Taris: Six experience points? SIX?

WingsandRings

Background: I'm a jedi knight who went to Taris then Nar Shadaa then Tatooine. Although I'm basically a completionist, I like saving a couple quests in certain places so I can do some level grinding if need be. When I completed Taris, the "bonus" missions were given to me, and at the time, I moved on to Nar Shadaa and Tatooine.

When I hit Tatooine, I noticed I was struggling with some of the quests/fights, so I thought "perfect! I'll go level grind on Taris." But when I get back to Taris, I quickly realize I was getting no XP from fights, and quest completions consistently yielded 6 xp. SIX.

Was there a way to earn more xp on these quests? If I had stuck around instead of leaving Taris, would I have gotten more XP?

Oh my God...seriously?? How many levels over the planet do you have to be before you're deemed "overleveled?"

Six levels if memory serves me right. For example...

If a mission is based around level 22 and you're level 28, you should be fine. If you're already level 29 though, the quest is greyed out and you'll receive no XP, other than - most likely - the 6 XP you got from that quest.

Oh my God...seriously?? How many levels over the planet do you have to be before you're deemed "overleveled?"

Umm, did you seriously expect to still be able to get decent xp from farming mobs/doing quests well below your level?

• 1 year later...

NECROBUMP, because this is some of the most inane stupid thing I've seen in a MMO ever.

Giving a cut to XP, maybe 50% ? Sure, fine, but basically no XP at all?

Pardon my words, but that's ridiculously retarded.

I play an Imperial Agent and did Alderaan before Tatooine. I'm level 32 right now and already received several quests that were grey (25). My other quests are 26~27 right now, so I might end up not even getting any XP for doing them.

This is utterly bizarre.

Edited by Krabonq

If you do quests that are too easy for you, why should you get any experience?

That's not an argument at all.

90% of the normal quests are rather easy.

The drop from "getting adequate XP" to "getting no XP" is utterly arbitrary.

NECROBUMP, because this is some of the most inane stupid thing I've seen in a MMO ever.

Giving a cut to XP, maybe 50% ? Sure, fine, but basically no XP at all?

Pardon my words, but that's ridiculously retarded.

I play an Imperial Agent and did Alderaan before Tatooine. I'm level 32 right now and already received several quests that were grey (25). My other quests are 26~27 right now, so I might end up not even getting any XP for doing them.

This is utterly bizarre.

You did do the planets out of order.

Tatoonie is for levels 24-28 and Alderaan is 28-32.

You did do the planets out of order.

Tatoonie is for levels 24-28 and Alderaan is 28-32.

I know.

But this is the first MMO (and I've been playing them since EverQuest 1), where there is an artificial cut-off for quest XP.

That's not true, in SWG the XP decreased every time you level up, and if you were underleveled by a certain amount, you wouldn't get full XP either.

I also don't see what the problem with this is. So you ended up at lvl 32 after doing all planets in Chapter 1. Perfect, that's where you should be. There's no reason to allow you to overlevel this by 4 or more by doing the planets out of order.

That's not true, in SWG the XP decreased every time you level up, and if you were underleveled by a certain amount, you wouldn't get full XP either.

I also don't see what the problem with this is. So you ended up at lvl 32 after doing all planets in Chapter 1. Perfect, that's where you should be. There's no reason to allow you to overlevel this by 4 or more by doing the planets out of order.

The thing is, I don't see the point in giving you "6 XP".

It's like a humiliating thing or some crap.

I know XP is not everything, especially with a MMO like SWTOR, that actually has some interesting (class) quests, but then you might as well just give no XP at all or give out a warning.

I just don't understand why they wouldn't give you at least an acceptable amount of XP. Effectively what they're pushing you towards is ignoring content, because it's inefficient to complete.

But to be honest, I just wanted to vent my frustration.

Edited by Krabonq

I know.

But this is the first MMO (and I've been playing them since EverQuest 1), where there is an artificial cut-off for quest XP.

Congratulations, aside from EQ, you've managed to play all the non-mainstream MMOs then, because every damn MMO has XP cuts, unless level scaling is involved. It's to prevent power-leveling bots from grinding to level cap on slugs on Korriban.

