Comms cap way too LOW

IAAIAO

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

what about planetary coms?

Honestly, what about them? The only time I ever was over the cap was when I first went to Makeb and I was sitting at max cap, but couldn't buy any boxes until lvl 52 so all the comms I earned from 50-52 were wasted. Since then I haven't spent any.

As for earlier planets, I never had more than 40 comms at a time before I would go and upgrade my gear.

I don't understand the problem.

If the problem is that you're so much higher level than the planet you're on so that you want to buy from the next planet, but you're not there yet... so you're complaining you have to fly back to the Fleet then... it's not a real complaint, because beforehand you would have earned comms from the planet you are on - thus you'd be forced to buy from that planet. Now you have the option, instead of before 2.0 where you would have "leftover comms".

Please, explain to me the problem you're having where the current system is worse than the old system.

Honestly, what about them? The only time I ever was over the cap was when I first went to Makeb and I was sitting at max cap, but couldn't buy any boxes until lvl 52 so all the comms I earned from 50-52 were wasted. Since then I haven't spent any.

As for earlier planets, I never had more than 40 comms at a time before I would go and upgrade my gear.

If the problem is that you're so much higher level than the planet you're on so that you want to buy from the next planet, but you're not there yet... so you're complaining you have to fly back to the Fleet then... it's not a real complaint, because beforehand you would have earned comms from the planet you are on - thus you'd be forced to buy from that planet. Now you have the option, instead of before 2.0 where you would have "leftover comms".

Please, explain to me the problem you're having where the current system is worse than the old system.

Not everyone is like you though. Just yesterday I blew 97 points to upgrade all my gear (Don't ask how I got that many, I dont know) and that was just my own toon. If I had outfitted my companion with slotted gear, I could have spent twice that.

planetary comms don't have a weekly limit do they?

the problem isn't the storage cap, it's the earning cap.

For some it's a real problem that there is a storage cap, particularly since you are no longer able to buy gear above your level. Because not everyone is above level when earning planetary comms, in the later (non-makeb) planets I'm usually under level.

Edited by GadgetDon

Not everyone is like you though. Just yesterday I blew 97 points to upgrade all my gear (Don't ask how I got that many, I dont know) and that was just my own toon. If I had outfitted my companion with slotted gear, I could have spent twice that.

97 what? Planetary comms? If so, what's the big deal? You earn 48, you go and gear yourself. You earn another 49 and go gear yourself some more... thus, it's the same thing except you can't horde all 97 at once. Since planetary comms have no weekly cap I don't see the problem.

Now, are you talking about classic comm cap? For one thing, they said they're removing the cap. Secondly, you didn't hit the cap. Thirdly, are you doing things to earn more than you can due to weekly cap?

I'm still confused one what people are complaining about.

For some it's a real problem that there is a storage cap, particularly since you are no longer able to buy gear above your level. Because not everyone is above level when earning planetary comms, in the later (non-makeb) planets I'm usually under level.

If you are that far under level for a planet, then you're doing it wrong. Besides, at the end of a planet you should be able to buy from that planet now, thus you're 50 went down to 0 and so when you go to the next planet you're free to earn comms back to 50.

Are you afraid you'll still be under level to buy the mods from that new planet you're on even though you started at 0 comms? If so, then I repeat, "you're doing it wrong."

If you are that far under level for a planet, then you're doing it wrong. Besides, at the end of a planet you should be able to buy from that planet now, thus you're 50 went down to 0 and so when you go to the next planet you're free to earn comms back to 50.

I'm "doing it wrong", by that I presume you mean I'm not doing lots of flashpoints, lots of heroics, and other teaming missions. My life is such that I don't team that much, because it's hard to guarantee a couple hours uninterrupted time. Nor do I obsessively do every bonus mission, hunt out every side mission, hit every lore point, etc. Fortunately, pre 2.0, I was able to cope reasonably well. It didn't matter that I was still a level or two short of being able to buy the good gear from that planet, I'd just buy it and store it until I could use it.

Are you afraid you'll still be under level to buy the mods from that new planet you're on even though you started at 0 comms? If so, then I repeat, "you're doing it wrong."

So I've left Quesh with 50 planetary commendations still unspent because I'm under the level for the good gear at Quesh. I arrive on Voss - and do a few arcs to finally level up so I can use the good gear I could have bought on Question and spend the account down to zero. Except those arcs I did on Voss, the planetary commendation rewards from them are lost because I was capped out.

