Why are you ruining my weekends? Option to turn off xp bonus!

ArchonGamer

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Many people like to play the game to play the game, not to beat the game. This means playing all the planets and quests.

Probably the most consistent complaints about this game since lauch are that it is way too easy, way too fast, and the levelling path is unbalanced (near impossible not to outlevel the content).

These double XP "events" make all of these problems worse, and I could certainly see how they would make the game unplayable to some.

I hate how being overleveled locks you out from playing missions :mad:

......................oh wait it doesn't !!!!!! :rolleyes:

I just finished Chapter 2 on my alt who is 50 becuase of the first xp weekend....I would care less, actually I am enjoying the game MORE because I don't have to worry about what level I am anymore on him. I can continue to do what I planned to do without a worry in the world. :cool:

Not gona happen, so maybe they will take your feedback and consider it next time. I think in my 12 years of mmo's this is the first game where I have seen people complain that double exp was a bad thing, man have the times ever changed.. :confused:

Many people like to play the game to play the game, not to beat the game. This means playing all the planets and quests.

Probably the most consistent complaints about this game since lauch are that it is way too easy, way too fast, and the levelling path is unbalanced (near impossible not to outlevel the content).

These double XP "events" make all of these problems worse, and I could certainly see how they would make the game unplayable to some.

I suppose so.

But even with the double xp weekends and every possible xp perk available, it's still impossible to only do your class quests and not be underleveled. I actually tried on my Sith Warrior. So you have to repeat content you've already seen. Unless you distribute the side quests among different alts.

I would say that this game was designed around the idea of a player leveling multiple alts. Multiple alts lets you see more story. Multiple alts covers the different types of crafting. Multiple alts lets you shlep money to newer toons. And multiple alts let's you level at a decent pace and see all the content in the game by spreading planetary, side and bonus series quests around.

For the player that truly wants to see all the story, they would need to do all of the class quests. Why force them to do every side quest again and again? On Belsavis I've

Freed the Dread Masters

twice already. I don't need to do it again.

Edited by Khevar

Those threads are made by trolls and a small handful of whiny clowns and their wrong sense of entitlement and desire for attention. There is no issue here. Enough of this nonsense, I have an enjoyable weekend of double xp ahead of me.

You are wrong.

Also you clearly have a flawed understanding of what the word "troll" means. I hate to be the one to break it to you, but it does not in fact mean "someone with a different opinion than me."

You say that like it's as easy as adding a line that says "IF PLAYER WANTS 2XP=NO THEN BUFF=OFF" to the code.

I can guarantee you that it's not.

It's true that I'm not familiar with the system that this game is using, it's also true that I have some experience with writing programs. And in this case, everything is already in place so it would be quite simple, in theory. They already have the functions for Buffing and Debuffing, and they already have the code to make xp boosting a buff because of the ones that you get during questing (1 or 3 hours @ 25%) and from the cartel market. So YES, it would be fairly easy for them to retool this to be the weekend buff and be debuffable.

Edited by Glowrod

This double exp buff every weekend sucks. I mostly only get to play on the weekend and now for 3 weekends I can't because of this double exp weekends. You already out level the game content with normal exp, double exp is completely ruining the game for me.

Why have you not included an option to turn it off? I want to play the game and I am a subscriber I am sick of doing all grey missions because I am level 35 doing level 24 missions because of this double exp crap.

I agree with you but I bet they don't let you turn off xp or turn it down is because of PVP deathmatches people would stay at lvl 49 for ever with the best gear for that level and just decimate everyone.

Personally I think PVP is the best pre 50 anyway cause theres no expertise involved but that's another topic.

It's true that I'm not familiar with the system that this game is using, it's also true that I have some experience with writing programs. And in this case, everything is already in place so it would be quite simple, in theory. They already have the functions for Buffing and Debuffing, and they already have the code to make xp boosting a buff because of the ones that you get during questing (1 or 3 hours @ 25%) and from the cartel market. So YES, it would be fairly easy for them to retool this to be the weekend buff and be debuffable.

Sorry, but I don't think you're looking into this enough. Maybe you don't have experience with production programs? Or maybe nothing this large. . . .

Right now, this is implemented server-side. A simple switch for them. By creating a buff, they have to do a significant amount of testing and coding. Because:

How can we make sure it stacks? Currently, NONE of the XP buffs stack with eachother.

How do we give out the buff? What if you want to remove it and then get it back?

How do we remove rested XP from this? Currently, rested xp stacks with buff XP boosts -- but not with doubleXP weekend event.

And, keep in mind this is a HUGE game. Changing the way 1 part of it works can wreak havoc on other parts. This certainly wouldn't be a "simple" addition, although nowhere near as complex as adding a new class or planet.

