This could have been the MMO King...

sanzuu

You want to see a community pull out the communal flamethrower real quick? Mention World of Warcraft on the Iron Citadel server. Every time some idiot does that in general chat on Drummond Kaas, the results are not pretty. :D

Lol sounds like Bria carebears from swg...

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You want to see a community pull out the communal flamethrower real quick? Mention World of Warcraft on the Iron Citadel server. Every time some idiot does that in general chat on Drummond Kaas, the results are not pretty. :D

Crud, I rolled on the wrong server then.

This is funny, what big word did I "make-up"? If you think the word "analogy" is made up then I truly your post is an oxymoron (think that word is made up too?). Also, sorry if I'm not taking the time to edit my stuff. I do enough of that in my college/military carrer, so forgive me if I don't feel like editing posts on a gaming forum. Anyways, you never answered my original question. Instead you been acting like a kid, which maybe you are?

GetEm

This game could have been the best MMO on the market today, it could have stolen a Hell of a lot of WoW subs, if not for the following;

1) The quest system. I'm sure many people enjoy this style of questing, the cinematic voice acting thing which allows you to RP/ feel involved, but really, its just a chore. No one wants to have to take part in a long conversation just to be told to go and kill 10 mobs, collect 10 furs, etc. Part of the fun of an MMO is being able to switch-off sometimes, and just grind out your quests. A large proportion of the MMO PvP community just doesn't care in the slightest for roleplaying and has no patience for this type of thing. I have 5 friends that quit this game within a day simply because of this; they said they'd play otherwise. I fear this style of questing will put off more people than it pulls in.

2) Too much instancing. This feels like a dead game, and my server is apparently 'very heavy. There's no atmosphere. I want to feel like I'm in a bustling environment, not like I'm in a singleplayer game with IM capabilities.

3) No addons. This is critical. Part of the success of WoW is due to people being able to mod, within reason, the game to their tastes. I personally hate the custom WoW UI. I might not have played the game if not for addons that enable me to change it. How many people do you think chose not to play SWTOR because of something similar?

4) 1.5 second GCD/un-responsive system. Need I say more? Everybody wants an MMO as responsive as WoWs, and with the resources at Biowares disposable, I'd say they had the opportunity to make it.

5) The little things; honestly, did you not listen to your beta testers? Tracking buffs/debuffs on the UI is horrible, there is no targets target, there's no way to turn off the smart camera, too much CC, there's no scoreboard during Warzones, intros/voices at the start of Warzones. I mean come on, seriously? No targets target in an MMO? I don't care if they plan on adding it later, this is an important feature. Many of these small gripes could be solved by solving #3... implementing addons.

There are many things this game does right. The combat looks amazing, the talent trees/classes are well-designed and fun. The world is beautiful and interesting, and the graphic style colourful and fun, but this is not an innovative MMO, nor one that improves on the current standard for MMO's. This is the most expensive video game ever made, but it seems they spent 90% of that on voice acting...

Edit: I am also well aware that many of these things might be solved further down the line, but this is not the way to release a game... you'd think EA have pretty good people working in market analysis... people will not come back, buyers have very little patience. No excuse. Release a finished product and people will stay.

1.) You can skip quest dialog by pressing space bar

2.)Instances are for class and group quests only

3.) If you can't play a game without addons, well i'm sorry there's nothing i can do for you. learn to play without them don't rely to much on other sources that can break or be gone in a few weeks to help you play a game.

4.) I find that PvP and PvE are faster paced even with the 1.5sec GCD you need to chain your abilities correctly

5.) i agree on the smart cam. I like not having a dmg score board in pvp keep people focused on the objective. Theres a hot key for target of target. CC is only useful when there is no resolve and it seems to work for this way. (Most in 5 are personal preferences more than anything)

1.5 second gcd ensures this game will be ezmode mark my words the pvp will be predictable, the pve will be ezmode and beaten the first week of release etc etc. Just gonna hit 50 beta everything out and continue WoW raiding since heroic mode is still a helluva a challenge.

