Ilum XP Farm

Heezdedjim

People are claiming 50 in 10 hours doing this:

(1) Make a level 1 toon

(2) Buy Priority Transport: Black Hole, port there, then shuttle to Ilum

(3) Farm event mobs in a raid group (courtesy of the event bolster)

(4) ???

(5) PROFIT!

So, my question is, if people are getting to 50 in 10 hours doing this on double XP weekends, how come nobody was doing this before? Getting to 50 in 20 hours still seems like a good deal if you just want to power level. Did nobody figure this out, or is there something that makes it only work with double XP?

Also, how are level 1s getting any XP if they're in groups with higher levels? Does the bolster cancel out the group XP nerf that happens when you're too low for the group as well?

Edited by Heezdedjim

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

People are claiming 50 in 10 hours doing this:

(1) Make a level 1 toon

(2) Buy Priority Transport: Black Hole, port there, then shuttle to Ilum

(3) Farm event mobs in a raid group (courtesy of the event bolster)

(4) ???

(5) PROFIT!

So, my question is, if people are getting to 50 in 10 hours doing this on double XP weekends, how come nobody was doing this before? Getting to 50 in 20 hours still seems like a good deal if you just want to power level. Did nobody figure this out, or is there something that makes it only work with double XP?

Also, how are level 1s getting any XP if they're in groups with higher levels? Does the bolster cancel out the group XP nerf that happens when you're too low for the group as well?

Bolster only happens on Illum at level 45. So that means those people are powerleveling to 45 and THEN going from 45 - 50 in half-an-hour.

Given that the last 5 levels have a decent xp req, that's a neat trick.

Bolster only happens on Illum at level 45. So that means those people are powerleveling to 45 and THEN going from 45 - 50 in half-an-hour.

No, people are talking about going straight from 1 to 50 on nothing but Gree event farming:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=611933

This has been posted in the 24-hour challenge thread as well, and allegedly there are full ops groups farming this 24x7 there since double XP started.

I just put my 35 on ilum, took the shuttle to the gree area and saw my health go up to 12k - this is a problem

I fail to see how this is a problem unless you're the nerd police.

Because you can survive there and get full xp as a 35 fighting 50s. Getting xp really fast (5x or 6x+) one way kills every other xp route in a game. I've seen a couple games mostly die from this.

Because you can survive there and get full xp as a 35 fighting 50s. Getting xp really fast (5x or 6x+) one way kills every other xp route in a game. I've seen a couple games mostly die from this.

It only works for the gree event and only if double XP is available.... it is obviously not permanent....

Edited by Megatfz

It only works for the gree event and only if double XP is available.... it is obviously not permanent....

Which is too bad, because the xp gain is awesomely fun.

It's interesting the people that don't like it. I love getting to 50 via the class story. I hate having to do the same terrible side/planet quests to get there or repeatedly run the same FPs over and over. And here's the thing - power leveling to 50 is only one side of the coin, you still have to have the cr to buy the skills. The class quests aren't enough to fund that.

If you want to run all the planetary quests on your way to 50? Have at it. If you want to run the class quest only to 50 and have a means to support the cr need? Have at it. Why are some people so intent on holding back others?

But, without double XP, wouldn't you still be getting XP fast enough that people would do this any time the event runs (double XP or no)? If people are getting to 50 in 10 hours now, doesn't that mean they could have gotten to 50 in 20 hours with normal XP?

Either way, it seems certain this will be nerfed as an exploit in short order. All they have to to shut it down is make the bolster affect only people who are level 45+. They'll probably put a level lock on the Black Hole priority transport thing as well, just for good measure. I'm sure they don't care about people 45+ power leveling on event mobs to 50, but they're not going to leave this working for level 1s.

Edited by Heezdedjim

But, without double XP, wouldn't you still be getting XP fast enough that people would do this any time the event runs (double XP or no)? If people are getting to 50 in 10 hours now, doesn't that mean they could have gotten to 50 in 20 hours with normal XP?

