ONe time password freaking annoying

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not everyone have a smartphone

Not everyone live in US to buy a token

Not like the app work perfectly, lot of ppl have trouble with it ( hint : check customer service )

two words : shut up

Given the popularity of smartphones today it's just strange not to have a smartphone today. They're not even expensive and they actually are handy. Most network providers will offer nice smartphones cheaply on some reasonable bill pay.

Imo they should make more physical security keys, I'd get myself another one.

Edited by Alec_Fortescue

Apparently under US law the physical security key can no longer be sold outside of the US and Canada. That scuppers the rest of the world's players.

What kind of moronic law has been passed this time (I am not a US citizen, so I would not know)? It would not make any sense to prohibit sale of something so stupid as a random number generator. Can you post any source to this?

I do not want to add a security key as it is just one more thing for me to lose. What does one do when the battery runs down on the code generator? I have not seen a way to open it and change battery.
The security key is designed as a key fob, so unless you frequently lose your keys, it should be safe. And as for battery, the power consumption of the security key is minimal, so it should last for very, very long time (ask yourself how long does a battery last in digital watch, the security key takes maybe a tenth of that)

Given the popularity of smartphones today it's just strange not to have a smartphone today. They're not even expensive and they actually are handy. Most network providers will offer nice smartphones cheaply on some reasonable bill pay.

Yeah smartphone is popular but still there are several people in this thread don't have smartphone, and the apps didn't work that great, my guildies have trouble with it before, as several others on customer services.

Imo the best way is to make the one-time-question optional, so if someone don't want that level of security they can turn it off and take responsible for all their account.

As far as I'm concerned, they tread me like a potential Internet criminal each time I want to log into their game. I've been subsribed to this game since early access, and find that a bit offensive to be honest.

two words: Security Key.

I think some of you are also missing the fact that F2P and Preferred cannot use the free phone app. If they want a security key they have to purchase the key fob which, as some of you have pointed out, is currently out of stock. I am having the same issue as the OP where I'm using the same PC to access the boards every day and every day I have to grab the "one-time" password from my email and enter it before I can sign in. :mad:

As far as I'm concerned, they tread me like a potential Internet criminal each time I want to log into their game. I've been subsribed to this game since early access, and find that a bit offensive to be honest.

The game should need OTP only when you log from an IP it does not know yet. So it is not really BW's fault that your ISP keeps rotating them like crazy. Maybe try asking how difficult would it be to get static IP?

I am not sure how Steam works in this regard, but I imagine it would need the same thing each time you get new IP address.

i myself do not care for having to wait on an e-mail everytime I try to log in on the game. I have played many games online over the years and this the first I have ever had to do this. I do not want to add a security key as it is just one more thing for me to lose. What does one do when the battery runs down on the code generator? I have not seen a way to open it and change battery.

Average lifetime expectancy on keyfobs batteries are about 7 years. I usually replace them around the 5th or 6th year just to be safe.

And your point is?

Apparently under US law the physical security key can no longer be sold outside of the US and Canada. That scuppers the rest of the world's players.

Now that is stupid, also how can the USA enforce that, if it's made and sold outside of the USA how does US law come into force (assuming it's made in china like everything else). As a european this is just annoying given the OTP situation.

I'm sure that I'm not the only subscriber to not own a smartphone, so a phone "app" is about as useful as a chocolate teapot to me.

I don't own a smartphone, I don't even own a mobile/cell , it's an expense I can do without. A chocolate teapot on the other hand sounds quite nice, and definately more useful than a app for something I don't own or want.

Now that is stupid, also how can the USA enforce that, if it's made and sold outside of the USA how does US law come into force (assuming it's made in china like everything else). As a european this is just annoying given the OTP situation.

I don't own a smartphone, I don't even own a mobile/cell , it's an expense I can do without. A chocolate teapot on the other hand sounds quite nice, and definately more useful than a app for something I don't own or want.

I looked at the back of my key and it does say "Made in China"

The game should need OTP only when you log from an IP it does not know yet. So it is not really BW's fault that your ISP keeps rotating them like crazy. Maybe try asking how difficult would it be to get static IP?

I am not sure how Steam works in this regard, but I imagine it would need the same thing each time you get new IP address.

I don't have this problem on Steam, no. It's only this game that keeps treating me like a potential account hacker.

What phone app? If it is the security key , I didn't know it was free. What if I don't have a cell phone? I do have an iphone, but how did you know that?

