Armormech and Synthweaving are pointless

Madprophetus

I wasn't aware, and that says quite a bit since I have put a decent bit of time in this.

Things are kind of mixed up with the mission skills, I personally dropped UT since it's much more profitable to simply buy stuff and generate money for that with slicing.

Yea, I've found about fifteen Synthweaving schematics from Underworld Metals missions, and all but two of the thirteen Armormech schematics I've found have been for Republic classes.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One positive aspect of the armor making professions is being able to upgrade companions as you advance. The quest rewards you get for them are green for the first 30 levels and unless you equip them with decent updrades they just tend to die a lot :(.

It's also useful for alts and having those alts with decent gear for their level is useful ;).

I am new to this game, so I am not claiming to be any sort of expert, but I can say that none of my armor is orange, 90% is made by me and it I upgrade any of the orange drops I have had so far they don't have the stats my armor does, Esp. if it is Reverse Engineered.

Again, I am not saying anyone is wrong, these are my personal findings.

One positive aspect of the armor making professions is being able to upgrade companions as you advance. The quest rewards you get for them are green for the first 30 levels and unless you equip them with decent updrades they just tend to die a lot .

Yeah, but you can give them orange gear too, especially if they can wear your hand-me-downs (troopers rock for this), and then if you have Cyber you can keep their mods fresh. You can also hand-me-down mods to them if they have the same core stat you do and have orange gear.

I am new to this game, so I am not claiming to be any sort of expert, but I can say that none of my armor is orange, 90% is made by me and it I upgrade any of the orange drops I have had so far they don't have the stats my armor does, Esp.

When you first get an orange piece it probably isn't worth much, but if you put the best mods you can find for them in they will likely outshine crafted gear at any level. It gives you some place to put all those dozens of commendations that you can't convert upwards anymore.

Do Oranges exist in every armor slot? I've seen orange chest pieces and lets, but so far (granted, not yet level 20) I have not seen oranges in any of the other slots.

So as a synthweaver, I am still making for myself:

• boots
  • gloves
  • belt
  • bracers

That's 4 slots where I am using crafted blues/purples that are much better than the quest rewards I have gotten. Plus once you start finding orange recipes for the chest/legs slot, you have customization options.

Maybe later on in the game you can get orange dropped gear in every armor slot, in which case, that might change the situation.

Frankly, with the commendation system for planets its cheaper to maintain mod gear than it is to replace gear with set stats once you get a full set of orange.

And this is where Cybertechs get trivialized, too.

Which would be equally the case if Armormechs had the armoring schematics.

So, no, I don't think the problem with Armormechs is that they don't have armoring.

Do Oranges exist in every armor slot? I've seen orange chest pieces and lets, but so far (granted, not yet level 20) I have not seen oranges in any of the other slots.

You can buy orange boots from the light/dark side vendors with lvl 27 or so. The republic dark side vendor also has a pair of heavy armor orange gloves, which is kind of odd, since the light side vendor apparently doesn't.

Armor crafters can craft better orange gear than dropped orange gear. End of story.

Last time I checked, all orange gear was equal.

Also, crafting skills are about making money, no one would do spend money on leveling them if people wouldn't want to buy the gear they make.

Not everyone feels this way. I have enjoyed crafting to make gear for my friends and alts. I typically don't enjoy the "auction house" part of the game and have better things to do with my time.

I understand your point, but if everyone would stop trying to reduce every argument to "nobody wants to x" or "the only way to do it is y" and accept that different folks enjoy different strokes, we could cut down on a lot of the drama on the boards.

Read the thread responses above. Some people like to maintain their oranges, some people like to make purple armor and both are valid ways for people to enjoy playing the game.

I would say furthermore, I have never played an mmo where armormaking skills weren't of possibly dubious value while leveling up. The analysis should be made at what can be crafted in the end game and I haven't seen a lot info in this thread about end-game viability for armormaking/synthweaving.

OK, so I don't get why Armormech can make armor, which is made up of armoring, but can't make armoring? That's pretty odd.

Artifice/Armstech can both make hilts and barrels, respectively. Why armormech (which makes subpar gear once you start getting into instances) can't make Armoring mods is beyond me.

