The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

New Romance Options?

Can we now have same sex romance with our companions that the other gender can romance I.E. A female Jedi knight and Kira carsen? Or is that just for the one person in rise of the hutt cartel?

With existing companions?? No... With NPC's you talk to?? Yes..

With existing companions?? No... With NPC's you talk to?? Yes..

To give more detail:

There is a romance line on Makeb for Imperial gay male characters with Lord Cytharat and another romance line on Makeb for Republic gay female characters with... I don't know her name. The science lady.

There are world-NPC [Flirt]s, but the only ones I've seen so far (Imperial) are for both genders and are only with female NPCs.

The romance lines are SGR only - you cannot romance Lord Cytharat with your lady character.

There is no ETA on SGRAs for companions, nor any information other than "it's really hard" and "something we like to think we support the idea of".

I'm sure that as much as Bioware wants to do this, you have to realize it takes time and money, particularly money, because it involves bringing in the voice actors to record new dialogue for same sex romances, animating them with the models in game, etc. none of which can be done quickly or inexpensively. I know it's frustrating, and even though I wouldn't pursue a gay relationship with my characters I too agree that the option should be there. You have to give it time.

To give more detail:

There is a romance line on Makeb for Imperial gay male characters with Lord Cytharat and another romance line on Makeb for Republic gay female characters with... I don't know her name. The science lady.

There are world-NPC [Flirt]s, but the only ones I've seen so far (Imperial) are for both genders and are only with female NPCs.

The romance lines are SGR only - you cannot romance Lord Cytharat with your lady character.

There is no ETA on SGRAs for companions, nor any information other than "it's really hard" and "something we like to think we support the idea of".

Thanks for that.. I am tired and having trouble sleeping.. Thank for those additional facts.. :)

Can we now have same sex romance with our companions that the other gender can romance I.E. A female Jedi knight and Kira carsen? Or is that just for the one person in rise of the hutt cartel?

No, it's just Makeb based characters only.

You won't see any alteration to companions until they can get all the voice actors back in the studio.

We learned recently that recording new VO isn't expensive, however I can see where it be difficult in terms of scheduling due to the amount of actors involved.

For example if they are going to do any class specific updates/changes that require VO, companions, etc, you need all 16 of the class voice actors back and around 30 different actors for the companions. There's 40 companions in total (41 counting HK) but they don't all speak English/basic. You'd need around half that number for just the romance characters, but I can't imagine that they'd get get all the actors back together for just that purpose.

On the flip side however there will (hopefully) be a point that does require them to get all those actors back in the studio, and if they're smart they'll have the actors record as many different things if they can regardless if they have no current plans for X content at the time. In other words future proof themselves. Record whatever SGR stuff you'd need, new companion conversations, marriage related stuff, future story content, etc.

Note that even if there were no plans to include SGR in the vanilla game they still could've recorded dialogue for it just in case they wanted to go back and include it.

Now of course keep in mind this is all stuff on the VO side. The situation becomes a bit more complicated on the game side of things. For instance if you've already completed all the companion dialogues for your class I can see how it would be difficult for Bioware to put something in that rewinds/resets all the companion dialogues for characters.

At this point it would probably just be easier to add two new companions (one male, one female) that have romance options for both genders.

At this point it would probably just be easier to add two new companions (one male, one female) that have romance options for both genders.

Which would then be probably out for characters who married the original opposite gender romance option, or at least require more VO work of them reacting to this new companion becoming the love interest. Lot of work for not a lot of payoff.

Maybe for a new class with new companions this could happen but that is less likely than getting more class content.

Most likely if we see SGR companions, We will see new companions with SGR instead of existing ones. If they added it to existing ones (unless they added a reset conversations button) they would be screwing over any characters that have already completed all the conversations.

Most likely if we see SGR companions, We will see new companions with SGR instead of existing ones. If they added it to existing ones (unless they added a reset conversations button) they would be screwing over any characters that have already completed all the conversations.

That entirely depends on how they are implemented. I see Bioware having three options for this: putting SGRAs with existing companions in post-50, doing it pre-50 (like the current OGRAs) or adding them pre-50, but making the conversations available as part of a different line to the current completed line (because they are different - I didn't get the romance conversations for Mako on my female Powertech, for example.)

And it's also not a case of removing the gender toggle for the romances, as there is a lot of gendered language (not necessarily pronouns) and attitudes in the current romances.

I must admit. I would prefer atleast 2 companions added for each Class, one male and one female just for SGR. This way it doesnt feel tacked on or (hopefully) rushed. It could coincide with a level cap so getting the companions made sense.