If the security key is free on the iphone and I don't have to pay for it, then I may download it.. but that doesn't keep this new system from being annoying.

Yeah, and what if you didn't have any arms and were blind. How would you play this game?!!!

Assuming it's the same challenge software some big corporations require employees to use while logging into their networks, the stuff may be covered by US laws prohibiting the export of goods with military applications. I thought that was actually why a lot of them were getting rid of it.

And as to the people without smartphones... how quaint. :p

im so glad i read the warnings 2 MONTHS AGO about the login changes ..as when i saw it logged on with e-mail for id as normal wrote down my acount name and used it ever since then..hence this patch gave me no troubles!

thanks for reading :)

Assuming it's the same challenge software some big corporations require employees to use while logging into their networks, the stuff may be covered by US laws prohibiting the export of goods with military applications. I thought that was actually why a lot of them were getting rid of it.

And as to the people without smartphones... how quaint. :p

Im pretty sure its either a supply issue from the supplier (vasco) or an export issue with them. Because (that other game) uses the same supplier and their EU keyfobs have been "sold out" and unavailable for the same amount of time.

The more security the better. Thats the way I see it. Their not trying to keep you out, there helping YOU, the owner of the account get IN.

Thats just ignorance talking. Depending where you are, they can be very pricey, in new zealand, just the cost of the internet outstrips anywhere in the US with no competitive rate.

Sigh... Bioware cant win can they?

They announced these changes well in advance of it happening.

They tried to introduce a system for people who (for whatever reason) don't have a security key.

Requiring email authentication every time is common. We live in a day where security of accounts is a major problem and no longer are 2 forms of authentication sufficient (username and password). We now need a third or more.

The third form of authentication is either a security key, or a key emailed to you.

Steam does this aswell. Steam remembers your IP though. I believe SWTOR does to, it just may take more times for a location to be determined as safe.

Sigh... Bioware cant win can they?

They announced these changes well in advance of it happening.

They tried to introduce a system for people who (for whatever reason) don't have a security key.

Requiring email authentication every time is common. We live in a day where security of accounts is a major problem and no longer are 2 forms of authentication sufficient (username and password). We now need a third or more.

The third form of authentication is either a security key, or a key emailed to you.

Steam does this aswell. Steam remembers your IP though. I believe SWTOR does to, it just may take more times for a location to be determined as safe.

I don't have a fix IP and don't have this problem on Steam.

And I would appreciate it if Bioware let me deside how secure I want my account to be. I never ever had to log into my mail account only to be able to log into a game account each and every time.

I don't have a fix IP and don't have this problem on Steam.

And I would appreciate it if Bioware let me deside how secure I want my account to be. I never ever had to log into my mail account only to be able to log into a game account each and every time.

So your saying bioware is stopping you from you deciding how secure your account is? Please explain how? Its your password isnt it? Your password isnt Biowares.

Bioware really can't win.

Deal with it. Download the free app on your smartphone, or keep complaining until the physical keys are back in stock.

If they removed ANY levels of security (or allowed you to), they would be risking their own reputation as well. If your account was hacked, you'd probably come back screaming that Bioware didn't protect the accounts well enough.

I just don't understand the anger -- I always view more security as a good thing. If it is REALLY enough for you to unsubscribe, clearly you're angry about more than just the stupid security features. . .

Bioware really can't win.

Deal with it. Download the free app on your smartphone, or keep complaining until the physical keys are back in stock.

If they removed ANY levels of security (or allowed you to), they would be risking their own reputation as well. If your account was hacked, you'd probably come back screaming that Bioware didn't protect the accounts well enough.

I just don't understand the anger -- I always view more security as a good thing. If it is REALLY enough for you to unsubscribe, clearly you're angry about more than just the stupid security features. . .

Amen brother

I just don't understand the anger -- I always view more security as a good thing.

When the security measures start to annoy customers then it becomes a bad thing.

As others have written:

I have a dynamic IP

I don't use smarphones

Even if I buy a smarthphone. I don't live in US neither I speak english fluently so binding my account to a not stable android App is not an option because I won't call customer support if anything goes wrong or, for example, after a phone upgrade.

I've been playing videogames since they were invented and I've been connected to the net since '90 and this is the first time I see so much problems to log into a game (and ncsoft). Even ingame restrictions (security key vendors) that discriminate customers.

Yes I know there are people who need to be babysitted. For the rest, make it optional.

Edited by Laerian