Read this speech by James Ohlen at GDC 2013

BadOrb

... and Disney specifically stated that no other Star Wars games would be produced outside of LucasArts.

Actually LusasArts had stated that a while back but after the purchase Disney's head honcho stated a willingness to change that:

The company indicated, in a conference call discussing the Lucasfilm deal, that it expects to continue that focus, even with the Star Wars license in house now. "We're likely to focus more on social and mobile than we are on console," said Disney CEO Robert Iger. "We'll look opportunistically at console, most likely in licensing rather than publishing, but we think that given the nature of these characters and how well known they are, and the storytelling, that they lend themselves quite nicely, as they've already demonstrated to the other platforms."

Source

Bold added for emphasis.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually LusasArts had stated that a while back but after the purchase Disney's head honcho stated a willingness to change that:

The company indicated, in a conference call discussing the Lucasfilm deal, that it expects to continue that focus, even with the Star Wars license in house now. "We're likely to focus more on social and mobile than we are on console," said Disney CEO Robert Iger. "We'll look opportunistically at console, most likely in licensing rather than publishing, but we think that given the nature of these characters and how well known they are, and the storytelling, that they lend themselves quite nicely, as they've already demonstrated to the other platforms."

Source

Bold added for emphasis.

We are on the PC.

Bold added for emphasis.

Also true. I have not paid for one single unlock as a sub since early access. The only thing I've bought so far as a sub is an armour set that I wanted for a companion, and virtually all the cartel items can be bought in the GTN.

Subs complaining about CM cosmetic issues or items if frankly stunning.

Really interesting that you say that... see i started post f2p... from my first few months in the game, you must believe me for non subs there are golden cartel market logo's and subscriber benefits popus everywhere. That coupled with low legacy experience and being capped to 2 characters.. the idea of even getting to legacy 10 was not even in scope for a preferred player.

Thinking about it now, i can definitely imagine for a launch player at legacy 50 with millions of credits in the bank that the new unlocks are totally free and not involving coins, but if the time you spend becoming familiar with the game is as a preferred player you're framed to think that cartel coins are the only way to get these things, even when you think about it.

Until, Eric took over here the interaction with the TOR community was abysmal, and the player base had every justification to react negatively to it.

Unfortunately it is still not much better than abysmal. They promised more and better community work for 2 or 3 times now and the only time something changed have been the 1-2 weeks after this glorious announcement...

2.0 is knocking at the door and we really know nothing about how it's going to be deployed, work on the live servers etc.

Unfortunately it is still not much better than abysmal. They promised more and better community work for 2 or 3 times now and the only time something changed have been the 1-2 weeks after this glorious announcement...

2.0 is knocking at the door and we really know nothing about how it's going to be deployed, work on the live servers etc.

Give crackers to a starving man and he will swear it is a feast. Eventually, he will come to realize... it's just crackers.

We are on the PC.

Bold added for emphasis.

And we are also on the planet Earth. Neither statement has anything to do with your earlier statement:

"... and Disney specifically stated that no other Star Wars games would be produced outside of LucasArts."

or the correction.

As of Apr. 3rd we have even more info from Disney:

"After evaluating our position in the games market, we've decided to shift LucasArts from an internal development to a licensing model, minimizing the company's risk while achieving a broader portfolio of quality Star Wars games."

Source

That also doesn't matter about PC, console, or whatever.

I've nothing against you; just correcting a statement which wasn't accurate. Enjoy your day.

Edited by Stryklone
new info

What do you need to know? Tuesday you'll download the normal patch and Makeb. If you have early access you can play it right away. No early access you can play on the following Sunday. How will it work on the live servers? I don't know… it will work well?

I just went out and re-upped my WoW account. I popped in, made a few characters, all of which I wasn't very happy with. Jumped into the game, and looked at the hazy graphics, and the rather small hardly adjustable UI and thought to myself, I would rather play SWTOR.

I'm still going to give my new monk a go, but after playing rather recently on Aion, WoW and Rift, I can say the most fun I have is in SWTOR. It does feel like this game is moving in a positive direction.

Just as I was readying myself to step off of the "Death of the Class Story" soapbox, Ohlen comes and tells us that voiceovers weren't a concern... I'm still just lost for words. :rolleyes:

Missing the point of what he said. He was countering claims that VO ate up a big part of the budget, he did not say that VO was not expensive or that it was not time consuming. Still would have cost money and still could have taken a lot of time and effort.

The feedback was there, they just didn't listen.

How do you know that? Listening and agreeing are not the same thing.

All we know is that they did not make changes that people asked for. Some of that would have been because they just did not agree, some would have been because they thought they could add it post-launch and some of it they knew they could not do because the cost and delay of such a redesign would be too great.

Edited by Arlbo_Nabbins

With respect - you're missing the point.

People want these things in SWTOR.

Now, I like the game, I really do - but when you think what might have been it's hard not to get a bit depressed.

And you are missing the most important point. Only SOME people want each of those things in SWTOR.

And we are also on the planet Earth. Neither statement has anything to do with your earlier statement:

"... and Disney specifically stated that no other Star Wars games would be produced outside of LucasArts."

or the correction.

As of Apr. 3rd we have even more info from Disney:

"After evaluating our position in the games market, we've decided to shift LucasArts from an internal development to a licensing model, minimizing the company's risk while achieving a broader portfolio of quality Star Wars games."

Source

That also doesn't matter about PC, console, or whatever.

I've nothing against you; just correcting a statement which wasn't accurate. Enjoy your day.

That is true, now. As of your orignial post, it was meant for only console games, but with the dissolution of Lucasarts, it is now applicable.