Thanks Bioware- PvP is looking better!

Genttry

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

PvP is better at 2.0, there are advancements to be made yet but the game is deffinetevely better, this coming from someone who has harshly flamed pretty much every decision bioware made since 1.2.

Bolster is amazing, once they sort out the unintended "features" (naked bolster, crap gear overperforming, augment bugs) its going to be the best thing ever.

Abouth healing tho, i think they should make healing harder. The only criticism i have for 2.0 is that healing has become stupdily easy (for all 3 classes). They need to make healing play more engaging than just spamming AoE / HoTs / whatever floats commando healers boat and being able to get gazzilion heals.

Im not saying that spamming clunky abilities is the best way to heal, but healing is so EASY as of 2.0 that a player who spams salvation / medicine cockpack / whatever floats commandoes boat is playing as a baddie and still getting "rewarded" by getting astronomical healing scores.

Keep TTK as it is, nerf healing, or make it more engaging / harder. Get rid of mass AoE heals in PvP (make them weaker) and focus more on spot healing, no one thinks AoE healing belongs to PvP.

PvP is about movement and spot healing, not puddle spam.

Edited by Laforet

As of right now, playing a healing class is not as rewarding or as fun as in WoW. I personally think the reason for this is that healers aren't vital. If they are vital, it is only in ranked warzones and ...

Wait what? Healers are not vital?

On my server the determing factor for winning a WZ is: Do we have 2 competent healers? Do they have to competent healers?

If both are yes, it might be a good game. Otherwise the team without healers has a giant disadvantage right off the bat.

Granted, the role of healers in WOW was even more vital, until the point were people would directly leave the WZ if the other team had significantly better heal (thanks to the feature that you could see the enemy team before the start of the BG). But that was NO good thing.

Edited by Arutar

First, lets remove or put on DR the many stuns, knockbacks, chokes, knockdows, roots, etc..... being stunned the whole time you are being killed isnt fun for anyone, it isn't skill.

As to bolster and expertise, right now expertise is the main stat for pvp and does more for your character than any other stat while in a wz. You can try this out yourself and see the results. As to bolster and the removal of exper from war hero gear...hahahaha, I might not get new gear cause when I go into wz with no exper it gives me over 1900, and I can see from this thread many of you dont think this is broken?

If you are having fun with this game I am happy for you, but honestly if this game is so good and BW/EA are doing such a good job explain why this game has dropped from millions of subs to a few hunderd k and continues to lose subs every day.

Do I want this game to suceed, sure, I had high hopes when I subed in at the launch, but in the end its up to BW/EA to make this game work, to begin listening to customer feedback. This is a business and like any other business if the product you provide doesnt satisfy the consumer then you lose customers until the business dies.

To many of my guildies, including myself, see the xpac as trash and as I read through the dev comments on why they did what to which class, I can only say....what you are intending is not working either its bad in concept or fail in game.

I have to believe they don't play their own game, its the only explaination I can come up with for their total disconnect from in game play and what they "think" in game play is like.

Thanks for all of the positive feedback re: 2.0. I knew there were a lot of people who enjoy the changes like me. It just takes an encouraging post to get people to comment on the improved pvp gameplay.

Back to the point...I think Bioware is in a great position to create an esport niche for SWTOR with bolster and the newly improved semi-leveld playing field. Like I mentioned, now is the time for them to create their MMO niche. We all want an MMO e-sport apart from WoW, which is arguably doing just "ok" as an esport. We need more positive threads like this with some good input and ideas for Bioware to take into consideration.

Thanks for your time and for posting all. I know a few of you posted that you don't like the changes, but the vast majority seem to be happy, which is what I expected.

Cheers and keep the ideas coming!

edit: I don't believe that healing is as easy as one poster claims. All it takes is a coordinated effort to lock out a healer like in WoW and pre 2.0. Healers are not god-like by any stretch but if that is your opinion, good on you! Thanks for sharing!

edit: Also, to the poster(s) who claim that Bioware fails to listen to its audience, I think that 2.0 shows that they do. Most, or maybe many if I go too far, are happy with these changes. It is a more level playing field. I suspect those that don't like it are the ones who enjoy grinding pvp gear for an advantage which, in itself, is fine. If you are going to beat me though, I'd rather it be because your binds are better, you know your class better and you know the other classes well too. I do agree that there is too much cc atm though. Keep the great posts coming. This is encouraging, for me at least. 2.0 seems to be a hit, in general.