Just to break it down, here's each trade and what they make:

Artifice/Armstech:

Main/Off Hand Weapons

Hilts/Barrels

Biochem:

Adrenals

MedPacks

Stims

Implants

Synthweaving/Armortech:

Armor

Cybertech:

Droid Armor

Droid Parts

Droid Motors

Mod Slot Items for EVERY item

Armoring Mods

Mounts

Grenades

Gadgets

Earpieces

I don't understand why armormech and synthweaving both make gear that is absolutely inferior to orange dropped gear with cybertech mods. Artifice/Armstech both complement the orange gear concept really well. I am hoping it's an oversight that leaves armormech out there in irrelevant space and that it will be corrected.

Reverse engineering creates some amazing pieces that I have yet to see replaced in instances. Granted I am only level 27, but my crafted epic belt, epic gloves, and blue bracers cant be touched yet.

OK, so I don't get why Armormech can make armor, which is made up of armoring, but can't make armoring? That's pretty odd.

Artifice/Armstech can both make hilts and barrels, respectively. Why armormech (which makes subpar gear once you start getting into instances) can't make Armoring mods is beyond me.

Just to break it down, here's each trade and what they make:

Artifice/Armstech:

Main/Off Hand Weapons

Hilts/Barrels

Biochem:

Adrenals

MedPacks

Stims

Implants

Synthweaving/Armortech:

Armor

Cybertech:

Droid Armor

Droid Parts

Droid Motors

Mod Slot Items for EVERY item

Armoring Mods

Mounts

Grenades

Gadgets

Earpieces

I don't understand why armormech and synthweaving both make gear that is absolutely inferior to orange dropped gear with cybertech mods. Artifice/Armstech both complement the orange gear concept really well. I am hoping it's an oversight that leaves armormech out there in irrelevant space and that it will be corrected.

iam synth myself and tbh if you put effort into RE and get purples out of your schematics, they are allways better than any drops

Got my armormech to 300ish an only now im seeing how useless it is, mainly because i made an alt an got its cyber tech to the same level an can make Any orange armor better/just as good as any purple i can make and its was also ALOT!!!!! cheaper basicly say your a tank type you just make the 1 tank type armor/mod item green-blue-purple an then make the 7purples you need for full set of gear.....or maybe 8/9 on the mods for your weapons aswell.... ohh and then make your Ear piece to a purple aswell seems as it was so cheap quick an easy up to this point.....an then selll mods to the suckers that went armormech.

Ok now get a full set of purple with armormech, lets start from the head make the head green-blue-purple, now chest green- blue- purple now the..... i thnk your maybe seeing the point here to make the full set you have to grind through 7...thats 7!!!! item slots to get to the purple (assumeing you havent now out leveled it an need to work on the next green-blue- purple) now say but you can make oranges with an Aug slot tho...you seriously useing this as an argument for it being worth it. Your saying i can make an item have an extra slot to put 1 more mod that i CANT EVEN MAKE!!!.

Saying this i wont drop armormech...not yet anyway (invested too much into it) i have a cyber to make my mods i need so i can just keep sending mats that way, an now just hope they re-think armormech cos its just useless.

on reflection i think they droped the ball with armormech with giveing away oranges left an right they should have had it armormech exclusive only. this would have made it atleast worth going into it. but no, as it is you pick up commendations you get orange fully twinked out with mods for no real effort. and the fact your companions can wear full set of oranges just hammers the point home cos again it would have been atleast worth going into to get your companions geared.

Armor crafters can craft better orange gear than dropped orange gear. End of story.

You're sure?

I'm also thinking of dropping armormech and go cybertech. Somebody said it's possible to craft orange items with augment slots which never will be on dropped gear, I already got a quest rewardcontaining an augment slot...

Armormech just looks like a profession to feed twinks with gear once reached Max skill level.

One thing you also HAVE to consider is that armormech schematics from RE'ing is a lot less predictable than what you get from RE'ing mods.

E.g. You reverse engineer say skill 5 armor mod and you'll get a blue skill 5 armor mod with a couple more points of endurance and cunning and a slightly higher armor rating. As the way I have seen it and understand it... this is a given. Whenever I RE a pair of green "tactical assault boots" I may get a pair of blue "Overkill Tactical Assault Boots" with slightly better stats and +power/crit. OR I might get "Redoubt tactical assault boots" with slightly better stats and +def rating.

