Do you consider RotHC an expansion or dlc?

Kadin

Or do you think the two are one in the same?

To me, between the price and what's offered, it seems to be more along the lines of dlc to me than a full blown expansion. This is just a first impression but it just doesn't seem large enough to be an expansion and the price seems to say the same.

With that being said, for the cost, there's a good bit of content offered here so I'm happy.

Edited by Kadin

All new content expand the game, so you could call it an expansion I guess.

My guess is that the "fullblown expansion" standard was set by WoW. And since Eaware knew they weren't gonna supply that amount of content now, they decided to only call it a patch. Because if they said that it was an official expansion, people would be expecting an expansion by WoW standards.

Edited by Wallner

The entire game is DLC.

You put in the disc, and it downloads at least 90% of it.

I don't know what you mean by "DLC" and I don't see what the difference between "Addon Content" and "Expansion" and "More levels to do, and also more items and enemies and a new planet".

It was $10. They made it clear it was a level cap of 55. I honestly don't know who's buying this and thinking they're getting more or are entitled more for the price. It was all put out there ahead of time.

The entire game is DLC.

I don't know what you mean by "DLC" and I don't see what the difference between "Addon Content" and "Expansion" and "More levels to do, and also more items and enemies and a new planet".

It was $10. They made it clear it was a level cap of 55. I honestly don't know who's buying this and thinking they're getting more or are entitled more for the price. It was all put out there ahead of time.

To me, an expansion typically is a large add-on to a game which really makes a huge step up and takes the game to a new level. DLC, to me, is a rather small add-on that adds a bit of stuff like one of the expansion packs for say Borderlands. A new map, some new weapons, etc.

The entire game is DLC.

I dont think someone was expecting more, its just the justified need to express disappointment overall.

After almost 2 years of nothing pretty much, the news for something new generated abit of hype. The last time ppl were excited was in winter 2011.

To me, an expansion typically is a large add-on to a game which really makes a huge step up and takes the game to a new level. DLC, to me, is a rather small add-on that adds a bit of stuff like one of the expansion packs for say Borderlands. A new map, some new weapons, etc.

Note: I am replying to Kadin, as part of a general response on the topic.. not specifically targeting to Kadin.

The market is changing.. and you would personally benefit by adjusting with it....or stop playing MMOs. Because the market is not going back.

Pure subscription MMOs are heading for extinction... as are boxed copies of games in stores... as are traditional large expansion packs that only come every 3 years.

Edited by Andryah

The trend seems to be going to digital downloads for just about everything these days. It makes it easier for the developers in terms of cost and freedom of release date. What most people probably don't realize is when a boxed game is going to hit stores, they essentially have to pay to reserve retail space a very long time in advance. What sucks more is that if they end up not making their original target release date, they still have to keep paying for the reserved space that they asked for in that time. Edited by chuixupu

To me it is an expansion. Is it what you are used to from WoW such as Wrath of the Lich King? No it isn't. But for $10 it is JUST fine.

BUT... they need to put a Makeb-sized expansion out quarterly or at LEAST twice a year. The way I'd do it is Makeb started ch4. I'd do another 1-3 mini-expansions like this one that continues ch4 then once I'm ready for ch5 (which is a whole new story arc) either do a larger expansion or the next set of mini-expansions. But market them like 2.1, 2.2, etc.

I think a lot of people have just blown it way out of proportion... they want the usual $40-60 WoW expansion... well at least Bioware didn't charge you $40 for it... it was $10. WELL worth the cash for what we've gotten. Plus more content to come in the upcoming patches and all of that is for free.

Ok so there seems to be some mixed responses but most tend to agree it would be considered dlc instead of an "expansion" based on other games. So with that said, would you like to see this trend continue from BW where they release smaller sized add-ons like RotHC at a lower cost instead of what other games have done with larger expansions which cost 3-4 times as much?

For me, if they can do something like this (RotHC) on maybe a semi-annual basis or heck, even an annual basis... I think I'd like it better. Rather than make me wait 2-3 years before a large chunk is added to the game, keep is smaller and give it to me more often. At least that's they way I'd like to see it going forward.

As someone else said, the amrket is changeing, back when SW:TOR was released, I noted that the cutscenes etc indicated that SW:TOR was going to be moveing MMOs forwards from where they have, in comparison to single player games, stagnated.

WoW was released about 10 years ago, and the market in those days where very very VERY differnt. people would buy a game box in a store, and a year or two later a large 30-40 dollar expansion would come out.

fast forward to toiday. that's not the case. these days video game expansions are the rarity. with most studios releaseing smaller, but more, DLCs instead.

which often adds up to the same amount of stuff. but it's cheaper, and more spread out.

it also has the side bemnifit of making this easier for console players (not an issue for tor no but this is an industry thing))

I've been predicting the rise of the "micro expansion" since AAA MMOs started going F2P. it simply makes more sense in the modern market