Why rise of the Hutt Cartel is a failure

silent-sniper

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ahh the days of kotor, greatest rpg game I played. The moment i found out i was revan was a monumental shock. But this is a MMo, and overall a damn good one.

Indeed, when one considers the pratical limitations of the genre BW's done an excellent job mateing it to their story set up. room for improvement is there no doubt but..

So far i'm happy with the pve stuff , except crews skill are not workng right, can't comment about pvp sense i don't do that. I'm looking forward to the next expansion , my guess is that it will be larger.

• 2 months later...
I agree with everything stated from boring quests to lack of new additions (rehashed hard modes and no new warzones) In addition I expected Makeb to be more open-world, but it was the exact opposite. The game designers were advertising Makeb's greatness and uniqueness, but I was disappointing. Taxis that take you to instanced parts of Makeb... the sense of adventuring this new planet was not there. I also hated how my companion would just sit there motionless, haha Mako looked like a zombie. I spent 20 bucks for this expansion (don't think it was worth that much), but for 10 bucks I think its probably worth it Edited by Agandour

I cant really agree with most of your views, but appreciate your candor.

That is not meant to insinuate that there is not room for improvement, nor that the expansion was a home run....but it does have, IMO, many features that were unique and should be moved to the rest of the game...like the beginning sequence.

Every first visit to a planet should be like the intro to Makeb.

Edited by LordArtemis

Welcome to the difference between single-player and multi-player games. In an MMO the choices you make cannot make a lasting difference to your environment because everyone needs to make their own choices.

It is not lazy it is an inevitable result of it being an MMO.

In WoW, in the Lich King expansion, there is a choice to make, and you make it and fight and change the terrain. And if you group with people who didn't, they don't see the changes and they don't see your avatar. It is possible for things to make a difference, it's just likely beyond the curve of Mythic Devs.

In WoW, in the Lich King expansion, there is a choice to make, and you make it and fight and change the terrain. And if you group with people who didn't, they don't see the changes and they don't see your avatar. It is possible for things to make a difference, it's just likely beyond the curve of Mythic Devs.

Are you talking about the phased zones?

You either progress further in the phased area, or you do not. It is as simple as accepting a quest and completing it or postponing the quest/not doing it at all. All you get is an illusion that your choice made a difference. All that has happened is you went from one scripted zone completed it, and moved on to the next. If you think about it, phased zones dont even make sense. You are questing with some of your friends and you get to certain point, and you kill the dragon turn in the quest and all of the sudden you cannot see your friends? and they cannot see you? yet you are standing right in the same spot in game? but in their phased zone there are still a bunch of undead roaming around, but in your phased zone in the exact same spot there are a bunch of argent crusaders standing guard?

As advanced as the technology is today, it isnt advanced enough to give us the kind of flexibility we would hope for. There have even been articles written stating that the tech still isnt good enough. It is much easier to write a story that only has 1-2, possible outcomes. The phased zoning that WoW has is pretty much the closest we have come so far, but its a long way from having each one of your dialogue options changing the rest of your storyline.

Yeah, except you don't actually change anything depending on your choices because there are none. Every single person will have the same landscape at the end of the quests. You're completely missing the point.

The problem, as I personally see it, is that everyone keeps comparing SWTOR to some other game be it KOTOR or WoW or what have you. It's perfectly okay to like those games, there is a lot there to like. I just think a lot of people are unable to get passed the reality that this is it's own thing. It's not a Star Wars version of WoW (like some keep pushing for) nor is it a remake of KOTOR. It happens to occur in "the Old Republic" and has some basic lore in common, naturally, but SWTOR is it's own specific thing. The best way to enjoy the game is to STOP comparing it to other games (within Bioware or out) and take this game as it's own entity separate and apart from others. If, after doing that, you find you enjoy the game for what -it- is, great! If not, then move on to a more satisfying gaming experience elsewhere. If you decide the pro's outweigh the con's and you continue to play SWTOR, then threads complaining that it's not like some other game seem unproductive, imo.

Well op is mostly right. They designed a 5 to 6h questline. (3h in double XP weekend) and made it as linear as possible.

If they wanted to make it a different and better experience they should have branched the whole storyline. Even if they collapse it down to one end the journey could have been way more interessting if they decided to bring in some decissions that really make a difference.

Not to be rude but after 7 years of programming and building worlds with kill this, collect that, they could probably fill a 40 hour questline within no time.

I guess they didn't do it because they fear the consequences. If it ever turned out to be great and that most people like it they have to stick with it and heaven forbid that they can't deliver the same experience with the next expansion.

What was indeed really good was the focused storyline. If really felt like you are there for this one reason even you had daily and at least one additional quest. If felt less like on the other planets where you one of the future greates sith take credit and a green item for mowing the lawn of a farmer on balmorra. ( i don't think that this questline exists but often it feels similar to that. :) )

So storywise it was not bad. But linearity makes it even harder to replay it several times.

Correct me when I'm wrong, but if they do no longer see each other, even though they are at the same place, how is that still considered "playing together" in an MMO?

Sure, phasing can be used to make changes visible, but you essentially cause the community to turn into splinter cells of different "state of the world"... which in my opinion goes against the core of a MMO (just like instancing does).

How lovely would it be, if we wouldn't only need to try to find someone to help with a H4 quest, but we would also need to say something like this: "Looking for a tank for final H4 of (XY) mission chain, must have choices 1,2,2,1,3 made",,, or else they cannot see each other and thus not play together... That might be better for a single player experience, but it got no place in an MMO in my opinion.