Edited by Genttry

Would like something you have took :) This games pvp is a good concept and I have played from the beta mostly all pvping it has not been changed in this patch for the better have you saw the amount of threads about how bad it has got PLZ look again

I agree! I played, got frustrated when they pushed back the ranked warzones, then came back. The PvP system is, indeed, very alluring and even novel in my opinion. Huttball is great! Thanks poster!

edit: I like your derivate "Skotish" name, sir :)

Edited by Genttry

Well, I for one am loving the changes. I've *****ed and moaned and whined like the others since this game was released, I've left and re-joined a few times but I'm still here.

Why do I like it so much? PUGs are a lot more viable to play in now with the new bolster system; everyone can contribute equally,

I agree. Again, thanks for your post friend. Keep 'em coming all!

Edited by Genttry

This is quite ironic, considering the amount of times you've butchered the English language in this thread alone.

Not really. There haven't been responses that are so poorly written where we lose the point of the post. I didn't claim to be a master of the English language...I simply asked to make sure we can understand the post. Thanks for replying though and sorry if I butchered the grammar friend! I don't mean to offend. And thanks for taking the time to post, although I'd rather see a response more on topic...kudos to you anyway!

Back to topic: E-sport for SWTOR! Hit me with the skinny!

Edited by Genttry

Not really. There haven't been responses that are so poorly written where we lose the point of the post. I didn't claim to be a master of the English language...I simply asked to make sure we can understand the post. Thanks for replying though and sorry if I butchered the grammar friend! I don't mean to offend. And thanks for taking the time to post, although I'd rather see a response more on topic...kudos to you anyway!

It is ironic!

Take a moment to watch this

Then i might take a moment to reply to your dragged out post.

Edited by Scotland

Pvp is not looking better. For many of us, we're not looking at it at all anymore. I''m done with it (and ergo the game) until they fix this mess and apologize for their idiocy. As I've said in other threads, this is what happens when you try to design a system that rewards or provides advantages to those who haven't earned or put in their pvp grind-time, when at the same time trying to tell us we need to grind out gear.

Uhm, F-that, when you make PVE gear better than the gear we ground out the last time, it's an insult.. Someone is going to get an advantage, and the fact that they've decided to screw the PVP base disgusts me.

/signed except for the game part... I plan on playing because I have faith they will fix.. something.. maybe not all but something.

Edited by Kegparty

It is ironic!

Take a moment to watch this

Then i might take a moment to reply to your dragged out post.

Okie doke, I watched it. Again, sorry you don't like my grammar friend. I suppose the Queen may not approve either. SWTOR as an E-sport though, she would support that I think.

Edited by Genttry

Okie doke, I watched it. Again, sorry you don't like my grammar friend. I suppose the Queen may not approve either. SWTOR as an E-sport though, she would support that I think.

Ok, on the topic of E-sport.

Minimum of 8 players on each team and lets call it Ranked.

Oh wait..........

Edited by Scotland

/signed except for the game part... I plan on playing because I have faith they will fix

Me too. There are some glaring problems with 2.o PvP. We shouldn't be able to PvP naked. I don't care for PvE gear being viable either. /signed for having faith that those will be fixed

Edited by Genttry

*tips hat to Bioware*

Good job on reworking pvp to engage more people. The game, as everyone knows, took a nosedive within the first 6 months- one year. Some people came back for F2P, but we still need more.

Instanced PvP is looking better than ever, regardless of the whine posts. Remember the silent majority happily plods along or quits and I think this step will help to improve the playerbase.