After raiding and running arena and rbgs on my old mage in WoW, I know for a fact the class I'm playing now is a lot more complex (I also levelled up every other class available, and raided on another 3.) I left WoW 4 months ago as there's no challenge there and Blizzard have run out of ideas (Kung Fu pandas - haha.) As pve content being beaten the first week of release - we'll see. However I know that groups of randoms with no knowledge of the fights have been taking Deathwing down since day 1 of the Raid finder. That's supposed to be the ultimate big-bad of the expansion - beaten in hours by just about anyone who can be bothered. Sure you can go back in with th edifficulty turned up to 11 - but for what? It's been beaten - it's done. You want an extra +5 points on your gear that'll be replaced an hour into the panda expansion?

Anyway, good luck. I had great fun in WoW in vanilla and BC. I suspect though that he only reason most have stayed since then has been lack of competition. I hope the imbeciles do keep playing WoW though. We don't want them here.

This game could have been the best MMO on the market today, it could have stolen a Hell of a lot of WoW subs, if not for the following;

1) The quest system. I'm sure many people enjoy this style of questing, the cinematic voice acting thing which allows you to RP/ feel involved, but really, its just a chore. No one wants to have to take part in a long conversation just to be told to go and kill 10 mobs, collect 10 furs, etc. Part of the fun of an MMO is being able to switch-off sometimes, and just grind out your quests. A large proportion of the MMO PvP community just doesn't care in the slightest for roleplaying and has no patience for this type of thing. I have 5 friends that quit this game within a day simply because of this; they said they'd play otherwise. I fear this style of questing will put off more people than it pulls in

Big reason I got the game, i mean it is a lot better than just go kill 10 <fill in blank> because you get xp, like in wow. There is the space bar button. BTW who the hell plays a video game and doesn't plan on being involved in the story line, like seriously you played Super mario, because you just like getting coins, or was it to save the princess

2) Too much instancing. This feels like a dead game, and my server is apparently 'very heavy. There's no atmosphere. I want to feel like I'm in a bustling environment, not like I'm in a singleplayer game with IM capabilities.

Agreed, sort of. a little less instancing, not to much tho

3) No addons. This is critical. Part of the success of WoW is due to people being able to mod, within reason, the game to their tastes. I personally hate the custom WoW UI. I might not have played the game if not for addons that enable me to change it. How many people do you think chose not to play SWTOR because of something similar?

If they chose not to play base on UI, they are just spoiled by Add-ons, not going to say TOR doesnt need them, but seriouslu, kids these days,

4) 1.5 second GCD/un-responsive system. Need I say more? Everybody wants an MMO as responsive as WoWs, and with the resources at Biowares disposable, I'd say they had the opportunity to make it.

1.5 GCD is bullcrap for sure. at time the system is a bit laggy, but not much for me, other complain all day about this.

5) The little things; honestly, did you not listen to your beta testers? Tracking buffs/debuffs on the UI is horrible, there is no targets target, there's no way to turn off the smart camera, too much CC, there's no scoreboard during Warzones, intros/voices at the start of Warzones. I mean come on, seriously? No targets target in an MMO? I don't care if they plan on adding it later, this is an important feature. Many of these small gripes could be solved by solving #3... implementing addons.

Can't argue with this at all.

There are many things this game does right. The combat looks amazing, the talent trees/classes are well-designed and fun. The world is beautiful and interesting, and the graphic style colourful and fun, but this is not an innovative MMO, nor one that improves on the current standard for MMO's. This is the most expensive video game ever made, but it seems they spent 90% of that on voice acting...

All of this too.

Edit: I am also well aware that many of these things might be solved further down the line, but this is not the way to release a game... you'd think EA have pretty good people working in market analysis... people will not come back, buyers have very little patience. No excuse. Release a finished product and people will stay.

