The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Odd play from EA

Carousel_t

Again EA amazes me..

There were times when I've scratched my head and said to myself "why the hell did they do that?" Like when they've removed taxi from Denova's firebrand and stormcaller EA1: "hey, lets make them run all the way up here!" EA2: "holy dang, i knew there was something more important than fixing bugs to do today!"

And now, they've amazed me again. They've brought RotHC on live.. Now I've thought, alright, so I haven't been able to pre-order till 7th of Jan, big deal? I'll play previous content, finish story on my Jugg, level up to 55 and just wait for the new planet to be open right? Wrong! Not only I don't have access to the new content (that's fine, I was prepared) but I also can't level up my character or my crew skills either..

Since when are character level or crew skills (crafting for example) content-bound?

Edited by Carousel_t

Since when are character level or crew skills (crafting for example) content-bound?

Hmm, every MMO expansion ever? At least I can't think of one where they let you keep leveling your character or craftingskills without getting the expansion.

Edited by Leonick

Actually, I agree with the OP here.

This is a very strange play.

I was also unable to pre-order before 7 Jan, and when I log in I can see nothing of the new content.

I fully understand not being able to go to Makeb, or even not being able to level up to 55, or even not being able to level my crewskills, however, I find it very strange that I cannot even SEE any of the new things, like the recipes up to the new crewskill level cap, or the new skill trees/abilities.

People keep asking me, "Hey, what do you think of this...?" etc, because they know I've had the expansion purchased for a while now and I keep having to reply with, "I have no idea, I can't even see it...".

It seems very strange to basically have players running around with two different UI views, one old, one new. I would think it would have been much more streamlined even for Bioware to put it ALL in at once and then restrict access, (like every other MMO).

For example, WoW. My friend recently resubbed to WoW. He DID NOT have Pandaria purchased, yet he could still see all the new talents/abilities/restructure his character the SAME way that someone who DID have Pandaria could do. He could level his character to 90 even if he wanted to, all WITHOUT having ever purchased Pandaria.

Pretty much the only things he CAN'T do are make a panda/monk character, and/or go to Pandaria/the new areas.

So to say that 'every mmo ever' does this would be entirely incorrect.

This decision to break things up this way seems very strange, and disappointed to those people who DID pre-order, just not by some arbitrary date. Personally I think that ALL paying subscribers, especially those who have played since launch and never un-subbed, should have access to the early start.

But that's just me...

I'll agree that it's strange that you can even see the new schematics, obviously you should still be able to see them on the trainer.

As for your mists of Pandaria example, you can't get past lvl 85 (assuming you have all the other expansions just not MoP) or any of the new crafting there without the expansion either.

The fact that you can't level your character and crew skills without the xpac are pretty standard.

I was more surprised at other seemingly random changes associated to 2.0. The one that irked me the most was removing the option from the shuttles on Black Hole and Section X to travel between the daily zones. It was fast and extremely convenient. They removed that option in favor of "priority transport" terminals in space docks and on the fleet. That change alone now takes an additional 5 minutes travel time for each zone. WHY? :rak_02:

Also, I pre-ordered the xpac but not in time for early access. But from what I'm being told by guildies, you have to pay credits to UNLOCK the ability to level your crew skills? Again, WHY? That doesn't even make sense. If you paid for the xpac, why are you paying in-game money to then unlock the ABILITY to level your crew skills? :rak_02:

Edited by TrickyNinja

Also, I pre-ordered the xpac but not in time for early access. But from what I'm being told by guildies, you have to pay credits to UNLOCK the ability to level your crew skills? Again, WHY? That doesn't even make sense. If you paid for the xpac, why are you paying in-game money to then unlock the ABILITY to level your crew skills? :rak_02:

This is true. 10k to unlock the next levels of crafting. I agree, this was a move which I find confusing, as well. I've bought the expansion, I'm going to have to buy the new schematics, I've never had to pay credits to unlock, say, 300-400, so why charge me? This release is full of questionable moves like this one.

Every complaint I've seen is an MMO Standard.

Leveling and crafting levels are always tied to the new expansion. Many, MANY MMO's charge you to increase your crew skill/profession ranks.

They gave you a solid date to pre-order by, and you did not.

I was more surprised at other seemingly random changes associated to 2.0. The one that irked me the most was removing the option from the shuttles on Black Hole and Section X to travel between the daily zones. It was fast and extremely convenient. They removed that option in favor of "priority transport" terminals in space docks and on the fleet. That change alone now takes an additional 5 minutes travel time for each zone. WHY? :rak_02:

I missed this until it was pointed out to me last night, but the priority transport terminals also exist next to the shuttles in the daily areas.

So I was able to use my Legacy transport to Black Hole, run the dailies there, click on the transport terminal just to the left of the shuttle, and go straight to Section X, etc. etc.

Really, this is what you choose to complain about not having access to an expansion before it is released because you didn't pre-order. Fact the expansion releases on the 14th till then the only people that will have access to the things from the expansion will be who?? the people that pre-ordered that's who and that's how it works. Never have I been in a MMO that I expected to have access to an expansion or any of it's components if I did not order it and only on the day It released for me to have access did I think I would see them. You want to complain about something complain about a release then a patch the next day and servers down the next. Well the patch I guess I did see comin, lol.

My 13yr old didn't know that I pre-ordered it for him and didn't expect to see any of it till the 18th on his birthday.

Pretty sad the I want it now generation is.

And now the servers are down completely. I'm not surprised but was not expecting it to happen until Sunday.

I imagine these "high capacity servers" are really virtual servers, so if there is Heavy population in many at once it falls over. They should have either reduced the server numbers OR introduced F2P. Not both like they did. Now with the new content and the old guard coming back, surprise surprise, it can't handle it.

I missed this until it was pointed out to me last night, but the priority transport terminals also exist next to the shuttles in the daily areas.

So I was able to use my Legacy transport to Black Hole, run the dailies there, click on the transport terminal just to the left of the shuttle, and go straight to Section X, etc. etc.

Check near your Hangar on the fleet, there is a priority transport to Makeb, Ilum, Section X and Belsavis.