Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Groups should not be allowed in Random Warzones

IndridX

Organized groups that queue against randomly assembled players creates scenarios where the coordinated group has an unfair advantage. In my opinion, it goes against the spirit and integrity of 'random' pvp. A normal warzone queue should be for players who jump in and play against other players in a similar situation. Random warzones should not be a place where organized groups can come in and stomp pugs for easy comms. I believe that this kind of queuing drives people away from pvp. Some people who play and see they are against premade groups simply quit right off the bat, while others like me suffer through it. I understand that people can only queue in groups of 4. Regardless, the place for organized groups to pvp should be rated warzones against other organized groups, not against pugs. I think playing with friends is fun and important, but it shouldn't come at the expense of the spirit of the game nor the fun of others.

EDIT: I've taken heat for not providing any solutions to the problem. To be clear, my solution is directly in the thread title. Take Groups out of Warzones that randomly assemble players. To balance it, I would like to see Bioware include more content for group players. (ie 2v2, 4v4, so on and so forth). Maybe even include a different Warzone queue only for solo players at the cost of slightly reduced comms and valor. The list goes on of the potential things Bioware could do.

Edited by IndridX

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sure this has been brought up before, but I would just like to throw in my thoughts and see what the community thinks. I believe this to be a very serious issue that Bioware ought to address....

Organized groups that queue against randomly assembled players creates scenarios where the coordinated group has an unfair advantage. In my opinion, it goes against the spirit and integrity of 'random' pvp. A normal warzone queue should be for players who jump in and play against other players in a similar situation. Random warzones should not be a place where organized groups can come in and stomp pugs for easy comms. I believe that this kind of queuing drives people away from pvp. Some people who play and see they are against premade groups simply quit right off the bat, while others like me suffer through it. I understand that people can only queue in groups of 4. Regardless, the place for organized groups to pvp should be rated warzones against other organized groups, not against pugs.

we all know that almost 1 year ... but BW dont want change it ... so it seems you have to play another game ...

All i am going to say is what about us players who play with 1 friend should we be penalized stopping friends playing together i feel would have a negative impact. I for one have been playing with 1 irl friend for a number of years if we could only pvp in ranked or against other premades i would quit.

All i am going to say is what about us players who play with 1 friend should we be penalized stopping friends playing together i feel would have a negative impact. I for one have been playing with 1 irl friend for a number of years if we could only pvp in ranked or against other premades i would quit.
I don't feel ANY groups should be allowed in random warzones. No matter what the number is. Playing with friends is important and fun as hell, but I've seen too many times where that "fun" comes at the expense of the spirit of the game and/or fun other players have.

They could mitigate the pain significantly with an organized queue system. Simply ensure that whatever the match up is for one side, the other side also gets the same matchup. Also ensure that the gap between group sizes are not sufficiently large.... ie don't queue 4's with 2's and 1's.

That is,

4/4 is queued against 4/4

3/3/2 against 3/3/2

2/2/2/2 against 2/2/2/2

2's and 1's can be queued together vs other 2's and 1's

Cross server queues would go a long way in alleviating any numbers issues encountered. Some kind of an individual rating system would also be great but I think it would probably cause a lot of headaches.

Yes, the good of the many outweighs the good of the few....

One of the fun parts of group PvP is to actually play with friends and work as a team while facing nice opposition. Oh, my guild would love to do ranked WZs; there's just the problem that no one else on our server wants to do ranked WZs (apart from the occasional PuGs that are as good as your usual normal WZs).

Anyway, I'm totally for the idea of modifying the queue system like JackNader suggests. This would have the potential of granting more even and fun games. Steamrolling a group of randoms is not fun. Me and my friends queue as a group in the hope that in some of those games we'll get competitive opposition.

I do queue solo as well, and I'm familiar with the feeling when coming up against a double premade while getting with recruit gear (or less) randoms on my team. Being steamrolled is not fun either, obviously, but the blame is not with he players that group up together, but with the whole queue system in this game (see cross server PvP).

Edited by Neulwen

I'm sure this has been brought up before, but I would just like to throw in my thoughts and see what the community thinks. I believe this to be a very serious issue that Bioware ought to address....

Organized groups that queue against randomly assembled players creates scenarios where the coordinated group has an unfair advantage. In my opinion, it goes against the spirit and integrity of 'random' pvp. A normal warzone queue should be for players who jump in and play against other players in a similar situation. Random warzones should not be a place where organized groups can come in and stomp pugs for easy comms. I believe that this kind of queuing drives people away from pvp. Some people who play and see they are against premade groups simply quit right off the bat, while others like me suffer through it. I understand that people can only queue in groups of 4. Regardless, the place for organized groups to pvp should be rated warzones against other organized groups, not against pugs.

I gotta heck of an idea, if you pvp, join a pvp guild and find ppl to group with instead of being an emo loner, and if you do randoms, accept the consequences. The thought of not allowing guild mates to grp for randoms is senile. JOIN A GUILD.

I don't feel ANY groups should be allowed in random warzones. No matter what the number is. Playing with friends is important and fun as hell, but I've seen too many times where that "fun" comes at the expense of the spirit of the game and/or fun other players have.

true ...we could still play with friends as a premade against another premade grps, whats wrong?

I play a lot of FPS, these are full of teams that communicate and are organised, they are still beatable.

I agree that voice communication helps with defending, but understanding the objectives and working with the group your in can be just as effective. Just because they are "premade" does not mean they all know their class or work well as group.