As a merc bounty hunter I might want one but not the other (+def rating is useless to me). There's no guarantee or even a likely hood that with 20 RE's I'll get the specific blue schematic that I want.

The crafted gear seems to have decent stats once you get the upgraded recipes. The main trouble I'm seeing with any of my crafts is the incredible time sink that harvesting is. It seems to take forever to get enough materials together to craft enough items to RE into purple recipes.

One thing you also HAVE to consider is that armormech schematics from RE'ing is a lot less predictable than what you get from RE'ing mods.

E.g. You reverse engineer say skill 5 armor mod and you'll get a blue skill 5 armor mod with a couple more points of endurance and cunning and a slightly higher armor rating. As the way I have seen it and understand it... this is a given. Whenever I RE a pair of green "tactical assault boots" I may get a pair of blue "Overkill Tactical Assault Boots" with slightly better stats and +power/crit. OR I might get "Redoubt tactical assault boots" with slightly better stats and +def rating.

As a merc bounty hunter I might want one but not the other (+def rating is useless to me). There's no guarantee or even a likely hood that with 20 RE's I'll get the specific blue schematic that I want.

so... by RE'ing using armormech you immediatly get better gear than the last one?

you have just proven that Synchweaving is utterly insignificant..

If you reverse engineer something with that, you just get 1 to 3 totally random materials which cannot even be used for new armor without grinding at least 4 times the mats or sending ur companion on a gathering mission and hope he or she gets the right materials..

and whats more

the gear you can craft is not even that great in comparison to quest rewards.. I put so much effort in raising my skill level..

And they really need to do something about the schematics you find for the other crafting skill, or the other faction.. coz that is the MOST useless thing ever.. it would've made things better if they let you send mails to your alts of the opposite faction.

ofc I know reasons for not allowing it, but not everyone is RP.. I for instance play MMO's coz I want to play with my friends and like to keep in contact with them.

so it would've helped if I could add their characters from the other faction to my friendlist.

but back to topic:

Synchweaving is turning more useless the longer you have it..

Edited by Ordryth

so... by RE'ing using armormech you immediatly get better gear than the last one?

It might not be clear from that specific post but we're actually on the same side of this argument. I think that Armormech and Synthweaving are the 2 tradeskills that are either A)totally worthless or B) lowest return for your investment.

And while we're on the subject.... They also need to fix Underworld trading... If I get one more Synthweaving recipee while doing a quest for Underworld METAL... I swear....

Edited by Sticksabbi

I've got Armormech on my BH at around 220 skill level and one problem I've found is that I've spent, easily, 50,000 credits on it, and only made around 7,000 back. One big problem is that, for some stupid reason, I keep getting Synthweaving schematics from my Underworld Metal missions, and the Armormech Schematics that I DO get are all republic class required. Its a bit of a fiasco right now, and I'm thinking of dropping it soon if it doesn't start to pan out. Right now, all Armormech is is a hole to throw money into.

Just wanted to highlight this.

If you reverse engineer something with that, you just get 1 to 3 totally random materials which cannot even be used for new armor without grinding at least 4 times the mats or sending ur companion on a gathering mission and hope he or she gets the right materials..

and whats more

the gear you can craft is not even that great in comparison to quest rewards.. I put so much effort in raising my skill level..

And they really need to do something about the schematics you find for the other crafting skill, or the other faction.. coz that is the MOST useless thing ever.. it would've made things better if they let you send mails to your alts of the opposite faction.

ofc I know reasons for not allowing it, but not everyone is RP.. I for instance play MMO's coz I want to play with my friends and like to keep in contact with them.

so it would've helped if I could add their characters from the other faction to my friendlist.

but back to topic:

Synchweaving is turning more useless the longer you have it..

Hmm, I'm curious how many blue and purple recipes you have. I doubt any, other than what you've gotten from the trainer.

Craft 8-10 greens.

Reverse engineer them.

You should get at least 1 blue recipe opened up.

Craft 8-10 blues.

Reverse engineer them.

You should get at least 1 purple recipe opened up.

If not, try again.

One thing to keep in mind is playstyles as well. Some of us either dont have a powerful enough computer to run instances (me), or are not likely to run them anyways. For some people, armor crafting is just fine, for some it isn't. Besides, synthweave is better for jedi anyway:) i tried to make some for my trooper and it just wasnt great.