I get it. Your playstyle, both the way you like to play and your ability to have uninterrupted time for team play, is such that being under level is not an issue. Congratulations. I'm sure you enjoy your playstyle, and I'm happy the system works for you. But my playstyle is different. Not wrong, different. Which means that being under level is an issue. And the system doesn't work for me.

Dude, last week I played a Republic character through Taris. Before I was even to the Bonus Series I already had over 60 Taris comms and was overleveled for the planet and the gear they had available. So, I saved the comms until the end of the Bonus series, finishing with a total of 78 comms with which I purchased 2 purple prototype boxes to chance for modable gear and some armoring and mods for my companion. If I was to do that today I would be getting nothing for the entire Bonus series because I would have reached the cap before I even started it.

If I can that easily outpace the cap then there is something wrong. The cap is too low.

:cool:

Edited by Blackavaar

Dude, last week I played a Republic character through Taris. Before I was even to the Bonus Series I already had over 60 Taris comms and was overleveled for the planet and the gear they had available. So, I saved the comms until the end of the Bonus series, finishing with a total of 78 comms with which I purchased 2 purple prototype boxes to chance for modable gear and some armoring and mods for my companion. If I was to do that today I would be getting nothing for the entire Bonus series because I would have reached the cap before I even started it.

If I can that easily outpace the cap then there is something wrong. The cap is too low.

:cool:

So buy a box before you do the bonus series and then one afterwards. :confused:

97 what? Planetary comms? If so, what's the big deal? You earn 48, you go and gear yourself. You earn another 49 and go gear yourself some more... thus, it's the same thing except you can't horde all 97 at once. Since planetary comms have no weekly cap I don't see the problem.

Now, are you talking about classic comm cap? For one thing, they said they're removing the cap. Secondly, you didn't hit the cap. Thirdly, are you doing things to earn more than you can due to weekly cap?

I'm still confused one what people are complaining about.

Sorry, Planetary comms. The issue with me is that nickle and diming my upgrading and having to run back to fleet 3-4 times on each planet is a pain. The way I do things now is to go to a planet, do all the quest and bonus quests, then, when I'm totally done on a planet, head to fleet and equip for the next planet, rinse and repeat. Going back to fleet is no small task. It takes a LOT of load screens and travel time, each way, and navigating through a ginormous fleet station that is over crowded and has a seriously reduced frame rate due to all of the lag. It's a mess that I really don't look forward to having to do several times each planet quest arc. I can barely tolerate it once each time.

So yes, 50 is rediculously low. 100 only barely enough if you don't have any slots on your companion gear. I want to get a set of slotted armor from the Cartel Market for my companion, but if I do that, then the limit would need to be closer to 200. In a very real sense, BW is losing money by not having a reasonable limit.....

So buy gear for your current level and earn some more comms. By the time you level up you'll have enough to buy more goodies.

Storage cap is a minor inconvenience, but having it there encourages people to spend.

Hard earning cap penalises players by removing reward altogether, it's entirely different.

So buy gear for your current level and earn some more comms. By the time you level up you'll have enough to buy more goodies.

Storage cap is a minor inconvenience, but having it there encourages people to spend.

Hard earning cap penalises players by removing reward altogether, it's entirely different.

I don't want to spend. I don't like shopping for mods in game. If I could get gear at level 1 that improves with me as I level, I'd be most happy.

But pre-2.0 gear was a happy medium. Get gear with mods, and at the end of every planet, buy mods to boost your gear for the next planet. Gear hunting at low enough level not to be a pain, you take care of it when the planet is over, a natural stopping point. That's one of the things that had me pick SWTOR from other MMOs I was looking at.

If SWTOR is going to be a traditional "goal of the game is to hunt for the gear" MMO, then I'll go looking again.

I don't want to spend. I don't like shopping for mods in game. If I could get gear at level 1 that improves with me as I level, I'd be most happy.

But pre-2.0 gear was a happy medium. Get gear with mods, and at the end of every planet, buy mods to boost your gear for the next planet. Gear hunting at low enough level not to be a pain, you take care of it when the planet is over, a natural stopping point. That's one of the things that had me pick SWTOR from other MMOs I was looking at.

If SWTOR is going to be a traditional "goal of the game is to hunt for the gear" MMO, then I'll go looking again.