Reccommendations:

1- Implememnt an "arena styile" system. Classes in Swotr feel more balanced than in WoW. Even in WoW, arenas are still popular with FOTM comps. To wit, there is even an "Arena Junkie" site that still lives on, with posting limited to those who have attained the highest ratings or are previous "gladiators." I still play WoW and read and post on AJ after these many years and I still rush to gladiator ratings at the end of each season. Why? Because it is fun for me.

2- Continue to balance classes: this is a tough one, I know, because the game also contains a PvE component. Let's face it, WoW is a template regardless of how much people disagree. It retains a very successful business model for 10+ years. However, one of the issues in WoW PvP/Arenas is balancing classes because PvE is the mainstay. In this game, PvE is simply "ok", but you have a chance to develop an mmo niche now. SWTOR as an esport will bring more people back to the game. This same group of ultra-competitive people will spend money not only on subscriptions for you, but they will also buy cartel coins in order to get to level 55 faster.

3- Implement some end-game, PvP-based cartel coin rewards: some may complain about having to spend more money, but I think this is a good addition. We have valor boosts currently, but perhaps you can put your minds to it and get more creative!

4- Make healing feel more rewarding: As of right now, playing a healing class is not as rewarding or as fun as in WoW. I personally think the reason for this is that healers aren't vital. If they are vital, it is only in ranked warzones and, let's face it, the ranked warzones are a pretty small percentage of your loyal playerbase. I've been in games as both dps and heals and my experience is that PUGS could really care less about healers. There is no incentive to support healers now as it is a DPS race without peels, cc and support for our healers. Obviously, ranked/rated warzones understand the distinction between dps and healers and that playerbase covets them. In my opinion, healers should be so valuable that even the casual instanced-pvp'er should know how important it is to keep them up. I'd say the same goes for tanks, but there are so many people playing the "warrior and bounty hunter" classes that the problem isn't as drastic. Same with the other tank class. (edit: caveat- my main is a healer so I admit I am biased. At least I admit it:).....)

5- Lastly, consider making SWTOR an esport: it is apparent that you sunk a lot of money into the "leveling-up" part of the game. This game is more fun to level up than any other MMO I've played, and I used to be an avid WoW, multi-class, multi-season gladiator pvp'er. Like many, I left this game after the first no-go on ranked pvp but I came back. It has been fun to level up my new toons (but at the same time frustrating to find out that i can't transfer the healer and Jugg I attained pvp rank 50+ with.)

In summary, I think you can define your market right now. Make SWTOR a more viable esport game and I would bet that your cashflow will increase. There are a lot of players that are waiting for the next MMO-esport apart from WoW (and, please note, even WoW has problems as an esport but there are coders who have recently improved how easy it is to follow tournament games as a spectator). Since the game didn't do as well as EVERYONE hoped initially, I say strike while the iron is hot! End-game PvE, while enjoyed by some players, is definitely not ground-breaking or lauded in the media as original and refreshing. You can do that with PvP though. In fact, when we all first bought the game, Bioware even announced that SWTOR would have excellent and novel world PvP and instanced PvP. That's why I bought and subscibed to begin with!

Keep moving PvP in the right direction. Thank you fpr starting to make the right moves. There may be a big backlash to this thread but these are simply suggestions from an arena-junkie and a player who immensely enjoys PvP. I love the Star Wars Universe and I love competitive pvp. The potential is great, padawans...just use the force and take heed of my yoda-like wisdom! lolo.

Are you on crack? It's worse than ever.

Pvp is not looking better. For many of us, we're not looking at it at all anymore. I''m done with it (and ergo the game) until they fix this mess and apologize for their idiocy. As I've said in other threads, this is what happens when you try to design a system that rewards or provides advantages to those who haven't earned or put in their pvp grind-time, when at the same time trying to tell us we need to grind out gear.

Uhm, F-that, when you make PVE gear better than the gear we ground out the last time, it's an insult.. Someone is going to get an advantage, and the fact that they've decided to screw the PVP base disgusts me.

"Better than he gear you round out the last time"

That's part of an expansion. New gear, new lvls, new abilities. Something more to strive for. If you thought you could sit at the top of the hill with gear that would be top end forever... Then I feel sorry for you.

