Merc/Commando pvp in 2.0?

ThemisBlackheart

Soooo many people want to just spam Grav Round, and be the best....

This. Still seeing a bunch of mercs/mandos derping around.

Which is fine, maybe it will lower our meta averages ;)

Merc also has a kinda high skill cap. It doesn't take much to do okay-ish with it, but to actually beat anyone else you have to elevate your game.

How about I share one of my experiences, hm?

Keep in mind the bolster system as I tell my tale:

I don't have the expansion so I'm stuck at 50 until sunday, remember that as well.

Last night I thought I would do some PvP to see how commandos got buffed. I was in WH/campaign gear, had ~1300 expertise and just about 1900 aim sitting at 21k health. I was solo guarding a node in Hypergates when an assassin decides to mez me and start capping. I use my stun breaker and interrupt, he stealths and mezzes me again putting me at full resolve. He pops out again, I have no stun breaker and he caps just before I can shoot him. I pop 2x tech override and Hold the Line, 2 gravs in him and a demo as well as HIB. Now I pop my diversion on instinct w/ decoy right before his fully buffed Shock comes in (he's a deception spec). That blocked half of his burst. By now he'd caught up with me and was slashing my face off with his double-lightsaber. I cryo-grenade him and cast another grav to finish him off.

I forgot to mention earlier that he was in full WH/EWH but I feel that's irrelevant due to bolster. I didn't have to and actually forgot all of my cooldowns except Diversion in panic mode. Here's the spec I was running: http://pts.swtor-spy.com/skill-tree-calculator/commando/223/?build=000000000000000000000000000000000223023202120012011103220230001003000000000000000000000000000000&ver=20

Edited by gluefoot

Yea merc is very good now, u can kite/escape and u have tools to kill fast, still we see how this will look at lvl 55 pvp, telekinetic sages killing faster than merc if not touched and to be honest they hard to kill, same snipers, high damage,i dont think merc is special in this group, and honestly i give a crap about warriors and assasins :)

I keep hearing about some big buff we are getting but when I look all I see is a minor fix to issues that should not have been there and still no real utility.

Am I missing something? Will mercs/commandos finally be viable in pvp? Or will BW leave us hanging AGAIN?

This is not some QQ FIX US thread. This is a legit question.

I haven't played for several months but I played last night and let me tell you I see a big difference in DPS. I almost racked up 500K DPS solo playing in Two Huttball matches. I will be renewing my sub again plus I like the pvp mods they added.

And had several great one on one matches that I won or was very close.

I haven't played for several months but I played last night and let me tell you I see a big difference in DPS. I almost racked up 500K DPS solo playing in Two Huttball matches. I will be renewing my sub again plus I like the pvp mods they added.

regarding huttball, merc is now a bosstacular ball carrier.

mega-AOE knockback on short cooldown? check

short term mobile healing ability? check.

speed boost + root/slow/knockback/pull immunity? check

i scored 4/6 goals in a game last night. its not as effective as classes w/ real gap closers, but you arent forced anymore to just sit your butt at mid cuz you cant do anything else.

thats funny i got 550k on my lv12 merc at voidstar. probally had something to do with the bolster... i did have around 200-300k higher dmg than everyone else in the match tho Lol.

Edited by MarkXXIV

Mercs only issue was a slight lack of dps and lack of a slowing ability, now they are in a good place.

I've found that merc was the easiest class to top damage lists with and I've tried out all specs of operative, guardian, shadow and sorc in 2.0 for several matches each. You just find a nice spot and sit there spamming and if a melee decides to come for you damage is so high at the moment that by the time they get back after the knockback they are low enough to face tank unless they pop defensive cool downs, in which case you pop electronet and kite them out.

If everything crits you can almost gib a squishy WHILE RUNNING by doing 2x instant cast tracer, heat seeker, railshot and sticky grenade.

Edited by shucksy

It's great to finally be able to participate fully in WZs with my Commando. I feel like a contributing member of the team. My Gunnery Commando is actually successfully carrying the ball to the endzone at a decent rate....and getting MVP'd :eek: ...MVP'd in HUTTBALL! Edited by klham

regarding huttball, merc is now a bosstacular ball carrier.

mega-AOE knockback on short cooldown? check

short term mobile healing ability? check.

i scored 4/6 goals in a game last night. its not as effective as classes w/ real gap closers, but you arent forced anymore to just sit your butt at mid cuz you cant do anything else.

Sounds like I have some relearning to do.

Hows bodyguard doing? I still am thinking about making my merc my main just due to the options of DPS or healing.

One thing that I noticed since Tuesday is that hold the line doesn't appear to be giving my Commando the speed boost, but I was getting the other aspects. I've tried it both in & out of combat, in PvP & PvE & my speed doesn't appear to be increasing (in terms of how fast I'm moving past stuff).

Has anyone else noticed this or is it just me?

One thing that I noticed since Tuesday is that hold the line doesn't appear to be giving my Commando the speed boost, but I was getting the other aspects. I've tried it both in & out of combat, in PvP & PvE & my speed doesn't appear to be increasing (in terms of how fast I'm moving past stuff).

Sounds like a l2 play issue.

Out of combat it won't give you increased speed because it gives the same boost as sprint and the game only ever takes the highest speed boost present. They don't stack. In PVE combat it's DEFINITELY granting the speed boost. Had several opportunities to test it last night. Haven't PVP'd on my commando yet but I'll let you know if it works in warzones, but I expect it will.

Sounds like a l2 play issue.

Archangel's was a much nicer way of saying this (even if it is true ;))...

Out of combat it won't give you increased speed because it gives the same boost as sprint and the game only ever takes the highest speed boost present. They don't stack. In PVE combat it's DEFINITELY granting the speed boost. Had several opportunities to test it last night. Haven't PVP'd on my commando yet but I'll let you know if it works in warzones, but I expect it will.

I hadn't noticed that it was a relatively small amount (despite it saying so in the tooltip) & TBH, I don't really notice the speed increase (either in-combat or out of combat with sprint off).

They still suck don't let the bolster go to your heads please. Just going to make that *back to reality moment hurt even more.

and no im not QQing about mercenaries/mandos they honestly still stink when compared with the other buffs that classes got.

They still suck don't let the bolster go to your heads please. Just going to make that *back to reality moment hurt even more.

and no im not QQing about mercenaries/mandos they honestly still stink when compared with the other buffs that classes got.

yes this is true. but that fact hasnt stopped me before

The only issue i have is lolsmash 4k zealous leap seriously? Also maul spamming hero's, people who say merc can just tracer at least you can interrupt and it cannot churn it 6k mauls next joke. But all in all i like the buffs getting used to having some utility on it not used to utilities on a merc and having survivability as arsenal and i am loving all the fail melee giving up when i strafe and kite.