Edited by JPryde

The only problems I have with Makeb really are that there is a quest there that is very long and repetitious and I nowadays hope to hit 55 before that by doing ops etc, so I don't have to do that particular quest.

The bad thing about it is that it keeps me from finishing the story line on my alts because I don't want to do that particular quest.

The second thing is the mob spacing. There are too many mobs on the Makeb islands and more importantly, too close together. It makes Makeb tedious. In fact this could be a major contributing factor to my first gripe.

The bad thing about the mob spacing issue is that even though I liked a lot of things on Makeb, I go there as little as possible. That can't be the aim of a new planet...

Every first visit to a planet should be like the intro to Makeb.

It's just a shame that the class specific intros were the best part of the quest line.

I have 6 level 55s, only one has completed the Makeb questline, primarily because that character is part of a static team that wanted to do it.

The other five levelled 50-55 mostly through Black Hole/Section X dailies (one hit 55 before completing Corellia thanks to 2xp :cool: ). I guess I ought to drag at least one Rep character through to see the other side of the story, but it just wasn't that interesting.

Class specific stories in the next expansion please!

Correct me when I'm wrong, but if they do no longer see each other, even though they are at the same place, how is that still considered "playing together" in an MMO?

Sure, phasing can be used to make changes visible, but you essentially cause the community to turn into splinter cells of different "state of the world"... which in my opinion goes against the core of a MMO (just like instancing does).

Have you played WoW or read the WoW forums? The Blizz devs are in love with this phased concept. In WoW they have 2 seater aerial mounts now...guess what happens when the rider and passenger fly through a phased area and both those people are at different stages of that phased area? I remember when they did phased areas in Icecrown. I would fly down to a ore node and i would be mining it, but it would glitch out. IT wouldnt let me loot it, and each time i tried to retap the node the ore stone quantity would change. Come to find out that somebody in a different phase from me was tapping the same ore node and taking the ore.

Stuff like that along with fragmented zones are just a few of the problems with phased areas. I believe they fixed the issue with the ore node, but the mount issue was fairly recent within the last few months.

Edited by swtonewbie

You mentioned that this thread is simply your opinion, but the title of the thread, is not one, 'stating an opinion'.

Faux News does this all the time. They report opinion and spin pieces, as if they're fact. The contents of your thread were your opinions, but your title implies that the game is not just a failure for you, but for all.

On a funny note, you reminded me of a (paraphrased) WIll Ferrell quote:

"With all due respect, you're a complete idiot."

'What? I said, 'with all due respect'"

Fox is the only place I get my news. They lean conservative in their opinion based commentary, yes, but don't report it as fact. Please let's not bring politics/media into this because this will turn into a liberal/conservative argument very quick.

Have you played WoW or read the WoW forums?

I tried to... I really tried... But after testing it for 12 days, my eyes were bleeding from the technicolor rainbow and I was getting headaches by the lack of polygons.. The forums of WoW I did completely ignore as they smelled like wookiee on the doorstep already.

But your examples are pretty hilarious and explain very good, why phasing is more a problem than a solution in an MMO.

The option to say "NO" to set quest givers do not exist in this game.

In every Bioware game except this one we have had the option of saying no if we did not like or we disagreed with the quest. When saying no we got something else to do instead or just moved on entirely. This would effect the story in some way shape or form.

If we say no to a quest in SWTOR the cut-scene exits and the quest is still there.

This is biggest Issue with all of the planets in this game. When it comes to questing we should have more options.

I have two 55's and my last one, a Mercenary, hasn't been to Makeb yet lol And honestly don't plan too after someone pointed out I can pick up the GSI quest elsewhere.

Wen't through the, take a step kill 5 mobs, take a step kill 5 mobs, take a step kill 5 mobs, that is Makeb on my Juggernaut and wont do it again. Most of the quests just drag on and on and I don't find them enjoyable at all.

If you don't like it, it's well within your rights but your personal reasons do not make the ex-pac a failure to anyone but you. I declare your title pompous and utterly ridiculous.

Truth. Opinions are like ***holes, everyone has one, and most of them stink from time to time.

The story isn't bad, but while playing through it, I just felt like I was back leveling my other toons, the story isn't half as good as what bioware was capable of, just look at KOTOR again, even their side quests felt exciting compared to most of the content in this game :/

You are comparing a SPG with a MMO. You cannot do that. The programming required for a MMO is considerably more than a SPG because not only do you have to add other facets (raids, dungeons, solo content and PvP) but also have to worry more about bugs (more people = more chances to find/exploit a bug), making more people happy (as you are complaining, showing that you are not happy) and making expansion content.

SPGs you can make, crank out and move on. Some get updates, some get bug fixes, others are as-is and you deal with it. It's an apples and oranges thing. Both are fruit, but that's about all they have in common.

Mmm...

I can hardly consider "Makeb" a failure, after all it was only $9.99!

I truly enjoyed the story, it was at least for me, quite immersive, trying to save the empire from final doom, a planet in the brink of going boom, busting into the hutts business, I frankly felt it was as a good a story as they come.

Challenge was also there, it had tough puzzles to solve especially with the super warbots (will not go into detail to avoid spoiler issues)

For my $10 bucks, I feel I got what I paid for.

Sue

Oh c'mon man. KOTOR? Really? Have you tried playing that game lately? People hold it up like its the end-all of RPGs, but I assure you there is a lot that could be improved. More people need to ditch the rose-colored glasses of nostalgia and live in the here and now.

Agree. Wholeheartedly.