^too. get it together before these forum chase away a player base.

1- First off, you're wrong, you can skip the cutscenes, and no, you don't have five friends who quit over this, because I don't believe you know 5 people stupid enough to not check if there was a way to disable something they didn't like before quitting the game. Second off, your opinion that having a story behind why you're going to kill things or do things is a chore, but that just doing kill x of y for 85 levels is better is simply wrong.

2- I've yet to see dead zones. Sure, it's not as crowded as a WoW 'hot zone', but consider that in TOR, there's alot more choice of where to go- in WoW, 95% of the population is in the main city, unless something is released (like firelands) in which case 95% of the population is in firelands. So, that's matter of opinion- some people like fighting for spawns. The time you spend in individual instances is pretty small in this game- generally for story quests or fighting a mini boss- most of it is spent in the world itself. Regardless, while these can definitely be points of opinion, this is hardly a 'this game will fail' point if it's something that a- brings something MANY if not most people like, and b- offers something different from the main competition (though, pretty clear the OP doesn't want different)

3- Guess what genius, there's no add ons at the beginning of every game- because they're player made. It would be days, weeks, months before decent add ons showed up- and frankly, most add ons are very far from necessary in average play- add ons generally are cosmetic, and become a vital factor for raiding and competitive pvp, both of which aren't an interest of a majority of the playerbase to begin with, but in the first few weeks, only that top 1% of players who powered their way to max already are actually interested in that, and those are typically the players who are good enough to manage without mods anyway.

4- The game does seem to lack the same amount of time you can load your next ability as WoW does, however, on a good computer/connection, it isn't unresponsive. So yes, the game isn't as forgiving to poor connections... but if you had a good connection, you wouldn't have that problem to begin with. This is something that'll be patched in, and while a minor nuisance, isn't game breaking.

5- Almost all of these are things most people wouldn't find game breaker, in fact, many won't even care.

In total, you have said zero things that are actually things that can ruin the game... several things that are completely opinion and would be agreed on by some and disagreed by others... and then several things that are simply wrong. Not a great argument, bro.

Releasing a game smoothly, fairly lag free, I played most of the headstart most of each day without finding many glitches (saw someone bug at a taxi once, got caught in the land twice but /stuck fixed it, and have seen several gather nodes on Dromund Kaas that couldn't be used) all of which were minor, with a complete levelling game sounds like the way you should release a game.

Also, they've released pretty much every big thing they said they would put in, there was no 'we took out four main cities, four classes, there's no raids/endgame sieges and more or less everything is bugged out at endgame that is there' (WAR), there's no 'we released Tortuga, but the next 60 levels have no content', there's no 'this game is literally WoW, no innovation, no trying to do things better' (Rift, Aion, etc...).

Smooth launch, smooth running game- if getting a story with your kill twenty bears pisses you off so much that your friends are leaving, well, go enjoy your grindfest, you have hundreds to choose from.

TOR offers something different- if you don't want different, have fun with your pandas.

I get tired of the talking too, but i still want to read the story, What i do is turn on subtitles so they always show in the preferences menu and I just turn down talking in sound options and I read the story and press space, I can get through the Quests much faster and still read the story.

Sometimes i'm in the mood for for the voice acting sometimes I just prefer to read it and get to the quest myself.

This game could have been the best MMO on the market today, it could have stolen a Hell of a lot of WoW subs, if not for the following.

Soooo... the game hasn't even been officially released for a full day yet and you're already condemning it to doom? You do know they will fix bugs, right? You do know they will add new features as time goes on, right? It's the first day!

Interesting fight again between WoW and SWTOR.

You know what I play both games, what ppl forget to undestand why SWTOR has the upper hand in launch agains WoW, it's simple because most of you are living in 2011.

Simply put, HARDWARE. It is common those days, or generally when somone liks thing 1 better than 2 to trash thing 1, catch my drift?

