Did the sub price go up?

gumbydpl

Sorry for bringing up an "old" issue. I just wasn't sure if there was a mix up on my bill or not.

Leave it to "The Man" to try and squeeze out every last penny they can out of the common working man haha.

Is this tax across all States in the USA? Or just a few?

Yeah I am in Pennsylvania USA. A $1 tax on a $15 virtual good seems a little steep tp me. Anyone else get their price jacked up like this?

Look at your receipt. If it's tax, it should be clearly marked as a tax. From there you can figure out the percentage (if it's not listed) and determine whether or not it matches your state's tax rate on virtual / service / use / whatever they call it.

Odds are it's correct. EA could screw up a great many things ingame, but we can be confident that their accountants and lawyers are on top of things.

EDIT: They charged me tax for the first time on my most recent renewal and it's the correct percentage for my state.

Edited by DarthTHC

This was copied from my PayPal account.

Total amount:

-$16.04 USD

Fee amount:

$0.00 USD

Net amount:

-$16.04 USD

Item amount:

$16.04 USD

Sales Tax:

$0.00 USD

Shipping:

$0.00 USD

Handling:

$0.00 USD

Quantity:

Sales Tax says 0. Whats up with that?

This was copied from my PayPal account.

Total amount:

-$16.04 USD

Fee amount:

$0.00 USD

Net amount:

-$16.04 USD

Item amount:

$16.04 USD

Sales Tax:

$0.00 USD

Shipping:

$0.00 USD

Handling:

$0.00 USD

Quantity:

Sales Tax says 0. Whats up with that?

Suggest contacting customer service and/or billing directly. That definitely looks odd.

Sorry for bringing up an "old" issue. I just wasn't sure if there was a mix up on my bill or not.

Leave it to "The Man" to try and squeeze out every last penny they can out of the common working man haha.

Is this tax across all States in the USA? Or just a few?

The taxes being referenced are state taxes set by each state. For example, some states started requiring sales tax to be paid through retailers on internet purchases. It used to be, Amazon never charged sales tax. Now, they have to charge it if you live in certain states. However, I don't think that applies here. I just checked my last sub transaction and checked my credit card statement and there was no sales tax. I live in California where they try to tax you on everything they can. You might check with PayPal. If you're paying through PayPal perhaps that is a processing fee charged by PayPal.

There is no processing fee from PayPal. PA requires tax to be charged as does NY and all the East coast states for the most part. Most states are now requiring the company to charge tax because people are not paying "use" taxes. Use taxes are taxes that you must pay on all internet items you buy. You're supposed to pay your state if the company you purchase from does not collect. Bioware is taking the burden off the customers. Edited by AlaricSevGirl

We all feel the pain in our wallets when prices change for no reason at all, or no notice is given. As far as taxes go, its just normal that Uncle Sam wants his share. It would be nice though if when we get charged through debit card, credit card, paypal or whatever means, we would get the whole breakdown in applied charges.

Originally, the subscription price for SWTOR was supposed to be: $ 14.99

But, I have always seen the charge since Day 1 from Paypal being : $ 15.86

As of a couple days ago, according to the Paypal receipt that I'm being charged, it is now: $16.08

Personally, I'm not worried about a few more dimes added to my bill, but a nice breakdown in my subscription charges on my bill would be nice

By the way, if you contact Paypal, they can give you a number to call, if you want :

(650) 628-3098 (San Carlos / Belmont, California area)

There is no processing fee from PayPal. PA requires tax to be charged as does NY and all the East coast states for the most part. Most states are now requiring the company to charge tax because people are not paying "use" taxes. Use taxes are taxes that you must pay on all internet items you buy. You're supposed to pay your state if the company you purchase from does not collect. Bioware is taking the burden off the customers.

Actually, Paypal does charge a processing fee to the Seller of goods. It is possible if you knew the actual percentage, then you may be able to add it into the actual cost of the goods, therefore having the buyer pay for the processing charge, and then the buyer has a guaranteed amount coming in, without the Paypal processing fee hitting them.

Edited by JediCounsular

Out of the 4 mmo I am subbed to atm, This is the only one that charges me tax. I live in Louisiana atm for studies and SOE does not add a tax to the sub. EvE does not either but they have no US ties iirc. Edited by neum

Sales tax in Pittsburgh (Allegheny county 7%) and Philadelphia county is 8%(until June 30, 2014) . Just 6% in all other counties of PA. So $16.04 is right if you are from Pittsburgh. $1.0493 sales tax rounded to $1.05 Edited by Vyerix

Out of the 4 mmo I am subbed to atm, This is the only one that charges me tax. I live in Louisiana and SOE does not add a tax to the sub. EvE does not either but they have no US ties iirc.

Rule of thumb: If you are being charged for WoW then you should be charge for SWTOR, and vice versa.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.