Comms cap way too LOW

IAAIAO

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a subscriber, there shouldn't be a cap, either on how much you can earn in a week or how much you can hold onto. The point of being a subscriber is to play the way you want to. The fact that the caps are insanely low makes it unworkable, but the caps simply shouldn't be there at all.

...at the very least , just with the unassembled items i have 2 week worth of comm waiting in my inventory even without farming to get them. the pre 2.0 amount was good , subscribers had their little bonus and it was fine like that IMO , didn't need to worry about comms dissapearing in the void or something :(

Edit :

I would say 400. It allows you to get two major pieces a week.

well i think the cap for subs should not dictate our way of playing , the post just above me got my support :p

Edited by dark-jehts

As a subscriber, there shouldn't be a cap, either on how much you can earn in a week or how much you can hold onto. The point of being a subscriber is to play the way you want to. The fact that the caps are insanely low makes it unworkable, but the caps simply shouldn't be there at all.

Ya I agree, it says something if you're willing to give $15/month as opposed to playing for free. Why restrict us on something like that, doesn't matter how fast I get the gear I'd still continue to sub :mad:

This. I dont see why we need total caps. Weekly caps, ok, maybe, but there is no reason to put on a total cap in there as well. I lost TONNES of commendations in this patch (of all types) because I exceed all the new caps.

That sucks, especially since there is no good argument for them. EA is turning into the Apple of the MMO world - they want to control everything about how their product is "enjoyed".

Edited by Asavrede

I don't understand the game design reasoning behind the earnings and total cap. That is, if your goal is to make an enjoyable game.

If your goal is to get players to subscribe for longer (it takes longer to min-max) while reducing server demand (less hours played per week) then it is an ingenious idea. Well played.

Can anyone think of a good reason for the caps besides this pessimistic view I hope isn't true?

I don't understand the game design reasoning behind the earnings and total cap. That is, if your goal is to make an enjoyable game.

If your goal is to get players to subscribe for longer (it takes longer to min-max) while reducing server demand (less hours played per week) then it is an ingenious idea. Well played.

Can anyone think of a good reason for the caps besides this pessimistic view I hope isn't true?

I'll explain it for you.

Back when TOR first launched, they assumed that the players would take months to burn through end-game content. They figured players would play a few hours a day, and it would take them a while to get geared up for Raiding and burning through Raid content.

They were shocked to find players burning through their content in a matter of weeks, not months. And they had nothing left to offer them. So, frustrated, the players left the game in droves. That 'rush rush rush consume bored quit' syndrome that drove those players to quit playing nearly killed the game.

Now, they've set up barriers to forward progression. You're not going to be able to power-rush to 55 and power-rush a set of starter gear for Raiding in the first week. It's going to take you a while. They're pacing the players' progression deliberately so that they can't burn through 55 content as fast as they did 50 content.

I hope that helped explain it sufficiently.

Eh for sure there will be less trafic on servers , and it will take longer to min max , but i don't think it's worth it to wait like a months to get a set , well it is less enjoyable as you put it :D

Edit :

what he said

Well sure it stop us from "power leveling" as you say but it seems weird anyway to punish player for ... playing the game

Edited by dark-jehts

I'll explain it for you.

Back when TOR first launched, they assumed that the players would take months to burn through end-game content. They figured players would play a few hours a day, and it would take them a while to get geared up for Raiding and burning through Raid content.

They were shocked to find players burning through their content in a matter of weeks, not months. And they had nothing left to offer them. So, frustrated, the players left the game in droves. That 'rush rush rush consume bored quit' syndrome that drove those players to quit playing nearly killed the game.

Now, they've set up barriers to forward progression. You're not going to be able to power-rush to 55 and power-rush a set of starter gear for Raiding in the first week. It's going to take you a while. They're pacing the players' progression deliberately so that they can't burn through 55 content as fast as they did 50 content.

I hope that helped explain it sufficiently.

IT'S CLASSIC COMMS! IT'S NOT EVEN END-GAME!!

If that's their reasoning then they're on a new level of incompetence/retardation!

IT'S CLASSIC COMMS! IT'S NOT EVEN END-GAME!!