Yeah, sucks when you don't know how to read mission levels, despite having played MMOs since EQ, but that's life for ya. You snooze, you lose.

Congratulations, aside from EQ, you've managed to play all the non-mainstream MMOs then, because every damn MMO has XP cuts, unless level scaling is involved. It's to prevent power-leveling bots from grinding to level cap on slugs on Korriban.

Yeah, sucks when you don't know how to read mission levels, despite having played MMOs since EQ, but that's life for ya. You snooze, you lose.

Nah, ya just wrong.

No MMO I am aware of has such an insane XP cut-off.

Nah, ya just wrong.

No MMO I am aware of has such an insane XP cut-off.

No he isn't wrong. You won't find any game that has an xp progression system that doesn't do this. As the other poster says, its to prevent power levelling by bots (or anyone else for that matter)

The thing is, I don't see the point in giving you "6 XP".

It's like a humiliating thing or some crap.

It is not to humiliate people. That right there shows you have no idea what you are talking about. It is a requirement of the way progression works on a technical level. It is coded in such a way that every mission must give some kind of xp reward. Doing otherwise would likely cause a null pointer exception, or a similar error if a mission completion was triggered without that required piece of data. Its likely right in the initialization section of the code. The way they chose to handle it was to add a tiny amount of xp points for those who have already outleveled the content

BS. Every game that has an xp progression system does this, and always has

No, it is a completely arbitrary choice.

No it isn't

That's not an argument at all.

90% of the normal quests are rather easy.

The drop from "getting adequate XP" to "getting no XP" is utterly arbitrary.

This can be seen also as a direct function of the fact that if a mob is -7 levels below you, they will not aggro and do almost zero damage to you if/when in combat.

Remember that exp. is actually an abbreviation for experience points. This severe cut in the experience is directly proportional to the experience gained from the action.

This can be seen also as a direct function of the fact that if a mob is -7 levels below you, they will not aggro and do almost zero damage to you if/when in combat.

Remember that exp. is actually an abbreviation for experience points. This severe cut in the experience is directly proportional to the experience gained from the action.

Wellllll. not to be nit-picky (as he proceeds to nit-pick), but that first part's technically not true. You can get a mob of any level to aggro on you if you stand near it long enough.

Pre-SoR, I was farming the old planetary comms on my 55 alts in an effort to gear them up before SoR (little did I know that they were just going to throw gear at us like it was going out of fashion), and I was doing this by farming low level heroics. My 55s could go to, say, Dromond Kaas and do that Area 4 there by running around and pulling practically every mob in the area just by running near them.

It can take some time, and you have to get up in their face, but they'll attack you if you stand there for long enough.

Oh, and 30+ Level 15 Champion mobs can actually dent a 55's HP. Not by much, but it did move. A little bit.

I felt like an old-time EQ raid boss, being attacked by 30 enemies, haha.

But on topic, yes, all MMOs have that cut off.

The OP claims he played classic EQ. Does he not remember that the /con of a mob would tell you whether or not you got exp for it? If the mob was green, no exp. And in EQ, a recently-green'd mob could still kill a player with ease... I don't know about quests. I never did many, and I only ever did them for the items. For a game called EverQuest, there was precious little questing in it.

Edited by Raphael_diSanto

• 3 months later...

Can I ask where you found 30+ LVL 15 Champions?

Also, -7 LVL Champions are friggin hard! Why should they be less? 7 levels IS arbitrary. It should be by challenge. And it actually is more to prevent camping by high levels.

Hey, dudes, look on the bright side!

Sure you get minimal experience for grey quests and zero experience for their mobs, but it could be worse.

In Allods Online, when you overlevel foes too much, you not only get no experience, but no drops either. No crappy low-level armour, no tiny parcels of money, and, perhaps more significantly, no lowbie crafting materials.

At least on SWTOR you can get the lowbie drops and acquire resources for that crew skill you've neglected.

Are the quests greyed out? If they are, then you are already overleveled and will receive no considerable XP unfortunately.

you only need to be 7 levels above the maximum regular level range on each planet and at that point you get nothing. if you are 6 levels above you get xp at a reduce rate for the mission.

only thing that you need to do is keep it around 5 levels above the mark with upgraded gear if you want, thats more then enough.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.