crit

Augments: Willpower

http://www.swtor.com/community/showpost.php?p=6737700&postcount=381

http://swtorboard.org/2013/10/16/telekinetic-sage/

Telekinetics: 4 surge, 2 alacrity, 4 accuracy, 61 crit (either 1 mod or 1 enhancement with Crit)

Sage: 4 surge, 2 alacrity, 4 accuracy, 185 crit

Augments: Willpower

the word "sage" in the second line irritates me, maybe "balance" is what he meant. *x-files music*

yeah one of my planned questions was something along the lines of why would i ever bring in a sage dps over a slinger.

I may be wrong in this, but altho sage/sorcs might not be the highest dpsers, there is one area they shine in and are incredibly useful for. BUrst phases.

now certain classes can put out some incredible bursts, in asense more than sages, but that's short lived and better suited for pvp - cos pvE encounter have burn phases that last a while which very much favour mental alacrity/polarity **** abilities quite well. i don't think any class can match the sage on a burst phase, and I think this add good enough value to certainly have a skilled one available in a fight.

Because Sage can heal to full maybe...

But seriously speaking GS just have so many moves they can pull off compared to sages not just dps aspect.

Real question would be, what will bioware plan to do with 2 useless skills sages have (the melee saber skills). They are broken after level 10 or so when you dont need them anymore. This tells me that Bioware has no clue what to do with sage class overall and also why last answer was "were ok".

my suggestion would be to give Sages a telekinetically controlled floating lightsaber, like Kreya has in KoToR - it is essentially a pet that you can put out for maybe 30 secs with a 1 min or 45 sec cooldown, and it will melee while you cast from range.. and you will be able to use your light saber abilities when its up.. so much so they could even add a few more abilities over from the assassin /shadows too. because this way you get to use your lightsaber

my suggestion would be to give Sages a telekinetically controlled floating lightsaber, like Kreya has in KoToR - it is essentially a pet that you can put out for maybe 30 secs with a 1 min or 45 sec cooldown, and it will melee while you cast from range.. and you will be able to use your light saber abilities when its up.. so much so they could even add a few more abilities over from the assassin /shadows too. because this way you get to use your lightsaber

My suggestion would be to fix sages current issues before creating new ones. ;)

My suggestion would be to fix sages current issues before creating new ones. ;)

i think they cna do both.. afterall i don't want a new expansion, with some really lame ability.. if you say hey..no new innovations pls, just fiix current issues.. how about do both? give new things that fix current issues??

and just give some cool new things

Hi everyone,

As you may have noticed, I have stepped away from the game. It has been, probably, a few months since I logged into either the game or the forums. No particular reason except I felt I was done with the game.

This isn't meant to be a goodbye thread, I never really made one anywhere. I just thought that I ought to let you all know, especially if the class rep thing starts back up - that I won't be participating in it. I think ktap would be the best person to take over for it if he were up for it, Milas and Orderkin are good choices too - but I haven't been around lately to know if they are still around as well (I'm prob forgetting some people).

So as you may guess, I won't be updating the OP anymore. If someone would like the code to start it up again and update it, send me a PM. I think Paowee's website is great, otherwise. The google docs that I use are still linked and active, so feel free to play around with those at any time.

Best of luck to everyone,

Nibbon

I had unsubbed shortly after DP/DF.

OT, ty for the vouch I personally feel I wouldn't be right for the job if it was re-introduced and handcuff the best candidate in my opinion.

Grats :p How you liking it?

I've found myself missing lightning more and more :(

Why the swap to madness?

Grats :p How you liking it?

I've found myself missing lightning more and more :(

Uhhh, i'm liking Madness because its hard to juggle 100% DoT uptime on multiple (3+ targets). With none of your abilities lining up and all there's no visual queue unlike Snipers who got it easy mode with (2 Culls = refresh).

I've been healing more on my Sage actually >_<. With 3100 willpower I find i do better in that role (comparable EHPS) compared to when im DPSing. Maybe i'll DPS once i get lucky on rolls and grab more gear.

I also haven't figured out which ability to use in movement and short burst phases/targets. Like the laser phase in DM Brontes. Do you bother to put Affliction and slow...ly... cast Turbulence? Or do you just spam Disturbance.

I may be wrong in this, but altho sage/sorcs might not be the highest dpsers,
Offheal! i Saved my HM PUG from wiping on Raptus once; boss was at ~10% hp when the healers died (Raptus turned and did his frontal knockback. I hit barrier, others couldn't get out in time >_<). Edited by paowee

altho being able to off heal or off tank is an ilogical reason to handicap a classes maximum potential dps.. the only people who feel that way a crazed EQ/WoW players who've moved to SwToR, and got obsessed with playing rogues/hunters in wow and wanted developer favours on their fave classes, so they whinged about it and Blizzard hired an EQ player famous for his rants on pure vs hybrid called Tigole and till this day, becaus eof that idiotic logic, they still employ handicaps..which makes no sense except because some fadss wanted to keep every advantage they could on their toon. no othe rrrreason.

Off heal is a utlity like any other, and is one that cripples your dps, you can't both off heal and dps at the same time, All classes are given useful utiltiies anwyay, and if a sage has to off heal, then I wouldn't expect him to hit as high as a class that was just purely dpsing, but if he was purely dpsing, i would expect him to hit everybit as hard. and tha'ts the only addvantage a non off healing spec/class should get.

the game is interesting enough anwyay, for people to pick all classes, no need to be crippling sage/sorcs - i remember powertechs/Vanguards were the number 1 dps in the Elder Game, till 2.0 .. and though i've never played one, it was a nice sight to see that bioware weren't carrying on that nonsense blizzard did, cwith so called hybrid classes.

the design of this game's class system leaves no hybrids about. a TK sage,

I also haven't figured out which ability to use in movement and short burst phases/targets. Like the laser phase in DM Brontes. Do you bother to put Affliction and slow...ly... cast Turbulence? Or do you just spam Disturbance

Depends on the situation really, but if there's heavy movement coming up I'll save my instant telek wave proc (assuming I get it right before the phase starts). After that, you really only have 5 abilities: project, weaken mind, force wave, force slow and force stun. If you can stand still at all during the movement phase then you can do turbulence or disturbance, but if you have to keep moving all those abilities do 'decent' damage.

For the short bursts like those droids on Brontes, I'll use disturbance > weaken mind > turbulence if turbulence is off cd. If it's on cd, I'll just do some disturbance/instant telek wave and I will use project if I don't think I can get another cast off before they die. If it's realllly short burst, I'll do disturbance > project if something is going to die within 2 seconds, but that rarely happens.

If it's realllly short burst, I'll do disturbance > project if something is going to die within 2 seconds, but that rarely happens.

Yeah like the adds that spawn during the laser phase in the Brontes fight. I'm sure you guys are able to kill those adds in ~2ish seconds. so in that case you mostly do disturbance > project huh? And then do a Turbulence when it comes back up (on the next add, clockwise)

Yeah like the adds that spawn during the laser phase in the Brontes fight. I'm sure you guys are able to kill those adds in ~2ish seconds. so in that case you mostly do disturbance > project huh? And then do a Turbulence when it comes back up (on the next add, clockwise)

Maybe our dps is full potato but it takes a bit longer than 2 seconds :p

I can always get a few gcds on each one

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys,

I just recently started gearing my sage for PvE and I was wondering how much the 2 and 4 piece set bonuses effect dps. Also what APM should I be shooting for in TK? I seem to be about 4 apm lower than Handcuff on his world leaderboard parse.

Thanks