The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Selecting need for loot

Jonrobbie

I can only speak for myself, but no, I have never, ever done this. In all cases where I wanted an item for one of my companions, I have always, without exception, asked first, and rolled Need only if the group as a whole said yes. Be careful with your assumptions.

And which assumption was that? I didn't say 'all', I said 'most'. I see people needing all the time on primary stat items even though it isn't an upgrade. I also see some people passing on primary stat items because it isn't an upgrade. I made no absolute assumptions at all.

But I reiterate - if the 'rules' are not clarified at the head of the game, you have no obligation to ask permission for that need roll you make. Nice that you do, but not obligatory.

Edited by KariTalRathe

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But I reiterate - if the 'rules' are not clarified at the head of the game, you have no obligation to ask permission for that need roll you make. Nice that you do, but not obligatory.

Normally when i saw a ninja, i alway ask "why you take that rifle as a Sage ?" and then explain to him/her. Most of the time he/she is new for the game so it's fine. However very few time some one said he need it for companion/vendor etc and we have to vote kick :(

Honestly when leveling its hardly a big deal over loot unless its your first toon.... experienced players with alts have the crafters and funds to gear their toons without loot from LFG. That being said, if you're going to roll need for a companion, just take 2 seconds to ask if anyone else needs the item, if they say no then roll away... if you see someone who rolls need and they are the class for the item and you roll need for your companion, yeah that's bad form.

I reed this argument and can't help but laugh and cry. YOU are in the flashpoint helping, your companion is not. Rolling need for someone who is not there is not fair to the guy who is there who could benefit right now to help you finish the said flashpoint. You want the loot for a companion, an alt your best friend Jimmy's sister (who's kinda cute) wait tills everyone else rolls greed then say hey is it ok if i need for so and so. I hope the OP was a joke or someone who just started MMO's or he may find himself getting booted as soon as the que goes through after a while.

... I see people needing all the time on primary stat items even though it isn't an upgrade. ...

This is such as self-serving generality. "All the time" indeed. How often is that? Every day? Every week? Every pug? Just often enough to pretend your point is valid?

Sometimes when I roll need on something and get it, I'm way to fast for the pug's.

I've already ripped the mods out and put them into my style equip and when they inspect me afterwards, they think I had an item before with the exact same stats and only rolled need because I'm greedy.

I got flamed for that a few times, but could explain the slow learners what I did. (Mostly the guys who didn't contribute a lot to the group were the ones flaming) :rolleyes:

In the end, the only ones that loses are those that break the social rules. They end up on ignore and gets to team with fewer people each time.

As for the rest of us, we enjoy playing the game with a great friendslist :tran_grin:

Edited by Icestar

I reed this argument and can't help but laugh and cry. YOU are in the flashpoint helping, your companion is not. Rolling need for someone who is not there is not fair to the guy who is there who could benefit right now to help you finish the said flashpoint. You want the loot for a companion, an alt your best friend Jimmy's sister (who's kinda cute) wait tills everyone else rolls greed then say hey is it ok if i need for so and so. I hope the OP was a joke or someone who just started MMO's or he may find himself getting booted as soon as the que goes through after a while.

How much would that character have contributed without the PLAYER at the keyboard? That's right, absolutely NOTHING. The player is the one rolling, not the character or the companion, but the PLAYER. You are not denying that companion a chance at loot. You are denying that PLAYER a chance at that loot, even though without that PLAYER that new shiny would still be sitting in that bosses pocket and not on the floor.

In the end, the only ones that loses are those that break the social rules. They end up on ignore and gets to team with fewer people each time.

As for the rest of us, we enjoy playing the game with a great friendslist :tran_grin:

But someday my ignorelist will be full, what do I do then?

How much would that character have contributed without the PLAYER at the keyboard? That's right, absolutely NOTHING. The player is the one rolling, not the character or the companion, but the PLAYER. You are not denying that companion a chance at loot. You are denying that PLAYER a chance at that loot, even though without that PLAYER that new shiny would still be sitting in that bosses pocket and not on the floor.

The player was using their character, not their companion. :) As such, the character did contribute. And if this group were to go forward together, that piece would be wasted on a non-character companion. Again, the loot system decides (when it's working properly, and it usually is) what items drops based on the characters present, not the players. That Aim piece did not drop because the Smuggler has access to Corso - it dropped because a Trooper was present. Thus, the item is intended as a reward for that character.

But someday my ignorelist will be full, what do I do then?

It depends how picky you are to place players on ignore. Nowdays I only place those that intentionally ninjas items.

Not that many are completely unaware of the social code of looting nowdays, and those that refuse to accept it. They belong on the list.

Nowdays, my list is never full since I carefully select who I want to team up with again and not.

Edited by Icestar

As for the rest of us, we enjoy playing the game and a great friendslist :tran_grin:

Well, as I said, I only need on items for their cosmetics (I'm only talking leveling content here), and I'm pretty sure it hasn't put me on any ignore lists so far. But it does probably help that there's very little that I actually need on. Most people only see me pass on everything, with maybe a greed here and there.

If someone remains polite despite not getting some item, then I might be persuaded into mailing them the exact same mods that were in the item. They're not that hard to get for a crafter. With an Artificer, a Cybertech and an Armstech, I can make about any modification that you could find in flashpoint drops.

If they're lucky and I swim in the mats for that level, then I might even send them the mods in purple quality. That happened only once though. Usually people don't care and we just move to the next boss, and only one time I had someone freak out and fill chat with expletives. That person obviously didn't get the modifactions replacement offer. And the rest of the group was more annoyed by his choice of words than by me needing on some item.

Needing on an item simply IS a completely cosmetical matter. There is absolutely nothing special about the stats from flashpoint gear. Cry me a river, really.