Most people in this game consider pvp a secondary task when compared to pve. As such there are more casual PvP'ers who now play due to bolster helping to close the gear gap. They are in no way better off with bolster than gettin pvp gear. Pvp should be skill based with gear giving some advantages by not being the deciding factor. That being said, those casual PvP'ers can still be competitive and slowly work towards their gear, and those who are more pvp oriented can fully augment/min-max/tweak their sets for maximum effectiveness.

All in all I would say that the state of pvp in this game is much improved... But I agree that the content is well overdue for expansion upon.

Edited by LanceCorporalDan

I understand what you are saying, but tbh I only have 2 pieces of gear. conqueror main hand and partisan off hand. I have 25k hp, but I am healing over 1million constantly with only 2 pieces of gear. Therefore what is the purpose to farm gear anymore when you don't need to. How can a game last when you run out of things to do. Look at GW2 everybody said GW2 is going to be gamebreaking because gear is not a factor. GW2 is one of the biggest flops in mmo. Players need something to reach for. They need a goal. There is nothing for pvp players to aim for anymore.

Ok, on the topic of E-sport.

Minimum of 8 players on each team and lets call it Ranked.

Great start! Let's start a publicity drive, create a buzz, get more coverage from established gaming sites like AJ, find some cash prizes and competent play-by-play callers. See, my poor grammar has not driven us apart as far as you may suspect friend! Let's carry the banner for this movement and see how far we can go with this thing.

I just want a matchmaking filter for maps i get paired with. I DON'T WANNA PLAY HUTTBALL 5 MATCHES IN A ROW!!!

Also, still slightly miffed they removed the expertise from my WH gear.

Also 2.0 Have you ever watched 3 upper 50 characters struggle to kill a lvl 36 in pve gear? its beyond retarded.

Mini venting done, resume bashing OP.

Great start! Let's start a publicity drive, create a buzz, get more coverage from established gaming sites like AJ, find some cash prizes and competent play-by-play callers. See, my poor grammar has not driven us apart as far as you may suspect friend! Let's carry the banner for this movement and see how far we can go with this thing.

Lol..

That's part of an expansion. New gear, new lvls, new abilities. Something more to strive for. If you thought you could sit at the top of the hill with gear that would be top end forever... Then I feel sorry for you.

Most people in this game consider pvp a secondary task when compared to pve. As such there are more casual PvP'ers who now play due to bolster helping to close the gear gap. They are in no way better off with bolster than gettin pvp gear. Pvp should be skill based with gear giving some advantages by not being the deciding factor. That being said, those casual PvP'ers can still be competitive and slowly work towards their gear, and those who are more pvp oriented can fully augment/min-max/tweak their sets for maximum effectiveness.

All in all I would say that the state of pvp in this game is much improved... But I agree that the content is well overdue for expansion upon.

That can be said the same for PVE. PVE should be about skill and knowing your class and I should be bolstered to be able to run all ops. My point is this PVE gear should never be better than pvp gear in wz and pvp gear should never be better than PVE gear in ops.

I understand what you are saying, but tbh I only have 2 pieces of gear. conqueror main hand and partisan off hand. I have 25k hp, but I am healing over 1million constantly with only 2 pieces of gear. Therefore what is the purpose to farm gear anymore when you don't need to. How can a game last when you run out of things to do. Look at GW2 everybody said GW2 is going to be gamebreaking because gear is not a factor. GW2 is one of the biggest flops in mmo. Players need something to reach for. They need a goal. There is nothing for pvp players to aim for anymore.

In competitive arenas like WoW 3v3, the aim is to attain gladiator ratings. Getting the gear to become competitive enough to reach the top 0.5% is a chore. Attaining the win/loss ratio is the challenge. Finding comps that work is the challenge. That is the goal. I know the system in SWTOR isn't there yet, but that is what I am personally hoping for. 3 v 3 in Swtor would be fun in my opinion.

edit; Despite my poor grammar, Scotland has my back on this. See above. He and I will start this publicity drive. In return, I endeavor to improve my writing skill. He may have to be the poster from now on...I'll just bring esprit de corp to the process

Edited by Genttry