I just feel making all the romance companions Bisexual does not feel right. Especially with how well Bioware handled ME3

To give more detail:

I chose the Dark Side option at the end of Makeb, meaning I couldn't have sexy time with the "Science Lady"

So much for SGR and nookie with Nadia. Should have been in since the start.

I chose the Dark Side option at the end of Makeb, meaning I couldn't have sexy time with the "Science Lady"

So much for SGR and nookie with Nadia. Should have been in since the start.

I take it then that the options are a lot like the Imperial side.

I commented in the official SGR discussion thread, but I'll mention it here: it feels a bit like the Makeb romances may have been written with the idea of SGR/As already being part of the game. Obviously I can't prove that, non of the writers are allowed to speak about their process or SGR/A content, it's just a thought that occurred.

I must admit. I would prefer atleast 2 companions added for each Class, one male and one female just for SGR. This way it doesnt feel tacked on or (hopefully) rushed. It could coincide with a level cap so getting the companions made sense.

I just feel making all the romance companions Bisexual does not feel right. Especially with how well Bioware handled ME3

Do you mean a male and female companion for each class? I.e. Agent gets two, Warrior gets a different two and so on or Two companions for everyone, like HK-51? The former to me is mildly reasonable*, the second would definitely feel tacked on and rushed.

*You have to remember that a lot of current players have their classes for the companions and would want to romance them. It's why the wait for the confirmation on the nature of companion SGRAs is so annoying - we don't know how, when or who, or even if every class will get the same amount of options (they don't currently, anyway, the favour is towards straight male characters) and it's not unreasonable that some of the companions may be bi or have exceptions to their sexuality. This isn't Earth, the societies and cultures we're talking about could be very similar in attitude or wildly different, we don't know for sure because they haven't been explored (to my knowledge) in that depth or way. And what if all current romance companions are made bi? they are already herosexual. Quinn makes no notice if you're an alien, he'll still romance you. Mako doesn't seem to care that you murder innocent bystanders on a job. Whatever their personalities are, they are not reflected so much in the romances as to make it impossible for the player. You simply can't turn a companion off with your actions, the player is in complete control.

Edit: Sorry for the double post, I kind of expected someone to post before I did :| This is what I get for not copy-pasta editing.

Edited by Tatile

Do you mean a male and female companion for each class? I.e. Agent gets two, Warrior gets a different two and so on or Two companions for everyone, like HK-51? The former to me is mildly reasonable*, the second would definitely feel tacked on and rushed.

Edit: Sorry for the double post, I kind of expected someone to post before I did :| This is what I get for not copy-pasta editing.

I mean each class getting 2 new companions of their own. Especially if they ever extend each class story.

On the Double Post. It seems that as long as you are actually adding something and not just bumping. They are ok with double posts. Especially during an active conversation :)

I mean each class getting 2 new companions of their own. Especially if they ever extend each class story.

On the Double Post. It seems that as long as you are actually adding something and not just bumping. They are ok with double posts. Especially during an active conversation :)

Not double-posting is a personal thing and I know many other posters aren't too keen on it. It's a courtesey thing :x

"ever extend class stories"? Yeah, I hope they will (and add new companions) but it doesn't look too good at the moment. Getting two companions of the binary genders* would be expected, if they extend the class story, considering they would (presumably) also be extending the stories of existing companions.

*Have to get out of the habit of assuming binary as the default. Wrong IRL, let alone in Star Wars...

Not double-posting is a personal thing and I know many other posters aren't too keen on it. It's a courtesey thing :x

"ever extend class stories"? Yeah, I hope they will (and add new companions) but it doesn't look too good at the moment. Getting two companions of the binary genders* would be expected, if they extend the class story, considering they would (presumably) also be extending the stories of existing companions.

*Have to get out of the habit of assuming binary as the default. Wrong IRL, let alone in Star Wars...

I am hopeful that we will see more story archs with how they have been doing financially lately and they just did not have the finances for Makeb.

However I will say. If they pull another Makeb with a well written story. And they added 2 companions like that to everyone. I would be "ok" with it if they were well written.

I think this is the best Idea personally. It also would fit well with a larger expansion, and it would also time perfectly with adding new storyline content for individual classes. They wouldn't have to do any additions with the old comps...we been there, got da t-shirt, instead, we have new comps post 50, with new storylines and new options. I think that would pull in a ton of people, and bring back many that left due to the "story" being at an end.

and they could easily slide in SGR for those who are interested in such. win/win on both sides.

If the game will do great in coming months, I hope BW will get around to make a big expansion pack.

I think many people would be willing to pay even the "standard expansion pack price" of 40 USD for a true continuation of individualized class stories, new companions (SGRA optional, I loved for the "Science Lady" was handled as a bisexual girl), several new planets, etc.