Well, as I said, I only need on items for their cosmetics (I'm only talking leveling content here), and I'm pretty sure it hasn't put me on any ignore lists so far.

If you take items your character can equip with the right main stat you should not be on any ignorelists.

If you take items, say you are a trooper and needs on light armor then you might end up there :tran_wink:

Edited by Icestar

We need a third button. Need, Greed, and Companion.

Here is the problem. Your equipment is more important than your companions. Don't agree? Well think about it. Your equipment effects your performance during the entirety of the game. No matter what your doing, your equip can make it easier or harder depending.

Your companion's equipment only helps you while soloing or duo-ing. It dosent help you in PVP, it dosent help you in groups, it dosent help you in FPs and OPs. So your main character's equipment IS more important... because it helps you 100% of the time.

Now... when you roll need on a companion piece that another character in your group rolls need for their character... basically what your saying is your companion is more or equally important as them. This is just not true. This is why people get mad, and boots and ignores happen.

But we shouldn't have to roll greed for companion equipment either. Because companion equipment IS important. Greed implies you don't need it, and will just sell it. You actually do need companion equipment or your going to make things much more difficult on yourself.

The whole need/greed system is lifted from other MMO's... and it dosent take into account SWTOR's companion system. This is why I think there is such a hot debate. If there was a third option, higher priority than greed but lower than need, that would work perfectly.

You dont want to greed on a sweet sword for Khem and lose it to someone who is going to vendor it. That dosent make sense. But if you go needing on things that other players can use... then your going to have problems and friction from them. And rightly so.

Came across two flashpoints yesterday where I was verbally talked down to by a gamer each time for winning loot for my companion. I dont understand the big deal. Why the sense of entitlement over another gamer? If I see an item that would be needed for my companion to equip im going to roll for it. If someone else wins it, cool, good for them as far as im concerned. If i win it f, suddenly there are problems.

First flashpoint came across an item, i passed as neither i nor my companions needed it, Second one selected need for my tank. Got it. Third one, great for my tank, selected need, got it again. Then got told I was scum and voted off.

Second one, passed on two items, third one great for my tank, selected need and was told I had no right if it was for my companion and that I cant select need. I say why not? Out of 13 loot drops in that flashpoint i chose need on 2. How is that greedy?

As far as im concerned, im a paid subscriber. Why should some other gamer dictate to me what I can or cannot do to benefit them? If someone wants help on a mission or flashpoint and asks me, ill have no problem helping them but if i see something my tank needs, im selecting need. Im certainly not going to cry over it if someone else wins it. This sense of entitlement over someone else is baffling. There is no rulebook in the game that states that you cant do it and everyone who rolls for it has an equal chance

idiots like you piss me off. My ignore lists are ever growing because of this.

PRIORITIES:

actual players gear > your bloody companions gear

I follow what I've perceive as the "accepted" social convention: I only Need on items my Character can (and will) use. I Greed on all Premiums items. If a Prototype drops that my Companion really needs, I ask first whether anyone minds if I Need on it for my Comp. Every group with which I've done that has allowed me to Need for my Companion. Perhaps they were just trying to keep the Healer happy? And for the record, just because a Prototype item drops that my Class can use doesn't mean I will Need on it. It has to be an upgrade to my current gear or I just Greed it.

As with so many issues that cause players to make rant posts, a little communication goes a long way.

Came across two flashpoints yesterday where I was verbally talked down to by a gamer each time for winning loot for my companion. I dont understand the big deal. Why the sense of entitlement over another gamer? If I see an item that would be needed for my companion to equip im going to roll for it. If someone else wins it, cool, good for them as far as im concerned. If i win it f, suddenly there are problems.

Most players in flashpoints (in any group really) feel that Need only applies to your character and that Greed covers all other options for wanting it. So if you roll for an item not for your class they consider you to be ninjalooting. And will kick you from the group.

You personally may feel different but as you discovered, a private opinion does not mean much if the rest of the team disagrees with it.

So, in the future, only roll need on items for your class, or ask ahead of actually rolling if it is ok to roll need for your alt or companion. It the group is ok with it you can go ahead, if not then you should just roll Greed on non-class items.

I follow what I've perceive as the "accepted" social convention: I only Need on items my Character can (and will) use. I Greed on all Premiums items. If a Prototype drops that my Companion really needs, I ask first whether anyone minds if I Need on it for my Comp. Every group with which I've done that has allowed me to Need for my Companion. Perhaps they were just trying to keep the Healer happy? And for the record, just because a Prototype item drops that my Class can use doesn't mean I will Need on it. It has to be an upgrade to my current gear or I just Greed it.

As with so many issues that cause players to make rant posts, a little communication goes a long way.

Yes if players actually communicate it is acceptable to roll need for a companion, if the team agrees before the roll is made. No social laws will be broken, no drama will be started and you will not end up on anyones ignorelist either.

We all know what happens when you assume.

Go back and read the entire thread before you make another false accusation or statement.

As I said, it is possible to see both sides of a debate, just as it is possible to be one jerk amongst many.

Go back and read the entire thread and see that I never said YOU roll need for your companion. I was simply explaining why others think you roll need for your companion. To be honest though, its not worth anyone's time to go back and read 70 pages of you being the only person defending the OP.

The only people singled out amongst the many are you and the OP lol

Edited by CharleyDanger

Go back and read the entire thread and see that I never said YOU roll need for your companion. I was simply explaining why others think you roll need for your companion. To be honest though, its not worth anyone's time to go back and read 70 pages of you being the only person defending the OP.

The only people singled out amongst the many are you and the OP lol

There you go again, making false statements. If you actually had taken my advice and gone back and read the entire thread, you would have noticed that I am far from the only person "defending the OP".