Either way, it seems certain this will be nerfed as an exploit in short order. All they have to to shut it down is make the bolster affect only people who are level 45+. They'll probably put a level lock on the Black Hole priority transport thing as well, just for good measure. I'm sure they don't care about people 45+ power leveling on event mobs to 50, but they're not going to leave this working for level 1s.

No. You don't get it and I guess you never will. This isn't about 2x xp weekend although that certainly helps. From what I heard, until the gree even apparently, the fastest anyone was able to level 1-50 was a little over 50 hours.

No. You don't get it and I guess you never will. This isn't about 2x xp weekend although that certainly helps. From what I heard, until the gree even apparently, the fastest anyone was able to level 1-50 was a little over 50 hours.

How does this affect YOU in a DIRECT NEGATIVE way? Not how you feel, actually gameplay.

This isn't a credit dupe, this isn't an item dupe. The intent of the double xp weekend was to increase leveling speed. The gree event will be around for 2 out of the 4 double xp weekends.

IMO it's 75/25 that bioware either didn't realize this was going to be an option or they did and didn't care/couldn't figure a way to stop it so they just let it slide cause ya know it's only two weekends and people leveling quickly is kinda the point.

There IS a level lock on the BH transport. It's level 50.

So the lvl 1's level to 16, get their ship then fly to Ilum. What is the purpose of the planet? What did bioware add to half the planet to facilitate the purpose of the planet? Hint: it is the same thing you get buffed with in warzones. What is the purpose of the planet again? Which side of the planet is the gree event located on? Which came first, the purpose of the planet or the gree event?

Does it really matter how quickly other people get to 50?

I honestly don't care and I find it quite odd other people do.

It's about game integrity. This does trivialize accomplishments in the game.

Imagine what happens when an item comes out that anyone can easily get that kills everything very fast. For awhile, people in general will be happy and entertained - now they can solo fps and and hard modes and raids, see and do all of the content, but... once they've done that for a few days or even weeks, most (not all) will get bored and move on. That's why game balance exists - to keep the tasks challenging and interesting.

Leveling to max level really fast is along the same lines just not as extreme. It's supposed to be an achievement to have a rainbow buff and a high presence (which is handy mostly for leveling alts but now it's not relevant).

Yes, at end game these new characters won't be great. But they'll be just as good as almost any other fresh 50 (even those that grinded quests and flashpoints and wzs) in their tionese and recruit gear and they can always transfer items and mods from other characters using legacy gear... As for the "learning your class" bit - most of the learning for raids and pvp starts at 50 anyways.

I'm sure some of you think that if you have an option of gaining xp really fast or grinding out a few hundred quests/fps/wzs you think you and others will pick option 2. I promise you that is not the case. All of those other pre 50 pursuits will die (no wzs, no gf wzs/heroics) except amongst newbs who will learn. And class quests will be nothing more than a spacebar running-around chore.

If this only lasts for 2 weeks once every six mos or so, that would be relatively ok but still not recommended (change the event name to "2-weeks-of-6x-xp-if-you're-smart"). I guess we'll see.

Is that a statement in favor of or against the discussion at hand?

If they are using an way to get to Ilum (the blackhole quick travel on legacy) when you normally can't get to black hole or ilum until 45 or 50 then they are basically using an exploit and if that is the case, that is wrong.

Does it really matter how quickly other people get to 50?

I honestly don't care and I find it quite odd other people do.

It does if they are using a way to travel there through a priority transport at a lower level than you can normally get to the black hole or ilum.

If they are using an way to get to Ilum (the blackhole quick travel on legacy) when you normally can't get to black hole or ilum until 45 or 50 then they are basically using an exploit and if that is the case, that is wrong.

You can get to ANYWHERE once you have your ship. You can get your ship early if you have someone help you with story quests.