The simple fact is that if you can't play then you will lose, but if your in a team of players who all know how to play, there is a great chance your going to win.

The problem is people who queue Solo generally play Solo, if your a DPS who is trying to solo an enemy then you deserve the "idiot" and "moron" from the rage'r . WZ is a Team game and you should play it with a team mentality if you understand your role in that team and play it, then the team is enhanced by your participation.

If I play Football on the weekend (Soccer for the US, not the girly rugby you play in body armour!) with people I don't normally play with we can still win as we all know our positions.

FINALLY a post which addresses this constantly ignored topic.

Oh wait no. Another thread which beats a dead horse for no reason.

Listen, running up against premades isn't what's ruining your experience. Much better players who are also forming a premade are what's ruining your experience. What will make your experience better is to get matched against players of about the same skill as you, and that can be done with proper matchmaking.

They could mitigate the pain significantly with an organized queue system. Simply ensure that whatever the match up is for one side, the other side also gets the same matchup. Also ensure that the gap between group sizes are not sufficiently large.... ie don't queue 4's with 2's and 1's.

That is,

4/4 is queued against 4/4

3/3/2 against 3/3/2

2/2/2/2 against 2/2/2/2

2's and 1's can be queued together vs other 2's and 1's

Cross server queues would go a long way in alleviating any numbers issues encountered. Some kind of an individual rating system would also be great but I think it would probably cause a lot of headaches.

So an individual rating to help with matchmaking would cause a lot of brackets but FOUR SEPARATE BRACKETS FOR EACH LEVEL RANGE won't cause queue times to just drag? This is by far the worst idea yet on a subject that seems to do nothing but breed awful ideas. Even with cross server queues this would almost certainly drag out queue times to unacceptable levels.

To everyone whose argument is "if you wanna play with friends you should go play ranked", which was what the OP stated, you are much worse than the most elitist PUGstomping premade ever and the last person who deserves to have their game experience improved is you, you selfish douchers.

I gotta heck of an idea, if you pvp, join a pvp guild and find ppl to group with instead of being an emo loner, and if you do randoms, accept the consequences. The thought of not allowing guild mates to grp for randoms is senile. JOIN A GUILD.

Not all have wish/possibility use voice teamspeak during playing game; for most serious pvp guilds its important requirement.

Then why did you make a new thread instead of posting in any of the hundred other threads on this topic?
Because in the other threads I read, nobody in my opinion constructively addressed the actual issues this brings. A lot are just QQ posts.

I play a lot of FPS, these are full of teams that communicate and are organised, they are still beatable.

I agree that voice communication helps with defending, but understanding the objectives and working with the group your in can be just as effective. Just because they are "premade" does not mean they all know their class or work well as group.

The simple fact is that if you can't play then you will lose, but if your in a team of players who all know how to play, there is a great chance your going to win.

The problem is people who queue Solo generally play Solo, if your a DPS who is trying to solo an enemy then you deserve the "idiot" and "moron" from the rage'r . WZ is a Team game and you should play it with a team mentality if you understand your role in that team and play it, then the team is enhanced by your participation.

If I play Football on the weekend (Soccer for the US, not the girly rugby you play in body armour!) with people I don't normally play with we can still win as we all know our positions.

If a premade group is able to roll over a entirely pug'd group, it is wrong. The fact they can keep queuing and doing it just makes it worse. You are missing the point of my post. It is about keep random warzones fair for EVERYONE. You mention bad players in your post.

If everyone could only queue solo, everyone would have an equal shot of getting those bad players. Everyone would have an equal shot of getting good ones. A "fair" playing ground for all. Somehow you are trying to insinuate that if the pug'd groups communicate, they would have a better shot of winning? To some extent, it is true. But if that is your justification for keeping groups around, you are completely overlooking the obvious advantage better coordinated groups can have. Entirely. Just the other night my pug'd team got rolled by the same premade group 3 WZ's straight. Two of them were huttball matches. The score was 6-0 and we lost in 3 to 4 minutes. I don't remember the other match, but they won again in dramatic fashion. My pug'd group TRIED to communicate. There is absolutely no justification for that. If that groups fun/comms comes at the expense of other players fun/comms it should not be tolerated.

Edited by IndridX

Because in the other threads I read, nobody in my opinion constructively addressed the actual issues this brings. A lot are just QQ posts.

Irony lol.

Also, I'll agree to this when they disallow bads, mouth breathers and droolers from said WZ's.

And since that won't happen, not even worried.

Edited by Pistols

Though I agree with the idea of this thread, I don't think SWTOR has the player base to support this option. The only way this idea should be implemented is if it doesn't inhibit or penalize people for wanting to play this game with their friends or guild mates. With the player base they have now, group queues would take too long, much like ranked queues and flashpoint queues.

I kind of agree with you about mixing solos and premades w/o the option to avoid premades, but you need to READ THE FORUM BEFORE YOU POST. there were TWO of these threads on the first freaking page when you started this thread.

Edited by foxmob

I kind of agree with you about mixing solos and premades w/o the option to avoid premades, but you need to READ THE FORUM BEFORE YOU POST. there were TWO of these threads on the first freaking page when you started this thread.
Where a lot of the people have legitimate concerns, a lot of them are not constructive. Most I have read do not address concerns or the problems with pvp. I have tried to put my thoughts down in a constructive way that hopefully developers will read and acknowledge. Wishful thinking probably, I do admit. Edited by IndridX

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.