The real problem isn't quite complexity though -- it's time and money. Regression testing and basic QA testing takes exponentially more time the more pieces of a game you hit on with the code. Considering there would be very little ROI (return on Investment) for them to put any effort at all into this, I don't blame them for not doing it from the start.

There's also been relatively little anger regarding it. Not saying there aren't people unhappy, but the general consesus is that the vast majority of players are happy with it, or only slightly annoyed.

Depending on when this comes around again (if it does at all), I'd love to see them put a few days work into it and allow some type of "toggle" button for the double-xp, but I definitely don't fault them for not doing it the first time, or even thinking about it the first time.

Sorry, but I don't think you're looking into this enough. Maybe you don't have experience with production programs? Or maybe nothing this large. . . .

Right now, this is implemented server-side. A simple switch for them. By creating a buff, they have to do a significant amount of testing and coding. Because:

How can we make sure it stacks? Currently, NONE of the XP buffs stack with eachother.

How do we give out the buff? What if you want to remove it and then get it back?

How do we remove rested XP from this? Currently, rested xp stacks with buff XP boosts -- but not with doubleXP weekend event.

And, keep in mind this is a HUGE game. Changing the way 1 part of it works can wreak havoc on other parts. This certainly wouldn't be a "simple" addition, although nowhere near as complex as adding a new class or planet.

The real problem isn't quite complexity though -- it's time and money. Regression testing and basic QA testing takes exponentially more time the more pieces of a game you hit on with the code. Considering there would be very little ROI (return on Investment) for them to put any effort at all into this, I don't blame them for not doing it from the start.

There's also been relatively little anger regarding it. Not saying there aren't people unhappy, but the general consesus is that the vast majority of players are happy with it, or only slightly annoyed.

Depending on when this comes around again (if it does at all), I'd love to see them put a few days work into it and allow some type of "toggle" button for the double-xp, but I definitely don't fault them for not doing it the first time, or even thinking about it the first time.

This. This and this. Ty, you saved me typing it out.

This makes no sense... Double XP does nothing to restrict you from doing any mission in the game, I've been leveling characters during the double XP weekends and it still takes awhile, even if you just go through the main storyline to complete. Double XP does not ruin the game, its kind of like having a lot of rested XP built up or something

To all the people that think this way. It does ruin it. When I am 10+ levels higher than the content there is 0 challenge. I want to enjoy the game, have fun and be challenged by it.

Also, working on an alt doesn't help me for 2 reasons. 1) I like to play the story through, the class stories to me are like individual novels and I love them. I want to be able to play it all the way through. I wouldn't be in the middle of a good book and then start reading another book.

You are wrong.

Also you clearly have a flawed understanding of what the word "troll" means. I hate to be the one to break it to you, but it does not in fact mean "someone with a different opinion than me."

It is funny that people who have a different opinion think you are trolling. Like if they did make the double experience and option it would some how affect them.

You like double exp you want 5 times exp GREAT. I don't why can't I have the option to play the way I want, if I turn it off and you don't we are both happy, but because I am not happy the way you are I am a troll. Sad society.

To all the people that think this way. It does ruin it. When I am 10+ levels higher than the content there is 0 challenge. I want to enjoy the game, have fun and be challenged by it.

Also, working on an alt doesn't help me for 2 reasons. 1) I like to play the story through, the class stories to me are like individual novels and I love them. I want to be able to play it all the way through. I wouldn't be in the middle of a good book and then start reading another book.

You realize this happens even if you don't have double XP and you don't have rested XP.

It is not actually possible to play this game and NOT overlevel planets without skipping optional quests. It cannot be done. If you do all the optional quests you're going to be overleveled.

All the double xp does is ask you to skip more optional sidequets, which you could eventually see on your next alt, once you've done the first one all the way through.

Good old SWTOR community. Bashing those who have a different opinion, as always.

I think in my 12 years of mmo's this is the first game where I have seen people complain that double exp was a bad thing, man have the times ever changed.. :confused:

In most games you want to level as fast as possible in order to get to the best part of them - end-game activities. In SWTOR, however, leveling IS the best part. Not talking on behalf of everyone, of course, but i'm pretty confident that many people here share my point of view.

Good point. Though what still annoys me, Bioware are diligently avoiding this kind of threads. If only they would write the same thing you did in yellow letters...

On Belsavis I've

Freed the Dread Masters

twice already. I don't need to do it again.

The 1st time you did the quest was it easy? - Did you think to yourself 'You know what I'm not going to bother cause it will be so easy, so I'll just skip the quest and do it with my ALt' - Of course you may have to do it to progress in the game but would the 1st run through be as much fun if you were say 10 -15 levels too high for it ?

The trouble is the people who play the game as a rush to to the endgame are blinkered to the people who do not play the same way as them..