90% of you little cats here played WoW and enjoyed it. Everyone had it's fun time, for years and yes WoW it's dying and we're all burned out of it, but that it doesn't mean you have to trash it now, well of course the fact that you do, simply says enough, about how much respect you have for yourself spending years into something (those years are still yours...)

However,

When WoW came out it was a beast of an game, and speaking in server language, it was an pure killer. They couldn't simply implement base elements in the game because the servers were not fast enough to support 3k people, or better said, to handle what the game was even designed.

Back in the day, (for those of you big mouthers <<WoW was bad>>), you even yourselves didn't had a pc powerful enough to run the game. Not even to speak about the server itself. I remember those days pretty well, core duo's were were too expensive to build, such processor was (in today's money) about 550 euros, compared (again today's money) i5 2500k at 180 euros... and a total system would have costed above 2k euros instead of 1k you pay today.

Back in the day the software was too demanding for the hardware....

Nowdays, it's completelly otherwise. The hardware it's way too fast (generally speaking) for the software released.

Most of you are running quad cores with videocards that can pull the games released today, much easier, than you could with the 6 years games with the same 6 years old hardware.

The point it, I'm not supporting WoW either, altough I play WoW and SWTOR, but I hate to see how ppl are making judgements without any knowledge and speak only from their own perspective ignoring the the real facts.

Simply put, consider this:

--WoW, 6 years ago, latest bad-*** mmo in the world running on (at that time) servers that were dual processed in-line connected hardware.

--SWTOR, 2011 that proly runs on multiple hexacore xeon's server configuration...need I say more?

I think we all can agree on this.....

1. its a great game so fat with good content... yes its not perfect but as stated its day one

2. the ui needs a makeover

3. the whole scoreboard? who the **** cares... i am a hxc pvper if your lost trying to figure out how well your doing you dony deserve to pvp... pvp is all about ****eb someone up why lose your train of thought on scores?

4. A better lfg would be nice.but once again its day one..

5. There alwas people qqing about things first week of a nee mmo... BUt maybe.people need to think before speaking

6. also this thread going no were.... i believe we all understand its a good but.not perfect game and nost mmo start that way. just play the ****en game thats all... do your thing you like pvping go kill players and go gear up... you like raiding get the **** off the forums and go lvl to raid... but most of all enjoy the games.

7. IMO **** addons mmo arent meant to be played with them..

1- First off, you're wrong, you can skip the cutscenes, and no, you don't have five friends who quit over this, because I don't believe you know 5 people stupid enough to not check if there was a way to disable something they didn't like before quitting the game. Second off, your opinion that having a story behind why you're going to kill things or do things is a chore, but that just doing kill x of y for 85 levels is better is simply wrong.

2- I've yet to see dead zones. Sure, it's not as crowded as a WoW 'hot zone', but consider that in TOR, there's alot more choice of where to go- in WoW, 95% of the population is in the main city, unless something is released (like firelands) in which case 95% of the population is in firelands. So, that's matter of opinion- some people like fighting for spawns. The time you spend in individual instances is pretty small in this game- generally for story quests or fighting a mini boss- most of it is spent in the world itself. Regardless, while these can definitely be points of opinion, this is hardly a 'this game will fail' point if it's something that a- brings something MANY if not most people like, and b- offers something different from the main competition (though, pretty clear the OP doesn't want different)

3- Guess what genius, there's no add ons at the beginning of every game- because they're player made. It would be days, weeks, months before decent add ons showed up- and frankly, most add ons are very far from necessary in average play- add ons generally are cosmetic, and become a vital factor for raiding and competitive pvp, both of which aren't an interest of a majority of the playerbase to begin with, but in the first few weeks, only that top 1% of players who powered their way to max already are actually interested in that, and those are typically the players who are good enough to manage without mods anyway.