I'm sorry, but I'm missing your point. If you don't want to spend, what's the problem? If you do want to spend, you have to spend a bit more often, but it's still better that if you outlevel the planet you're on, the comms you're earning are still useful. They should at least raise the cap to a point where you can fully upgrade one character though

They need to release the cap tonight if possible for Classic Coms. It is really preventing me from gearing up before Sunday on my characters. Why is it they always have to take the servers down and patch to do a mundain thing like releasing a cap that shouldn't have been put in place from the get go? Why do they always have to take the server down to update the Cartel Market with price changes. Really doesn't make freakin sense to me.

the issue is that there's both a normal cap AND level restriction. I cannot pre-purchase upgrades, not even one level above the character. (for example - Nar Shadaa has upgrades level 21 and 23. I personally prefer to buy lvl 23 upgrades, fro me AND companion because I tend to get off the planet at around lvl 24 - but if I hit cap at lvl 21, I'm now forced to spend on coms that depreciate as soon as I bought them) I have to either stop earning them, or purchase mods that are useless to the character that I'm leveling. sure I can sell them on GTN. but this is not what I prefer using planetary coms for. I prefer to actually, you know - upgrade my character. either way results in eventual falling behind on upgrades. either remove the cap, or remove level restriction. at a minimum.

not to mention - you do need more than 50 to gear a single character, you need a LOT more then that if you start gearing companion. which basically means that at lvl 50 - I cannot buy my starter 25 gear, I now have to grind to get extras before moving on to Makeb, level up some or deal with content that has more challenge to it that I personally prefer. or spend credits. and some of us are bad at making credits.

honestly - planetary coms are not that much different from classic coms. they buy LEVELING/STARTER gear so why exactly should they be so severely restricted?

Edited by Jeweledleah

Eh for sure there will be less trafic on servers , and it will take longer to min max , but i don't think it's worth it to wait like a months to get a set , well it is less enjoyable as you put it :D

Gear up an alt, the caps are not per account so you can earn just as many comms on another character.

i think the point is that they want you to spend them, not have them sitting in your inventory doing nothing

then let me spend them? don't restrict me from spending them just because I'm one/two/three levels below the upgrades I actually need?

right now we're basically told - we want you to spend your coms, but you don't really get as much say in how. you cannot save up coms to upgrade as you leave the planet. and you cannot spend them on gear that might actually be an upgrade, you have to spend down. oh and even if you are on the other side of the planet questing away, unless you want to stop earning coms, you may have to go back to the fleet to spend some of them, because you cannot even buy from planetary vendors because you are still too low level to buy the stuff their sell...

forget just smoothly going along finishing your quests.

I was just about to pop into this thread and point you all to Jesse's post. :) skitzogreg beat me to it. But yes, we're removing the cap.

Cool, now when are you going to raise or remove the LOW Cap on the Planetary Commendations?

then let me spend them? don't restrict me from spending them just because I'm one/two/three levels below the upgrades I actually need?

right now we're basically told - we want you to spend your coms, but you don't really get as much say in how. you cannot save up coms to upgrade as you leave the planet. and you cannot spend them on gear that might actually be an upgrade, you have to spend down. oh and even if you are on the other side of the planet questing away, unless you want to stop earning coms, you may have to go back to the fleet to spend some of them, because you cannot even buy from planetary vendors because you are still too low level to buy the stuff their sell...

+1 to all of this.

As it stands, I'll play EAWare's stupid little comm-limit game on one character. To 55, max her out, get her all the goodies playing by their rules. After that, I'll do lots of low-level planet quests and get inserts for all my other toons - using their rules, of course. When I have all of the alts banked up with good inserts for their armor and weapons, I'll barrel through the content with them, using comms only for earpieces and implants. Sod EAWare and their restrictions.

i think we're talking about different things here. you're talking about the fact that you can't buy items above your level, which is different than having a limit. they can't just let you buy any old thing because then a level 10 could go and purchase level 50 mods and make more money than they're actually meant to be able to. it's a drawback to being able to spend comms you earn on one planet on a higher level planet if you're a slightly higher level than you're meant to be.

truth is though, planetary comms are easy to earn, if you're 2 or 3 levels below the mod you want to buy, just buy one for your own level then by the time you hit your desired level, chances are you'll have enough to buy more