From a marketing point of view ramp the progress to lvl 50 just get as many users there as quickly as possible then they will buy the extra content we are trying to sell. If you didn't have a hight level toon would you buy the DLC now or wait till you leveled, couldn't take risk so they sold gameplay out to squeese more cash from the DLC launch

This double exp buff every weekend sucks. I mostly only get to play on the weekend and now for 3 weekends I can't because of this double exp weekends. You already out level the game content with normal exp, double exp is completely ruining the game for me.

Why have you not included an option to turn it off? I want to play the game and I am a subscriber I am sick of doing all grey missions because I am level 35 doing level 24 missions because of this double exp crap.

lol, you have to be kidding us, right?

The 1st time you did the quest was it easy? - Did you think to yourself 'You know what I'm not going to bother cause it will be so easy, so I'll just skip the quest and do it with my ALt' - Of course you may have to do it to progress in the game but would the 1st run through be as much fun if you were say 10 -15 levels too high for it ?

It wasn't terribly fun when I was 5 levels too high for it, either. Do you know why I was 5 levels too high for it? Because I tried to do every single side quest for every planet on the first toon I leveled.

This is with no bonus xp, no legacy perks, no rested xp. I realized (this is the important part) that to NOT be overleveled, I'd need to skip optional content.

This problem exists whether or not there are double xp weekends. You are going to:

1) Overlevel content

or

2) Skip optional side quests

Edited by Khevar

Not gona happen, so maybe they will take your feedback and consider it next time. I think in my 12 years of mmo's this is the first game where I have seen people complain that double exp was a bad thing, man have the times ever changed.. :confused:

Yes, they have changed, for you to even suggest what you have, means you have very little if any experience with mmos.

In my 20 years of playing mmo's, the leveling in the game is the fastest by a big margin, almost trivial by default, with extra xp its farcical.

I suppose these days with ADHD so prevalent, its going to be the norm. :rolleyes:

Yes, they have changed, for you to even suggest what you have, means you have very little if any experience with mmos.

In my 20 years of playing mmo's, the leveling in the game is the fastest by a big margin, almost trivial by default, with extra xp its farcical.

I suppose these days with ADHD so prevalent, its going to be the norm. :rolleyes:

I think your right, I have been playig mmo's since 1997 and Mudz before that, some of the first games I played were on a BBS.. I have a lot of diverse onlne game play experience, like the I said the times have changed, and not all for the good :(

I think your right, I have been playig mmo's since 1997 and Mudz before that, some of the first games I played were on a BBS.. I have a lot of diverse onlne game play experience, like the I said the times have changed, and not all for the good :(

What is frustrating is the devs not recognising this. Look at what STO does, it has Q standing on the fleet to grab your XP buff if you want it. They realized that not everyone wants to burn through as fast as possible and actually just enjoy the ride.

Continuing blunders from the devs on design really makes you wonder if they think any of this through, or maybe their wall of crazy has sent them that way. :)

The trouble is the people who play the game as a rush to to the endgame are blinkered to the people who do not play the same way as them..

From a marketing point of view ramp the progress to lvl 50 just get as many users there as quickly as possible then they will buy the extra content we are trying to sell. If you didn't have a hight level toon would you buy the DLC now or wait till you leveled, couldn't take risk so they sold gameplay out to squeese more cash from the DLC launch

Then as has been said before, run an Alt. A throw away Alt if you want even. Either way you have been given many different ways to work around this and NOTHING is good enough for you. You whine about the responses and give more excuses as to why you can't do it and how it has ruined the game for you in nauseating repetitiveness. The only conclusion left to draw is that you are attention seeking and want everyone to give in to your pity party. That you don't want a solution to your problem, you just want to whine for the sake of whining. The fact of the matter is that you would rather bite off your nose to spite your face instead of even giving any of the number of other ideas a shot so don't have to admit that you overreacted and acted like a drama.queen.

As has been mentioned the simplest answer here for your example is to skip that quest. Now before you start turning blue holding your breath with another tantrum, all you have to do is save that experience for your next toon that you are leveling up without the double xp. But alas this will most likely fall on deaf ears as you make another excuse as to why that's not good enough for you, so you do whatever you're going to do. Just stop throwing your tantrum, threatening to hold your breath till you pass out, here and go play the game.

Edited by Hyfy

20 years? So, since 1993? Pretty good internet, I think...

as has been mentioned the simplest answer here for your example is to skip that quest. Now before you start turning blue holding your breath with another tantrum, all you have to do is save that experience for your next toon that you are leveling up without the double xp. But alas this will most likely fall on deaf ears as you make another excuse as to why that's not good enough for you, so you do whatever you're going to do. Just stop throwing your tantrum, threatening to hold your breath till you pass out, here and go play the game.

qft :)