4- The game does seem to lack the same amount of time you can load your next ability as WoW does, however, on a good computer/connection, it isn't unresponsive. So yes, the game isn't as forgiving to poor connections... but if you had a good connection, you wouldn't have that problem to begin with. This is something that'll be patched in, and while a minor nuisance, isn't game breaking.

5- Almost all of these are things most people wouldn't find game breaker, in fact, many won't even care.

In total, you have said zero things that are actually things that can ruin the game... several things that are completely opinion and would be agreed on by some and disagreed by others... and then several things that are simply wrong. Not a great argument, bro.

Releasing a game smoothly, fairly lag free, I played most of the headstart most of each day without finding many glitches (saw someone bug at a taxi once, got caught in the land twice but /stuck fixed it, and have seen several gather nodes on Dromund Kaas that couldn't be used) all of which were minor, with a complete levelling game sounds like the way you should release a game.

Also, they've released pretty much every big thing they said they would put in, there was no 'we took out four main cities, four classes, there's no raids/endgame sieges and more or less everything is bugged out at endgame that is there' (WAR), there's no 'we released Tortuga, but the next 60 levels have no content', there's no 'this game is literally WoW, no innovation, no trying to do things better' (Rift, Aion, etc...).

Smooth launch, smooth running game- if getting a story with your kill twenty bears pisses you off so much that your friends are leaving, well, go enjoy your grindfest, you have hundreds to choose from.

TOR offers something different- if you don't want different, have fun with your pandas.

1) First off, you're wrong. You can't skip the cut-scenes, you can skip to the next line of dialogue. It is of my opinion that the cinematic questing puts more people off this game than it draws in.

2) I very often feel like I'm in a single player game, and I often see dead zones.

3) There's no addons at the beginning of this game, because the devs have not allowed for addons. WoW had addons from the beginning. Albeit quite buggy ones, but addons nonetheless.

4) My connection has no impact on the server latency. The game is not very responsive.

5) Some people like functionality and good design in games they devote time too, and pay for.

Given everything they did right and everything in the game currently, this is far more polished then any MMO on the market. You can say Rift also had a great start, which is true, but SWTOR by comparison, the focus was difference. And if you compare this game to WoW...remember WoW had no PvP, no raids (unless you count scholo/ubrs/lbrs/strat) for the first 10 months. Edited by silverdanta

Well guess what mister genius there, before you say something do some research first.

Yes addon's are player made but you can't do anything in a game unless the game developer has released the SDK which from what I read they didn't.

As long as there isn't any SDK out the game interface will remain hardcoded.

I love the game, no achievements needed to do anything no addons so they can keep track of howmuch dps u are doing even if your job is cc u still need to be at the top dps otherwise next time u cant come on the raid. No one is getting freaking macros so they can do 3 things at ones while i have to do them one at a time and no complaining about your low battleground rating and how they could lose a freaking point if they would give u a chance to come with the high lvl rated no livers that have nothing else to do did play mmo 24/24 7/7. with SWOR u can do your thing and i can finally enjoy a game on my time without having to play when the others play. It the best game so far and wow sucks nugaballs now because its only fun for hardcore players anymore.

1) First off, you're wrong. You can't skip the cut-scenes, you can skip to the next line of dialogue. It is of my opinion that the cinematic questing puts more people off this game than it draws in.

Ill go ahead and stop you right there..... look in the options buddy. Know your facts before you start posting next time. kthx

Edited by MrLeee

I disagree with every single one of your points.

Go back to WoW.

You know what? Until game developers can start to release MMO's that aren't just clunky WoW clones then I will. This game has done absolutely nothing innovative at all, and on almost everything it copies, (almost all aspects of the gam), it does worse. It's a very nice looking game, and I like how the melee combat looks, but aside from that, crap. Half the dialogue sounds like its been straight ripped from a **** scene its so bad.

Guild Wars 2, fingers crossed.

Edited by sanzuu