If that's their reasoning then they're on a new level of incompetence/retardation!

That , it's just a bit of gear to level up a bit easier and you can't get it without waiting a month or so , yay great , but as i said even end game comms should not be capped we sub for something no?

Yes this makes sense. Since it's a subscription based game it is in their best interest to stretch out the content as much as possible. That said I wouldn't mind paying twice the subscription price to burn through the content twice as quickly, stop playing and then return when the next big patch is released but that isn't really a viable pricing model. All the pessimism aside I still think TOR is an excellent game and well worth the subscription price. A month of game play and many hours for the same price as I would pay for a cocktail, you can't argue with that.

As for classic comms, well they're pretty much useless now. Has anyone else noticed the new Makeb comms vendor? He sells gear that is just as good as the campaign gear for planetary comms which are a dime a dozen now and all the comms you saved up leveling should be more than enough to get you through to 55 while saving all your basic comms.

What can you actually buy with them that's any use?

The vendor I saw was selling 25s when all my stuff is 26-27 anyway O_o

Or was that basic comms?

classic comms buy gears with 61 mods (not sure 'bout the name :D) i which can fill bad old low end game tier gears like tionese/columni

It is low, but you can do it on multiple characters. So cap one, move to the next character and cap that.

I understand , but that include the fact that you have many 50 characters (which i do not have :( )

classic comms buy gears with 61 mods (not sure 'bout the name :D) i which can fill bad old low end game tier gears like tionese/columni

I understand , but that include the fact that you have many 50 characters (which i do not have :( )

It's perfect for people like me. I hit 50 with my Sniper about a week before 2.0. I had the Tionese set with Recruit offset pieces, only.

So, it felt nice to see really nice upgrades for Classic Comms. I'll get my 200 for the week and then use Makeb mods to make up the rest. They're 140 instead of 146, but that's not 'that' big of a difference.

I have 2 level 50 character, both who got there in the past month thanks to the 2x xp weekends.

On my assassin I have 4 pieces of gear I've got from flashpoints (chest, legs, earpiece, and helm) and one (offhand) that I've bought with commendations.

As I see it the current best way for the level 50 character to gear up is to run hard mode flashpoints over and over for the new drops, it's especially good if you are a tank. Then use commendations to fill in pieces. The flashpoint gear has similar stats to the commendation gear, but lacks any set bonus.

My thought is that since Classic Comms buys what really amounts to leveling gear, there should be no limit on how fast you can EARN it (note the emphasis on "earn"). Since the useful life of the gear is really just until a toon reaches level 55 and begins the process of assembling the new level 55 gear. Placing an arbitrary, and ridiculously low, cap on Classic Comms just discourages continued play. By the time a character can accrue enough Comms to buy the gear they want, they'll have out leveled its usefulness.

Posted about this in another thread this morning. To answer your question, I feel like the folks that made this call either 1) brain farted and accidentally overlooked the many ways of earning comms, along with the typical comm income of your average subscriber, or 2) purposefully modeled it assuming everyone will level at the pace of a f2p'er...whether they are f2p or not.

1 I can deal with, mistakes happen, oversight happens, that can be fixed. If 2 though, it's an artificial bottleneck, seems shady, and is one of the many strong reasons I left WoW for TOR to begin with.

We as players like to complain about content coming out too slowly, or being bored, or whatever. This is the MMO genre and that's how MMO players think... you will lose a few subs due to lack of content if it takes too long sure. But don't create poorly implemented restrictions on how quickly one can gear up to conquer the content as if we're all magically going to alter our preferred pace of gaming and not notice the wasted rewards.

I don't mean to sound rude or whiny, but again having waste/futility designed into the game as part of the status quo is something that irritates me to no end & why I left WoW / Aion, and I know many others agree. If this is a move they were just trying out and will tweak in the future, I will be happy to see it improved quickly, but they need to listen to the suggestions here on the boards as pretty much nobody is okay with it.

EDIT: Good to see the classic coms are being uncapped, but the same should happen with planetary comms as well. If not uncapped, the cap should be increased, or allow the purchase of gear higher than one's current level. Lots of comm waste!

Edited by Astygia